Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup, Already have an asp set up for robigo runs, was just hoping that after all that grind I could set up a bigger/more fun ship for bounty hunting or something.

E: Also is there a way to get rid of the ridiculous ~PLEASE WAIT~ bullshit in starport menus? It's almost 2016 I shouldn't need to wait 15-30 seconds after clicking something.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The FdL is a hell of a lot cheaper to fit out than a Python but it can also only really bounty hunt.

(It's going to be god-tier tomorrow with the buffs though.)

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 15, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
If you want to do bounty hunting, really consider taking A-rated sensors too. There's a terrible trend about those not mattering but the space covered by the added radius is pretty big, and you'll catch more things in the RES that you'd otherwise miss by a klick or two. A scanner with a 5 kilometer range will cover a volume of space less than half of what a 7 kilometer scanner will.

Sard fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 15, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sard posted:

If you want to do bounty hunting, really consider taking A-rated sensors too. There's a terrible trend about those not mattering but the space covered by the added radius is pretty big, and you'll catch more things in the RES that you'd otherwise miss by a klick or two.

My favorite part of hunting in the Python versus the Vulture is that the Python can easily handle nice QoL things like A-class sensors and KWS.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Naturally Selected posted:

So if I have about 100M right now, is it worthwhile to poo poo-fit a python or something to run robigo or other long-range trading missions, or am I better off sticking with the ASP?

Also, what's it cost for a non-shitfit FDL/Python?

60 or 70m i think to fit out a good FDL, not sure on python.

I used the link in the OP to max fit a FDL with the new bigger power plant and the super plasma gun and stuff and it came to like 96m i think

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Anyone know what time Horizons goes live?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Logged back in prep for Horizons and I remember why I quit (although it was only meant to be a short term thing) in the first place. I finally got an Asp, but I couldn't find fittings for it to save my life, after jumping around to a dozen different high tech systems. Is there a system where I can reasonably expect to find a selection of Class 4 modules?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

nessin posted:

Logged back in prep for Horizons and I remember why I quit (although it was only meant to be a short term thing) in the first place. I finally got an Asp, but I couldn't find fittings for it to save my life, after jumping around to a dozen different high tech systems. Is there a system where I can reasonably expect to find a selection of Class 4 modules?

Diaguandri is a good Yong-mart place though I had to search for a 6A fuel scoop on eddb.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
RIP space helecopter, if only I could put a cargo rack on you with all the stuff you need to explore

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

nessin posted:

Station search on eddb.io takes a lot of the guesswork out of module hunting, and you can filter by Li space exclusively if you're a cheapskate like me. Note that while it may not be 100% accurate all of the time (because who knows what voodoo goes into determining what stations stock what at any given time), it's still a great time-saver.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

nessin posted:

Inara has a pretty robust module search function as well.

hakimashou posted:

Anyone know what time Horizons goes live?

Braben is doing an AMA tomorrow at 10am so maybe around then?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shine posted:

My favorite part of hunting in the Python versus the Vulture is that the Python can easily handle nice QoL things like A-class sensors and KWS.
Yeah, it's gonna be a hard choice between FDL and Python for just general bounty hunting after 1.5 drops. The increased power means the FDL can easily fit A rated sensors/a good KWS and it also has 6 utility slots but by the same token it's got way less internal slots and more firepower/a bigger distributor. I guess it'll probably end up as FDL if I feel like paying attention and Python if I feel like being lazy.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
When can I get Horizons on Steam?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Speaking of bounty hunting, I finally stopped being lazy and got enough fed rank to buy a FAS and I'm excited to murder things with it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Shine posted:

Speaking of bounty hunting, I finally stopped being lazy and got enough fed rank to buy a FAS and I'm excited to murder things with it.

I'm one rank away from the Corvette as of just now :toot:

Hopefully the mission changes won't make it too painful!

I also hope the bug in beta 6 that keeps you from completing cargo missions is fixed in the next 12 hours!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I also hope the bug in beta 6 that keeps you from completing cargo missions is fixed in the next 12 hours!
That'll be a rude shock for all the Robigo runners if it goes live :v:

My body is ready for a disgustingly fat and poor handling cargo cutter.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sard posted:

If you want to do bounty hunting, really consider taking A-rated sensors too. There's a terrible trend about those not mattering but the space covered by the added radius is pretty big, and you'll catch more things in the RES that you'd otherwise miss by a klick or two. A scanner with a 5 kilometer range will cover a volume of space less than half of what a 7 kilometer scanner will.

This would be great if A class sensors didn't add literally 100t to the weight of some ships, for whatever insane reason.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bigger ships have bigger scanners. :shrug:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

160tons worth of scanning equipment to enable them to scan literally the same area as a 10 ton scanner.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

This would be great if A class sensors didn't add literally 100t to the weight of some ships, for whatever insane reason.

The D class sensors on those ships weigh like 75t.

Edit: that doesn't make it any more or less nonsensical but it's the design of the game at the moment and the increase in scanning radius is nice enough to justify the extra weight -- particularly in RES's.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 15, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any early-game ships made for mining or am I gonna have to find another way to earn cash? Trading didn't really do it for me back at release, I don't see that changing now.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any early-game ships made for mining or am I gonna have to find another way to earn cash? Trading didn't really do it for me back at release, I don't see that changing now.

You got like 12 hours to get an asp/cobra and do the robigo thing to make actual not "are you joking gently caress you" money, so get on that. Mining/exploration doesn't pay dick. You can go to high-intensity resource extraction sites and leech kills/bounties from the po-po to make enough for an asp.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The what thing?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't get past the bloody Terms and Conditions page on the frontier site to even download the drat game, let alone maybe buy Horizons. Just keeps looping back to itself. :mad:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

160tons worth of scanning equipment to enable them to scan literally the same area as a 10 ton scanner.
They need the extra power to penetrate the hulls of larger vessels, because they're so thickly smeared in the shame and regret of a wasted life.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ciaphas posted:

I can't get past the bloody Terms and Conditions page on the frontier site to even download the drat game, let alone maybe buy Horizons. Just keeps looping back to itself. :mad:
Maybe try a different browser or use the equivalent of private browsing/incognito mode?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you guys haven't tried it in beta yet, go to Achenar and land on Achenar 3. Or try to land. If you're not prepared, it will not end well. Beta, of course, because you want to try it out.

Gravity is around 6.5x Earth's Gravity

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

If you guys haven't tried it in beta yet, go to Achenar and land on Achenar 3. Or try to land. If you're not prepared, it will not end well. Beta, of course, because you want to try it out.

Gravity is around 6.5x Earth's Gravity

Video of my attempt with my Corvette:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Ciaphas posted:

You can do okay in a Cobra by selectively hunting for and mining painite and platinum, to then sell on the bulletin board with missions asking for that at a great rate per ton. The Adder is probably the earliest viable mining ship but I found it unbearable scooping loose chunks with the cargo scoop located where it is on that ship. This sort of low-quantity/high-quality mining will not pay as well as the established moneygrinds like HazRES and long-range smuggling, but if you want to play "normally" then it's okay. It is good honest character-building work and pays pretty good for the way the game seems to be intended to be played.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Video of my attempt with my Corvette:

I like them odds :jiggled:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Naturally Selected posted:

You got like 12 hours to get an asp/cobra and do the robigo thing to make actual not "are you joking gently caress you" money, so get on that. Mining/exploration doesn't pay dick. You can go to high-intensity resource extraction sites and leech kills/bounties from the po-po to make enough for an asp.

please go take a peep at the PGS thread

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Uhhh is anyone else having the terms and conditions just perpetually want to be signed on their website?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Uhhh is anyone else having the terms and conditions just perpetually want to be signed on their website?

I was yeah. I never got through, ended up googling for a link to the launcher from the forums.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bushiz posted:

please go take a peep at the PGS thread

gently caress me standing. :stare:

And I was just about to strip/sell my asp and start fitting the FDL.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 15, 2015

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I was yeah. I never got through, ended up googling for a link to the launcher from the forums.

This is a problem, because I'm looking to actually buy the expansion. Oh well.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

What time is Horizons supposed to drop?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is a problem, because I'm looking to actually buy the expansion. Oh well.

I spent 45 minutes playing after getting off work and then mostly remembered why I had stopped playing, so no harm no foul on my part :v:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
How has exploration changed with Horizons? Now that I've kitted out my Asp and run some missions/trading to get a next egg of 10 mil, that was my next step before I quit and I still want to do it but I'm wondering if you need any new modules or what planetary landing entails on the exploration side of the house.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

This post is informative and useful, thanks!

I aim to please and entertain!

Also, if you're mainly interested in the mercenary life, I'd consider switching from the Cobra to a Diamondback Scout. The Cobra's a perfectly functional fighter ship, but it's really more of a multipurpose ship - the secondary weapons are positioned kind of awkwardly for a fighter and the wide flat pancake silhouette makes you an easy target from above/below.

Meanwhile, the DB-S has a neat tight convergence on its weapons (making it more flexible on the weapon loadouts you can handle) and turns a lot better than the Cobra while retaining most of the extensive frameshift range, and it has two more utility mounts to boot. The only thing the Cobra is superior on, really, is straightline-speed with the huge-rear end afterburner and cargo capacity. (The DB-S is also slightly cheaper to outfit in the long run, with a smaller set of life support and sensor modules).

Edit: actually looking at the stats, the DB-S has an identical fuel tank and frameshift drive to the Cobra while being a little bit lighter, with lower-class (And thus smaller, lighter) modules. It's not much of a difference but a combat-fit DBS can have a pretty impressive frameshift jump range for a fighter.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Are they ever planning on adding paint jobs for the Courier? Last I checked there were literally zero.

• Locked thread