Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Duo posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a post-apocalyptic type roguelike but without zombie survival type stuff like Cataclysm (I'll still give it a shot though) or the over the top wackiness of something like hellmoo? I just finished Fallout 2 for the first time the other day and it got me in the mood for something in the style of that or Wasteland. Doesn't really have to be a nuclear type setting either. I know steam keeps recommending Neo Scavenger to me which might be sort of what I'm looking for.

Caves of Qud?

It's a roguelike blind spot for me tbh, but I think it'd fit the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duo
Aug 4, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

Caves of Qud?

It's a roguelike blind spot for me tbh, but I think it'd fit the bill.

I have sproggiwood on my phone and enjoy it, so should be worth giving that one a shot since its same developer. I'll try the free ascii version :)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

:ohdearsass: The Twelve Days of Roguemas :ohdearsass:

On the third day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

Three ghosts from Chile
Two armored deathbots
And a tiny boat on a scary sea

Abyss Odyssey exists at this weird crossroads between art nouveau stylings, Smash Bros mechanics, and roguelike design. It's a potent mix that you never fully get used to, one of those rare indie games that feels incredibly indie no matter how long you play it. Perhaps even more remarkable is the way these elements harmonize to form something not just unique, but entertaining as well.

It's the close of the 19th century and something nasty is happening under the streets of Santiago, Chile. You get dumped into the world as the absolutely drop-dead gorgeous Katrien, a hardy swordswoman who is refreshingly up-front about her mysterious origins. There's a warlock slumbering deep beneath the surface, and his nightmares are becoming reality. To put a stop to it, you descend through a randomly-generated network of caves, collect gold, weapons, and items, and defeat a bizarre host of monsters on your way to end the warlock once and for all.

The way this plays out is in a long series of short levels that are light on platforming and heavy on beat-em-upping. Comparisons to Smash Bros are not lazy, because this game uses the same facing systems, same jump mechanics, and it even has a sort of Smash button for special moves. If you ever played the story mode in SSB Brawl, this will feel very familiar. Monsters range from jaunty skeletons to deer people to flying regalia, and the bosses that you sometimes run across are some of the most unique I've ever seen. There's also a really cool capture system where you can claim an enemy's soul to use as a second character, making the wide variety of creative foes even more appealing.

My only real knock against this game is the uneven difficulty curve... or maybe it's actually the learning curve. The first few times I played, I couldn't make it more than a few floors. Then one night I had some kind of breakthrough, and I haven't died since. One irritation is what happens when you die, because you get replaced with a weak, clunky soldier and you can't get Katrien back unless you find a special shrine that only appears once every few floors. Floors can be rated easy, medium, or hard, which has a dramatic effect on how aggressive enemies will be. However, the AI can get confused pretty easily, slipping between countering every move and standing there to get wailed on. You'll need to stick with it awhile to really get into the flow, but there's a surprising amount of secrets and special floors to discover along the way.

I don't need to tell you how good this game looks, because just look at it. The art style sets the whole thing off, working perfectly with the late 19th century setting and the dreamworld motifs. There are two additional characters to unlock, additional special moves to upgrade, and a colorful cast of NPCs to learn about. Once you learn the rhythm of the game and learn where to spend your gold, you'll have plenty of fun venturing into the abyss again and again.

Surprisingly fun, and no one mentions how incredibly fluidly the animations work. But it is one of those games that will drive you completely nuts until you hit your stride, then it is time to bring the pain!

SPOILER: Donating to the fountains in the treasure tooms are your friend.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There were a ton of bugs on PS3 Abyss Odyssey for months and months, but they finally got around to fixing them and adding in the option for you to not hit your co-op partner. There's still quite a bit of slowdown in some of the more graphic intensive areas though, which is kind of a shame cause it's a nice game to play on the couch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Duo posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a post-apocalyptic type roguelike but without zombie survival type stuff like Cataclysm (I'll still give it a shot though) or the over the top wackiness of something like hellmoo? I just finished Fallout 2 for the first time the other day and it got me in the mood for something in the style of that or Wasteland. Doesn't really have to be a nuclear type setting either. I know steam keeps recommending Neo Scavenger to me which might be sort of what I'm looking for.

If you want plain ol survival without weirdness, there's always Unreal World. It's actually iron-age in setting though, not post-apocalyptic but its the same difference right? You can also turn off a lot of the oddities in Cataclysm through the mod menu.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The Ground Gives Way is pretty cool, although I'm not a fan of the design choice to have a single "do something" button. Space is the key to wait in place, but it also drinks from fountains, goes up/down stairs, auto-walks along corridor, and maybe some other things. And this last one is more my fault than the game's, but I keep trying to press space to clear messages that pop up and I end up wasting a turn standing still right after "you trigger a trap!" or "you are drowning!".

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I keep doing that too, or hitting 's' and yelling at the nearby goblin "DONT JUST STAND THERE COME AT ME BRO".

It's solidified my need for tilesets though: ASCII kills my eyes after 20 minutes

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Duo posted:

I recommend Neo Scavenger quite a bit, there's a free demo you can try out too.

Also HSL talk; good lord I'm glad I got it for free. It's just the loving worst and boring as gently caress.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

On the fourth day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

Four castle wings
Three ghosts from Chile
Two armored deathbots
And a tiny boat on a scary sea

If nothing else, Rogue Legacy gets points for having probably the best setup for a roguelike possible. You hail from a long line of adventurers, delving into the ever-shifting halls of a forgotten castle, and when you die, you take on the role of one of your children, random class and quirks and all. The story fully utilizes this setup as well, which is really cool when (if) you reach the end and see how it all ties together. It would be a shame if that hook was wasted, but luckily the game is a pretty solid platformer and roguelike to boot.

Before each run, you get the option to upgrade your manor, buy new gear and enchantments, and lock down the castle. The first two should be obvious, allowing you to customize and upgrade your heroes through the unfortunate generations. The third lets you enter the same castle layout as your last hero did, at the cost of most of their gold. It's an interesting feature that's not common among roguelikes, adding a layer of strategy that gives you a better shot at finding specific upgrades or reaching bosses at the cost of your other treasures.

The actual platforming inside the procedurally-generated castle is probably the weakest part of the game, but by no means bad. The tradeoff for randomization seems to be very simple room layouts, mostly spruced up by liberal application of breakables and traps. There are special challenge rooms, miniboss rooms, and stranger secret rooms to find as well which help keep exploration fresh. However, the game can be pretty aggressive about murdering you with its elaborate traps and vicious enemies. Each of the four wings of the castle has a general difficulty level, but it can be hard to tell where exactly you fit at the moment, especially if the place has not been kind with upgrades. My first dozen generations passed without finding a new sword, for example.

There's a certain attitude to the game, as well. NPCs enjoy berating you for failing at nigh-impossible tasks, and challenge rooms will happily trick you into failing them with cheekily-placed monsters and spikes. It feels like a very mean game at times, especially if you're not doing well. But if you stick with it, learn to synergize your gear with your class, and grab all the treasure you can, it'll end up being one of the more rewarding games to complete.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

IronicDongz posted:

YOOOO THAT'S A LITTLE EXCESSIVE FOR A COMPLETELY RANDOM REST EVENT

I'm late but what game is this?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Zombie Samurai posted:

If you go all twelve days without playing Dungeonmans I'm going to cry and never stop crying.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

madjackmcmad posted:

If you go all twelve days without playing Dungeonmans I'm going to cry and never stop crying.

I'm betting on "twelve drumming Mans"

Or maybe "Twelve Dungeon Mans", it keeps the flow well.

Wait wait. Fiiiive dungeon Maaaans is perfect.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 14, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm late but what game is this?

The Ground Gives Way. It's a fast "coffee break roguelike" with a pretty unique rest mechanic.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ok I've finally admitted it to myself:

Nethack kinda sucks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Ground Gives Way. It's a fast "coffee break roguelike" with a pretty unique rest mechanic.
It's quite good too, albeit sometimes I feel a little too RNG-y at the moment(ex:those screenshots). But it's a work in progress.

It's actually brilliant how it deals with the food clock/rest+healing mechanics that many roguelikes have. Whenever enemies are not in LoS, you can rest, which heals you fully and restores your MP+status effects-but doing this consumes 1 'food' resource(which is how full your character is, can go up to 5 total). So your 'hunger clock' is not a kludgy turncount thing, it's a limited fullheal resource that doesn't require mashing a wait button. Other things are tied to it as well-when you rest, damaged enemies will also heal and nonlethally-downed enemies will get back up, and time based events like food rotting, merchants leaving, or you figuring out what un-ID'd items are can happen.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Nethack kinda sucks.
You're finally free.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tafferling posted:

Wait wait. Fiiiive dungeon Maaaans is perfect.

If the verse I have planned for day 5 doesn't trigger some hardcore PTSD in people, I will be very disappointed.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Zombie Samurai posted:

If the verse I have planned for day 5 doesn't trigger some hardcore PTSD in people, I will be very disappointed.

FIIIIIVE CHAOS OOOOOORBS

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The Ground Gives Way is fun but I feel like there are a lot of random, unforseeable deaths in the early game. You can open a door to find an out-of-depth imp and just die because it's faster than you and has a ranged attack. Actually I die a lot to faster-than-the-player monsters, but most of those (other than the imps) are because i'm playing greedily and exploring new territory without healing up first.

I just now died by reading an unidentified scroll of teleportation. It put me in a room separated from the rest of the level by water, and after trying all my un-IDed potions for water breathing I ended up trying to swim back across and drowning.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What was the tank roguelike called again? I want to blow up stuff.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
http://www.armouredcommander.com/

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was looking at my crawl highscores and somehow my best game on this pc was demonspawn chaos knight. I dont even remember that game but xom must have been very kind and i must have been pretty drunk.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Isaac posted:

I was looking at my crawl highscores and somehow my best game on this pc was demonspawn chaos knight. I dont even remember that game but xom must have been very kind and i must have been pretty drunk.

Xom will have your back if you have Xom's back.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Nethack kinda sucks.

Nethack, Angband, ADOM. The three venerable titans we all have to sadly admit are pretty bad games. But be nice to them anyway because they paved the way for so much.

It's crazy to think now niche roguelikes were even five years ago compared to now.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I think nethack is really good :(

How dare you :arghfist::(

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Highblood posted:

I think nethack is really good :(

How dare you :arghfist::(

Nethack is so good once you've studied it for a million hours. Ive been trying to get back into slashem lately and theres so much esoteric poo poo I cant remember its a real chore and I cant even get to soko (an even bigger chore)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Isaac posted:

Nethack is so good once you've studied it for a million hours. Ive been trying to get back into slashem lately and theres so much esoteric poo poo I cant remember its a real chore and I cant even get to soko (an even bigger chore)

The friction it takes to get back into the game keeps me from playing it. And I knew the game cold and ascended multiple characters, some back to back.

So yeah, Adhackband are p bad games nowadays.

Plus a lot of Nethack's humor and references are loving old. Like they were topical if you were a grognardy fantasy dnd playing nerd in the 80s, not so much today.

And I'm just a lazy roguelike player nowadays anyway, I'd rather play Dungeonmans or One Way Heroics or something instead of Crawl. I don't have the patience for 100% restarts, I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate repeating early game a million times.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I don't really get this, Nethack is by far the game I've had the most ease getting far in with little else than playing somewhat often. Every other roguelike kicks my rear end way more and I don't seem to get much better at any of them. Even with my face plastered over spoilers and such.

I get jealous when I see people do good in other roguelikes so I just yell at them "YEAH WELL I CAN ASCEND IN NETHACK gently caress YOU"

:negative:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Highblood posted:

I don't really get this, Nethack is by far the game I've had the most ease getting far in with little else than playing somewhat often. Every other roguelike kicks my rear end way more and I don't seem to get much better at any of them. Even with my face plastered over spoilers and such.

I get jealous when I see people do good in other roguelikes so I just yell at them "YEAH WELL I CAN ASCEND IN NETHACK gently caress YOU"

You are completely broken

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

alarumklok posted:

I keep doing that too, or hitting 's' and yelling at the nearby goblin "DONT JUST STAND THERE COME AT ME BRO".

It's solidified my need for tilesets though: ASCII kills my eyes after 20 minutes
TGGW has a tileset in the works--I seen a mockup which looked awesome, but there is no scheduled release date for it and it's apparently not a high priority for the dev right now.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Ground Gives Way is fun but I feel like there are a lot of random, unforseeable deaths in the early game. You can open a door to find an out-of-depth imp and just die because it's faster than you and has a ranged attack. Actually I die a lot to faster-than-the-player monsters, but most of those (other than the imps) are because i'm playing greedily and exploring new territory without healing up first.

I just now died by reading an unidentified scroll of teleportation. It put me in a room separated from the rest of the level by water, and after trying all my un-IDed potions for water breathing I ended up trying to swim back across and drowning.
The dev has stated this sometimes-you're-just-screwed design is by intent. While it goes against the usual roguelike ideal of having deaths be the player's fault rather than the RNG, after playing for a long while I got into it. (Part of his reasoning is that runs are short, anyway.)

And the next release is going to have some changes that should help increase survival rates, like detailed info on all monster stats, not just the core ones.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Highblood posted:

I find that Nethack has the same appeal as a Rubik's Cube: it's incredibly difficult to understand how it works at first, you can eventually find little tricks (or look them up) that help with you solving it, then you feel really cool when you do it for the first time. However, once you've done it once, going back to it feels very shallow, because the same tricks you learned to solve it the first time trivialize it afterwards (except I guess Nethack can still kill you due to bad luck). Also, people who get sick of trying to solve it savescum/peel off the stickers.

Once you've seen everything Nethack can throw at you, there's not much that can mix it up (unless you head over to variants like SLASHEM).

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
All true. Crawl feels fresh after all these years. The new gods and races are fun as hell and the gameplay just keeps on getting tighter.

Here's a fun one: Formicid earth elemental stabber. Yes, he will die eventually since he can't teleport ever, but sense monsters + dig + passwall + stealth are such an enjoyable combo that I've done a few of these characters just to slit various uniques' throats in their sleep. Extremely satisfying (until you're stuck in water and a hydra you're not prepared to deal with starts chewing on your face).

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
So, I just did this in Towerclimb (minor spoilers):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=575930842
That's 5 out of 7 legend fragments in my inventory

Sadly, I died in the arcade shortly after my winchshot was accidentally atomized.

Pretty amazing run. 3rd time I've beaten the brutal boiler, I think I'm definitely getting the hang of it now. Mostly inching along with the winchshot, but I had some cool spiderman moments in Club Z that I'm very interested in practicing some more.

Also the Z-ball game was really intense because I had accidentally thrown away my golden greaves on the previous level in a barrel mishap. I somehow managed to win 11-9 anyway, it took several minutes for the adrenaline to settle down after :D

I think I need to spend more time practicing the temple, zenith and final boss before trying again. Also I haven't even stepped foot in the Coliseum yet, mainly because I'm not too good at dealing with the overseers yet and often have to leave the temple in a hurry.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

SnowblindFatal posted:

All true. Crawl feels fresh after all these years. The new gods and races are fun as hell and the gameplay just keeps on getting tighter.

Here's a fun one: Formicid earth elemental stabber. Yes, he will die eventually since he can't teleport ever, but sense monsters + dig + passwall + stealth are such an enjoyable combo that I've done a few of these characters just to slit various uniques' throats in their sleep. Extremely satisfying (until you're stuck in water and a hydra you're not prepared to deal with starts chewing on your face).

Stabbers are very fun characters. One of my favorite characters was (many, many years ago) a spriggan enchanter who was built around stealth, enchantments, and (of course) stabbing. The "step, step, step, SLAM" gameplay of the stabbing mechanic was very fun, particularly one shotting uniques ( I recall oneshotting one of the hell bosses, which was great). I think he also worshipped the card god, which was generally fun and synergistic.

Anyhow that guy I recall couldn't do 15 runes but a subsequent spriggan enchanter several years later managed it with the help of TSO and a highly enchanted holy speed blade.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Whats a good crawl character for someone whos most exotic is hill orc fightman. Whats the best wizard for someone who hasnt done much thinking.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Thanks.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Honestly, I think ADOM is a good game, but it does have some lovely parts (also I still think the controls could be laid out better).

Though it does do one thing I wish TOME would do; basically let you choose a starting dungeon, lock you out of the other, get the same exp regardless. TOME would be a lot better if you didn't need to do all of the starting dungeons + 4 big boy dungeons to get going and instead just got all the exp you would normally from the first pair for your race.

That initial part of the game ends up burning me out and killing me before dreadfell most of the time.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Isaac posted:

Whats a good crawl character for someone whos most exotic is hill orc fightman. Whats the best wizard for someone who hasnt done much thinking.

I got my start on casters with deep elves, which seems like throwing into the deep end - as a deep elf caster, you'll have basically nothing but magic to survive on. However, deep elves are so goddamn good at magic that they can get away with it, and it gets you used to thinking in spellcaster terms quickly and familiarizes you with how to use your spells. The downside is that every other race will feel incredibly slow to learn magic. :v:

A less extreme way to get into it is hill orc fire elementalist - the general beefiness of hill orcs helps you survive the early game, and fire magic is both effective and relatively straightforward to use.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'd play a draconian conjuror of veh.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Isaac posted:

Merfolk Skald or Transmuter let you move towards it slowly; both of them want to cast spells relevant to the situation, then mostly keep on fighting like you're familiar with.

Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned is Tengu Conjurer. This is not the easiest to win with, but it's easy to run for a good while after you hit level 5. You can get a bonus to movement and evasion by flying (a->f) at that point, and tengu have a spectacular conjuration aptitude, so you can just poo poo fulminant prisms at everything while flying the other way and basically cheese your way through Lair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mummy Summoner
:unsmigghh: