Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Jay Rust posted:

I spoke to one of my non-goony, non-nerdy friends about Fallout 4 tonight. He's firmly in the "Fallout 3 > Fallout New Vegas" camp.

Do I sever?

I would. You'll just drag him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fallout 3 was the best oblivion expansion pack

i'm not feeling this skyrim expac though, they cut out everything interesting from skyrim and replaced it with a fractal of farts

at least it now plays like my favorit game, call of dudy

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
On my second playthrough and I went for pure punchin' - I was having a lot of difficulty early, perhaps because I went 9 STR 9 LCK thinking that the VATS/Crit perks were what would save me. Now I'm thinking I wanted AGI for Action Boy/Girl and Blitz? I ended up cheesing Swan for his fist and that carried me for a bit, but now I got my BOS power armor and I'm wondering if it's worth it to wear the stuff for the dmg resist/awesome aesthetic of being a walking Rock-Em Sock-Em Robot, especially since without the fist equipped I get more rolls for the luck VATS procs, right?

How does a good punching build work? Google is surprisingly ineffective, most hits are to short articles written by gaming websites that offer very bane-bones knowledge, many written before the game even came out and we knew all about it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Luck seems to dovetail well with a lot of VATS-usage, but Strength and Agility seem to be the key to melee. Especially if you are a melee stealth killer going for those crazy ninja bonuses.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mega64 posted:

I'd say it's the equivalent of having a cyborg dog who you take because why not and shove it into The Castle to hang with chem junkies and the robot that makes beer. Then occasionally you throw it a hot plate and it gives you a silencer for a pipe pistol before going back to picking Mutfruit.

Drinking Buddy is my favorite part of this game

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I just got an interesting bug with one of the endings and was wondering if anyone else had seen this. I had already done the institute ending, so I wanted to try either the BOS or railroad one. I decided on BOS right after the Battle of Bunker Hill quest and didn't bother turning in the quest to Father. Every now and then I'd see him standing on the CIT roof as I passed by. I think he was there at least three weeks while I did various brotherhood stuff (he's a very patient man).

After blowing up the institute the first thing I did was go over to have a look at the crater. I climbed down into it and was just starting to have a look around when I was surprised by a man falling from the sky. More surprisingly, the mystery sky-man turned out to be Father. He seems to be stuck in a loop where he spawns in, falls, has just enough time to stand up, then is teleported back to where the CIT roof would be and falls again. It's actually sort of tragic to think that he'll probably be stuck like that forever in this savegame.

Here are some screens. Please also note the floating suit of power armor.
http://imgur.com/KogpwVz
http://imgur.com/6DFuIZx
http://imgur.com/frrKHLY

Also is Father supposed to show up in the institute when you're assaulting it? It seemed like there should have been a confrontation in his office, but I just walked over to the terminal and unlocked the stuff / started the evac and there was no Father anywhere to be seen.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MeatloafCat posted:

how up in the institute when you're assaulting it? It seemed like there should have been a confrontation in his office, but I just walked over to the terminal and unlocked the stuff / started the evac and there was no Father anywhere to be seen.

He was there when I assaulted the institute. He was sitting in the bed right next to the terminal, all sick and dying.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, in a fit of boredom I stole every power armor suit from the Prydwyn and the Airport. All going well, other than the fact that when I got back home during one of the runs there's a Knight stealing back his armor.

Anyone else that swiped the suits have that issue/have ideas on how to prevent it? I could just remove all entrances to my power armor storage, but knowing Bethesda they'd just warp in there on magical brahmin anyway.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Azhais posted:

So, in a fit of boredom I stole every power armor suit from the Prydwyn and the Airport. All going well, other than the fact that when I got back home during one of the runs there's a Knight stealing back his armor.

Anyone else that swiped the suits have that issue/have ideas on how to prevent it? I could just remove all entrances to my power armor storage, but knowing Bethesda they'd just warp in there on magical brahmin anyway.

NPCs shouldn't be able to take power armor if you remove the core, but maybe these are special cause they're stolen.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

We need brahmin power armor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JackBadass posted:

We need brahmin power armor.

You mean cower armour.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You mean cower armour.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TG-Chrono posted:

Buying season passes is dumb but buying Bethesda Fallout Season passes is especially dumb.

Dunno why people are doing multiple faction playthroughs. I gamed up until the last 30 minutes where you have to actually make a choice then loaded that save to get ending variables. Blech.

Going to plat this game and throw it in a smelter.

F3 had some decent dlcs. Granted Zeta went full retard and not anywhere close to fun but the rest ranged from ok to the pretty drat bueno Point Lookout. The story of Pitt was clumsy but I'd give the atmosphere and crawl itself some credit. None but Point Lookout were even close to NV DLC but still... fun. People rip on Bethesda for DLCs but even Oblivion had that Shrouded Isles DLC that was freakin amazing. Skyrim had Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn. Dawnguard had a kosher story with some decent options for vamp or vamp hunter play. Gave me a crossbow and the ability to dress my dude like he was a Witcher so I was happy. Dragonborn was a trip back to Morrowind days and was worth the price alone. Long winded and all but seriously buying a season pass isn't a sure sign of mental deficiency. Far, far worse companies to take a chance on.

Yardbomb posted:

4 also has some neat companions that I'd like to know more about upon meeting them, as compared to 3 where I remember Dogmeat because Dog, a ghoul mercenary I think guy who refused to push the button at the end, a super mutant who refused to push the button at the end and that's honestly all I can name off without looking up the rest.

Fawkes was the super mutant and Charon the ghoul. Fawkes said it was your destiny to do this and Charon was just like "naaaaah". Broken Steel fixed that in a way that made me chuckle at the time. There was also a robot that was a bit patriotic and my boy Jericho. He was the chain smoking ex-raider that normally fit the bad guy profile. Course he was just merely ok unless you did bit of conning and took him with you while you were the wasteland Kal-El/ Steve Rogers. He wouldn't really leave on his own but would constantly bitch about you being a goody two shoes. Had decent stealth and guns to boot. Made me grin at least.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 15, 2015

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Upload your most beautiful Fallout 4 pix everybody

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Von_Doom posted:

F3 had some decent dlcs. Granted Zeta went full retard and not anywhere close to fun but the rest ranged from ok to the pretty drat bueno Point Lookout. The story of Pitt was clumsy but I'd give the atmosphere and crawl itself some credit. None but Point Lookout were even close to NV DLC but still... fun. People rip on Bethesda for DLCs but even Oblivion had that Shrouded Isles DLC that was freakin amazing. Skyrim had Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn. Dawnguard had a kosher story with some decent options for vamp or vamp hunter play. Gave me a crossbow and the ability to dress my dude like he was a Witcher so I was happy. Dragonborn was a trip back to Morrowind days and was worth the price alone. Long winded and all but seriously buying a season pass isn't a sure sign of mental deficiency. Far, far worse companies to take a chance on.

Zeta was middle of the road as far as quality between the five DLCs. Operation Anchorage was obviously the worst with the Pitt trailing just behind it. Broken Steel should have been in the base game, and Point Lookout was the best. Compared to NV's DLC, FO3 definitely did a lot better in terms of "fun". NV's only really fun DLC * was Old World Blues. The rest just felt tedious to the point of not being enjoyable.

Skyrim was a dud on DLC. Yeah, Dragonborn was good, but Dawnguard was a snoozefest and Hearthfire was something that should have been added in a patch. At least it was only like $3, though.

*weapon DLC excluded.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

whaley posted:

I would but my god I think I don't want to play a lot of Fallout 4 anymore.

Maybe it's the "No Power Armor Fusion Core Drain" mod. Or maybe because I'm literally going the same path I always do in these games. Or maybe even the fact that there's no Legendary Enemy Gangbang Fuckfest right in my vicinity.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Hi,

My laptop is roached and I need to get a new one. I am trying to be at the bare bones economical to-the-wall minimum to play Fallout 4 and still have a pleasant gaming experience. Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop? I can not do a PC as I travel.

I love Toshibas but I'm open to anything. I appreciate any replies.

My budget is maybe 500-800??ish

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

whaley posted:

A quiet little resort town in the north eastern US.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MageMage posted:

Hi,

My laptop is roached and I need to get a new one. I am trying to be at the bare bones economical to-the-wall minimum to play Fallout 4 and still have a pleasant gaming experience. Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop? I can not do a PC as I travel.

Console probably

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

whaley posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Anchorage was better than The Pitt. The Pitt was an interesting area I guess and had some cool items. Though I have no idea what happened in it. At least Anchorage was kind of fun to mess around in.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_sandwich ?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

whaley posted:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MageMage posted:

Hi,

i suggest asking this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=431#lastpost

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I think Anchorage was better than The Pitt. The Pitt was an interesting area I guess and had some cool items. Though I have no idea what happened in it. At least Anchorage was kind of fun to mess around in.

I think the only reason I rank Operation Anchorage lower than the Pitt is because OA tried to force the gameplay too far into the action shooter area. Felt kind of ham-fisted the way it turned out. I think OA would have fit much better as a DLC for Fallout 4 since the mechanics of that game are naturally more on the shooter end than 3 was.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I liked the Pitt quite a bit. I liked that it gave you mid-tier items instead of the ridiculously overpowered loot from the other DLCs, meaning you could play it early on without it destroying the already-wobbly difficulty curve, and the various raider gear they added was some of the best-looking armor in the game. I also really liked the idea of a rickety bridge city cris-crossing between ruined skyscrapers, even if the engine couldn't really handle it.

Mothership Zeta was not only the worst F3 DLC, it may be one of the worst DLC I think I've ever played.

Well, that or Leliana's Song.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I'll never understand how people do this to their games and think it looks good.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

I'll never understand how people do this to their games and think it looks good.

What? Is it a lighting mod or something?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I liked the Pitt quite a bit. I liked that it gave you mid-tier items instead of the ridiculously overpowered loot from the other DLCs, meaning you could play it early on without it destroying the already-wobbly difficulty curve, and the various raider gear they added was some of the best-looking armor in the game. I also really liked the idea of a rickety bridge city cris-crossing between ruined skyscrapers, even if the engine couldn't really handle it.

Mothership Zeta was not only the worst F3 DLC, it may be one of the worst DLC I think I've ever played.

Well, that or Leliana's Song.

The Pitt was the best of both worlds if you're looking for bad DLC: boring scenery and boring story. Zeta might not have been amazing, but it at least stayed somewhat interesting.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Dumb Bug of the Day: Are you moving butt gently caress slow with a weapon out? Slower than you should be with a weapon out? Check and see if you have two different types of grenades/mines equiped.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jay Rust posted:

Remember how good the arena in Oblivion was? No?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUQvHzLfZzg

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

New Leaf posted:

I ran with Piper almost exclusively on my first character and never encountered that.

It was annoying. She still had the dialog tree like she was following me, but she just stayed put and did her own thing in Diamond City no matter how many times I changed Zones. I could even give instructions for her to move to various places, and she'd just ignore them, go sit down and finish her drink.

I need to backtrack and go take Hancock with me for my next run, since I realize I forgot to ever take him on as an official companion.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

JackBadass posted:

The Pitt was the best of both worlds if you're looking for bad DLC: boring scenery and boring story. Zeta might not have been amazing, but it at least stayed somewhat interesting.

I remember looking about while creeping on girders kilos high and the view being cool. Maybe I remember wrong. I remember the story being rather awkward with a choice to help or harm slavers with a magic cure baby thrown in. I wouldn't call it the worst. Zeta wanted to be fun and corny but it just didn't click with me. Even a cowboy and a samurai couldn't make me play it again. Hated it.

Did you not like Honest Hearts at all? I thought that was rather neat. The Survivors story alone just made that DLC. Dead Money I loved but I get why half the FO players don't enjoy it at all. I also am one of the few that liked Lonesome Road so maybe I'm just weird.

F4 Talk. Looking to actually nab an xbox uno for this. For my initial plays I tend to not use VATS at all and do a silenced short/mid range guns & knife sneak build. From what Im seeing sneak build might be a bit wonky with legendary deathclaws porting in from nowhere. How is it in your fine goonpinion? Also how is the power drain with power armour in game? I really like the idea of jump pack power armour but would get annoying to only walk around 5 minutes or so without my super power armour becoming a better decorated millstone.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 15, 2015

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

RBA Starblade posted:

The hunting rifle/sniper rifle is kind of poo poo in this game. It fires way too slowly to keep up with anything.

I suppose it depends in the difficulty but there are at least 3 different perks that add sniper damage.

Rifle damage bonus
Sneak attack bonus
Suppressed weapon sneak attack bonus

It all stacks. Maybe the sniper rifle was never meant to be a main weapon for toe to toe fighting. I use it to thin out enemies frim afar before I move in.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Von_Doom posted:

Also how is the power drain with power armour in game? I really like the idea of jump pack power armour but would get annoying to only walk around 5 minutes or so without my super power armour becoming a better decorated millstone.
The cores for the armour are pretty common and pretty generous, and that's before the perks. You probably could run around in it nearly 100% of the time once you hit midgame.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Von_Doom posted:

I remember looking about while creeping on girders kilos high and the view being cool. Maybe I remember wrong. I remember the story being rather awkward with a choice to help or harm slavers with a magic cure baby thrown in. I wouldn't call it the worst. Zeta wanted to be fun and corny but it just didn't click with me. Even a cowboy and a samurai couldn't make me play it again. Hated it.

Did you not like Honest Hearts at all? I thought that was rather neat. The Survivors story alone just made that DLC. Dead Money I loved but I get why half the FO players don't enjoy it at all. I also am one of the few that liked Lonesome Road so maybe I'm just weird.

F4 Talk. Looking to actually nab an xbox uno for this. For my initial plays I tend to not use VATS at all and do a silenced short/mid range guns & knife sneak build. From what Im seeing sneak build might be a bit wonky with legendary deathclaws porting in from nowhere. How is it in your fine goonpinion? Also how is the power drain with power armour in game? I really like the idea of jump pack power armour but would get annoying to only walk around 5 minutes or so without my super power armour becoming a better decorated millstone.

Honest Hearts was my least favorite. The whole thing was just so drawn out and boring. Only good thing out of it was the weapons, and even those were just kind of okay.

And get a PS4 if you're going to play it on console.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The only correct way to finish the Pitt was to eat the baby.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Okay, so I finally figured out how to get the Silver Shroud quests going, and did that. Everyone's right; those quests were amazing. I only broke character once, to save Kent by making Sinjin attack me first.

The thing is when I started the quest, I was level 26, and so just missed out on getting an upgrade to the armor, so I put it away and went to do some stuff from my incredible backlog of quests. The first thing I did was to walk the Freedom Trail; and then, a truckload of radiant Railroad quests later, I find myself at level 35 with Curie's perk, and upgraded Silver Shroud armor that's just a few points below what I was wearing anyway.

So I figured it was time to do a few story quests. I'm, like, 70 hours in here, and the last one I did was "Dangerous Minds" back at, like, 19 hours or so? So I put on some power armor, bought a few more fusion cores with ammo I don't use, and headed down to The Glowing Sea, and, well, wow. That was kind of amazing and tense. An area really unlike anywhere I'd been, deathclaws roaring up out of the glowing fog. It was the first time I'd spent more than a little time in power armor. I came really close to dying to a legendary glowing radscorpion. At one point, trudging towards Virgil's cave, I heard something off to the left, and looked, and saw a legendary deathclaw fighting a small swarm of radscorpions. Nope, I said, and kept trudging. The end location being literally off the map is also a really nifty thing.

I'm still really enjoying this game, and glad that I'm really enjoying it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So i'm using some mods that add music to Diamond City Radio (without replacing anything, thankfully), and I'm trudging through a ridiculous pile of ferals in my T-60, mowing the fuckers down with a minigun, and this song comes on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IAZsprQzoI

It just... worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

People keep saying "Oh Fallout 3 had better exploration" but I don't really know what that means. More dungeons?

• Locked thread