Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I might have missed this, but if not, it's also good to have shears on hand. It means you can always get them out quickly without risk of cutting them, whether there's a physical issue, a mental issue, or just because someone's ringing the doorbell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I might have missed this, but if not, it's also good to have shears on hand. It means you can always get them out quickly without risk of cutting them, whether there's a physical issue, a mental issue, or just because someone's ringing the doorbell.

I don't think anyone said it, but yes, EMT sheers are cheap to get at a Walmart or drugstore, and very good to keep around just in case.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Travis343 posted:

Oh absolutely. Like, we're not really taught the difference between vagina, labia, clitoris, vulva, etc.

necrobobsledder posted:

How many men know about the terms (let alone what they are) glans, epididymis, Cowper's gland, vas deferens, etc.?

I actually feel a little bit personally insulted by this, even though it looks like I shouldn't be? It sounds like my experiences weren't typical, but all my male friends know the difference between a vagina, labia, clitoris, and vulva, because they're all clearly very different objects. And though admittedly the subject hasn't been covered much, I know for sure that at minimum a majority know about penis words as well; glans, Cowper's fluid, etc. A lot of this is covered even is adolescent anatomy books: "This is the VULVA. The inside part is called the VAGINA, and it leads to the UTERUS" and so on.My kneejerk reaction is to say you're all idiots who pay no attention, but it seems very unlikely for that to be true, and quite likely that I had the unusual experiences. But that makes me feel... whoo. Like taking to a crazy conspiracy guy on the bus, and then a bunch of other people all corroborate that yeah, EVERYONE know radio waves rot your teeth, man, it's a commonly-known fact, and then I have to reevaluate my entire Accepted View of the World.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

John Lee posted:

I actually feel a little bit personally insulted by this, even though it looks like I shouldn't be? It sounds like my experiences weren't typical, but all my male friends know the difference between a vagina, labia, clitoris, and vulva, because they're all clearly very different objects. And though admittedly the subject hasn't been covered much, I know for sure that at minimum a majority know about penis words as well; glans, Cowper's fluid, etc. A lot of this is covered even is adolescent anatomy books: "This is the VULVA. The inside part is called the VAGINA, and it leads to the UTERUS" and so on.My kneejerk reaction is to say you're all idiots who pay no attention, but it seems very unlikely for that to be true, and quite likely that I had the unusual experiences. But that makes me feel... whoo. Like taking to a crazy conspiracy guy on the bus, and then a bunch of other people all corroborate that yeah, EVERYONE know radio waves rot your teeth, man, it's a commonly-known fact, and then I have to reevaluate my entire Accepted View of the World.

I mean I think a lot of guys know that now. I don't think most people are taught that in sex ed, or if they are it's very brief and never repeated past the one class that most people have at age 11-13 or so. I barely remember sex ed class but I know I didn't know what a clitoris was until late high school, and I didn't start making the vulva/vagina distinction until some time in my 20s. I think most people know the clitoris if only because of the joke about guys not being able to find it.

Generally guys have to seek that information out, it's not really presented to people much, and a lot of dudes don't care to make that effort.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

John Lee posted:

I doubt you had an unusual upbringing, but a fair amount of people don't pay close attention to those anatomy textbooks, or forget later since it's not often we need those distinctions in everyday life. I'm sure some of it is guys not caring because of patriarchy or whatever, but there are certainly people that think more in terms of real objects than abstract words, and probably know what all these things are, but only knows the words for a few of them, and may use the wrong word because "hey, you know what I mean". People also tend to attract friends that are like them, so it's likely that your friends are friends in part because they're the kind of people that retain vocabulary well.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

People also tend to attract friends that are like them, so it's likely that your friends are friends in part because they're the kind of people that retain vocabulary well.

"I only make friends with people who meet my spectacurifficly strict standards of vocabularical excellency!"

(But yeah, I know what you mean; that somewhat makes sense)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Lee posted:

I actually feel a little bit personally insulted by this, even though it looks like I shouldn't be? It sounds like my experiences weren't typical, but all my male friends know the difference between a vagina, labia, clitoris, and vulva, because they're all clearly very different objects. And though admittedly the subject hasn't been covered much, I know for sure that at minimum a majority know about penis words as well; glans, Cowper's fluid, etc
All your male friends might, but many men don't know the words labia/clitoris/vulva in the first place.

also I can 100% guarantee you that the majority of men do not know the term "Cowper's fluid"

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

John Lee posted:

Yeah, it was a pretty bad analogy, because not knowing the difference between vagina and vulva isn't like not knowing where the Cowper's gland is, it's like not knowing the difference between penis and scrotum/testicles and calling the whole thing "penis." The reason guys know the latter and not the former is because:

Travis343 posted:

Generally guys have to seek that information out, it's not really presented to people much, and a lot of dudes don't care to make that effort.

And that's because our culture is weird about women's bodies and we do a bad job of sex ed. It's not about retaining vocabulary; it's about some stuff being "common knowledge" and some stuff not, despite being at an equivalent level of complexity.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

All your male friends might, but many men don't know the words labia/clitoris/vulva in the first place.

also I can 100% guarantee you that the majority of men do not know the term "Cowper's fluid"

I had to Google it because normal, functioning human beings just call it precum.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

At my Deep South public school we had sex ed as a week long special event in 5th grade, as part of a semester long health class in 7th grade, and as part of a one semester health and wellness class in 9th grade. Only in 9th grade was the sexual education portion co-educational. In 5th and 7th grade they split the boys and the girls. We were taught nothing about the other sex and we weren't even allowed to ask questions. And this wasn't some podunk school either, we were in a wealthy and fairly liberal metro area zip code. But they taught us worse than nothing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Faerunner posted:

Many men also think that pee comes out of the vagina, and don't know what/where the clit is. It's pretty terrifying asking the average American male about basic female anatomy.

Abstinence based sex ed is a thing.

A lovely, lovely thing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had abstinence-based sex ed, but that didn't get us out of labeling diagrams with the epididymis and poo poo. (Don't ask me now . . .)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I guess the real takeaway from all this is that a Sex Questions Megathread is apparently very helpful.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
are a lot of you in the south or something? i grew up in a fairly progressive place and i have literally never encountered an adult man who didn't know what a 'clitoris' was

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I grew up in suburban Ohio and my school district had a pretty decent sex education program - it was basically presented as "abstinence is the only foolproof method, but if you choose to not abstain here's how to be safe about it."

We started in 5th grade and it was covered in some fashion every year until you completed the two credits of high school health class required for graduation .

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I had no idea what cowpers fluid was and I will intentionally forget it again because jesus christ who calls it that?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

are a lot of you in the south or something? i grew up in a fairly progressive place and i have literally never encountered an adult man who didn't know what a 'clitoris' was

Yes. Only my 9th grade health class finally taught boys about the female anatomy and even that was just a clinical listing of the parts. At that age most of our knowledge of the clitoris came from the South Park movie.

Also my religious parents didn't have the birds and the bees talk with me until my junior year of college.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Has anyone heard of/done reverse kegels? They say that if you have extra tight pelvic muscles or certain conditions, kegels are actually a bad idea and make you worse. Instead pelvic PTs suggest reverse ones, where you essentially do the opposite thing by relaxing and dropping your pelvic floor. I'm trying to do them because I do have chronic pelvic tension for a variety of reasons. Also, when I finally figured out how to do them in reverse, the tension did ease up in the pelvic area quite a bit.

However, I'm scared to let go of doing kegels (:haw:) Tightening the PC muscles during sex seems to "squeeze" whoever I'm with, which they like. I don't want to ditch that move. Also, my PC muscles are pretty weak to begin with and I'm scared that going into reverse mode will make them too loose or something. I don't know. Has anyone had experience with reverse kegels and seen any long-term benefits?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You'll still be able to tighten them, they just won't stay as tight by default. You won't lose strength.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Please work out.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Related to male ignorance about the female anatomy. Apparently it goes both ways.

Years ago, I knew a guy who had a vasectomy around the same time as I did. He related a funny story to me about how after he had the procedure done, the first time his wife saw him naked she accused him of lying about having had it done. She pointed at his testicles and said, "but they're still there."

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Did he explain that there wouldn't be a vas deferens between his old ballsac and new?

My health class was a little different. It was in Texas, taught by the JV football coach who was right after college. Right after one of the talks during the sex ed unit of health, Coach sat down and was very serious "It has been brought to my attention that something I said earlier in the week was offensive and I would like to apologize." The students had no clue what he was talking about and so we asked "Which thing?"
He answered "The thing I said about semen." "What did you say?" "How I said semen has a lot of protein in it and protein is good for girls' hair and so...." And then a kid cut him off and said "You actually said that to second period."

He was an interesting guy. During the alcohol safety unit he told us that he met his wife and the first time they went out he got her drunk on The Three Wisemen. Then he taught us who they were. Fun times!

I maintain that nothing fucks up your sex life better than a good old fashioned Christian Extreme sex talk.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Shine posted:

Please work out.

I instinctively tried to "Like" this post.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

JustAurora posted:

Did he explain that there wouldn't be a vas deferens between his old ballsac and new?

...I see what you did there, and I approve.

And no I'm not from the South and my health class was fairly comprehensive in terms of sex ed, but I have a pretty widespread group of coworkers, acquaintances and forum posters on which I base my observations. It's not just sexual anatomy; people are stupid about their bodies in every way. I've heard coworkers talking in the breakroom about health-related things, and it blows my mind that they managed to keep breathing let alone communicate with their doctors in any meaningful fashion. So yes, the sex thread is a good thing.

Since it's the season for baby-making, how are you planning your holiday festivities in the bedroom? Dress up as Santa? Tie a ribbon around your naughty bits and make your partner unwrap you? Swapping the sex toys for giant candy canes? (Use condoms! Sugar and peppermint were not meant for insertion!) Getting drunk and going home with someone just because you don't want to spend New Years' alone again?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is it bad if I go into New Year's sober hoping to go home with someone and leave drunk and alone? Because that's probably what will happen.

:smith:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KillHour posted:

Is it bad if I go into New Year's sober hoping to go home with someone and leave drunk and alone? Because that's probably what will happen.

Tell people about your audio setup. That should convince them to go home with you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Tell people about your audio setup. That should convince them to go home with you.

:iceburn:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Faerunner posted:

spend New Years' alone again

Pretty much this :smith:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Is this the pitiful new years plans thread?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Faerunner posted:

It's not just sexual anatomy; people are stupid about their bodies in every way. I've heard coworkers talking in the breakroom about health-related things, and it blows my mind that they managed to keep breathing let alone communicate with their doctors in any meaningful fashion.

This could be its own thread.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

KillHour posted:

I'm spending New Year's 350 miles away from home so I can sleep with a stranger and not risk seeing them ever again

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mak0rz posted:

If it's a good audio setup they won't have to, they can just follow him home at a discreet distance and listen from outside.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Shine posted:

Please work out.

It has nothing to do with working out. I have interstitial cystitis, which tends to come with/maybe cause pelvic floor dysfunction syndrome AKA tight pelvic floor muscles. This is why they say traditional kegels could be a bad idea; like overstressing a strained back, you could just be making your problem worse. Anyway it turns out the day after I did the pelvic floor exercises, I saw a ton of blood :stare: like, first day period's blood. Then it went away. I'm used to seeing blood out of loving nowhere because I have endometriosis and am on birth control, and both can cause irregular bleeding, but seriously what the gently caress? I'm going to probably try it again tonight to see if there's a direct correlation between the exercises and the bleeding.

(For anyone who reads the above paragraph and goes GETTOADOCTORNOWNOWNOW, I've been checked out thoroughly right down to MRIs, ultrasounds and a diagnostic laproscopic surgery all in this year. I know what's wrong, and there shouldn't be any lurking vagina demons that the doctors don't know about.)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm a doctor and I can tell you now that if you don't start squatting you're going to die

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bobula posted:

I'm spending New Year's 350 miles away from home so I can sleep with a stranger and not risk seeing them ever again

But what if they do the same exact thing and it turns out you actually live like two blocks away? I smell a rom-com!

Jedit posted:

If it's a good audio setup they won't have to, they can just follow him home at a discreet distance and listen from outside.

M4W - looking for audiophile stalker to hide in bushes. Must like EDM and pop. NO COUNTRY!!!!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 16, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's so special about being alone on new year's eve anyway?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Poil posted:

Maybe the realization that yet another year went by being emotionally and physically unfulfilled and that you're probably going to die alone and it will be months before anyone finds your body, half eaten by your pet cats?

Not that I'd know that feeling or anything. I'm just assuming. :smithicide:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Poil posted:

You get to make out with strangers and they feel obligated to comply because it's ~*tradition*~

In other words, gooncamp.jpg

halenaw
Jul 10, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

You get to make out with strangers and they feel obligated to comply because it's ~*tradition*~

In other words, gooncamp.jpg

Lol reminds me of a guy who followed me around a New Years party asking "is it my turn yet?" even after I told him no.

I ain't gonna pity make out with anyone, pleb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

halenaw posted:

Lol reminds me of a guy who followed me around a New Years party asking "is it my turn yet?" even after I told him no.

I ain't gonna pity make out with anyone, pleb.

What the hell? :gonk: