Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thad Castle disagrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reminder that the first episode will broadcast this week on Dec 14, with the second episode to follow on Dec 15.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rocksicles posted:

Thad Castle disagrees

They kickstarted a movie and all the cast returned what happened to that?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

They kickstarted a movie and all the cast returned what happened to that?

Releases in a couple weeks, Jan 5th according to the wiki page. But there's been zero promotion since the kickstarter, so who knows what's going on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched the pilot and am cautiously optimistic. I think BSG had a stronger beginning, but it was also working with a miniseries.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

KatWithHands posted:

This is why people should read the books completely fresh. The :stare: factor when you first reach it.

I was hospitaized with a pneumonia with high fever just after reading that part.

I had nightmares about it every loving night...

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

etalian posted:

Reminder that the first episode will broadcast this week on Dec 14, with the second episode to follow on Dec 15.
Damnit. I've been telling people the first two episodes where tonight. What the hell syfy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Damnit. I've been telling people the first two episodes where tonight. What the hell syfy.

Yeah, I thought they'd be same night as well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I just watched the pilot last night. It seemed pretty good, though I'm waiting to see how the follow up episode tonight is before investing time in it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Just finished up Leviathan Wakes the other night. Really excited to see what they are able to do with the series. It is going to be quite the spectacle (in a good way).

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Max posted:

I just watched the pilot last night. It seemed pretty good, though I'm waiting to see how the follow up episode tonight is before investing time in it.

Apparently Tuesday night for the follow up. Childhoods End 3 parter followed by The Expanse 2 nights then The Magicians premiere Wednesday.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I hope they get a Gracie to play Julie Mao's Space Jiu-jitsu instructor.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 15, 2015

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gohmak posted:

Apparently Tuesday night for the follow up. Childhoods End 3 parter followed by The Expanse 2 nights then The Magicians premiere Wednesday.

Magicians premiere is Wednesday?! Hell yeah

This is probably the most excited I've been about a week of SyFy programming in a while

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Magicians premiere is Wednesday?! Hell yeah

This is probably the most excited I've been about a week of SyFy programming in a while

They're just showing the first episode, the show proper doesn't start until mid January.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

They're just showing the first episode, the show proper doesn't start until mid January.

1st episode tonight. 2nd episode is tomorrow night.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Magicians, not The Expanse.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Magicians, not The Expanse.

No, the Magicians is Weds night. I just checked the channel guide. It's definitely ep. 2 tomorrow night.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT THE MAGICIANS NOT THE EXPANSE.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Chris James 2 was excited about The Magicians premiering Wednesday, Muscles was saying that it's not premiering as in next week will be the next episode. It's an early airing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT THE MAGICIANS NOT THE EXPANSE.

Hahahaha. Sorry. Well, time to go to sleep. I'm that annoying drunk guy at the bar who tries to jump into a conversation with zero context.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Where do I go to rant about it being different than the book?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

SA has a forum for book reading weirdos who yell at each other.

This forum is only for TV watching weirdos who yell at each other.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Alright, team, same time tomorrow. Break!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

If it spoils future events make sure you spoiler it. Other than that what is different from the books worth ranting?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

gohmak posted:

If it spoils future events make sure you spoiler it. Other than that what is different from the books worth ranting?

Lol, rant is strong, I was just a little perturbed about the way they changed how the captain of the Canterbury handled the distress call. It never got deleted in the book and Holden's only "crime" was to overcome his (purposely) limp arguments to ignore it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Lol, rant is strong, I was just a little perturbed about the way they changed how the captain of the Canterbury handled the distress call. It never got deleted in the book and Holden's only "crime" was to overcome his (purposely) limp arguments to ignore it.

I like how the show is handling it. It puts the onus squarely on mr mary sue.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that is a change but it is entirely in keeping with Holden's idealist complex.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, that is a change but it is entirely in keeping with Holden's idealist complex.

Sure, I just don't necessarily want to watch him weep about it/mistrusted by his companions about it forever

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Sure, I just don't necessarily want to watch him weep about it/mistrusted by his companions about it forever

You must not have read the book thoroughly because it is quite clear that his character believes doing the "morally right" thing and exposing the truth completely absolves himself of the collateral damage.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To be fair, Avasarala is his polar opposite and she doesn't come out clean either. (:siren: book 5 red wedding spoilers) The way she not only accepts pragmatic realpolitik but enjoys it (eg she loves letting space-Mengele off with a slap on the wrist) comes across as very mature and hard-nosed and sensible. But only until her entire planet is blown up because she needlessly pragmatism'd the Belt past breaking point.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 15, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Apparently episode 3 and 4 (but not 2 for some weird reason) went up early on streaming services. And maybe some other places...

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Episode 2 is on tonight, I think we can wait.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hedrigall posted:

Apparently episode 3 and 4 (but not 2 for some weird reason) went up early on streaming services. And maybe some other places...

Well I will be up late tonight.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Does SyFy stream everything, or should I actually set my DVR for this and Insufferable, Whiny Harry Potter, aka The Magicians?

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Hedrigall posted:

Probably review copies sent to critics.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

GigaPeon posted:

Does SyFy stream everything, or should I actually set my DVR for this and Insufferable, Whiny Harry Potter, aka The Magicians?

Is The Magians just HP goes to college?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grimwall posted:

Probably review copies sent to critics.

Yeah all the online review places got to see the first 4 episodes back to back.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

gohmak posted:

The first book is kinda 3 books, first is HP Goes to College, second is HP does The Graduate and the third is HP goes to gritty Narnia.

They're not bad books, it's an interesting world, but I really hate Quentin.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

gohmak posted:

Harry Potter with cigarettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Just wanna say I appreciate the spoiler warnings explicitly for book 5. Waiting on them to publish the drat paperback so it'll be a while before I get my hands on it.

• Locked thread