Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
I'm bad at reading so I hosed up goonrathi registration, but still want to shoot robits with goons.
Can I get an in-game invite? (MWO name is thenamewithoutamonster)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Assaults are the best.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

sebmojo posted:

Someone needs to have premium.

Putting private servers behind a paywall in a "competitive" multiplayer game is such an irritating thing to do, especially if it's not even a "one time off" buy in (albeit, I assume it's due to limitate resources on PGI side). Also, I guess, nothing from those matches is carried over (IE: cbills, xp)? Otherwise what's stopping people from farming out the grind that way?

EDIT: also, since I've got this thing for free, what do you guys think I should change? CN9-AH
I probably don't need all those heat sinks since I've only got MGs and SRMs...or do I? I was thinking of maybe putting an AMS on it, but then I'd have only half a ton of ammo for it...

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 15, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't put AMS on any mech ever.

If you're worried about LRMs there are 3 things you should do:

1) fit a Radar Deprivation module to your mech and get out of sight completely
2) hug anything taller than you are so when the missiles arc over the shooter hits nothing but rock
3) close distance and make the LRM boat panic because "OMG someone is shooting back argh this is bullshit"

Or you can hug a friendly ECM mech and masturbate furiously which is really the best option of them all. Even better if you are the ECM mech and you bought your own lube.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

It's built like that to help a new person not overheat constantly.

If you think you can HANDLE THE HEAT you can try this out.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=9f5523549aefa7ce8553cda67411793608757908

Ended up trying this loadout for a change while grinding for my shotguncrow. Trip report: it turns out I can't HANDLE THE HEAT, actually. It's 20% more DPS on paper but I was doing consistently worse with it because it's less forgiving of idiots like me who can't aim.

Also, hilariously, the first time I swapped I thought those were MLs on the arms and not SPLs and was somewhat surprised when two alphas shut me down. :thumbsup: It's obviously better with the SPLs, but I'm still going to stick with the newbie lasercrow loadout.

I'm looking forward to the shotguncrow, I want to try something where I don't need to manage heat and can just fire everything until I run out of ammo.

CASE is a good idea on a multi-SRM crow, right?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^^^^^^^^^Where are you putting your ammo? If it's in the head/legs, you should be good without CASE (but I'd wait for someone who's more up to speed with the game as it currently is).

The AMS would mostly be for the added benefit of "protect the pubbies not hugging walls". But with just half a ton of ammo I guess it's better to be able to shoot the SRM6s more.

Also, I remember I was able to pilot a Catapult K2 with 2 Gauss and 2 MLs, but when I try to reproduce it on smurfy, this is the best I can get: CPLT-K2. Again, am I missing something obvious? Not even sure if I own a 250St to be honest.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 15, 2015

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

CISscum posted:

I'm bad at reading so I hosed up goonrathi registration, but still want to shoot robits with goons.
Can I get an in-game invite? (MWO name is thenamewithoutamonster)

That forum was 100% dead last I checked.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

CASE is a good idea on a multi-SRM crow, right?

My understanding is that CASE is never a good idea.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
As far as I know all clan mechs are cased up by default. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nurge posted:

As far as I know all clan mechs are cased up by default. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, Clan mechs get CASE for free anywhere they need it. No crits, no tonnage.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

That forum was 100% dead last I checked

Yeah just get on mumble and if there are people around ask for an invite.

Friend request everyone in a goon group so you can send/receive invites without hassle.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, Clan mechs get CASE for free anywhere they need it. No crits, no tonnage.

Good to know, thanks. Be nice if this were indicated anywhere in game. :v:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Does anyone else have this cupcake? I found it at the bottom of my cockpit decorations list. Apparently it's free.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

A Curvy Goonette posted:

mmm...ha ha ha. good luck with that.

every thread i made on the steam forums warning people about helios was deleted. hmmmmm

Steam chat even censors any mention of it. If you try to send a link, it just delivers an undeliverable link message.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

Does anyone else have this cupcake? I found it at the bottom of my cockpit decorations list. Apparently it's free.

Is your account older than MWO's 2 year anniversary? It could be that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That Italian Guy posted:

Also, I remember I was able to pilot a Catapult K2 with 2 Gauss and 2 MLs, but when I try to reproduce it on smurfy, this is the best I can get: CPLT-K2. Again, am I missing something obvious? Not even sure if I own a 250St to be honest.

I always thought the Gaussapult was an XL? CPLT-K2

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

I always thought the Gaussapult was an XL? CPLT-K2

Yeah requires an XL engine, and that you strip armor from the arms. Also it's depreciated as gently caress because imo gently caress gauss. I'd rather pack dual AC20's at this point.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, standard engine was if you wanted to use a double AC20 build which basically nobody did for that reason.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I bought the wrong atlas variant. :saddowns:

Look upon this fool and mocketh me.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

I bought the wrong atlas variant. :saddowns:

Look upon this fool and mocketh me.

There's no true 'wrong' Atlas though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nickiepoo posted:

There's no true 'wrong' Atlas though.

The K is the wrong atlas variant and always will be.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Repo Man posted:

You need to have premium activated, I think.

I sold my 2X a long time ago. Is it as good as the 4X energy quirks? And speaking of Ravens, isolating a lone King Crab on Alpine with my Huggin was great. Killed it just before it's team got to me and murdered me. Too bad they made The Huggin SRM 4 fire so much slower though. With all the internal structure quirks to other mechs, it would help a lot if it was a bit faster.

The 4X has duration -30% and range +30% as well as all the structure and whatever quirks.

The 2X has Cooldown -15%, heat -15%, duration -15%. It allows you to completely ignore the ghost heat penalty- you can fire 3LL 4 or 5 times together with no heat issue even on a hot map. You haven't got as much range as a 4X but if you're going for laser range, get a clan mech imo.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

But...but...2 AMS hardpoints!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Devorum posted:

But...but...2 AMS hardpoints!

Don't forget the additional cost because of the XL engine (that you should never use in a loving atlas)

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Still an Atlas though! Was more my point (because otherwise yes, you're right).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nickiepoo posted:

Still an Atlas though! Was more my point (because otherwise yes, you're right).

The K has the worst hardpoints of any of them, costs 3m more than any of the others, and there's enough other Atlases that you don't need to even think about it. It has a half decent missile cooldown quirk but can only mount one missile, it has a half decent gauss quirk but gauss is now rear end, it's laser cooldowns are the same as the other Atlases and it's structure/armour bonuses are the same as well.

It is the worst atlas.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
Played most of the trial mechs and my favourite is Gauss-Pulse-ML Dire Wolf.
Now I have 20M C-Bills and want to buy a Dakkawolf.
How good/bad idea is it?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CISscum posted:

How good/bad idea is it?

Hilariously fun. Although I don't like mixing ACs. I have one with 4x UAC/5 and a bunch of ML, and one with 6x UAC/2. Another pretty funny thing to ride with is 2x LBX10 + 2x LBX20. Gimmick builds are the most fun ones, and actually surprisingly effective.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CISscum posted:

How good/bad idea is it?

It depends on whether you would rather win or harvest a bounty of madbutt in general chat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CISscum posted:

How good/bad idea is it?

It's bad. ttk is entirely too long, and you'll end up spreading damage over the entire enemy mech because they're twisting to avoid focused damage. Meanwhile the AC/2s force you to stare down every target.

I run with a 3x UAC/10 direwolf with some medium laser backup. It kills poo poo so quickly that even when focused I can usually take one beefy mech with me before I die.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014

Nurge posted:

Hilariously fun. Although I don't like mixing ACs. I have one with 4x UAC/5 and a bunch of ML, and one with 6x UAC/2. Another pretty funny thing to ride with is 2x LBX10 + 2x LBX20. Gimmick builds are the most fun ones, and actually surprisingly effective.
Hilariously fun is my type of fun!

Beet Wagon posted:

It depends on whether you would rather win or harvest a bounty of madbutt in general chat.
Prefer harvesting madbutt any time.

A.o.D. posted:

It's bad. ttk is entirely too long, and you'll end up spreading damage over the entire enemy mech because they're twisting to avoid focused damage. Meanwhile the AC/2s force you to stare down every target.

I run with a 3x UAC/10 direwolf with some medium laser backup. It kills poo poo so quickly that even when focused I can usually take one beefy mech with me before I die.
If DWF-Prime supports 3xUAC shenanigans I'll try both.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I did buy the right atlas after all, its just that the mechbay interface was designed by morons.

After some hardpoint tweaking, I HAVE BECOME DEATH, DESTROYER OF GIANT STOMPY ROBOTS! :unsmigghh:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

it's structure/armour bonuses are the same as well.

Which is arguably the only thing which actually matters.

But yeah, it's the worst variant of the best mech.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Nickiepoo posted:

Which is arguably the only thing which actually matters.

But yeah, it's the worst variant of the best mech.

successful Atlas needs three elements:

1. big structure bonuses

2. that one ballistic slot

3. At least three missile slots

The third thing is probably the most important because the SRMs are your big damage-dealer, and two just doesn't cut it. Other weapons don't sync up well at all with the way to properly play an Atlas

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Most of this was just so that the guy above didn't feel too bad about buying the wrong mastery-fodder chassis but he didn't even do that so gently caress it. K bad.

Having said that, we've been seeing all the pubbie atlas builds of the rainbow and still panic focusing because it's still an Atlas so :shrug:

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the
If someone can toss a clan invite to theOctagon and/or a PM with the mumble details. I will be on for the next few hours if anyone wants to group up and watch me try and remember how to play this game.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Part of me wants to buy the Kit Fox with 3 AMS and load it with nothing but AMS ammo, then loudly announce that people need to stay near me for LRM protection.

"AMS boat here, stay close to stay dry!"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CISscum posted:

Hilariously fun is my type of fun!

Prefer harvesting madbutt any time.

If DWF-Prime supports 3xUAC shenanigans I'll try both.

Then put as many C-UAC5s on there as you can and enjoy. Also C-UAC10. I run a Warhawk kitted out with two of those and it makes people rage.

Devorum posted:

Part of me wants to buy the Kit Fox with 3 AMS and load it with nothing but AMS ammo, then loudly announce that people need to stay near me for LRM protection.

You could just B33f it and chase down their LRMboats for "point blank AMS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Devorum posted:

I'd do that, but swap out all the Kitfox C parts (that's the ecm/ams version) for 4 missile hardpoints and run around shotgunning things right after the lrms start falling.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Then put as many C-UAC5s on there as you can and enjoy. Also C-UAC10. I run a Warhawk kitted out with two of those and it makes people rage.

You could just B33f it and chase down their LRMboats for "point blank AMS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

This video is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rhymenoserous posted:

This video is brilliant.

Pretty much everything TheB33f does in MWO is amazing. I actually had the honor of getting rekt by his 12 ERPPC Dire Wolf a couple nights ago.

• Locked thread