Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

docbeard posted:

where you're a dragon princess or something.
This sounds like it might be a neat addition to my load order, you got a link or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

AtillatheBum posted:

This sounds like it might be a neat addition to my load order, you got a link or anything?

yeah http://www.loverslab.com/

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Skyrim is now freezing after playing for about an hour. I've set my vram in my ENBlocal.ini and adjusted things accordingly in there and this is still happening. What am I missing?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Roadie posted:

JK's does horrifying things to your framerate into cities because he dumps like ten million plants and gewgaws everywhere. I've got a 4GB graphics card that can run the vanilla game on max settings and it turns into shudder city in Solitude with JK's turned on with the same settings.

I'd recommend Expanded Towns and Cities instead of JK's. It does stuff like add buildings and merchants and farms and stuff instead of futzing so much with tons of individual objects, and you can get compatibility patches for ETaC and Dawn.

Open Cities with both is pretty great, too, as long as you also add the mods that make people run away from vampire/dragon attacks.

There is a version of JKs called Lite and a super Lite version that is a huge improvement over regular JKs, I recommend it. It is much more compatible than the original.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
Are there any mods out there that make this game less bullet spongey? Skyrim falls squarely into the "more hp equals difficult good and fun!" camp of video games and it can get pretty annoying with some of the higher leveled enemies. I think the combat in this game could actually be pretty fun if it was more realistic in that regard -- i.e. enemies that go down quickly but can do just as much damage to you, meaning you better watch yourself and not get hit (I've tried installing some of the combat mods like Combat Evolved but none of them really fix this).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Do you have Deadly Combat installed? A couple of its features include weaker armor and increased damage done by both you and NPCs.

EDIT: In my opinion, Combat Evolved is best paired with a "bigger" combat mod (I use it with Action Combat).

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Ultimate Combat and Duel (i know, i know) also gently caress around with damage, allowing for faster combat.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Isn't it simple enough to get the desired effect without mods by just smithing/enchanting yourself super powerful weapons and wearing lovely armor?

...ahahaha, I almost typed like with a straight face. If our response to all desired tweaks were anything but "moar mods" what kind of Skyrim players would we be? :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Nah, even ignoring the "Gotta Have More Mods" part of Skyrim, the enemies will just be killing you in one hit and still take 20+ hits from your powerful weapons.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I do a few things to "balance" combat in Skyrim to reduce tank-like endgame enemies with this mod load out/LOOT priority. I'm using SPERG and Disparity for Perks and Racial/Standing Stones, along with Morrowloot Ultimate and all of the associated patches.

• Dual Wield Parrying Reimplementation - updated version of the Dual Wield Parrying mod.
  • ASIS + Improved INI files - at minimum, you want to use this for the "NPC Enchant Fix", without which, enemies won't get perks and stuff that make the rest of these mods "tick"
  • Skyrim Immersive Creatures - purist version in MCM.
  • High Level Enemies - SIC Edition - this loads after both Skyrim Immersive Creatures mods
  • Revenge of the Enemies - This loads after High Level Enemies.
  • Combat Evolved - loads after all the above. I use the modular version, with the Core and Guards Attack Hostiles options.
  • NPC Smarter Water AI - lets enemies go through water (so you can't just cheese them with arrow shots)

This gives you a nice base of AI tweaks and difficulty changes, as well as more dudes to kill. On top of that, I add

• Bring Your Silver - makes enemies like Vampires and Skeletons vulnerable to certain types of weapons, like silver or blunt.
  • Vigor - Combat Enhanced - I switched to this from Ultimate Combat, although I believe it can be used in conjunction with Ultimate Combat if you want. I like it because it adds bandages and a bunch of mechanics that make for more interesting combat.
  • Weapons and Armor Attributes - adds benefits to wearing plate or using certain types of weapons and armor have benefits, so you can min/max builds and stuff. Highly underrated mod.

I then use Grimy's Combat Patcher to make a combat patch that unifies the styles and settings of all the above mods (and any others in the load order) and I set health offsets to 0.5:

This creates a patch that "normalizes" all health values for all monsters and NPCs added to the game, so that you end up with fewer tank like monsters.

Then I use SkyTweak to make the following changes:

• Weapon & Shield Block values up to 70% (makes blocking more effective)
  • Bash Weapon and Shield Bash range to 121 and 100
  • NPC dodge chance to 0% (this is for archery only)
  • Arrow Recovery to 50%
  • Timed block at 30 - so holding your shield up forever is not a strategy anymore

I also gently caress around with the in combat health and magicka regen rates, as well as change the stamina regen rates a bit, although I don't have those values offhand at the moment.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hello gang, i would like to play skyrim again, I'm thinking of going pretty light on mods, probably I'll try out SPERG, but the undeath mod in the OP got me really interested, does it still break lots of stuff?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Welp. I decided it's time to actually win this game, but my install keeps crashing to desktop.

So I'm reinstalling, doing it right with Mod Organizer, and pruning poo poo I don't need.

Wish me luck.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

So i installed a bunch of the recommended mods, plus better vampires because vampires are rad. Does SPERG make magic less useless at high levels?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Basically. SPERG makes your magic skills scale up the damage/duration of your spells. Eg, leveling Conjuration makes your summons last longer, and with high Destruction, even Flames is an alright spell.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
SPERG makes magic achieve the same levels of hilarious that vanilla stealth archery does.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
For a fresh playthrough, what's the verdict on Warzones or Civil War or anything similar? I saw that Warzones is clear now on the "dangerous mods" list, and I'm tentatively interested.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

dwarf74 posted:

For a fresh playthrough, what's the verdict on Warzones or Civil War or anything similar? I saw that Warzones is clear now on the "dangerous mods" list, and I'm tentatively interested.

Same question, but for Civil War instead. I read about it a long time ago when it still sounded like a mess. Any better? And follow up question, if I don't start working on the civil war quest immediately, will it run in the background and possibly resolve itself without me?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You can use both together, just keep in mind Warzones is pretty huge and script heavy.

Both have been updated recently and are loads more stable than they were a few years ago.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Is there a cool mod to add more sort of transformations or races that are lore friendly? I really liked the friggin lich mod for morrowind, but it seems like all the lich stuff for skyrim is busted and unfinished.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Cantorsdust posted:

Same question, but for Civil War instead. I read about it a long time ago when it still sounded like a mess. Any better? And follow up question, if I don't start working on the civil war quest immediately, will it run in the background and possibly resolve itself without me?

Civil War Overhaul won't start until you start it. Once you start it, it will then start to run in the background without you, but before that, you can ignore it, and things will stay deadlocked as they are.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

If you're talking about Civil War Overhaul, :siren:you have to start a new game with it since it heavily alters the war and will cause problems on a current save.:siren: (Apollodown mentions this several times in the description, but you might not have noticed that due to his polarizing style of writing descriptions).

I'd recommend the overhaul since the vanilla civil war is bland and boring, and I recently finished it for the True Sons of Skyrim had a blast, and here's what to expect:

- New units for each side (for example, Stormcloaks get giants, Imperials get Praetors and other dudes with Roman titles).

- More diversity in soldier appearance because why not?

- Smarter enemy AI

- The ability to lose battles and ultimately the war (sometimes, you'll just knocked out and appear in a nearby camp, and the other side will try to attack another hold your factions own until you repel them)

- :tinfoil:SPIES:tinfoil: (One time, I was using the forge in Whiterun and I got attacked by an Imperial spy, it won't happen all the time, but you might want to keep an eye out for any unusually behaving guards while in town)

- If you wear the opposite faction's armor, you can disguise yourself, handy for quests that require you to go deep into enemy territory (this won't activate until you complete the battle for Whiterun)

- Restores some cut content and fights, such as the battle for Markarth, and Galmar executing Ondolemar if you win that city for the Stormcloaks.

- Ulfric and Tullius will fight alongside their dudes during the battles for Whiterun and Solitude.

- I don't know if it's vanilla or restored content (likely the latter), but one of the quests for taking Markarth involves blackmailing Ogmund, and using the information he provides to ambush an Imperial caravan.

- Dragons can randomly appear and cause trouble, but thankfully the mod has an MCM to disable that.

EDIT: I don't Warzones, but Immersive Patrols has some versions that play nice with CWO.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 16, 2015

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Does SPERG do anything cool to the vampire lord and werewolf perk trees or are they a seperately governed thing?

edit: i ask cause i'm using better vampires already and i'm in the market for something to improve vanilla werewolfing, but if sperg already does something i don't need to bother

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 16, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Is Optimizer Textures or DDSOPT still recommended after installing tons of graphics mods?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Does SPERG do anything cool to the vampire lord and werewolf perk trees or are they a seperately governed thing?

edit: i ask cause i'm using better vampires already and i'm in the market for something to improve vanilla werewolfing, but if sperg already does something i don't need to bother

No, SPERG doesn't touch vampires or werewolves.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Question about Oblivion:

I created my own dungeon infested with a variety of enemies, each of which have "respawn" checked. They all appear on my first entry to the dungeon. But after the dungeon resets, only half appear every time.

Any ideas on how to fix this or why this is happening?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moonlight Tales Essentials is a lighter version of Moonlight Tales, and allows you to change your werewolf's appearance and even play as a werebear (which is cosmetic only). It also comes with a cool howl at the moon thing and a special jump power that negates fall damage and increases jump height.

Here's a werewolf perk mod, I don't use it so I don't know about compatibility and balance.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Moonlight Tales Essentials is a lighter version of Moonlight Tales, and allows you to change your werewolf's appearance and even play as a werebear (which is cosmetic only). It also comes with a cool howl at the moon thing and a special jump power that negates fall damage and increases jump height.

Here's a werewolf perk mod, I don't use it so I don't know about compatibility and balance.

nice, thanks, trying out moonlight tales now. laffo at the picture of the werewolf with tits on the mod page tho.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nice, thanks, trying out moonlight tales now. laffo at the picture of the werewolf with tits on the mod page tho.

I know, it should have 6.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Is Optimizer Textures or DDSOPT still recommended after installing tons of graphics mods?

Yes. Very good for keeping VRAM usage down.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Holy poo poo, Moonlight tales added a whole lot of customization since I last used it.

Does anyone know the name of the mod that added better loot to boss chests, but each one had a certain theme that all the loot would follow? there were also khajiit merchants in inns that would sell special enchanted items.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 17, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Is there a mod that does the "vampire hunters will hunt you down if you're a vampire" feature better than Better Vampires?

I remember a mod waaaaay back that tracked your activity. If you bit someone and were caught there was a possibility of a hunter or Dawnguard hunter spawning into the game world and tracking you.

Which could make for hilarious situations when some dork comes charging out of a crowd to try to sledgehammer you into the ground. Never mind a bit of tension when in populated areas, since they'd cheerfully travel from city to city or dungeon to dungeon to catch you like some sort of nordic terminator.

Better Vampires is a pretty good mod for fixing up the rest of the vampire stuff. Which is good since there's a whole expansion centered around that feature. But the hunter feature is pretty terrible once you figure out how it works. All it does is have a small chance to spawn in a bunch of dawnguard right on top of you when you enter a dungeon or building.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 18, 2015

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Gyshall posted:

I do a few things to "balance" combat in Skyrim to reduce tank-like endgame enemies with this mod load out/LOOT priority. I'm using SPERG and Disparity for Perks and Racial/Standing Stones, along with Morrowloot Ultimate and all of the associated patches.

• Dual Wield Parrying Reimplementation - updated version of the Dual Wield Parrying mod.
  • ASIS + Improved INI files - at minimum, you want to use this for the "NPC Enchant Fix", without which, enemies won't get perks and stuff that make the rest of these mods "tick"
  • Skyrim Immersive Creatures - purist version in MCM.
  • High Level Enemies - SIC Edition - this loads after both Skyrim Immersive Creatures mods
  • Revenge of the Enemies - This loads after High Level Enemies.
  • Combat Evolved - loads after all the above. I use the modular version, with the Core and Guards Attack Hostiles options.
  • NPC Smarter Water AI - lets enemies go through water (so you can't just cheese them with arrow shots)

This gives you a nice base of AI tweaks and difficulty changes, as well as more dudes to kill. On top of that, I add

• Bring Your Silver - makes enemies like Vampires and Skeletons vulnerable to certain types of weapons, like silver or blunt.
  • Vigor - Combat Enhanced - I switched to this from Ultimate Combat, although I believe it can be used in conjunction with Ultimate Combat if you want. I like it because it adds bandages and a bunch of mechanics that make for more interesting combat.
  • Weapons and Armor Attributes - adds benefits to wearing plate or using certain types of weapons and armor have benefits, so you can min/max builds and stuff. Highly underrated mod.

I then use Grimy's Combat Patcher to make a combat patch that unifies the styles and settings of all the above mods (and any others in the load order) and I set health offsets to 0.5:

This creates a patch that "normalizes" all health values for all monsters and NPCs added to the game, so that you end up with fewer tank like monsters.

Then I use SkyTweak to make the following changes:

• Weapon & Shield Block values up to 70% (makes blocking more effective)
  • Bash Weapon and Shield Bash range to 121 and 100
  • NPC dodge chance to 0% (this is for archery only)
  • Arrow Recovery to 50%
  • Timed block at 30 - so holding your shield up forever is not a strategy anymore

I also gently caress around with the in combat health and magicka regen rates, as well as change the stamina regen rates a bit, although I don't have those values offhand at the moment.

I had issues with Dual Wield Parrying Reimplementation and went back to the original version. Randomly unable to cast left hand spells was my issue. Looking at posts for the mod point to it breaking mounted combat as well, but I never ride horses so I wouldn't know.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr.Grit posted:

I had issues with Dual Wield Parrying Reimplementation and went back to the original version. Randomly unable to cast left hand spells was my issue. Looking at posts for the mod point to it breaking mounted combat as well, but I never ride horses so I wouldn't know.

Interesting. I haven't had that issue yet, but it has been slightly buggy for me. I'll probably switch back at some point.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Man Whore posted:

Does anyone know the name of the mod that added better loot to boss chests, but each one had a certain theme that all the loot would follow? there were also khajiit merchants in inns that would sell special enchanted items.

More Interesting Loot, I believe this is it
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48869/

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Is there any decent mod for posing figures and changing their facial expressions for screenshots and the like? The best one I found is Puppeteer Master, but it's old, clunky, and has a weirdly fetishistic feel to it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mizuti posted:

Is there any decent mod for posing figures and changing their facial expressions for screenshots and the like? The best one I found is Puppeteer Master, but it's old, clunky, and has a weirdly fetishistic feel to it.

FNIS has an option that adds a "spell" you can use to zap NPCs into specific animations or idle poses, but I think it's meant mainly for testing new animations/meshes and doesn't do movement or expressions.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So between the Improved Camera and the Archery Overhaul mod, which one is probably making my crossbow out of frame while shooting? It's real drat annoying.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is there a mod that let's me shoot arrows downward from a ledge without them magically embedding themselves at my feet?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mizuti posted:

Try mfg console: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/44596

this won't do poses, but it'll do facial expressions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

dwarf74 posted:

So between the Improved Camera and the Archery Overhaul mod, which one is probably making my crossbow out of frame while shooting? It's real drat annoying.

Probably either/or given they are both changing camera effects. Check their Nexus pages/comments and you'll likely find something to go off of. EDIT: It's definitely something happened in AGO, there are several bug reports about it.

Red Mundus posted:

Is there a mod that let's me shoot arrows downward from a ledge without them magically embedding themselves at my feet?

It's most likely the collision properties of arrows in general. I use this mod to get around that. It also changes other stuff so look it over first.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58137/

Since we're on the topic, another good mod for archery IMO, expect to fiddle with the mods in TESVEdit though if you use them all.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11941/

This is the one mentioned above, seems cool but also slightly buggy from the reports, I might tear it open in TESVEdit and see what I can drag into a combined mod, like I did with the above two.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69033/

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 18, 2015

• Locked thread