Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

computer parts posted:

It's a trilogy, so maybe only the first movie.

At one point the studio was saying that it would be "at least a trilogy" so there could be even more!

So we're pretty much set to get one Harry Potter film, one Star Wars film and several MCU + DC films every year from next year onward, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's not like this is a new thing, look at the 80s and you'll see a couple of franchises that were putting out around a movie a year. Police Academy was a movie a year for 6 years, while Friday the 13th did something similar where they put out 9 movies in 13 years.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Universal Orlando is going to need to expand the park section between Jurassic Park and Hogwarts/Hogsmeade to cash in on the Jurassic World and HP:FBAWTFT money train.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Come to think of it, I wonder what's the longest gap between any teaser/trailer and the actual movie. The original LOTR teaser had dates for all 3, right?

Dunno what the longest deliberate gap was but some films get held back for a crazy long time. Here's a trailer for All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, a 2006 film which didn't get a theatrical release in the US until 2013 after the Weinsteins sold the distribution rights to a company called Senator Entertainment who then went bankrupt and the film was left in limbo for seven years until the Weinsteins bought it back. And after all those years and years of waiting it apparently turned out that the film wasn't so great anyway. :v:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Batman v Superman has roughly a year between teaser and movie (release date got moved a bit).

There was a poster for Batman vs Superman in the background of I Am Legend (2007). I think it had a 2012 date on it though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this? posted:

It's not like this is a new thing, look at the 80s and you'll see a couple of franchises that were putting out around a movie a year. Police Academy was a movie a year for 6 years, while Friday the 13th did something similar where they put out 9 movies in 13 years.

There were also five Nightmare On Elm Street movies in six years and the first ten Star Trek films were released roughly every two years. But did they produce all those films one by one or did they announce a block of sequels all at once like the upcoming MCU/DC/Star Wars films? Please tell me there's footage of the Warners Bros bigwigs holding a press conference announcing the titles and release dates of the next five Police Academy films to rapturous applause. :v:

(I know that the two Back To The Future sequels were filmed together and I seem to recall that they were announced at the same time.)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

This is true, but it's still fun to see visualized:

(It's a little out of date.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

morestuff posted:

Edit: gently caress, I just noticed that they had a 2016 Sandman film listed and it looks like that might be accurate. Has there been any news on who the screenwriter might be?

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 15, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

it's weird that the nut job and puss in boots get sequels. Are they that popular?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Well, at least there's a new Matt Damon/Paul Greengrass Bourne movie for me to look forward to. Everything else, though... I can't summon up any enthusiasm whatever. Seriously, nine loving superhero movies next year?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Payndz posted:

Well, at least there's a new Matt Damon/Paul Greengrass Bourne movie for me to look forward to. Everything else, though... I can't summon up any enthusiasm whatever. Seriously, nine loving superhero movies next year?

Sinister Six at least got axed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

HP is huge and this will get the hype train rolling nicely. Episode 7'a first teaser was thanksgiving last year so year+ teasers are nothing new.

Come to think of it, I wonder what's the longest gap between any teaser/trailer and the actual movie. The original LOTR teaser had dates for all 3, right?

Last Starfighter was almost two and a half years between trailer and release.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like that list.

I like superhero movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Saddest Rhino posted:

it's weird that the nut job and puss in boots get sequels. Are they that popular?

The Nut Job didn't do well and got lovely reviews and it's weird that it's getting a sequel.

Puss In Boots is part of the Shrek franchise and it earned over half a billion worldwide but didn't perform so well domestically (well, not so well considering its $120m production budget) and at one point they were considering having Shrek make an appearance in the sequel to booster demo appeal but the movie was cycled back into 'development' after the corporate restructuring at DreamWorks Animation. It did get an animated TV series on Netflix recently.
The first cracks with the Puss In Boots sequel appeared after they announced November 2 2018 release date but then Marvel and DC both announced they were releasing films around that time so Dreamworks got cold feet and started shuffling the film around.

Edit: The Nut Job 2 was reported to have a Jan 15 2016 release as recently as August but they haven't released a trailer and the Box Office Mojo listing has changed the release date to 'TBD'.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 15, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

victorious posted:

There was a poster for Batman vs Superman in the background of I Am Legend (2007). I think it had a 2012 date on it though.

That's not quite the same because it was for a different Batman vs Superman movie that never got out of pre-production and was scrapped.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Movies only need to be popular enough to be profitable, then the sequel gets green lit with half to one quarter the budget and away we go.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

morestuff posted:

Sinister Six at least got axed.

Looks like Gambit is getting pushed back as well
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/x-men-spinoff-movie-gambit-release-date-delayed/1100-6432354/
http://www.christianpost.com/news/gambit-movie-news-cast-spoilers-production-wont-start-until-next-spring-150316/

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

HP is huge and this will get the hype train rolling nicely. Episode 7'a first teaser was thanksgiving last year so year+ teasers are nothing new.

I guess that'd count. Other than that, the furthest-in-advance examples I can think of are The Incredibles (teaser in front of Finding Nemo in summer 2003; movie released November 2004) and The Peanuts Movie (which got also got a teaser a good 18 or 19 months in advance).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

morestuff posted:

I hope they keep the title to "Female Superhero Spiderman Spinoff".

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Star Trek 09 was shallow as hell but man it was fun. Into Darkness is a huge piece of poo poo.

These are the only two Star Trek movies I've seen and I liked them both. Are fans frustrated because they wanted pure sci-fi more than well done summer flicks?

Because its hard to make either of those.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

commy gun posted:

These are the only two Star Trek movies I've seen and I liked them both. Are fans frustrated because they wanted pure sci-fi more than well done summer flicks?

It's harder to justify that is what Star Trek "is" to begin with.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

commy gun posted:

These are the only two Star Trek movies I've seen and I liked them both. Are fans frustrated because they wanted pure sci-fi more than well done summer flicks.

I'm a Star Trek fan and I don't watch the movies. Trek nerds bitching about the movies is like Star Wars nerds bitching about the Christmas Special, it's all just stupid cash-ins to get that lucrative "has never heard of star trek" crowd that I'm sure exists.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

That's not quite the same because it was for a different Batman vs Superman movie that never got out of pre-production and was scrapped.

It was for superman returns, and you can tell people really liked superman returns.

I still hope he returns as an old man shaking his cane at the aliens. Fresh prince old man. His best work.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 15, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

It was for superman returns, and you can tell people really liked superman returns.

No, it was a reference to the movie Wolfgang Petersen tried to make in the mid 00s. It and I Am Legend were written by Akiva Goldsman, who meant the reference as a joke.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hulk (2003) had a teaser before Spider-Man (2002)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

morestuff posted:

This is the most depressing post I've seen in a long rear end time.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I get a little fatigued even just looking at it, but even assuming all this stuff comes to pass before the music stops, they're pretty easy to avoid if they're not your thing. Then no doubt we'll enter the next bubble - probably video game adaptations or something if Assassin's Creed and Warcraft do business.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

commy gun posted:

Not big into ST, but 09 was serviceable. Into Darkness though, gently caress my life the plot in that movie reeks.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

commy gun posted:

Honestly my biggest issue with ID was that it was basically the first movie all over again. Kirk is an rear end in a top hat hothead who needs to learn how to be a leader...again! Spock is a cold emotionless robot man who needs to learn when to embrace his human side...again! Uhura is there simply for a female lead character and ultimately does nothing of value...again! But even less than last time! Hey look, the bad guy is in A REALLY BIG SCARY SHIP..AGAIN!

And all of it was worse this go around. The entire excursion to the Klingon homeworld goes nowhere. They just show up, have a little pew pew battle, and it's done. The looming threat of Klingon war is never really touched on once bad ship shows up (maybe it was sequel set up, but Beyond looks to have nothing to do with kingons already). Khan's plot at the beginning is unnecessary and convoluted. The beginning serves no purpose, Kirk does a dumb thing, gets demoted, and is instantly back in the captains chair after Khan attacks. The old spock cameo is hilariously forced. Starfleet headquarters comes under attack...again! It was sort of fun at times but it just felt like a giant boring repeat trying to move too fast to hide it's stupidity.

I was willing to watch the Trek stuff as fun action even as a Trek fan and I liked the first movie. My one real complaint as a star trek fan was that they set up this amazing new universe where anything could happen in the first movie...then just spent the entire film ripping off previous star treks instead of trying anything remotely new.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm the Friday the 13th Part 2 in 3D, as though that's actually a notable thing to mention in Anno Domini 2015.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
All hands, brace for impact.

Ice Age: Collision Course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPmm1JhygIo

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Peanut President posted:

I'm a Star Trek fan and I don't watch the movies. Trek nerds bitching about the movies is like Star Wars nerds bitching about the Christmas Special, it's all just stupid cash-ins to get that lucrative "has never heard of star trek" crowd that I'm sure exists.

Star Trek fans don't like Star Trek

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Peak ST was TNG

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them's first trailer reveals that Magical America has an awful sense of fashion and little else.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 16, 2015

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
The "trailer" for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them seems to have been put together so quickly, that they didn't even have time to create German graphics for the localised version. They simply put subtitles in there, which is just ridiculous for a major distributor like Warner. Worldwide day & date launches are so common now that something like this must not happen.

But hey, they needed to have this one ready for Star Wars. Just like everyone else. A few dubbing and mastering companies we're working with did the math for tomorrow's launch (in Europe) and there's around 50 new trailers available that every distributor wants to have placed before Star Wars. With an average length of 2,5 minutes that's a little over two hours of content. I'm really curious how much theaters are charging for prime placement during the next weeks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

nobody likes Star Trek

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

commy gun posted:

At least watch the original Wrath of Khan and you might see why fans are frustrated.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wandle Cax posted:

Nah I like Star Trek. There are things that exist besides the High Art of Cinema.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NarkyBark posted:

At least watch the original Wrath of Khan and you might see why fans are frustrated.

I tried to watch the rifftrax of it, the movie was a boring dole. Top me off on some special effects, this movie is running low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I tried to watch the rifftrax of it, the movie was a boring dole.

Okay, but I think he was suggesting watching the movie.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 16, 2015

• Locked thread