Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

open24hours posted:

I'm not writing off anyone's grief. If someone I cared about was shot by an Islamic terrorist I'm sure I'd be very upset too. This dialogue that you are proposing already exists and has existed for as long as Islam has been in existence.

hooman was definitely writing off people's grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm not Hooman?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

I'm not Hooman?

Man why do I need to spell things out to you. You've been defending their side of this discourse. That's why we've been going back and forth ffs.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lol myefo "let's improve integrity measures," cuts back enforcement spending

down lieberal scum

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours, don't take this wrong I think you're reasonable and everything, but bloody hell you are tiresome. You demand a level of tedious verbosity which would become unnecessary if you thought about my posts for longer than a second.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you asked people to spell things out instead of assuming you understand what they are trying to say a lot of back and forth could be saved. Look at what people actually say instead of what you want them to say.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

If you asked people to spell things out instead of assuming you understand what they are trying to say a lot of back and forth could be saved. Look at what people actually say instead of what you want them to say.

There is a difference between misreading and actual, you know, non-superficial reading.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Birdstrike posted:

lol myefo "let's improve integrity measures," cuts back enforcement spending

down lieberal scum

It really feels like they are just hoping the economic situation improves rather than actually doing anything about it.

Again.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

hooman was definitely writing off people's grief.

Exactly whose grief was I writing off? The massive outpouring of emotion from people who were not involved nor related to those who were involved?

Also this is your prime issue, reading the entire thread as a hivemind of agreement rather than a series of individuals making differing arguments.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

Exactly whose grief was I writing off? The massive outpouring of emotion from people who were not involved nor related to those who were involved?

Also this is your prime issue, reading the entire thread as a hivemind of agreement rather than a series of individuals making differing arguments.

I never said anything about a hivemind. I've been specifically addressing you, birb katter, and cleretic.

And yeah, you and Birb talking about crocodile tears and eqiviocating a terrorist attack with a car accident definitely counts as writing people's feelings off.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They're cracking down on Medicare authority scripts as well: GPs who fudge authority scripts are going to end up struck off or some poo poo. Source: my GP when he found out my old GP was fudging my SNRI script to get an off-label authority.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Amethyst posted:

I never said anything about a hivemind. I've been specifically addressing you, birb katter, and cleretic.

And yeah, you and Birb talking about crocodile tears and eqiviocating a terrorist attack with a car accident definitely counts as writing people's feelings off.

I specifically drew comparisons to domestic violence because if we treated that more seriously it is very likely that Monis wouldn't have been in the position he was to be able to do this. You know, maybe that was missed in the heat of the moment or something.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

ScreamingLlama posted:

They're cracking down on Medicare authority scripts as well: GPs who fudge authority scripts are going to end up struck off or some poo poo. Source: my GP when he found out my old GP was fudging my SNRI script to get an off-label authority.

:ssh:

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Just lol if you care at all about the Lindt Cafe Siege. It's no more or less important than all the other police standoffs which happen at least once a week in Australia, the only difference is this time a brown person who declared allegiance to ISIS halfway through it did it instead of some methed up junkie.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

thatfatkid posted:

Just lol if you care at all about the Lindt Cafe Siege. It's no more or less important than all the other police standoffs which happen at least once a week in Australia, the only difference is this time a brown person who declared allegiance to ISIS halfway through it did it instead of some methed up junkie.

You mean that those two hostages who were shot by police this morning in Melbourne were not shot down by an Islamic State?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Speaking of crocodile tears, is it OK to be cynical about the government's attempts to address domestic violence without reforming the welfare system?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

I specifically drew comparisons to domestic violence because if we treated that more seriously it is very likely that Monis wouldn't have been in the position he was to be able to do this. You know, maybe that was missed in the heat of the moment or something.
You said a lot more than that, friend.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

I'm sorry, how much of these feelings deserve to be respected?

How much grief do you personally feel about Sydney? How much about Paris? How much about Ankara? Personally I feel none. It all sucked, it's bad that people died. But if you didn't know the people who died, or people who were there then why are you feeling grief? Why do people in Australia feel it for some but not others. The whole thing feels gross and voyeristic to me, intruding the emotions the media told you to feel onto the actual pain of people who suffered.

So yeah, I will write off people's feelings some times. Because sometimes people's feelings aren't valid.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

I'm sorry, how much of these feelings deserve to be respected?

How much grief do you personally feel about Sydney? How much about Paris? How much about Ankara? Personally I feel none. It all sucked, it's bad that people died. But if you didn't know the people who died, or people who were there then why are you feeling grief? Why do people in Australia feel it for some but not others. The whole thing feels gross and voyeristic to me, intruding the emotions the media told you to feel onto the actual pain of people who suffered.

So yeah, I will write off people's feelings some times. Because sometimes people's feelings aren't valid.

Cool man. You're badass.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Cool man. You're badass.

Stop writing off my feelings you monster.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

Stop writing off my feelings you monster.

Oh drat! You really have me in a logical trap! Perhaps it is I, the one who thinks Monis is bad, who is the cold one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Oh drat! You really have me in a logical trap! Perhaps it is I, the one who thinks Monis is bad, who is the cold one.

No I was just non responding to your non response. Also please point out where I have said that Monis was anything but bad.

EDIT: Oops you got caught putting words in my mouth again.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 15, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
mo monis mo problems

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey cool 4 pages of people getting angry about semantics and telling each other to kill each other, thanks guys it was cool hanging out here for like a week, I think I learned something?!? (From Orkin obviously)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Although Monis was influenced by extreme Islam, I wouldn't call him a terrorist or anything like that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The China FTA is costing us 4.2B in lost tariffs, but this will be offset by the ??? in additional revenue.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

Although Monis was influenced by extreme Islam, I wouldn't call him a terrorist or anything like that.

Why not? He commited an act of terrorism.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The China FTA is costing us 4.2B in lost tariffs, but this will be offset by the ??? in additional revenue.

??? = Tins of contaminated fruit being really cheap

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Oh hey cool 4 pages of people getting angry about semantics and telling each other to kill each other, thanks guys it was cool hanging out here for like a week, I think I learned something?!? (From Orkin obviously)

I don't think anyone told anyone to kill themselves? This was actually pretty civil and capped off with an excellent post by Lid.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

quote:

It was buried on page 13, towards the bottom right-hand corner of the newspaper.

Another letter to the editor easily overlooked, if not for the very recognisable name and location of its author: Tony Abbott, Canberra, ACT.

The former prime minister has used some of his free time since being dumped from the top job to pen a letter to The Australian newspaper, attacking the authors of a new book about his government.
Tony Abbott's letter to the editor in The Australian newspaper.

Tony Abbott's letter to the editor in The Australian newspaper.

Responding to a review of Wayne Errington and Peter van Onselen's Battleground, Mr Abbott described the book as "partisan advocacy" and "riddled with errors".

He also labelled the assertion that he engaged with the authors a most "egregious" error.

"On page 213, the authors state: 'We would like to thank Tony Abbott for engaging with us. He helped shape our arguments in this book even if he may not like the conclusions we reached'," Mr Abbott wrote.

"I did not 'engage' with the authors. They requested an interview and emailed questions. These were so obviously a stitch up that I declined to answer other than to deny some of their claims."

Van Onselen rejected this claim on Tuesday.

"He's not right when he says all he did was deny things that were put to him. There's a bit more in it than that. It is true that it's not much of a response but he did more than that," van Onselen said.

"I think it's highly contested, at best for him, whether or not him answering email questions does or does not constitute engagement. Obviously I think it does and so does our publisher."

Fairfax Media understands Mr Abbott provided his responses "on background", meaning the information was not to be attributed to him.

Mr Abbott also criticised the book more generally, calling it "partisan advocacy rather than disinterested scholarship".

"This is a book about a failure of leadership," van Onselen, a host with Sky News, said in response. "We don't resile from the fact that it's a book about him being a failure. How could it be anything but? He got knocked off less than two years into the job."

Van Onselen said he found solace in what Mr Abbott singled out as the worst assertion in the book.

"As my wife pointed out to me, if the most egregious error in the book, according to him, is a disagreement about what constitutes engagement, I'll take that any day of the week."

Mr Abbott has said he will not make a decision about his future in politics until April 2016.

:allears:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Doctor Spaceman posted:

4.2tonnes of poor people grinded into a fine powder which is snorted by the elite to get high and write coalition policy at 3am.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

To understand how the government sees free trade agreements, there's a decent paper that was prepared for RIRDC called "‘Free' trade agreements: Making them better".

This is the opening paragraph

I like to think they just stop reading after the first sentence.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Recoome posted:

Why not? Wasn't he trying to make a political or religious statement?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

open24hours posted:

Speaking of crocodile tears, is it OK to be cynical about the government's attempts to address domestic violence without reforming the welfare system?

Absolutely. A lot of domestic violence involves financial abuse. The welfare system doesn't allow for financial independence, so it's really easy to get into a situation where you literally can't afford to leave (let alone the threat of retribution once you do).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Islam, it's the vibe :v:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

hooman posted:

This was actually pretty civil and capped off with an excellent post by Lid.

That's because you and Lid argue in good faith.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Amethyst posted:

Every loving rear end in a top hat who feels the impulse to post something like this needs to drink some draino. We're here to be outraged, and have political opinions. gently caress off.

Amethyst posted:

I agree, gently caress your life, jump off a cliff imo

I think drinking drano and walking off a cliff were " kill you are selves " types not "self harm like a boss" so yeah someone did ask others to die.

If Monis was terrorism then why isn't every hostage taker a terrorist? Do you get your evil Inc badge when you self identify with them or is it when enough people feel like you should be a member? Funny that down under the darker your skin the more people think you are a member.

E: for phone posting auto correct error

Tasmantor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 15, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Tasmantor posted:

I think driving drano and walking off a cliff were " kill you are selves " types not "self harm like a boss" so yeah someone did ask others to die.

If Monis was terrorism then why isn't every hostage taker a terrorist? Do you get your evil Inc badge when you self identify with them or is it when enough people feel like you should be a member? Funny that down under the darker your skin the more people think you are a member.

Most hostage takers are terrorists unless they're trying to rob a bank or whatever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Most hostage takers are terrorists unless they're trying to rob a bank or whatever.

If you think terrorism has to have a political element to it, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you think terrorism has to have a political element to it, no.

Uh that's what I was saying. Duh.

• Locked thread