Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hulk Smash! posted:

Also "live" the Rackghoul event on Tatooine.

Except that when you get to the spike there's a message that says the plague has been contained and you automatically get ported back to the fleet after 10 seconds.

Job well done! We finally beat the rackghoul plague!

Temporary, of course.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, T.H.O.R.N is the worst. Rewarding people for spreading the plague? Sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Temporary, of course.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, T.H.O.R.N is the worst. Rewarding people for spreading the plague? Sheesh.

Follow the money.

Also, done for life day this year. Has most of what I wanted from previous years. Got 20 parcels in about 20 minutes on fleet and got the life day reveler decoration.

Now I have a loud drunk in my DK cantina room.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Follow the money.

Also, done for life day this year. Has most of what I wanted from previous years. Got 20 parcels in about 20 minutes on fleet and got the life day reveler decoration.

Now I have a loud drunk in my DK cantina room.

Didn't they add a bunch of stuff to the Life Day vendor?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Temporary, of course.

The guy in charge of Thorn acts like a philanthropist if you're on the Republic side, but if you're on the Imperial side, he's a cock. Something is up. :tinfoil:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Didn't they add a bunch of stuff to the Life Day vendor?

Yeah, what were prior to that cartel market items are now available on there. Like the wampa rug (40 parcels) and the snow blower (10 parcels). I already had those since I got the life day pack last year.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

Why why why is Terror From Beyond so hard for some people. On story mode. "Go left" "Kill the red dots" It's seriously the most aggravating operation because it's either a 45 minute easy run or a 2 hour mission of futility.

I always just kinda zoned out on the last boss pre-KotFE so maybe that's why?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Hulk Smash! posted:

Job well done! We finally beat the rackghoul plague!

Now that prominent anti-vaxxer Darth Marr is finally out of the picture we can finally make some progress eradicating this poo poo.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

The Life Day event is Live - there are still a ton of snow covered parcels in the guild bank, but please don't be a knob goblin and take all of them.

Although I think you can't just pick them up for the title, you have to go keep throwing snowballs until you get 100. :suicide:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

Although I think you can't just pick them up for the title, you have to go keep throwing snowballs until you get 100. :suicide:

Correct, you have to actually discover 100 parcels for the title/achievement.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If I was gonna drop a few million credits on a hypercrate, would it be better to grab the newest one or an older one if I was looking to make a decent return?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

If I was gonna drop a few million credits on a hypercrate, would it be better to grab the newest one or an older one if I was looking to make a decent return?

Older ones if you can, but I wouldn't pay more than 6 million for a Hypercrate you're looking to resell for profit.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Older ones if you can, but I wouldn't pay more than 6 million for a Hypercrate you're looking to resell for profit.

Alright, thanks. Another question, do all the houses have the same number of hooks or are some bigger than others? Are the Tatooine and Nar Shaddaa ones worth the price or are they just reskinned versions of the Dromund/Coruscant ones?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They all have different layouts, and the size and hooks differs.

Nar Shadaa is also a large multi-story apartment type of thing, but Tatooine is gigantic and is more like an estate with multiple separate buildings on a large plot. Yavin 4 too, and it's absurdly large.

Coruscant/DK < Nar Shadaa < Tatooine < Yavin 4

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Nar Shadaa is also a large multi-story apartment type of thing, but Tatooine is gigantic and is more like an estate with multiple separate buildings on a large plot. Yavin 4 too, and it's absurdly large.

Coruscant/DK < Nar Shadaa < Tatooine < Yavin 4

And you can only have 4 houses per server, I heard somewhere?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

And you can only have 4 houses per server, I heard somewhere?

Correct. If you're in TNG I can give you a key to check out any of the Imperial strongholds. I have all 4 unlocked, but haven't done much decorating other than Tatooine

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Verranicus posted:

The newest one is better than the one before, but I dunno I didn't get 6 mil value out of mine for sure.

None of the non-gold armor sets are selling, people can't help but undercut the weapons to like 30k and the only thing I sold out of the crate I bought that was worth much at all was the Gundark mount which I sold for 3 mil. I sold a few decorations so far at 300k each, so i guess eventually i might get 6 mil out of mine, but ehhhhh.

I guess that would change if you got a Nexu out of it, so that's your gamble I suppose?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Alright, thanks guys. One more question, and then I'll be done for a while. I just finished leveling my BH to 60 and am taking a break, currently working on a Sorc. Will I ever get the super fast AoE clear my BH had or will I actually have to pay more attention to fights now?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Alright, thanks guys. One more question, and then I'll be done for a while. I just finished leveling my BH to 60 and am taking a break, currently working on a Sorc. Will I ever get the super fast AoE clear my BH had or will I actually have to pay more attention to fights now?

Lightning Sorc makes BH AOE look single target.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Lightning Sorc makes BH AOE look single target.

Really? All I have right now is force storm and it seems to do less damage/hit fewer times than my blaster aoe on my BH.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of the specs' first passive that you gain at 12 or so makes several of your abilities proc a free nuke.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Minor addendum: Coruscant and Dromund Kaas have near-identical layouts, just different skins.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
DK has better weather.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Someone tell me which of these goddamn encryptions we need because I can never remember and usually end up picking one at random.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Crindee posted:

Someone tell me which of these goddamn encryptions we need because I can never remember and usually end up picking one at random.

Command.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Verranicus posted:

Really? All I have right now is force storm and it seems to do less damage/hit fewer times than my blaster aoe on my BH.

A 65 Sorc will deal unreasonable amounts of AoE Damage in such a short amount of time that, once you get the hang of what procs what, it is unreal when compared to other classes. Force Storm proc to Chain Lightning pretty much clears the thrash instantly and you mop up the rest with instacast nukes or keep stormin'.

Madness is a bit more hurf-durf but seems to deal more damage to FP / HM / OP enemies. Normal mobs just die like flies halfway through your dots.

My nerdness prevents me from leaving my Jedi Knight but drat. I wish Consular got the option to use lightning as well (this was KotoR era dammit, just let me use DS or LS powers both) but uggh you get pebbles and hadouken instead of purple lightning of death.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Galewolf posted:

My nerdness prevents me from leaving my Jedi Knight but drat. I wish Consular got the option to use lightning as well (this was KotoR era dammit, just let me use DS or LS powers both) but uggh you get pebbles and hadouken instead of purple lightning of death.

See, Shadow/Sage are the only republic classes I prefer over the empire mirror for some reason. Especially Shadow tanks, ripping loving rocks out of the ground and protecting yourself with them is pretty rad

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how long do you guys see them keeping this game going? With all the mishaps lately and the absolute lack of communication about them, it's a bit scary.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Verranicus posted:

So how long do you guys see them keeping this game going? With all the mishaps lately and the absolute lack of communication about them, it's a bit scary.

They are making money hand overfist so probably a long while.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Don't believe the end of days posts on Reddit. Subs went up 40% with KOTFE, and even though a lot of jaded veterans are leaving, there are a TON of new people starting the game for the first time.

It's not doing so hot as an MMO but it's doing gangbusters as a single player game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Don't believe the end of days posts on Reddit. Subs went up 40% with KOTFE, and even though a lot of jaded veterans are leaving, there are a TON of new people starting the game for the first time.

It's not doing so hot as an MMO but it's doing gangbusters as a single player game.

I'm inclined to believe you guys because you've stuck with the game as long as you have. =P I bought it at launch and have played on and off during F2P, but I have really big decline in their community management. I'm actually awestruck that they haven't said anything regarding people who lost cartel coins/real money purchases/currency in the recent rollbacks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Verranicus posted:

...You mean 2 server reboots?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I'd rather they just reboot them. I've been having so many lag spike issues, and after the first reboot, they just vanished. Not one spike since.

And now for some reason I picture some nameless Bioware programmer bent over a PC like Boris from "Goldeneye" with the words "SEND SPIKE? Y/N" on the screen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

I'm inclined to believe you guys because you've stuck with the game as long as you have. =P I bought it at launch and have played on and off during F2P, but I have really big decline in their community management. I'm actually awestruck that they haven't said anything regarding people who lost cartel coins/real money purchases/currency in the recent rollbacks.

I doubt that is as widespread as the official forums and Reddit indicate. And if it is, it's going to require a significant amount of time to research every claim / ticket that comes in. I saw a post on Reddit where a guy claimed he lost 27 Dark Matter Catalysts during a reboot... I HIGHLY doubt that claim.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

More the rollbacks that accompanied them.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

probably more means the lack of new endgame pve content (operations and flashpoints, not star forts) combined with the ~6 weeks of a loving brutal exploit that they haven't really done a good job at communicating much of anything about either before it was fixed or after except to say they're just gonna banhammer some folks. Lots of people seem pissed about how long it took to enact a fix, and therefore felt justified in exploiting it in some way and now are butthurt that they got punished for it.

There was a big effortpost on reddit but I can't find it, that generally summarizes a lot of the jaded turd viewpoint about the game. It's probably a very tiny slice, but it might also be a very big slice in terms spenders that's currently disappointed with how the game's going. It ain't just the server reboots, in other words.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing a fair bit recently and never heard about the exploit until it was fixed. It seems like someone who used it would have to have the special combination of actively trawling for MMO information to know about it and also being naive enough to think they could get away with something incredibly easy to track server side.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Telex posted:

probably more means the lack of new endgame pve content (operations and flashpoints, not star forts) combined with the ~6 weeks of a loving brutal exploit that they haven't really done a good job at communicating much of anything about either before it was fixed or after except to say they're just gonna banhammer some folks. Lots of people seem pissed about how long it took to enact a fix, and therefore felt justified in exploiting it in some way and now are butthurt that they got punished for it.

There was a big effortpost on reddit but I can't find it, that generally summarizes a lot of the jaded turd viewpoint about the game. It's probably a very tiny slice, but it might also be a very big slice in terms spenders that's currently disappointed with how the game's going. It ain't just the server reboots, in other words.

Few things here -

The exploit was around, but from what I understand was not widely reported. Once a few of the data miners found out how to do it they reported it and it was patched within 3 days.

And as far as lack of PvE endgame content goes, well, the truth is that the overwhelming majority of players of this game don't care. As I've said before, look at our own guild as a sample size. Most of the people that play only play their class stories with zero interest in endgame. When they get to 65 they start a new toon to see another story, or even the same story from a different perspective. I'd wager more players do this than burn through to 65 and start gearing for raids.

Sadly, those of us interested in raiding and challenging content are a very small minority, both in our guild and in the game.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Telex posted:

Traditional MMO guys are hating the direction SWTOR is going because it's antithetical to how MMOs have been structured since EQ. They'll quit and go find a more classic MMO to play.

But the very fact that SWTOR is evolving in this direction suggests that it's going towards the money, not away from it. Making Rise of Revan episodic and solo-accessible was a test, and the test confirmed that more people will pay for this than the classic "quest, dungeon and raid" MMO stuff.

A new, successful movie in the franchise isn't exactly going to hurt subscriptions either.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Has there been any development in terms of a Mac client? Or is it still a firm "No"? I used to play this game upon launch, and would like to return, but I am not on a PC anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

shadok posted:

Traditional MMO guys are hating the direction SWTOR is going because it's antithetical to how MMOs have been structured since EQ. They'll quit and go find a more classic MMO to play.

But the very fact that SWTOR is evolving in this direction suggests that it's going towards the money, not away from it. Making Rise of Revan episodic and solo-accessible was a test, and the test confirmed that more people will pay for this than the classic "quest, dungeon and raid" MMO stuff.

A new, successful movie in the franchise isn't exactly going to hurt subscriptions either.

I think that's perhaps misleading. It's not that the classic quest, dungeon, raid MMO paradigm isn't where the money's at per se, it's that Bioware simply lacks the skills/resources to pursue that particular paradigm effectively. SWTOR is not a very good foundation for that kind of game, compared to its peers.

• Locked thread