Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

First one is good but not great.

Look at it like The Terminator. The second movie set the tone for the franchise, by being a legitimately excellent movie, not just a good, fun action movie. All the lovely Terminator sequels are around because the second movie was so good.

Jedi had some very fun set pieces. The beginning part was disconnected from the whole but was very fun. The middle of the movie is just a ponderous mess. The end of the movie has some great scenes in the throne room, some innovative and excellent space battle stuff, and the cheesy-horrible ewok stuff on the ground. It's a mixed bag, and it's confused and messy, but it's not prequels bad. There's good stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Except that The Terminator and Star Wars are arguably as good or better than their sequels.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Everything between leaving Tatooine to Luke arriving at the throne room is really dull. That scene with Luke talking to Leia at night feels thirty minutes long.

But the throne room scenes are legit the best in the trilogy, outside of Yoda in ESB.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
http://pastebin.com/jcHuwZKT

Um...woof.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

No... No... Thats impossible.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

-Finn's origin (his skin color, who are his parents, why he hates the First Order) is never explained.

lmao

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The other spoiler thing talks about how he's reluctant to perform his Stormtrooper duties when he's wiping out settlements in cold blood. So, uh, sounds like some ding dong just took beats and pieces from around the various sources and filled in his blanks.

Or it's entirely true and has Tommy Wiseau-esque dialogue at a pivotal moment :shrug:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh, hi, Han.

Would pay money for that movie.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Based on other reviews I've read, it's entirely true. Just pared down quite a bit. The criticism I keep on seeing is that a lot of it feels a little bit like shallow fan service (which matches Lucas's hot take).

edit: Also no canon explanation for black people, ticket cancelled.

Danger fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 15, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Thank goodness Han and Leia have been just faffing around doing jack poo poo about their murderous son until this movie started so we could have some bullshit pathos!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Obviously the rote plot synopsis will seem shallow without the visual language of the film. Maybe it'll still suck though and fans will have something new to base their internet posting around, don't worry.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Danger posted:

Based on other reviews I've read, it's entirely true. Just pared down quite a bit. The criticism I keep on saying is that a lot of it feels a little bit like shallow fan service (which matches Lucas's hot take).

I believe most of it is accurate-ish just it's taken from other sources. I don't buy the dialogue for a minute.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Thank goodness Han and Leia have been just faffing around doing jack poo poo about their murderous son until this movie started so we could have some bullshit pathos!

This is what's bothered me so far, I wonder if the impression will stick through the actual film. All the old characters doing nothing for 10+ years because sad is really lame.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Danger posted:

Based on other reviews I've read, it's entirely true. Just pared down quite a bit. The criticism I keep on saying is that a lot of it feels a little bit like shallow fan service (which matches Lucas's hot take).

That's pretty much what everyone was expecting, a film that's essentially a new New Hope. Now it remains to be seen how or if Episode VIII will subvert the established narrative.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he probably just comes from the feral tribal black people planet Mace Windu came from.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Maybe they don't know it's Kylo, they think their son was murdered along with the other Jedi? Luke either didn't know or didn't tell them. gently caress that would really complete the "Kylo is Vader, Luke is Obi Wan" parallels.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe if it sucks enough then the blockbuster model will fail and some original films will be made for once.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I love that a New Rebublic did get established, but immediately became a weak, impotent failure.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Motto posted:

I love that apparently a New Rebublic does get established, but immediately becomes a weak, impotent failure.

Borrowed straight from the old canon on that one

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Maybe they don't know it's Kylo, they think their son was murdered along with the other Jedi? Luke either didn't know or didn't tell them. gently caress that would really complete the "Kylo is Vader, Luke is Obi Wan" parallels.

They know, and it's made plain to the audience within the first ~45 minutes apparently. It's not even treated like some twist or anything, just dropped in conversation; which sounds like a pretty decent way to handle the worst kept secret about the movie.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jack Gladney posted:

Maybe if it sucks enough then the blockbuster model will fail and some original films will be made for once.

Nope. Star Wars will make bank, even if it's the worst movie ever made. And it probably won't be the worst movie ever made.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

No Mods No Masters posted:

Borrowed straight from the old canon on that one

Ripped from the headlines

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What about YodaPeople, do we find out about them? I've been waiting a long time to quote Sean here (where he almost got the title of the new film right):

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lucas is saving Yodas people for Episode VII: How The Force Got Its Groove Back.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i want Yoda to be like Toad in the Super Mario games where there's one whos actually named Toad but also the entire species is named Toad

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

ashpanash posted:

The hype I'm seeing is eerily like the early Phantom Menace reactions. Lots of "Oh, it was amazing, it had everything!" but no one going "Wow. Drop everything and see this!"

Which is kinda what I expected. Like JJTrek - Fun, kinetic, more than a little dumb and easy, very forgettable.

This is pretty much why I don't care that much. It's fun, it's pretty, it will have a couple of references to nerd-lore, but ultimately it's shallow and lacks depth.

I guess the JJ pace of action movies does not allow for scenes which made the original trilogy great, like Obi Wan explaining The Force and all slower and quieter bits and sequences which added to much so their atmosphere.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
In this thread we read bullet point summaries of movies and comment on their lack of depth.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I really hope it sucks ballsack, but it'll probably just be mediocre. Greatness would be acceptable as well.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ashpanash posted:

The only legitimately excellent movie in the franchise is Empire. The original was fun but kind of a mess. The entire franchise really does rest on the shoulders of Empire.

Imagine if Empire sucked - it would be a Matrix situation, and no one would remember Star Wars.

wow it's almost like ... star wars is bad

Jack Gladney posted:

ahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhaha

they're going to start making live action animes before they actually go back to original films. be careful what you wish for

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 15, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

James Cameron is supposed to be making a live action anime but he decided to go make Avatar 2 and like, explore the bottom of the ocean instead.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

icantfindaname posted:

they're going to start making live action animes before they actually go back to original films. be careful what you wish for

Who is they? Big Hollywood has been high on sequels since The Thin Man movies.

Just in the past few years, in no particular order & off the top of my head, there are movies like Enter the Void, Beyond the Black Rainbow, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Birdman, Crimson Peak, The Fall, Gravity, Chappie, Prisoners, Nightcrawler, Interstellar, What We Do In the Shadows, and Avatar. There are tons of original films, but here ya'll are in the Star Wars 7 thread. Some of those movies even did pretty well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Groovelord Neato posted:

he probably just comes from the feral tribal black people planet Mace Windu came from.

Wonder what this guy's opinion of Space Latino Bail Organa was.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nessus posted:

James Cameron is supposed to be making a live action anime but he decided to go make Avatar 2 and like, explore the bottom of the ocean instead.

I remember back in the Spring of 2010 when Avatar was just leaving the theaters after making a gazillion dollars and James Cameron was talking about how he was going to get right to work on back-to-back sequels, a prequel book, and a bunch of other poo poo. He was targeting release dates of 2013/14. Its been nearly 6 years and he hasn't done poo poo, Avatar 2 is barely in pre-production. What the gently caress has he been doing? Avatar is not a hot property, he should have struck as fast as possible to ride the hype wave it had. But it's now long gone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People are criticizing a movie based off of paste bin hot takes .

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

JJ ABRAMS DONE GOOFED FUCKERS!!! :kheldragar:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
What a waste of von Sydow if it's true that he basically gets a cameo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BigglesSWE posted:

What a waste of von Sydow if it's true that he basically gets a cameo.

He old as gently caress, you're gonna risk giving his ancient rear end a major role in your billion dollar movie and have him croak halfway through shooting?

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.
I just saw the movie. I'm willing to answer any question, if it's made using spoiler marks.

I really liked it! For starters it's way better than the prequels.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love Max Von Sydow as much as the next person, but yeah, dude is going on 90. He was probably never going to be more than a cameo for this movie.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Insonix posted:

I just saw the movie. I'm willing to answer any question, if it's made using spoiler marks.

I've read the criticism of the snoke reveal, but it does seem like a clever way to use JarJar, how did it come off on screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Insonix posted:

Fine!

Why are you requiring spoiler marks in the spoiler thread

• Locked thread