Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I've got glutes of steel

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

this rules

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I see your butts and raise you elf boobs:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Doubling down:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
B-cup cakes?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hot elf buns?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Internet Janitor posted:

Doubling down:

Requesting an elf bakery sim.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This thread has taken a turn :wiggle:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Old Man Mozz posted:

I figured that animating it was a 'good idea'

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I've got glutes of steel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNM9eyIsbvc

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Alright, I've gotta stop telling myself "I can't pixel" and just grind out the practice. This is the first one I actually kinda like, but critique is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Here's a better one.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 11, 2015

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

Requesting an elf bakery sim.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hi everyone.

While home sick yesterday I made some (admittedly rather crude + lovely) little pixel animations in Photoshop. I haven't animated anything since I was 10 or so and using Shockwave Flash (yeah yeah, cheap excuse for posting something lovely, right? ;))

Anyways, I was just wondering if you guys could share or quote some posts about pixel animation workflow. I found it interesting enough to maybe get serious about learning it sometime.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

For big stuff I generally start with a sketch, scale it down, and then draw over it. For small stuff I start with pixels. I always try to get a design legible in black and white before adding color, both because this helps ensure things read well and because working in 2 colors makes it easiest to push pixels around and fine tune them without reaching for a palette constantly. Then I add color, sometimes completely removing or overpainting my "line art".

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Internet Janitor posted:

For big stuff I generally start with a sketch, scale it down, and then draw over it. For small stuff I start with pixels. I always try to get a design legible in black and white before adding color, both because this helps ensure things read well and because working in 2 colors makes it easiest to push pixels around and fine tune them without reaching for a palette constantly. Then I add color, sometimes completely removing or overpainting my "line art".
Cool, thanks. Boatload of questions for you (:sweatdrop:):
What programs do you use? Do you by chance have any comparison images of different working stages of pixel assets? What sets of dimensions do you work in and why? How many colors do you typically include in a palette?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Aseprite is getting very good and has more functionality than you likely need at this stage. If you are going to learn a new program, I'd recommend that one.

Similar to what Internet Janitor mentioned, block out your colours for animation until it looks pretty good, then add texture and detail.

So like this was my rough:

And this was the final animation:

A palette of sixteen colours is often plenty, and I would consider fewer to make things faster and easier. There are lots of popular palettes around like Arne's and Dawnbringer's. Using them has the side effect of making your work a little more homogeneous seeing as there's a ton of pixel art using those palettes today. A quick alternative is to find a piece of pixel art that you love the colours of, and run it through this tool: http://wouterpleizier.nl/pj/ to break it down into its base palette.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Awesome! Thanks!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

Cool, thanks. Boatload of questions for you (:sweatdrop:):
What programs do you use? Do you by chance have any comparison images of different working stages of pixel assets? What sets of dimensions do you work in and why? How many colors do you typically include in a palette?

I mainly work with Pixen, but be aware that it has some quirks and bugs that I've simply become used to. I keep threatening to write my own pixel editor.

I have a few examples of in-progress shots of larger pieces in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211&pagenumber=27&perpage=40#post424450669
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211&pagenumber=42&perpage=40#post430686104

I'm not particularly attached to any dimensions, but 16x24 can be fun to work with- it's a good aspect ratio for people and just enough to make a variety of characters and expressions read. Small sprites are easy to work with, especially if you're learning to animate.

I tend to go wild with my palette at first and then sometimes I'll work to reduce the color depth in a piece. Scut's advice is all good. Practice with 1-bit: you'd be surprised how much you can get out of only two colors through outlining, dithering, use of negative space, etc.

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 11, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

...I really want to play this game.

Also, thanks for the Pixen rec - I was just about to ask for Mac app recommendations.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

That portrait is great

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Besesoth posted:

...I really want to play this game.

You're in Luck!

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 12, 2015

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Trying to work on a tileset for my game and I could use some input. It's supposed to be floating terrain, with a source of light underneath. I'm figuring out what tile size I want to switch to and so far I like the depth that I get from 24x16. Feedback / thoughts? I think I'm moving towards a Sega Genesis style / level of complexity, although not 100% true to the tech.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 13, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat sticklegs! :argh:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

drat sticklegs! :argh:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Would definitely use tile 2 as an avatar if I cared to buy one.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Glad to see the thread is keeping the butt trend rolling.

Animation chat had me motivated to do something. This is the latest mech drone for Temporus. The mech itself is made up of a bunch of separate sprite assets so this is a little demo of how it could rumble about.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Very much WIP. Hey, at least the roof is turning out ok so far.. and a concept sketch of how it kind of will look like.

edit

Butt Savage posted:

Aside from this looking like a cool game, these shots make awesome smartphone wallpapers. Keep'em coming!
Cheers :) Haha, I need to figure out a way to turn that into an amazing marketing move!

Update (obviously with the wrong background but whatever) mockup;

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 14, 2015

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Imaginary Friend posted:

Very much WIP. Hey, at least the roof is turning out ok so far.. and a concept sketch of how it kind of will look like.

Aside from this looking like a cool game, these shots make awesome smartphone wallpapers. Keep'em coming!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Imaginary Friend posted:

Update (obviously with the wrong background but whatever) mockup;

Looking great! I like those rich blue shadows. I feel that your characters fight for dominance with the mid-ground where you have similar levels of contrast but also things like outlines that make the eye feel as though the bushes might be more important than the sprites.

Yesterday I worked on skin tones.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Here's a bunch more I've made in various styles as I try to figure out how to pixel art. The barkeep and nurse portrait are b&w sketches that I pixeled over, and the rest I did straight in the editor.

Random comments:
The barkeep was going to be an animation but he's all on one layer so I lost heart after nudging the head.
The butler's arms are kinda disconnected from his torso when you look at the animation, but when I sync up the arms to the torso it feels really lifeless. I don't have a better solution for that.
The girl at the end was supposed to be a bit isometric but her legs came out like a frontal view, so it kinda looks like she's posing for mock outrage.
I still haven't figured out the mystery of when it's ok to not outline something in a uniform color. I tried outlining them with darker shades of the inner colors but it just came out strange looking in a way I can't quite describe. I don't mean they looked fatter/thinner than they should; the "feel" just seemed off.

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 15, 2015

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Scut posted:

Looking great! I like those rich blue shadows. I feel that your characters fight for dominance with the mid-ground where you have similar levels of contrast but also things like outlines that make the eye feel as though the bushes might be more important than the sprites.
Cheers! Is this better?

As for the contrast part, I'm still waiting with that one until I dabbled with it in the game. I want players to be able to interact with lots of the stuff (like jumping on bushes and trying to figure out a way up to the roof etc.) so I want to keep most of that on the same "layer" as the characters and hopefully, the gameplay of it won't kill the eyes too much.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Looks good to me. I'm still loving that killer whale dude.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

It's great, but I keep seeing this and getting distracted by the ears not flapping when it jumps up and down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is art

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Futzing with tiles again

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am resuming work on my Starbound mod because I enjoy making poor life decisions, got the SAIL AI done for my Roman Space Beetles It's an interface/guide/helper thing that has a wide range of emotions, from talk, to blink, to yell, to shaking their head, to a unique emote to oh wait that's literally all they can do right now. There's also a pretty strict frame limit if I'm shooting for parity with the default races (I am)

There's a static overlay in-game but I didn't include it because gently caress it

loosely based off of the Rome: Total War advisor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
The nightmare of every policeman out there!

Frustrated over not coming up with the building design my mind tells me to make >_<

And bonus Orca Cola machine with Whale.