Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm not sure if it's enough to matter, but it seems to me like being so close to the fence might interfere with the accuracy of the wind measurements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

wolrah posted:

I'm not sure if it's enough to matter, but it seems to me like being so close to the fence might interfere with the accuracy of the wind measurements.

Best I can do for my limited property, for now. At least it's got a giant field open one side. I may move it and do a stand-off install on the side of my house if this doesn't report good-enough wind for some directions.

However Rain, Temp, Humidity are all fine and its only windspeed and direction that I'd be improving on.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sniep posted:

Best I can do for my limited property, for now. At least it's got a giant field open one side. I may move it and do a stand-off install on the side of my house if this doesn't report good-enough wind for some directions.

However Rain, Temp, Humidity are all fine and its only windspeed and direction that I'd be improving on.

Get a 6' fence pole from Home Depot or lowes and some plumbing hangers, I have that same weather station.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

e.pilot posted:

Get a 6' fence pole from Home Depot or lowes and some plumbing hangers, I have that same weather station.

I *kinnnda* just tossed up that mast and 6m moxon and giant 2m vert omni... I dont want to immediately go and add more poo poo up in the sky, but yes. I would love to get it a foot above the crest of my roof, which I can do, it's just :effort: and for now this will at least let me build out my system and get on the air with some data.

What's a plumbing hanger?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
This stuff, it's what I used to attach the pole to the fence post and it's cheap.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

e.pilot posted:

This stuff, it's what I used to attach the pole to the fence post and it's cheap.

Oh, well poo poo, I got that :)

I just was afraid of another pole in the ground, what was the kind of mast you were thinking of?
Got a link to the pole you were referring to at Home Depot?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sniep posted:

Got a link to the pole you were referring to at Home Depot?

Probably a chain link fence top rail. jonny's used a bunch of it and can probably tell ya what to pick up locally.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

MisterOblivious posted:

Probably a chain link fence top rail. jonny's used a bunch of it and can probably tell ya what to pick up locally.

That's exactly what I have going already as my main mast - I was just hoping to not have to do another like that. Something a little more discrete. I mean, how many feet off the fence does it have to be really?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sniep posted:

That's exactly what I have going already as my main mast - I was just hoping to not have to do another like that. Something a little more discrete. I mean, how many feet off the fence does it have to be really?

The more the better. But yeah it's just a normal chain link fence pole.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So what weather station is that, how are you connecting it back, etc, etc. Time for technical details because this looks pretty cool.

(goon weather service - we can do this)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Motronic posted:

So what weather station is that, how are you connecting it back, etc, etc. Time for technical details because this looks pretty cool.

(goon weather service - we can do this)

Mine is an AcuRite 5-in-1, which you can get really cheap on Amazon, or Costco has them occasionally for even cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NI57C14/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_hx1twbY4AKENT

The AcuRite software it comes with is severely lacking. If you have a computer near the base station or an old computer you can use, you can plug it in and run this software and update in real time to weather underground.
It's all free. http://forum1.valleyinfosys.com/index.php

Or if you want a little smaller footprint there is a thing called meteobridge that runs on top of DD-WRT on a few different routers. But it costs a good bit of money. (about as much as the weather station itself)
http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home

I started with the VIS software, but then the netbook I had it running on died, so now I'm using meteobridge on a small d-link router.

There are also weather stations that are able to upload to the Internet directly, but they cost quite a bit more.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Mine is an AcuRite 5-in-1, which you can get really cheap on Amazon, or Costco has them occasionally for even cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NI57C14/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_hx1twbY4AKENT

The AcuRite software it comes with is severely lacking. If you have a computer near the base station or an old computer you can use, you can plug it in and run this software and update in real time to weather underground.

Or if you want a little smaller footprint there is a thing called meteobridge that runs on top of DD-WRT on a few different routers. But it costs a good bit of money. (about as much as the weather station itself)

I started with the VIS software, but then the netbook I had it running on died, so now I'm using meteobridge on a small d-link router.

There are also weather stations that are able to upload to the Internet directly, but they cost quite a bit more.

You can also use a Raspberry Pi with Weewx, as long as there's a USB or serial connection on the receiver unit, and weewx supports your system.

I had something that was similar to a meteobridge, but it had some weird licensing things with the OS on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Awesome, thanks to both of you. I've got a spare Pi around and a good place to put a setup like that (on my greenhouse).

Just might have to get a weather station now.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Yeah mine is the AcuRite 5-in-1 with the network bridge and extra sensors.

I like it so far..

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

uapyro posted:

Opposed to clip mounts to either a door frame or trunk? So far I've had this mount for a year, and on the surface of the car it has done no damage whatsoever. The bottom, it removed the paint from where the set screws were put down pretty tight; but that shouldn't matter.

After having use both the "ANLI" and "Jetstream" versions of this, yes, I am opposed to using it again. Both of those were poo poo with rubber grommets drying out and rusting screws. The ANLI one did the most damage to the paint surface, creating sort of a haze under itself, presumably as it vibrates during operation. Having said that, 3M and other vendors make a paint protection film, which could probably mitigate a lot of this damage, but it will have to be removed and cleaned regularly. As you note, the set screws on the bottom of these will cut the paint on the underside of the trunk lid (in your case). Those may eventually rust as well due to moisture issues.

It was also suggested that I look at shimming in a piece of metal between the rear liftgate hinge and the bolt, and then extending that outside of the range of motion of the gate and going from there. I'm still thinking T-rail or crossbar mount is going to end up being the way to go, unfortunately, given the design of this vehicle, which just leaves me having to put the wire through a door seal or something.

My trunk install on my last vehicle was pretty much the same as yours but I mounted the radio 90 degrees the other way off and .... absolutely dressed everything in a lot better so nothing would get snagged. I ran power tight against the shelf there, and behind the trunk carpet to the battery (which was in the trunk already). Antenna went the other way then up on the legs of the trunk lid to the mount. Radio is a D700 so I ran two cat 5 up to the front of the car. I hooked up a biscuit jack for the 6p4c for the head unit, and a 8p8c for the microphone and stuck both of those behind the dash fascia.

Which I wanted to take a moment to let people know that the "industrial Velcro" adhesive will in fact dry out in the sun and heat, and turn into flakes of poo poo as whatever you've adhered comes off. It will also leave bits of glue stuck to the surface. Same with the Kenwood finger mounts for the D700/710/TS480, except even if you don't stick it and just drill that center hole, the adhesive is going to leak out and that poo poo does not come off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is probably not going to be a super popular opinion, as it never is around most amateur radio guys: Get over it and just drill the drat holes.

I watch/hear these conversations over and over about all manner of ridiculous mounts that are supposed to not damage anything, loaded with anecdotal evidence about them not causing a problem/yes they caused a problem when nobody even talking about the real reasons: paint colors and formulations act differently, people use different hardware and mount to different locations causing different results and people buy chinesium knockoff mounts (knowingly or unknowingly) and try to compare them to experiences from people who bought real ones.

If you can't throw it on an under hood style mount on the hood (can only really get away with this on a pickup or it looks super cheesy) or trunk just drill the drat hole for an NMO mount.and be done with it. Do it accurately, do it well (sharp bit, protect newly-bared steel surfaces), and buy a color matched plug to fill the hole later.

My attitude on this probably comes a lot from being way more car guy then most hams.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Yeah. I drilled the roof of my suburban after running a trunk mount for a year or so. The trunk mount works fine, but I wanted to see if I'd get better range on the roof (QRM is wayyyy down at least) I don't plan on ever selling that thing, but if I do, I doubt anyone will even notice the plug. Find a two way shop run by a ham and he'll probably drill for free for you. If you don't want to drop a headliner (I did, it wasn't a huge deal), remove a dome light and fish coax to a pillar that way.

Oh yeah, be extremely wary of side curtain airbags.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

e.pilot posted:

manero posted:

You can also use a Raspberry Pi with Weewx, as long as there's a USB or serial connection on the receiver unit, and weewx supports your system.

I had something that was similar to a meteobridge, but it had some weird licensing things with the OS on it.

I came across this thread during research for a weather station for my house. I realize that this is an Amateur Radio thread, but I'd like toget more information on running a raspberry Pi with the AcuRite 5-in-1.

From reading docs it looks like the weather station sends the data wirelessly to the display unit, and only by connecting this unit via USB to a PC can you download data from the weather station via the console. Is this correct? So instead of keeping a PC on all the time, you can just plug the console thing into raspberry PI into collect data. Is that how it works?

It's kind of a bummer because I have a file server that's always on in the garage, but it seems a shame to have the neat looking color console plugged in there.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yep that's exactly how it works.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

e.pilot posted:

Yep that's exactly how it works.

Not mine! No USB port on mine, which really sucks.. I have to use the bridge thing.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

Not mine! No USB port on mine, which really sucks.. I have to use the bridge thing.

How do you get the data off the system, then? Do you have to screenscrape?

I really like weewx, because I can push data to wunderground, CWOP, APRS, etc.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

manero posted:

How do you get the data off the system, then? Do you have to screenscrape?

I really like weewx, because I can push data to wunderground, CWOP, APRS, etc.

I think they mean something like this: http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-09150-AcuLink-Internet-Bridge/dp/B00T5U1JRE

I've seen various types that interface in different ways.

Does anyone know for the APRS method and this software if you actually need to send out via APRS (144.39) or would it just send out through the internet so that other APRS receivers would get it?
From where I live, there really aren't any stations or digipeters that'd get it to the internet via conventional methods; at least my car doesn't from my driveway.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
I am basically at wits end trying to figure out an RFI problem. During the morning and early afternoon the 20m bands are fully clear and audible. Come evening and night, however, they are basically unintelligible and filled with S7-S8 noise. After rigorous testing and searching around I have isolated that it is not any of my gear or have anything to do with my residence. Nor do I live near power lines or a transformer. Even building a magnetic loop antenna did nothing to help my situation.

I just want to listen to some gross elmers fumble around with digital modes :sigh: Any advice?

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
It is probably worthwhile to mention that 40m is completely unavailable at all hours due to the same reasons. Fuuuuuck my liiiiiiife

manero
Jan 30, 2006

uapyro posted:

I think they mean something like this: http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-09150-AcuLink-Internet-Bridge/dp/B00T5U1JRE

I've seen various types that interface in different ways.

Does anyone know for the APRS method and this software if you actually need to send out via APRS (144.39) or would it just send out through the internet so that other APRS receivers would get it?
From where I live, there really aren't any stations or digipeters that'd get it to the internet via conventional methods; at least my car doesn't from my driveway.

Either would work. Weewx will push to APRS-IS, so you just need a passcode to push packets over the internet, and they'll show up on APRS.fi.

Changing the subject, did anyone work any of the National Weather Service stations for Skywarn Recognition Day today? I went out to K0MPX in Minnesota and worked a bunch of HF and VHF. It was a blast!

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

manero posted:

Either would work. Weewx will push to APRS-IS, so you just need a passcode to push packets over the internet, and they'll show up on APRS.fi.

Changing the subject, did anyone work any of the National Weather Service stations for Skywarn Recognition Day today? I went out to K0MPX in Minnesota and worked a bunch of HF and VHF. It was a blast!

Would the APRS-IS method go out to any of the local APRS users, or would it only show up like if someone went to aprs.fi or any of the other similar sites? Mainly curious because I'd prefer people like me who have a radio with APRS to be able to see weather as they are driving, since on my radio it just pops that up on the middle of the screen for a few seconds.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

uapyro posted:

Would the APRS-IS method go out to any of the local APRS users, or would it only show up like if someone went to aprs.fi or any of the other similar sites? Mainly curious because I'd prefer people like me who have a radio with APRS to be able to see weather as they are driving, since on my radio it just pops that up on the middle of the screen for a few seconds.

Nah, it'll just show up on aprs.fi for the most part. You'd need it all hooked up to a TNC and a radio in that case.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If there is a reverse I gate that is setup for that, it would come out to RF. I have yet to encounter one that gates beacons and wx but no reason it couldn't exist.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd
Passed my technician's test last night, sweet.

Are there any 2-meter kits that are easier for a beginner to learn on than others? All of this is still brand new.

Would complement whatever cheap handheld unit I pick up.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Kennebago posted:

Passed my technician's test last night, sweet.

Are there any 2-meter kits that are easier for a beginner to learn on than others? All of this is still brand new.

Would complement whatever cheap handheld unit I pick up.

Yaesu FT-60R and a Diamond SRH77CA is my standard recommendation starter kit for 2m/440 (I make sure to warn against getting a single bander off the bat as it's likely to start off in repeater-land, and it would suck to be starting off and not be able to QSY between 2m and 70cm boxes.)

If you want to avoid doing any manual entry of frequencies, you can get Chirp (free) and a programming cable (~$20?), and just spreadsheet in all the frequencies, but learning how to do it on the radio is good.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 18, 2015

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd
Thanks - what about DIY receiver kits for HF bands, any newbie-friendly ones?

I think it'd be neat to build my own and listen to longer range traffic while I'm studying for General and getting used to using a radio locally.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Kennebago posted:

I think it'd be neat to build my own and listen to longer range traffic while I'm studying for General and getting used to using a radio locally.

Now that's a much, much harder question. The FT-60 is an easy sell as a robust unit for task that will last decades.,

HF/shortwave kits on the other hand i have no idea about. When I hear "kit radio" it makes me think of the "fake kits" from Elecraft (Basically electronic legos you snap together.)

I presume you're talking like, the old Heathkit style buy and build from scratch type kits? I don't think that such a thing exists in any form now. :(

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Kennebago posted:

If you wanna get hardcore you could pick up a copy of The Voice of the Crystal and use it as a guide to build the whole thing from scratch. In fact, I would recommend getting a copy and reading it whether you plan on building anything in it or not, it's a cool book.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Kennebago posted:

My suggestion would be an RTL-SDR with something like a Ham It Up upconverter. Add the NooElec 1:9 balun and you'll be able to just hook up a random wire antenna and go.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sniep posted:

I presume you're talking like, the old Heathkit style buy and build from scratch type kits? I don't think that such a thing exists in any form now. :(

There's a decent number of kit makers out there like http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/b/6290135011

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

fordan posted:

There's a decent number of kit makers out there like http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/b/6290135011

Sure's no Heathkit, though :(

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
If you want an HF receiver kit, maybe try a softrock rx ensemble.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Sniep posted:

If you want to avoid doing any manual entry of frequencies, you can get Chimp (free) and a programming cable (~$20?), and just spreadsheet in all the frequencies, but learning how to do it on the radio is good.

CHIRP (chirp.danplanet.com) would be the free open source programming software.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

uli2000 posted:

CHIRP (chirp.danplanet.com) would be the free open source programming software.

My Typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
So I learned something new last night. I don't normally play around much on SSB, I usually stick to data mode at <25 watts.

When I went to tune up on 40m, and pushed it up to 50w, I started to get some RFI which set off all my CO detectors :haw: