Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mzbundifund posted:

Oh ok. I didn't realize the crossbow was able to penetrate more than one rat before ending, is that a function of the weapon tier? I haven't gotten an orange one. That adds significant utility to it.

Also I love how Saltzpyre and Fuegonasus are grumpy old people who dislike each other violently but get along because they both hate rats more. Elf aside they really nailed the characterization in this game.

The elf is pretty accurate to the Wood Elves in Warhammer, though I was disappointed the dwarf wasn't as aggressive with her as the WH and the wizard are; I think the dwarves still have a COLOSSAL grudge against the elves and I don't remember if they actually differentiate between the different kinds of elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

John Dyne posted:

The elf is pretty accurate to the Wood Elves in Warhammer, though I was disappointed the dwarf wasn't as aggressive with her as the WH and the wizard are; I think the dwarves still have a COLOSSAL grudge against the elves and I don't remember if they actually differentiate between the different kinds of elves.

Bardin is just a great guy. He's such a great guy, he can even not murder the elf, unless she starts trash-talking him.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

We should all aspire to murder the elf.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I like Kerillian but that might just be because the whole dual-wielding rogue/ranger thing is my fantasy shtick of choice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Opposing Farce posted:

I like Kerillian but that might just be because the whole dual-wielding rogue/ranger thing is my fantasy shtick of choice.

Most people agree she's really fun to play as, they're more split on if she's a hilarious jackass embarrassing herself or elven Triplehitler.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i thought the skaven were being really rude and sexist for calling the elf a bitch, at first

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Most people agree she's really fun to play as, they're more split on if she's a hilarious jackass embarrassing herself or elven Triplehitler.

She can't be both?

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Night10194 posted:

Elven Triplehitler.

Name change request.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the Soldier's arming sword because of how easy it is to score headshots with it. It has a similar swing to the two hander, and I frequently get 4 to 5 rat's heads with each swing. It's a pretty good glass cannon weapon.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I got an orange 2h sword for the soldier, and it owns as much as I hoped

kind of sucks that i favor the blunderbus tho since they step on each others toes, and makes stormvermin and gunners kind of a pain at times. it's traits kind of blow, too. regrowth on normal is okay, but the other two are heroic killing blow and improved pommel.

but cutting rats in two is worth any price.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The day I'm waiting for is orange two handed sword that heals on a kill. The one I've got isn't bad, it just could be better.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Coolguye posted:

It is not a function of weapon tier, though obviously the increased damage of higher tiers makes it geometrically more valuable.

On the other hand the more slots you have the less it hurts to need rupture on one.

Skandranon posted:

Are you kidding me? Those two are pretty much making bedroom eyes at each other. There's probably already fan-fiction about them somewhere.

Yeah, they're great at that in loathe thing.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

John Dyne posted:

Not since they won the War of the Beard (I think that was the name) way back when in Fantasy lore. Distrust and mock mercilessly for not having decent facial hair, sure, but they won the war and the (by comparison) big feud then. Besides, Bardin's a Ranger and they're just odd by Dwarven standards. Actually trying to get along with elves is just another odd thing dwarf eccentrics might do.

And, having come back to this game after a break, is it just me or is the starting Soldier blunderbuss pretty rubbish? If it's struggling to kill clanrats practically straight ahead of the muzzle only a few paces away on Normal difficulty, I'm hoping I get something an awful lot better for harder runs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
blunderbuss is trash, you are not crazy

use something else

like, anything else.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Good to know. Give the guy a dwarven over-under or something, amount of times that AP hammer has saved my arse against stormvermin he deserves it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Kruber's Repeater is not a bad weapon against your average rat if you can get one with Targeteer and adjust to its wonky aiming and spread. And don't rely on it too much for when it randomly decides to not impact.

The arquebus/handgun he gets is his primary ranged weapon, though, because it's incredibly good at what it does (erasing special rats) and is very reliable at doing what it does.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The blunderbuss is a contender for worst weapon in the game, next to the repeater pistol.

I'm liking the repeater handgun on hard though and hope I can get an orange one for nightmare. It does equal damage to the brace of pistols, so since the blues bodyshot clan rats on hard and the orange brace of pistols bodyshots clan rats on nightmare, I'm expecting the orange repeater handgun will do that too. With a decent chance to heal on kill and ammunition holder, it's surprisingly good at getting health back here and there and generally thinning groups out.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The blunderbuss is a contender for worst weapon in the game, next to the repeater
There are some redeeming mods though: my buddy found an orange targeteer master crafted blunderbuss and he loves it. Makes a fine mist out of any close clumped rats, and he says he can get Roger's attention with a single shot every time, so that's really useful for drawing him in and tanking.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Serpentis posted:

Not since they won the War of the Beard (I think that was the name) way back when in Fantasy lore. Distrust and mock mercilessly for not having decent facial hair, sure, but they won the war and the (by comparison) big feud then. Besides, Bardin's a Ranger and they're just odd by Dwarven standards. Actually trying to get along with elves is just another odd thing dwarf eccentrics might do.

I know the war ENDED but it wasn't exactly resolved; the High King killed the Phoenix King and took his head and crown as a trophy, and set the elven capital city on fire or some poo poo, and then the high elves besieged the main dwarven hold until they found out the dark elves snuck in the back door and were loving their city up. Elves pulled out of the Old World and said 'anyone who stays behind is an idiot' and those idiots were the wood elves.

Technically they won, but I seem to recall the slayers in the Gotrek series acted like the elven grudge was never truly done. I guess it's like the dwarves are from Alabama and the War of the Beard was the civil war. THE DWARVES SHALL RISE AGAIN

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
As an elf I use Sword & dagger + hagbane. When I got the red versions of these, I actually find that they are literally too powerful.

Great Stag Stance has 15% chance to instantly kill a non-ogre enemy, has regrowth (both normal attacks of course) and a team-assist perk where if you block the guy you parried takes more damage from allies. Sword & Dagger is already hot so, yeah.

But the Hagbane is a whole different level of bullshit, especially with the Hail of Doom & Ammunition Holder. It is by far the best of the bows because you can literally point at any group of Skaven and they will all be choking to death on their own guts in one shot, and if they don't die they will die in a single normal swing. If you drink a strength potion you can melt a rat ogre in 5 seconds. I used to be a Trueflight fan, but then I used hagbane for a while. I haven't looked back. If you can't get the reds, at least make sure you can get ammunition holder on the Hagbane. Hail of Doom is gravy compared to it. You could also go with a Scavenger thing but, eh, it gets 45 shots with the Ammunition perk.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
hagbane is really good at killing your teammates and clan rats that everyone else has no issues mopping up regardless

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Hagbane is pro-tier at griefing to be sure.

It just happens to be top notch at everything else, too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lunethex posted:

a team-assist perk where if you block the guy you parried takes more damage from allies.

Any word on whether this works on roger and whether the effect is very noticeable or not?

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I just failed a nightmare run because of a hagsbane elf and beam wizard. Took so much more damage from team than rats. I realize the beam staff can be godly in the right hands, but gently caress the stupid poison bow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

An experiment in skaven paratrooper technology goes horribly wrong

That middle effect became 95% chance to penetrate an extra target so I guess I have to use this thing now. Hopefully you can roll for new traits individually so I can maybe replace the right trait with ammunition holder or get the double capacity one, which sounds magical. Also the gunshot sounds for it are missing again.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 12, 2015

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Is anyone around tonight who can help me get White Rat done in Hard? I've tried pugging it a few times but we always lose at the barrels.

SteamID is wexia. I'm also in the Goontide group.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

got my cataclysm banner weee

me and my mates cheesed the poo poo out of wheat and chaff with the elf

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

We had ourselves a hunting dog. The elf was gliding along the ground until she went off a ledge and went back to normal.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just saw the finale of supply and demand not have roger appear. I didn't even know that was possible.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Just saw the finale of supply and demand not have roger appear. I didn't even know that was possible.

This was the only way I've ever completed S&D on cata. Roll of the dice.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
Have goons abandoned this game? Every time I look the group chat is empty and so is mumble. I'm really tired of bad pubbies :(

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I still play regularly, but at weird hours. Feel free to add total eclipse of the fart. Still just tooling around in nightmare mostly.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

redpleb posted:

Have goons abandoned this game? Every time I look the group chat is empty and so is mumble. I'm really tired of bad pubbies :(

I need to stop being a bad person and show up on mumble, especially now that the inability of one of my friends to not be an rear end in a top hat when drunk means I pretty much can't assemble three other friends who own the game and will talk to each other.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I keep meaning to play, but then I have to go save some stupid settlers from another kidnapping. This Fallout 4 is a trap I tells you!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Dumb question, but how do I know when I have successfully headshotted something like a Roger or Sturmvermin?

Is there some indicator? Because they're not going down in one hit, and since I have decrepit reflexes and visual recognition skills (and since they don't stand still), I'm having a hard time telling if I'm doing it right.

Yes, I know, "Did you hit them in the head?" But obviously, that is too difficult to tell for me. :)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Dumb question, but how do I know when I have successfully headshotted something like a Roger or Sturmvermin?

Is there some indicator? Because they're not going down in one hit, and since I have decrepit reflexes and visual recognition skills (and since they don't stand still), I'm having a hard time telling if I'm doing it right.

Yes, I know, "Did you hit them in the head?" But obviously, that is too difficult to tell for me. :)

I don't think you'll really get a conclusive response for Roger, but Stormvermin will react, depending on the weapon. You may cut their head off, you might crush their skull, or blow their head off. If you are using a weapon that does not have Armor Piercing, then the fact it shows blood and they recoil instead of your attack bouncing off harmlessly is an indicator that you were successful hitting their head.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

I think the crosshair grows an extra pair of legs if you get a headshot. Like, it gets two extra notches on it when you hit something, and then another two on top of that if you scored a headshot.
Handguns and crossbows will drop stormvermin with a single headshot regardless of weapon quality/difficulty. Maybe not a white handgun on cataclysm mode but I'm not mad enough to try that one. Longbows require at least two good headshots

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Question about ranged weapon penetration. If I have a weapon like a crossbow that has innate target penetration, or something else that happens to roll the Rupture ability, do all the targets hit take the same damage, or is damage reduced for each rat that the projectile passes through?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

I'm fairly certain everything it hits takes 100% of the damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Metrohunter posted:

I'm fairly certain everything it hits takes 100% of the damage

Yeah like I've got a handgun that can shoot through rats and if they are lined up it kills two rats easily

• Locked thread