Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Annath posted:

Are they ever planning on adding paint jobs for the Courier? Last I checked there were literally zero.

In a few hours there will be a black one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mitchicon posted:

What time is Horizons supposed to drop?
They are aiming for a 1600GMT release according to here: https://twitter.com/Frontier_Help/status/676678249724796928

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I had the Horizons beta installed and now it's gone from the launcher and the servers are "upgrading". Since the betas were seperate entries for 32 and 64 bit, does this mean I'm downloading the entire game over again once it launches? Also, will the beta have been removed automaticall or is it still taking up space on my SSD somewhere?

Edit: didn't see the new page, according to that twitter feed the beta will update into the game :v:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So is 64-bit a horizons only thing?

Also :lol: at missions still running out during maintenance. That's genius.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Naturally Selected posted:

So is 64-bit a horizons only thing?

Yeah, Horizons requires 64-bit. Those without the expansion can still use a 32-bit OS if they really hate thems extra bits.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

They're actually removing everyone's missions as the entire mission structure is changing.

Also, yeah, it's always used the beta client and streamed in any last minute updates when a major update goes live, it's pretty nifty.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Welmu posted:

Yeah, Horizons requires 64-bit. Those without the expansion can still use a 32-bit OS if they really hate thems extra bits.

Kind of the opposite of why I asked. Will non-horizons players finally have access to such a premium never before seen feature as a 64-bit executable in tyool 2015?

What the gently caress kind of greybeard still runs a 32-bit os? And why is a ~nexgen whatever whatever~ game developed for 32 bit in the first place? Although it might explain why the UI takes 30 seconds to load a mission list. Maybe in 2017 we'll get something that wasn't developed using fortran

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The UI being slow as hell in general is likely due to it being all coming from over the network, right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What the gently caress kind of greybeard still runs a 32-bit os? And why is a ~nexgen whatever whatever~ game developed for 32 bit in the first place? Although it might explain why the UI takes 30 seconds to load a mission list. Maybe in 2017 we'll get something that wasn't developed using fortran

It's a remake of a series first seen in 1984 and last seen not long afterwards. No poo poo a big chunk of the audience is still running XP SP2 or whatever ("SP3 just RUINED it, as an 04er I" *strangled*)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Betas are kept on your HD yes, you need to go into the directory and manually delete them.

Maybe the extra bits will allow them the possibility of automatically deleting them?

Unfortunately there was no fallout from the decision to go 64 bit. Was hoping for a wee bit of drama. Maybe some will come later when some people realise they're still running a 32 bit OS and find out you can't just upgrade to a 64 bit version.

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 15, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Amethyst posted:

The UI being slow as hell in general is likely due to it being all coming from over the network, right?

Unless it is literally polling a huge swath of servers/players to spit out "donate us x credits" as a possible mission, no, not it shouldn't be. Same with mission turn-ins. And if it was that fuckoff slow it shouldve been changed in design. The problem is that at least parts of it are done for effect: the goddamn loading screen when you just pull up the station menu, for example, is always the same and actually takes longer than loading the game from the main menu does. And after spending a bunch of time, most of it waiting for the menus to load, trying to roll up missions, it's just glaringly loving obvious.

Put another way, most people can send an authentication key, establish a secure connection, and load, decode, and display 5-10 seconds of HD video in the same time it takes e:d to display the list of available missions after clicking bulletin board.

I've probably been noticing it a lot more because of rob-related grinding, but honestly, every part of the UI related to missions seems to have been developed with an almost psychopathic hatred of the player.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

It's a remake of a series first seen in 1984 and last seen not long afterwards. No poo poo a big chunk of the audience is still running XP SP2 or whatever ("SP3 just RUINED it, as an 04er I" *strangled*)

To be fair, at least some of them could be in a situation like my sister, who has no money for a new computer and is forced to use a lovely, almost 15 year old notebook instead. That thing can only run XP. And it can run XP because I found some old RAM-chips to upgrade it. :shepface:

Luckily my sister has no interest in space games, so she doesn't miss much. :v:

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Patch notes are up.

edit: Some good stuff in the Braben AMA on Reddit.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 15, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, all nice and cool, but where are them Thargoids?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Added 'terrorist' NPC archetype - This could go bad

Also, wtf is a greebal?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Welmu posted:

Patch notes are up.

edit: Some good stuff in the Braben AMA on Reddit.

They say they fixed the D3D buffer crash! I can turn my shadows back up to Ultra again :woop:

So, here's my understanding of how to do Horizons if you're a Steam user, based on ManicJason from the IRC channel, and one of Frontier's support threads:

Basically, Steam is going to update the launcher today sometime, which should bring it to parity with the version from Frontier for Horizons, but you won't be able to launch Horizons from within steam.
However, if you run the launcher as a non-steam app, it will give you the ability to install and play Horizons from your Frontier account. After doing this, you may want to suspend steam updates for Elite, because the files may not match its hashes any more. Just restore them after :frontear: provides steam keys, and continue running the launcher as a non-steam app in the meantime. Make a desktop shortcut to the executable, or something. I guess steam does some kind of voodoo that prevents the launcher from patching or launching non-approved content.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Also, wtf is a greebel?

The stuff the tack onto borg cubes & models in general to make it seems more space-y

Welmu fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 15, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Unless it is literally polling a huge swath of servers/players to spit out "donate us x credits" as a possible mission, no, not it shouldn't be. Same with mission turn-ins. And if it was that fuckoff slow it shouldve been changed in design. The problem is that at least parts of it are done for effect: the goddamn loading screen when you just pull up the station menu, for example, is always the same and actually takes longer than loading the game from the main menu does. And after spending a bunch of time, most of it waiting for the menus to load, trying to roll up missions, it's just glaringly loving obvious.

Put another way, most people can send an authentication key, establish a secure connection, and load, decode, and display 5-10 seconds of HD video in the same time it takes e:d to display the list of available missions after clicking bulletin board.

I've probably been noticing it a lot more because of rob-related grinding, but honestly, every part of the UI related to missions seems to have been developed with an almost psychopathic hatred of the player.

Wow, that's extremely annoying and stupid.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
All this update and I'm most excited about iFights in CQC

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Kind of the opposite of why I asked. Will non-horizons players finally have access to such a premium never before seen feature as a 64-bit executable in tyool 2015?

You might be surprised how many modern games still run as 32 bit

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Welmu posted:

The stuff the tack onto borg cubes & models in general to make it seems more space-y

Greeble.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Or Kibble.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
64 bit also locks out macs as a platform, so the small percentage of Mac users who play Elite would be poo poo out of luck if the base game upgraded to 64. And the rest of us on PCs would see virtually no discernable difference.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Angrymog posted:

Or Kibble.

Nurnies if you work at ILM if i remember right, but i never liked that term

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Welp, just bought that new synth paint pack for my Asp, the letters n' poo poo dash decorations and the xmas tree bobblehead. It's gonna be a good Christmas! :haw:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm waiting for a ghost bobblehead for Halloween.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Already getting an offer to install the new launcher from a browser when I launch through steam.

So do we have to manually update this thing and bypass steam for MAXIMUM REALISM or are they actually gonna push the update through the massive, convenient CDN that steam has?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Han glued first.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Already getting an offer to install the new launcher from a browser when I launch through steam.

So do we have to manually update this thing and bypass steam for MAXIMUM REALISM or are they actually gonna push the update through the massive, convenient CDN that steam has?

Basically, Steam doesn't have Horizons yet, and won't for an unspecified time period. Supposedly you can run the new launcher, in your steam install folder, outside of Steam, and doing this will let you install Horizons anyway. You'll just have to run it outside of steam for what I would imagine is a week or so until you can get Frontier to generate a Steam Key for you.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Didn't shell out $60 for that mess. Just wondering about update 1.5. Or is that also part of horizons now?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Didn't shell out $60 for that mess. Just wondering about update 1.5. Or is that also part of horizons now?
You'll still be able to play the base game through Steam.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Skimmed that AMA and I think I missed the point of the whole thing. Could have just as easily posted "everything is on the list, our community website is the only way you can find people to play with" and saved everyone a bunch of time.

Also,

Pilchenstein posted:

You'll still be able to play the base game through Steam.

I gotta stop playing this game, evidently it destroys reading comprehension.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I gotta stop playing this game
You definitely should. After reading all your posts in this thread, it's obviously making you very unhappy. :mmmhmm:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tooterfish posted:

You definitely should. After reading all your posts in this thread, it's obviously making you very unhappy. :mmmhmm:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mike the TV posted:

64 bit also locks out macs as a platform, so the small percentage of Mac users who play Elite would be poo poo out of luck if the base game upgraded to 64. And the rest of us on PCs would see virtually no discernable difference.

What?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There hasn't been a Mac made since 2008, dontchaknow?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Even tho I laugh at people playing on OSX as opposed to just being normal and dual booting. I'm pretty sure since Mavericks it's been 64bit only no?

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
The reason Macs don't get Horizons is that OpenGL doesn't support compute shaders.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DarthBlingBling posted:

Even tho I laugh at people playing on OSX as opposed to just being normal and dual booting. I'm pretty sure since Mavericks it's been 64bit only no?

Yeah OSX's been running in 64-bit since they started using processors that support it around '08-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I gotta stop playing this game, evidently it destroys reading comprehension.

Don't vape angry :ohdear:

• Locked thread