Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is, but some of the filler was fun even though it was stupid. That being said I remember the two saiyans that the human Z-Warriors fought and don't know why that was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm looking forward to reading the Dragonball manga when I've finished my current backlog of books, experiencing the epic story of Goku and his friends without the glacial pacing and painful filler of the anime sounds like a real blast!

What you gain in saved time you lose in characterization, at least with what I read up to partway through the Saiyan Saga before deciding to take a break.

Like the manga is still good but I don't really like how everything just flies by, personally, at least compared to the DB anime and Kai.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Raxivace posted:

What you gain in saved time you lose in characterization, at least with what I read up to partway through the Saiyan Saga before deciding to take a break.

Like the manga is still good but I don't really like how everything just flies by, personally, at least compared to the DB anime and Kai.

Whenever I read stuff like this it sounds like people discussing which version is the most holy translation of the Christian Bible.

"NO YOU CAN'T INCLUDE EPISODE OF BARDOCK IN THE CANON THAT'S APOCRYPHA"

It makes me happy mankind has finally created another work worthy of such scrutiny. :3:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the anime has more pilaf I guess

that's a plus

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think we can all agree regardless of the problems with the cell games arc at least it's not the buu saga.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I think we can all agree regardless of the problems with the cell games arc at least it's not the buu saga.

yeah not many things can reach those heights

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Also I wanna be clear that I am being completely authentic in saying this. The bible is dumb and Dragon Ball is a way better choice for "mankind's best work ever".

It thrills me to no end that just off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 different unique interpretations JUST OF THE ANIME, JUST IN ENGLISH (Ocean, Funimation, TFS, Big Green, Kai).

I think the Dragon Ball mythology may have been reinterpreted more times than Journey to the West at this point.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the diseased mind of a person that doesn't think the buu saga is the absolute peak of z is not something I want to explore

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Also I wanna be clear that I am being completely authentic in saying this. The bible is dumb and Dragon Ball is a way better choice for "mankind's best work ever".

It thrills me to no end that just off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 different unique interpretations JUST OF THE ANIME, JUST IN ENGLISH (Ocean, Funimation, TFS, Big Green, Kai).

I think the Dragon Ball mythology may have been reinterpreted more times than Journey to the West at this point.

keep on keeping on, xboxpants

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

XboxPants posted:

I'd say even DBZ and Kai are fairly different, if only because of how Kai reframes the entire Raditz to Cell narrative as a kind of genealogical conflict, by beginning the series with Bardock being killed by Frieza. It even makes Raditz somewhat sympathetic, since in Kai it's very blatant that what he's telling Goku is not at all what we saw in the first episode's opening and that he's been mislead somehow. Buu Kai more or less being its own show kind of makes sense with this setup too.

Still not sure if you're pulling my chain or not with the weird Bible comparison, but yes it is legitimately fascinating that there's a million different versions of the Dragon Ball story, each with their own nuances. That's probably why I'm personally okay with even the Battle of Gods arc of DBSuper, since it has its own weird little differences.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I'd say even DBZ and Kai are fairly different, if only because of how Kai reframes the entire Raditz to Cell narrative as a kind of genealogical conflict, by beginning the series with Bardock being killed by Frieza. It even makes Raditz somewhat sympathetic, since in Kai it's very blatant that what he's telling Goku is not at all what we saw in the first episode's opening and that he's been mislead somehow. Buu Kai more or less being its own show kind of makes sense with this setup too.

Still not sure if you're pulling my chain or not with the weird Bible comparison, but yes it is legitimately fascinating that there's a million different versions of the Dragon Ball story, each with their own nuances.

Alright, maybe a little bit. It's just what comes to mind readily as an easily example of something else with a million different versions and translations and re-interpretations and inspired works and extra bits and pieces that are or are not considered genuine by different groups of people. Like, ya got your King James Dragonball, ya got yer Book of Latter Day Dragon Ball Multiverse, ya got yer Dead Sea Daizenshuu, and everything in between. It's a fun comparison for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

XboxPants posted:

Alright, maybe a little bit. It's just what comes to mind readily as an easily example of something else with a million different versions and translations and re-interpretations and inspired works and extra bits and pieces that are or are not considered genuine by different groups of people. Like, ya got your King James Dragonball, ya got yer Book of Latter Day Dragon Ball Multiverse, ya got yer Dead Sea Daizenshuu, and everything in between. It's a fun comparison for me.

I hear ya. I probably would have gone with there being a million versions of the Cabaret story myself, but I suppose there's very little crossover with DBZ fans over that lmao. I suppose the Bible is more universally familiar.

It is kind of neat too how all of the various "sequels" to DBZ seem to be in response to each other too. Like Multiverse takes potshots at GT, Battle of Gods also pokes fun at GT while being a sequel to Yo Son Goku, but the DBSuper anime version of Battle of Gods (And the DBSuper manga too, come to think of it) isn't written as a Yo Son Goku sequel or whatever etc. And then of course some people reject the idea of sequels at all.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 15, 2015

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Hey have any of you seen DBZA for Canadians? Taka mentioned it in the latest podcast and it is pretty darn funny.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cerony posted:

Hey have any of you seen DBZA for Canadians? Taka mentioned it in the latest podcast and it is pretty darn funny.

i have to wonder what they think about dbza in japan

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Cerony posted:

What I got from this is that Candians drink all day, love hockey, and can't get enough Tim Hortons. So, not far from what I already knew.

Didn't know saying "bro" all the time was a Canadian stereotype.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
say hello to the dragon ball super multiversal tournament teams

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who is the red dude

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Man I can't wait to see evil Winnie the Pooh from Champaverse. I hope his gimmick is honey based.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Uh... is Vados' head supposed to look like that?

Edit: Also didn't we just finish the Frieza arc? Why do we need more Friezas

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hello, Robo from Chrono Trigger. It's nice to meet you again.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Baal posted:

Who is the red dude

Beerus' addition to the team

allegedly stronger than Goku

according to the korean chapter translation floating around, he has real puffy nipples

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

the squad

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I like Fake Meta-Cooler's longcoat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Featherweight Frieza, Smug Catbear, Piccolo, Child Sociopath Gohan and Zen Death Robot make quite a team huh?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Baal posted:

Who is the red dude

He's actually pink, and his name is Buu

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
here's the korean chapter

https://dragonballsuper-france.fr/dragon-ball-super-chapitre-7/

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I see someone's been playing Xenoverse. I'm pretty sure I can make that Freeza Clan in it, and the Saiyan shouldn't be too hard considering he has Gohan's hair.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for Majin Buu vs. Champa Pooh

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That little guy on Team Universe 7 looks hilarious, and it goes right along with the Toriyama "the goofiest looking assholes are the most powerful" thing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I hope that robot is actually Robo, just for the implication that Chrono Trigger is officially in the same multi-verse as Dragonball.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

I hope that robot is actually Robo, just for the implication that Chrono Trigger is officially in the same multi-verse as Dragonball.

In Universe 7 Lavos was sent to Earth instead of Goku.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ruggington posted:

the diseased mind of a person that doesn't think the buu saga is the absolute peak of z is not something I want to explore

Frieza saga was best

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Neo_Crimson posted:

it doesn't remotely look like robo other than like a head shape thing and having a steam vent somewhere on it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MY NAME IS GATO
IM GONNA BRING THE PAIN
YOU THINK YOU CAN BEAT ME
YOU SURELY MUST BE INSANE

I was completely expecting the strongest that Beerus fought to be completely unassuming and weird looking.
It's just the Toriyama way when he's left to do his thing.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 15, 2015

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Blockhouse posted:

This is going to rule so loving much yessss

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Interesting about Beerus member 5.

Winnie the Pooh, Robo from Chrono Trigger are neat too.

Not mad for the remaining team Champa fellows.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I love how some little red guy no one's ever heard of gets priority over every single one of the human Z-Fighters. It's pretty nice Piccolo is actually getting decent billing again though, the power curve has been cruel to him in the past ...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I bet that Frost Demon has his own gold mode, that he mastered.

And that he's also a really nice guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I look forward to seeing how Winnie the Buu fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Heh if that lineup is gonna be the way it is I can't wait to see Buu v.s. Winnie the Buu

(yes Imp, I'm using your joke. :v:)

So basically Goku v.s Purple Cooler
Vegeta v.s. a hybird version of himself/gohan only shorter
Piccolo v.s Lord Chill Blue
Red Imp v.s. Robo

Sounds about right.

• Locked thread