Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

computer parts posted:

I wonder if the potato map is all potatoes, because I think China prefers sweet potatoes over the regular.

Did you actually think that sweet potatoes are a variant of potato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Data from 2011, white = missing.

What happened to Korea?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kim you maniac! You blew it all up! With potatoes!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Orange Devil posted:

Mongolia crazy about horses. Shocking.

I was gonna say. Maybe people are looking up info about their actual ponies. "My little pony keeps throwing its shoes, what do i do"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

I was gonna say. Maybe people are looking up info about their actual ponies. "My little pony keeps throwing its shoes, what do i do"
And the top comments are all asking if it has wings or not.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kennel posted:

Google Trends + My little pony

Worse than Genghis.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GyroNinja posted:

What happened to Korea?
Technical difficulties. :sigh:
48.2 kg in North Korea and 62 kg in South Korea.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Seems legit.

Now for an actual map, here is an interactive racial distribution of Brazil, based on a previous American one.

The data is taken from the census self-identification race parameters, blue is whites, green is "browns" (mixed race), red is blacks, yellow is asians (literally "yellows", very classy of the census bureau) and brown is indigenous peoples. I really recommend you click the link because the image is kinda off-colour because of compression. There's also the button on the upper left corner which lets you see population density.

bagual fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 14, 2015

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Back in 2010-11 I followed one year of Russian in evening school so I can't remotely claim to speak it, but I can still read Cyrillic and seeing Mongolian always throws me for a loop. It's kind of like that one Native American language that uses Latin script but the characters have absolutely no relation to the sounds they usually represent in other languages that use Latin script (IIRC the guy who came up with the character mapping couldn't read himself).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Central Asian Cyrillic languages are all weird in this regard.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Central Asian Cyrillic languages are all weird in this regard.

The Russians made them use that alphabet, couldn't they have at least tried to make the sounds match?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Haven't a bunch of them switched to the Latin alphabet since the fall of the Soviet Union? Switching to the Gregorian calendar and/or the Latin alphabet has been all the rage this past century.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Phlegmish posted:

Haven't a bunch of them switched to the Latin alphabet since the fall of the Soviet Union? Switching to the Gregorian calendar and/or the Latin alphabet has been all the rage this past century.

Azerbaijani, Moldovan (Romanian), Uzbek and Turkmen. Moldovan/Romanian looks to be the most successful transition of the lot (the others have been slow in fully converting).

The Crimean Tatars switched from Cyrillic to Latin after the fall of the Soviet Union, and are back using Cyrillic now that they're under Russian rule.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Data from 2011, white = missing.

Okay, here's what I was going to guess what this one was, so now everyone else can guess what this is:

(Obviously I was way off, although it's also the kind of thing that's difficult to measure)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

freebooter posted:

Okay, here's what I was going to guess what this one was, so now everyone else can guess what this is:

(Obviously I was way off, although it's also the kind of thing that's difficult to measure)

I don't quite understand what are you saying, but I'll guess that green map is circumcision.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

kalstrams posted:

I don't quite understand what are you saying, but I'll guess that green map is circumcision.

Wouldn't the US be on one extreme end of the scale then?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Wouldn't the US be on one extreme end of the scale then?
I have not seen any hard that on this so in my head uncircumcised Democrats balance out Republicans.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Azerbaijani, Moldovan (Romanian), Uzbek and Turkmen. Moldovan/Romanian looks to be the most successful transition of the lot (the others have been slow in fully converting).

The Crimean Tatars switched from Cyrillic to Latin after the fall of the Soviet Union, and are back using Cyrillic now that they're under Russian rule.

Didn't some languages switch from Cyrillic to Arabic script as well?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

kalstrams posted:

Nah, South Korea has it a lot more than the rest of non-Muslim Asia, and Catholic Latin America shouldn't outweigh the USA.

What could North Korea possibly have in common with the other dark countries? Hmmm. Soldiers or police per capita? Violent deaths?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

kalstrams posted:

I incorrectly thought that your map was "X" but it turned out to be potatoes, this green map is actually "X."

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Violent deaths?

You're warm

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Persons killed by the state per capita?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

freebooter posted:

I incorrectly thought that your map was "X" but it turned out to be potatoes, this green map is actually "X."
Oh, probably misery per capita then.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

freebooter posted:

You're warm

Violent deaths for a specific subgroup? Women, perhaps?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Parma Violets deaths.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

freebooter posted:

GINI Index?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

freebooter posted:

wine drinking

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Violent deaths for a specific subgroup? Women, perhaps?

Bingo. Actually specifically "violence against women," although like I said I'm dubious as to how accurate it is, not an easy thing to measure unless you're going all the way up to death.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

wine drinking
Russia winning France where it really counts.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hogge Wild posted:

wine drinking

France and Italy makes me think no.

also the Muslim world.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

BelgianGlory.jpg

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
So, in a contest of complexity, Syrian Civil War or Congo Conflict?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
All people should watch the documentary about Virunga national park from last year.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can fully believe that that's some insane map detailing all the different groups and militias in the area.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I can fully believe that that's some insane map detailing all the different groups and militias in the area.
For a moment I thought that was Belgium.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, from this report. There are 69 different militant groups listed.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

kalstrams posted:

For a moment I thought that was Belgium.

Same here. For a moment I imagined some forest on the southeast corner of Belgium full of fans of paintball fake battles. I trough it was weird at first. Then I remembered that novel, Stand on Zanzibar, african names have a sound to it, that would be different than belgian ones, except if the belgians where the ones to choose the names of the african towns. That, maybe.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 15, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tei posted:

Same here. For a moment I imagined some forest on the southeast corner of Belgium full of fans of paintball fake battles. I trough it was weird at first. Then I remembered that novel, Stand on Zanzibar, african names have a sound to it, that would be different than belgian ones, except if the belgians where the ones to choose the names of the african towns. That, maybe.
I decided that it is not Belgium, in fact, only after I decided to figure the closest region of Germany to make a caliphate joke, which is when I discovered that borders don't quite add up, and the continents too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

France and Italy makes me think no.

also the Muslim world.

I meant that the lighter countries consume more. Here's a wine map compared to the other map: