Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

open24hours posted:

Do you really want to defend Islam? I mean Islam isn't any worse than any other religion, but it's not the religion you want to be defending so much as pluralism.

I want to defend peoples right to believe in a God, and religion, if it brings them peace and they are a good person, but don't think that means I'm religious or don't think that any person who is a literalist to their religion isn't hateful or bigoted. We would never confuse Khaled Sharrouff with Waleed Aly in the Muslim stakes, and Aly is a drat better representation of the average Muslim in regards to their treatment of the religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I had food poisoning once and I felt slightly radicalized and a strong desire to visit a doctor in Syria to cure me.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

open24hours posted:

Mate what we need is a task force, a cop of every corner, a royal commission, a summit, and retreat. We'll get on top of this radicalisation issue if it kills us.

Do you think there is some great mystery behind radicalisation, like no one has thought about the reasons people become radicalised before?
There are a lot of academics floating various theories around the increasing political polarization in the world, and how best to deal with it. But hey, I'm sure they're all just wasting their time on an already solved problem and we all jsut need to chill. If only they would listen to open24hours i'm sure they could get onto more productive topics.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

NSW Government is very pleased the housing bubble has made them rich via Stamp Duty. Those liberals are so good at economic management.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Lid posted:

Let me break this down with a comparison to America, going back to Lindt

Saying that radical Islam is not nearly as important as gun control because of the number of deaths over time: yes, it makes logical sense

Saying that 9/11 is not a significant incident and its crocodile tears because of domestic violence funding being gutted: a complete logical fallacy built on the old "why cry for your dead grandfather when millions are starving" bullshit

NOW yes radical islam is barely a blip on the radar here, but when it does come up that does not mean it is to be treated differently from the political fascism of, for example, one Tony Abbott. Far right Islam and Far right Christianity occupy the same space. I do not think it's appropriate to brush one aside as negligible vs the other as it has shades less of "not important here" and more of "this is a question that makes me feel uneasy and is associated with racist islamophobia so lets not get involved".

I'm not sure what I said that would cause you to write this, but I never mentioned the Lindt siege, gun control, or 9/11. Radical Islam is a small problem in a world of problems that gets a ridiculously disproportionate amount of attention, which achieves nothing except to radicalise people who are sick of being harassed.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

There are a lot of academics floating various theories around the increasing political polarization in the world, and how best to deal with it. But hey, I'm sure they're all just wasting their time on an already solved problem and we all jsut need to chill. If only they would listen to open24hours i'm sure they could get onto more productive topics.

Yes so the point is that is is already happening, has been for years, and will continue to happen.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Gundam pilot arrested on terrorism charges after revealed strong desire to get into Mecha.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

I'm not sure what I said that would cause you to write this, but I never mentioned the Lindt siege, gun control, or 9/11. Radical Islam is a small problem in a world of problems that gets a ridiculously disproportionate amount of attention, which achieves nothing except to radicalise people who are sick of being harassed.

We've had this argument ten times already. Your assertion that The Cops Are To Blame is just as silly as the idea that The Browns Have it in Their Blood.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I didn't say the cops are to blame, or say anything that would imply it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Lmao the budget drops a few more billion and all they can do is CRACKDOWN ON WELFARE MATE.

It's just extending a planned crackdown too.

quote:

The new cuts include $650m over four years through changes to bulk-billing incentives. The government says it will remove incentives for pathology services and reduce the incentive for MRI services. It says it will align incentives for diagnostic imaging services to the ones that apply to GP services, with incentives continuing to apply for patients with concession cards and children under 16.

Morrison is also banking on $1.3bn by expanding the welfare payment integrity measure announced in the last budget, which was already slated to achieve $1.7bn. The government says the new measure will focus on recovering money from a greater number of people where discrepancies exist between the employment income they declare to Centrelink and the “pay as you go” information provided to the tax office.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

I didn't say the cops are to blame, or say anything that would imply it.

Okay. Apparently, you haven't said much of anything, besides "we should stop talking about it"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I didn't say that either?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Let me break this down with a comparison to America, going back to Lindt

Saying that radical Islam is not nearly as important as gun control because of the number of deaths over time: yes, it makes logical sense

Saying that 9/11 is not a significant incident and its crocodile tears because of domestic violence funding being gutted: a complete logical fallacy built on the old "why cry for your dead grandfather when millions are starving" bullshit

NOW yes radical islam is barely a blip on the radar here, but when it does come up that does not mean it is to be treated differently from the political fascism of, for example, one Tony Abbott. Far right Islam and Far right Christianity occupy the same space. I do not think it's appropriate to brush one aside as negligible vs the other as it has shades less of "not important here" and more of "this is a question that makes me feel uneasy and is associated with racist islamophobia so lets not get involved".

Do you think Monis was a case of Radical Islam or an insane person who happened to be a Muslim?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

open24hours posted:

I wrote that because this all started from people getting smug over people caring about the Lindt siege, then when radical Islam came up people tried to change the channel because one aligned with their political views while the other did not. We can also talk about the proximity argument but if we ignore factors we are doing a disservice to intelligent debate.

On small problem, big world: I spend a lot of words on radical Hinduism in India and radical Buddhism in Burma, yeah they mean nothing here and they all come under the spectre of how far right anything is a toxic murderous violent recipe (Islam being the current leader, given its conflicting nature with Christianity over millennia). To me it's an interesting topic, as it removes that radicalisation is from a view of being an oppressed minority, so I don't see why we can't talk about it without people throwing down ad hominems about domestic assault funding?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

I didn't say that either?

Is this a Zen Buddhist piece of performance art where your utterances slowly shed meaning until nothing remains?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

Do you think Monis was a case of Radical Islam or an insane person who happened to be a Muslim?

Get this: he was an insane Islamic Extremist. Mentally unstable people are often negatively influenced by poisonous ideology.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

OK Amethyst, what should we be doing about radical Islam that we're not doing now?

In terms of thinking about the problem and 'looking at Islam', I mean.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Both. I said it last page, mentally ill is not absolution and it's fair to say that through his mental illness Monis identified his world view of radical Islam to justification. Just as Anders Breivik's mental illness identified with Geert Wilders, or how Elliot Rodger identified with PUA and MRAs. The mental illness plays a part, and the horrible doctrine plays a part - it's not an either/or question.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

OK Amethyst, what should we be doing about radical Islam that we're not doing now?

Discussing it. Understanding the relationship between it and factors such as theocratic monarchies, Cold War II, etc. Maybe then we would have less people like Donald Trump and Pualine Hanson and Tony Abbott stoking irrational fear about it, and also come up with better strategies to curb the power of ISIS and the Saudi Priesthood.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Most recently we have Robert Lewis Dear who is mentally ill and then shot up Planned Parenthood because he heard about how they were literally killing babies. Why are we so quick to accept it when right wing hateful doctrine influences these mentally ill people but when right wing hateful doctrine influences others we run to arguments of mentally ill who just happened to be?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

Discussing it. Understanding the relationship between it and factors such as theocratic monarchies, Cold War II, etc. Maybe then we would have less people like Donald Trump and Pualine Hanson and Tony Abbott stoking irrational fear about it, and also come up with better strategies to curb the power of ISIS and the Saudi Priesthood.

It seems so sensible, I'm surprised no one has tried to understand the relationship between radical Islam and geopolitics before.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Both. I said it last page, mentally ill is not absolution and it's fair to say that through his mental illness Monis identified his world view of radical Islam to justification. Just as Anders Breivik's mental illness identified with Geert Wilders, or how Elliot Rodger identified with PUA and MRAs. The mental illness plays a part, and the horrible doctrine plays a part - it's not an either/or question.

Do you think that had that doctrine not existed those attacks wouldn't have found a different target/justification?

EDIT: To be clear I don't personally think Monis was any different to any of these cases.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

It seems so sensible, I'm surprised no one has tried to understand the relationship between radical Islam and geopolitics before.

Asserting that it's equivalent to the weather, or discounting it from a discussion about Monis, is a step in the wrong direction, dude.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

Do you think that had that doctrine not existed those attacks wouldn't have found a different target/justification?

Worthless speculation. It DID influence him, just like pro-life rhetoric influenced the planned parenthood shooter.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Worthless speculation. It DID influence him, just like pro-life rhetoric influenced the planned parenthood shooter.

No poo poo sherlock. I'm actually trying to understand Lid's thoughts about the difference between radicalisation induced attacks and self induced attacks that latched onto a radical ideology.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

No poo poo sherlock. I'm actually trying to understand Lid's thoughts about the difference between radicalisation induced attacks and self induced attacks that latched onto a radical ideology.

How do you distinguish the two, and furthermore, what is the point in doing so? Do you think it's a good idea to ignore the ideology behind Anders Brevik?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Anyway, it's funny that a major part of Scott Morrison's savings package is "capping" Abbott's idiotic Green Army project.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

Asserting that it's equivalent to the weather, or discounting it from a discussion about Monis, is a step in the wrong direction, dude.

I'd say the weather affects more people. If the money spent on countering radical Islam was give to the BOM we'd probably see a greater increase in people's quality of life. Might even reduce the incidence of Islamic radicals.

Why do you think it's different from the weather? It's a problem that needs to be addressed, when we try to predict the weather we ask meteorologists or climate scientists for their help and rightly ignore the opinions of people without any training in the area. Seems to be the exact opposite with Islamic radicalisation.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

How do you distinguish the two, and furthermore, what is the point in doing so? Do you think it's a good idea to ignore the ideology behind Anders Brevik?

Yeah, why should we loving distinguish between different root causes of radicalisation, because a single solution to fixing this fits every case. Different root causes and different sources certainly don't require different solutions to prevent it's recurrence.

Why loving try to understand anything!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

That's the million dollar question isn't it, and we get into really deep questions about nature vs nurture. If someone mentally ill is only exposed to non extreme right-wing political thought (or going back to the 60s-70s, extreme left wing political thought), will they ever become anything violent or murderous in the pursuit of zealotry? Is the violence inherent in them and they're just looking for an outlet?

I think the answer should be no. It strays too far into the area of no ideology being to blame for the actions of its adherents. It's also why whenever these incidents do happen the groups always say "these do not represent us". Now Islam's demonisation is from people not realising that "they do not represent us" is coming from general Muslim's, not other adherents of extreme Islam theology. When neo-nazis try to say that Anders Breivik didn't represent them we chrotle aghast, when the BBQ was on Cronulla claiming it was about free speech and they aren't racists we can see the truth behind the lie.

Ideology is a fully formed important factor in these isolated incidents, and left unchecked they become fully formed ideals and unified fronts where there are no longer incidents as much as actions from the party. Going to :godwin: here but once upon a time there were incidents the Nazis really said weren't indicative of their party and it was just some rowdy members, or what not, but try floating that argument now and you will be looked at like the maniac you are.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

Yeah, why should we loving distinguish between different root causes of radicalisation, because a single solution to fixing this fits every case. Different root causes and different sources certainly don't require different solutions to prevent it's recurrence.

Why loving try to understand anything!

When we're discussing ignoring one side of the equation, I don't think you can accuse me of not trying to understand the situation.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

I'd say the weather affects more people. If the money spent on countering radical Islam was give to the BOM we'd probably see a greater increase in people's quality of life. Might even reduce the incidence of Islamic radicals.

Why do you think it's different from the weather? It's a problem that needs to be addressed, when we try to predict the weather we ask meteorologists or climate scientists for their help and rightly ignore the opinions of people without any training in the area. Seems to be the exact opposite with Islamic radicalisation.

I've already told you why I find this equivocation foolish man I'm not going to repeat myself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I feel like bombing this thread right now

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

No you haven't, you've made some half baked assertion about the vibe of Islam and how we need to take it more seriously than we are now for some unknown reason.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Anidav posted:

Lmao the budget drops a few more billion and all they can do is CRACKDOWN ON WELFARE MATE.

The Greens' proposed progressive superannuation contribution taxes would lower the amount of super tax that 75% of workers pay and also raise more revenue for the government than anything Morrison's proposed.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Mr Chips posted:

The Greens' proposed progressive superannuation contribution taxes would lower the amount of super tax that 75% of workers pay and also raise more revenue for the government than anything Morrison's proposed.

Yes, but you see the Greens aren't a sensible political party and just have protest positions and don't have any sensible economic policies so clearly this wouldn't work.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

No you haven't, you've made some half baked assertion about the vibe of Islam and how we need to take it more seriously than we are now for some unknown reason.

loving fine.

Islamic terrorism isn't the same as the weather, or traffic accidents, despite your incredibly astute observations that the raw numbers are different, because our cultural discourse is currently locked in a dangerous and escalating rhetorical spiral leading to wider warfare, in general, across the globe. I believe the way to mitigate this problem is through rational discourse between citizens.

If you get into the habit of sweeping this poo poo under the rug when discussing incidents like the Lindt Cafe siege, you are undermining that discourse. By writing off people's grief as unimportant you exclude those voices from the discussion.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
guys

guys

guys

asmr

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

That's the million dollar question isn't it, and we get into really deep questions about nature vs nurture. If someone mentally ill is only exposed to non extreme right-wing political thought (or going back to the 60s-70s, extreme left wing political thought), will they ever become anything violent or murderous in the pursuit of zealotry? Is the violence inherent in them and they're just looking for an outlet?

I think the answer should be no. It strays too far into the area of no ideology being to blame for the actions of its adherents. It's also why whenever these incidents do happen the groups always say "these do not represent us". Now Islam's demonisation is from people not realising that "they do not represent us" is coming from general Muslim's, not other adherents of extreme Islam theology. When neo-nazis try to say that Anders Breivik didn't represent them we chrotle aghast, when the BBQ was on Cronulla claiming it was about free speech and they aren't racists we can see the truth behind the lie.

Ideology is a fully formed important factor in these isolated incidents, and left unchecked they become fully formed ideals and unified fronts where there are no longer incidents as much as actions from the party. Going to :godwin: here but once upon a time there were incidents the Nazis really said weren't indicative of their party and it was just some rowdy members, or what not, but try floating that argument now and you will be looked at like the maniac you are.

Thanks a lot for this. I think that ideology should definitely be held accountable for the actions of the adherents but there are a lot of crimes that are not ideology based. How much gets attributed to ideology rather than the choices of the individual is something that especially with the fear mongering around Islam makes me uncomfortable. I think it's a really good point to talk about the difference between prevailing narratives of ideologies that foster extremism (even green extremists) and there's a lot more danger to the media airing violent narratives "destroy the west" "planned parenthood kills babies" "burn all GMO" compared to those needing to be experienced in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm not writing off anyone's grief. If someone I cared about was shot by an Islamic terrorist I'm sure I'd be very upset too. This dialogue that you are proposing already exists and has existed for as long as Islam has been in existence.

• Locked thread