Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birb Katter posted:

Just the hostages.

Ah yes, the Archer school of resolving hostage situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Birb Katter posted:

So the ACT Liberals are coming out strongly in favour of a moratorium on infrastructure projects that may damage the natural beauty of an area.

They released their alternative today which is, in an uncharacteristic display of long term vision, a bus.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-liberals-alternatives-options-paper-for-northbourne-avenue-20151213-glmoru.html

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

open24hours posted:

They released their alternative today which is, in an uncharacteristic display of long term vision, a bus.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-liberals-alternatives-options-paper-for-northbourne-avenue-20151213-glmoru.html

Please don't forget

tfa posted:

the ACT opposition has proposed bus and cycle lanes

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

#thereABC posted:

Former MP Craig Thomson ordered to pay $458,000 for breaching Fair Work Act
Former federal MP Craig Thomson has been ordered to pay $458,000 for breaching the Fair Work Act.

The judgment was handed down in the Federal Court this morning and relates to Thomson's improper use of union funds between 2003 and 2009.

Justice Christopher Jessup ordered Thomson to pay the Health Services Union $231,234 compensation plus $146,937 in interest.

In addition, Thomson will also be required to pay a $80,000 fine to Fair Work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Birb Katter posted:

Just the hostages.

Was it reported elsewhere that it was gunshots that did that? Because the guy was wanted over a stabbing earlier.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-15/martin-place-siege-what-we-do-and-do-not-know/7021524

quote:

It has been exactly one year since Man Haron Monis :devil:unleashed hell:devil: in Sydney's Martin Place and yet many questions about the siege remain unanswered.

Reminder that two people were killed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neither of them by Monis.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Monis was cool and good because two white people died.

What this thread actually believes.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Laserface posted:

Monis was cool and good because two white people died.

Yes this is clearly what we have said regarding this issue.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Birb Katter posted:

Craig Thompson's fine

Isn't he basically completely broke, unemployed, and mooching off family so he can eat? How is he going to pay this, ever?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Oh shut the gently caress up you dick head.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Uh, a guy may have entered a cafe with a shotgun and held hostages for an entire day, culminating in the death of two people, but need I remind you that only two people died?

:smug:

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Birb Katter posted:

^^ don't worry, we're also a target country for economic refugees who want to leave America because they think it will go to hell in a handbasket every US election and are used to seeing it.

What gets me about this is that a big talking point domestically has been that we are racists if we don't export dirty coal to India for power generation. Does that mean that they can eat coal, but not solar panels? And if they aren't eating the coal, why are we exporting it if solar panels will do the job?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

How dare an ABC journalist use such inflammatory language like "unleash hell", when in fact only a trifling two people were shot to death. They should be guillotined IMO

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
See I interpret "unleashing hell" as a euphemism in that context.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Australian released a statement to Crikey saying it stood by the cartoon, which it said ridiculed climate change activists, not Indian people, which their readers would have understood.

“We stand by this cartoon and believe it is a strong example of Bill Leak and The Australian’s exercise of its commitment to freedom of speech. The cartoon does not intend to ridicule Indians but the climate change activists who would send poor people solar panels rather than give them something they need – cheap power, aid and a hand up,” the statement said.

“This has been a long-running theme throughout the Paris conference.

“Those following the debates in and around the Paris conference run in our pages would have realised the target of the cartoon was not Indians. It was quite the opposite. Our readers would have – and, in fact, have – understood this.”

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Neither of them by Monis.

I thought that Monis shot one (which prompted the raid) and the po-po shot the other (and Monis)?

Yeah this much of an outpouring of grief over the death toll of the average rural road accident is a bit over the top.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Not racist because freedom of speech

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lid posted:

The Australian released a statement to Crikey saying it stood by the cartoon, which it said ridiculed climate change activists, not Indian people, which their readers would have understood.

There we go, if you were offended you were wrong and stupid.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lid posted:

“We stand by this cartoon and believe it is a strong example of Bill Leak and The Australian’s exercise of its commitment to freedom of speech. The cartoon does not intend to ridicule Indians but the climate change activists who would send poor people solar panels rather than give them something they need – cheap power, aid and a hand up,” the statement said.

“This has been a long-running theme throughout the Paris conference.

“Those following the debates in and around the Paris conference run in our pages would have realised the target of the cartoon was not Indians. It was quite the opposite. Our readers would have – and, in fact, have – understood this.”

Yeah because the leftists who support renewables are the reason why food aid to the third world is inadequate

*sweeps Joe Hockey's 70% foreign aid cuts under the rug*

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

I thought that Monis shot one (which prompted the raid) and the po-po shot the other (and Monis)?

Yeah this much of an outpouring of grief over the death toll of the average rural road accident is a bit over the top.

SHUT THE gently caress UP

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Man Monis didnt do anything wrong because he was mentally unstable and a muslim.

what this thread actually believes.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

A day long hostage situation is not equivalent to road toll deaths you dishonest, equivocating assholes

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Shut up.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Man Monis didnt do anything wrong because he was mentally unstable and a muslim.

what this thread actually believes.

Wrong again.

Amethyst posted:

A day long hostage situation is not equivalent to road toll deaths you dishonest, equivocating assholes

Why?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Anethyst and Laserface are right, sometimes you guys are tremendous smug dickheads who not only don't know when to pick your battles but take the stupidest battle possible.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

Anethyst and Laserface are right, sometimes you guys are tremendous smug dickheads who not only don't know when to pick your battles but take the stupidest battle possible.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

if i'm getting ironicat over people complaining about the reaction to the Lindt Siege I can't wait to see the equivalency you have lined up :allears:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Amethyst posted:

Wait, so all it takes is length of time people are in trouble before the death toll counts? Well I'd like you to meet domestic violence because people suffer a lot longer under that and it kills way more than Monis ever did.

People probably won't give a poo poo about crocodile tears when there are obvious analogues that get ignored for the sake of agenda. hth

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birb Katter posted:

Wait, so all it takes is length of time people are in trouble before the death toll counts? Well I'd like you to meet domestic violence because people suffer a lot longer under that and it kills way more than Monis ever did.

People probably won't give a poo poo about crocodile tears when there are obvious analogues that get ignored for the sake of agenda. hth

You do loving know it's possible to care about more than one thing at once right? You do know that when you say this outside of whatever bubble you're living in you would be rightly labelled an insular hateful fuckwit right? You do know this doesn't make you superior, or better, than any of those OpEd writers who deride left wingers complaining about whatever minute issue socially of the day is compared to world hunger, or the person who says a murder is unimportant because millions are in starvation, or that emotions are useless because logic beepboop one death is less than two deaths?

Learn some maturity, sit the gently caress down, and stop posting you loving child.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

If all you can see in this situation compared to the road toll is "the length of time it took" you are either stupid, or posturing as a rational, above it all Thinker with a capital T.

It is reasonable TO SOME EXTENT to characterize fear of radical Islam as overblown panic. But to write it off completely, like you are doing, is completely absurd.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

if i'm getting ironicat over people complaining about the reaction to the Lindt Siege I can't wait to see the equivalency you have lined up :allears:

I think the ironicat might be over "tremendous smug dickheads who not only don't know when to pick your battles but take the stupidest battle possible."

The deaths in sydney were a tragedy, Monis was a tremendous rear end in a top hat, gently caress that guy. The cynical beat up by the media which has loomed over this whole affair is loving disgusting. The exploitation of this event for capital by various groups is also disgusting. It is possible to hold all of these beliefs at once.

You can be critical of the media being shitlords about this without somehow tarnishing the reality of what happened.

As an actual point of equivalency how many memorials were there to the Hectorville siege?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

I think the ironicat might be over "tremendous smug dickheads who not only don't know when to pick your battles but take the stupidest battle possible."

The deaths in sydney were a tragedy, Monis was a tremendous rear end in a top hat, gently caress that guy. The cynical beat up by the media which has loomed over this whole affair is loving disgusting. The exploitation of this event for capital by various groups is also disgusting. It is possible to hold all of these beliefs at once.

You can be critical of the media being shitlords about this without somehow tarnishing the reality of what happened.

As an actual point of equivalency how many memorials were there to the Hectorville siege?

The ironicat is lost when we're dealing with someone whose battle is literally "the Monis incident is a beat up because it's less than an average car crash". That takes a rationalist view that would make Dawkins think that maybe logic has gone too far. Or even Peter Singer.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

There have been some cynical exploitations of the event. That ABC article is not one of them. Further, your sweeping equivalency that this event is just like the road toll goes way beyond accusations of media cynicism, and I'd go as far as saying it's equally cynical in itself.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

specifically I thought you were in a pages long argument some months ago about food or some really asinine poo poo, I could be wrong

i don't disagree in this case I just think the phrase

quote:

tremendous smug dickheads who not only don't know when to pick your battles but take the stupidest battle possible.

applies to pretty much everyone here at some stage or another.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And isn't that the saddest thing? The cliche left wingers who lose because they can't see a good argument for an insane one because they are treated as equals? The ones who can be othered because when they take a perspective rather than be nuanced they be overly open to every comparison?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Monis is a fuckhead terrorist that deserved to die and we are better off without him. he had nothing of value to contribute to society.

I agree that 'unleashed hell' is heavy handed, but not because of the measly death toll. Martin Bryant 'unleashed hell'. Man Monis unleashed 24 hour news coverage of a shop front.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

The ironicat is lost when we're dealing with someone whose battle is literally "the Monis incident is a beat up because it's less than an average car crash". That takes a rationalist view that would make Dawkins think that maybe logic has gone too far. Or even Peter Singer.

Do you think "unleash hell" is a fair characterisation of what happened?

I would describe two deaths as a tragedy. Be they on the road, in domestic violence or in any other circumstance. Do you think visibility actually impacts how serious the loss is?

Why do we have a road toll (cost that must be paid) but not a terrorism toll.

I think this is a tragedy but also an inevitable result of policies and culture that alienate, isolate and provide no support for the mentally ill. Just like I see domestic violence deaths as a result of policies and culture that oppresses women.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

Do you think "unleash hell" is a fair characterisation of what happened?

I would describe two deaths as a tragedy. Be they on the road, in domestic violence or in any other circumstance. Do you think visibility actually impacts how serious the loss is?

Why do we have a road toll (cost that must be paid) but not a terrorism toll.

I think this is a tragedy but also an inevitable result of policies and culture that alienate, isolate and provide no support for the mentally ill. Just like I see domestic violence deaths as a result of policies and culture that oppresses women.

Wow, I'm glad we have Reasonable, Smart men like you around to decide when phrases like "unleash hell" are chuckle worthy offences from idiots and when "tragedy" should be applied. This is a worthwhile discussion and definitely not a circlejerk between self important dweebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
orkin mang would've stopped it all

• Locked thread