Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Nah man you missed the best quote from there:

quote:

Hurr durr I'm a plane my wings can't move hurr durr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

simplefish posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35097650

Drones must be registered from next Monday
Not "drones," ALL sUAS between .55lbs and 55lbs must be registered. It doesn't matter what it is or how you fly it, for fun or for profit. Even little Timmy's balsa plane flown at an AMA field. So much for the congressional orders to the FAA to not try to regulate hobby flight.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

The Ferret King posted:

I'm sure jet pilots could clarify this if I get it wrong. But, modern airliners compute the amount of runway needed to take off, plus a reserve. They then adjust the takeoff power setting for the engines to maximize fuel economy.

So, even when taxiing all the way to the end of a runway, your modern airliner isn't necessarily planning on using all of that runway, nor is it planning on lifting off as soon as technically possible. So, if a time advantage is to be gained by taking an adequate intersection departure, it's not so different than the accepted practice of using less than 100% of available engine power while taking off full length.

Its not necessarily the airplane thats doing the calculations for the amount of runway required. Sure, most airliners' FMC's are capable of determining a balanced field length (i.e., the amount of runway needed to takeoff and climb to a height of 35' is the same for it to accelerate, lose an engine at V1 and stop) but many airlines will use some kind of runway analysis that takes into account many hundreds of variables to determine just how much runway you need and how much engine thrust you'll use. I think what happened with the Qatari 777 in Miami was that they fat fingered the FMC in a certain way and thought they had performance data for the intersection takeoff when in reality they didn't. I don't remember the specifics as it was something particular to the 777 and how the company operated them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

simplefish posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35097650

Drones must be registered from next Monday

Cool. Now do guns.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vitamin J posted:

Not "drones," ALL sUAS between .55lbs and 55lbs must be registered. It doesn't matter what it is or how you fly it, for fun or for profit. Even little Timmy's balsa plane flown at an AMA field. So much for the congressional orders to the FAA to not try to regulate hobby flight.

I actually like the idea of putting a real official FAA registration number on my foam Hobbyking motor-glider :3:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Vitamin J posted:

I thought this couldn't be right, so I went and looked.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856

Yeeeeeeup. Fortuneatly(?) it's :fivebux: per older than 13 owner and not per model airplane, but I predict that the AMA is going to explode.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Vitamin J posted:

If Timmy makes a plane out of balsa that weighs half a loving pound, he earned that merit badge.

Or he's poo poo at aero engineering. Either way.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 15, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Anything with a motor in it will weight more than that.

simplefish posted:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/tzxTiGm

Who needs autorotation? I think a lot of people in this thread forget that each rotor blade is like a little wing, and with 5 of them locked in position, even large helicopters can glide with a surprising degree of manourvrability

Did you copy this from somewhere? Or just forget that half the "wings" are facing the wrong direction?

Edit: V Phew!

Godholio fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 15, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

...it was a joke

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't get what the issue is with model aircraft registration, really. The FAA wants you to pay a 5 dollar fee (which is waived if you do it in the first month) to get a number that you stick on the side of your plane or quadcopter. Beyond that, nothing has changed. Surely the AMA greybeards with $20,000 quarter-scale P-51s won't have an issue with that sort of thing. After all, it's one step closer to flying a real plane.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

VOR LOC posted:

but many airlines will use some kind of runway analysis that takes into account many hundreds of variables to determine just how much runway you need and how much engine thrust you'll use.

Are those figures that are provided by the FMC after setting parameters? If so, I kinda still call that the airplane doing the calculations. Sorry if I'm just mixing up the terminology.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Ardeem posted:

I thought this couldn't be right, so I went and looked.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856

Yeeeeeeup. Fortuneatly(?) it's :fivebux: per older than 13 owner and not per model airplane, but I predict that the AMA is going to explode.
Wow, that's dumber than I thought. This process *only* applies to hobbyists. They still have not released rules for commercial use.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is how all my planes in KSP take off.. Just roll until the end of the runway and get into the air by having the runway drop off beneath you. :v:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Are those figures that are provided by the FMC after setting parameters? If so, I kinda still call that the airplane doing the calculations. Sorry if I'm just mixing up the terminology.
The calculations that I described for airliners are typically done by a software application used by dispatch or generated by an EFB, the FMC in most airliners is still extremely limited when it comes to runway performance... even the ones on the 737-800 which are configured to provide V-speeds when entering weights, configuration and conditions do so from tables which are the same ones which are in the QRH. The A350/A380 (and 787?) have brought about a lot of new stuff related to runway performance.

The most advanced thing I have seen myself is a countdown of runway distance still available during a low-visibility takeoff as part of the LVTO mode in a HUD of an E190, and the Collins Vision FMS which will give you the maximum weight you can uplift from a particular runway for the configuration and conditions you entered, and will let you iterate different derated thrust settings to find the minimum takeoff thrust setting you can get away with. But this is on a bizjet.... I have seen no such thing on an airliner yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What about lighter‐than‐air craft? Do I get to consider them zero pounds?

I want some æro lawyers on this, stat!

Seriously, though, I know the answer is “no”, I just don’t know why, specifically. Or, in the words of Neal Savoy, “We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, some type of charge will be filed.”

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Not even gonna lie, this is bad rear end

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/14/aviation/windspeed-skydeck-seats-on-top-of-aircraft/index.html

Edit: FAA Drone rules are unenforceable. They WAYYYYY overstepped their bounds on this one.

McDeth fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 15, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This seems like a concept from the ’60s, when fuel was cheap and cameras were not.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

McDeth posted:

Edit: FAA Drone rules are unenforceable. They WAYYYYY overstepped their bounds on this one.

I don't want to be the defendant in the test case here, though.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Sagebrush posted:

I don't get what the issue is with model aircraft registration, really. The FAA wants you to pay a 5 dollar fee (which is waived if you do it in the first month) to get a number that you stick on the side of your plane or quadcopter. Beyond that, nothing has changed. Surely the AMA greybeards with $20,000 quarter-scale P-51s won't have an issue with that sort of thing. After all, it's one step closer to flying a real plane.
It's not the end of the world or even a big deal, we'll see if that changes.

The problem is that Congress' FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 explicitly said that the FAA can't regulate hobby flight and to release commercial UAS rules and licensing structure.

So basically this registration program is the opposite of what Congress told them to do. Commercial rules are still not here.

And I believe a LTA craft would be fine as the only specification really is "weight," not mass.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Platystemon posted:

What about lighter‐than‐air craft? Do I get to consider them zero pounds?

I want some æro lawyers on this, stat!

Seriously, though, I know the answer is “no”, I just don’t know why, specifically. Or, in the words of Neal Savoy, “We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, some type of charge will be filed.”

They could have used either of two definitions,
total weight of the aircraft at the time of takeoff (which would include lifting gas)
or
the weight of an empty aircraft (which arguably would not include lifting gas)

They used the first definition for the rule.
http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Exactly how often do drones that people gently caress around with actually get recovered by authorities to have their registration number checked in the first place? If it doesn't crash, you need to shoot it out of the sky first. Unless you feel like canvassing door-to-door and asking everyone if they have a green quadrotor.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
As an anti-drone guy (i hate your drones): Don't register your drones.

The registration rules they came up with are even worse than the people who flew drones too close to airports.

Rules and enforcement should have been the 50th step, with education being the 1st.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I hate the term drone being slapped all over anything radio-controlled. Lots of hobby stuff is too dumb to be called a drone.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Captain Apollo posted:

Rules and enforcement should have been the 50th step, with education going against the wall being the 1st.

Fixed. Drone nuts are almost as bad as gun nuts when it comes to their toys.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Behold the world’s shortest commercial flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwyVWaCAD2A

There are runways longer than that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Platystemon posted:

For when the 10 minute boat ride is just way too time consuming?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

Fixed. Drone nuts are almost as bad as gun nuts when it comes to their toys.

Ban all nongovernmental and non-commercial flight. Hobby pilots are a drain on ATC, regulatory, and rescue/investigation agencies. All air use should be prioritized for corporate profits and government utility.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Vitamin J posted:

It's not the end of the world or even a big deal, we'll see if that changes.

The problem is that Congress' FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 explicitly said that the FAA can't regulate hobby flight and to release commercial UAS rules and licensing structure.

So basically this registration program is the opposite of what Congress told them to do. Commercial rules are still not here.

And I believe a LTA craft would be fine as the only specification really is "weight," not mass.

No, the law didn't say that the FAA can't regulate "hobby flight." That is loving absurd. People fly four-engine jetliners and MiG-21s - real ones - as hobby aircraft.

What the law actually exempts is "model aircraft," flown for non-commercial purposes under the auspices and rules of a national club. It remains to be seen whether the FAA's argument that they can regulate aircraft generally will hold up, but if it doesn't, then it would be very easy for them to say, "OK, actual models of full-size aircraft flown for hobby purposes are exempt, but your DJI Phantom must still be registered."

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly how often do drones that people gently caress around with actually get recovered by authorities to have their registration number checked in the first place? If it doesn't crash, you need to shoot it out of the sky first. Unless you feel like canvassing door-to-door and asking everyone if they have a green quadrotor.

More often than you'd think. For instance, some anonymous idiot crashed their quadrotor in Seattle not too long ago, trying to fly through the spokes of our big Ferris wheel. (It crashed in a waiting area and hosed up a picnic table but missed hitting people) A registered serial number takes that case from "no idea who did it and no leads" to a name and address. It's not a perfect system, but removing anonymity from the equation will do a lot to help keep the "wow, this is just like a video game with great graphics!" crowd under control.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Ban all nongovernmental and non-commercial flight. Hobby pilots are a drain on ATC, regulatory, and rescue/investigation agencies. All air use should be prioritized for corporate profits and government utility.

....Sully posts here now?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

EightBit posted:

I hate the term drone being slapped all over anything radio-controlled. Lots of hobby stuff is too dumb to be called a drone.

Radio controlled? The rule includes control line model airplanes, too. (so long as they're over 250g)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Most commercial flights spend more time taxiing than that entire flight took.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

joat mon posted:

Radio controlled? The rule includes control line model airplanes, too. (so long as they're over 250g)

Does it have to have an engine? If not, would this technically then include large kites? If so, that's pretty funny.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

Does it have to have an engine? If not, would this technically then include large kites? If so, that's pretty funny.

Thank god baseballs are less than 250 grams.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The Locator posted:

Airplanes need engines, aircraft do not. An aircraft is simply "a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air."
Kites under 5 pounds do not have flight regulations, but this new rule would seem to apply to registration of a kite if it and its string weighed more than 250g.

quote:

If the unmanned aircraft is tethered by the cable in such a way that the cable, securely attached to an immoveable object, prevents the unmanned aircraft from flying away in the event of loss of positive control, only the portion of the cable which may be lift aloft by the small unmanned aircraft must be added to the weight of the unmanned aircraft when determining total weight.
http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf

mlmp08 posted:

Thank god baseballs are less than 250 grams.
What about shot put?
Perhaps it would turn on the difference between flight 'through' the air vs. flight 'in' the air.
How long must a 'flight' be to be considered 'flight?'

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 15, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

reply is not edit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

For when the 10 minute boat ride is just way too time consuming?

I imagine nobody gets off after that hop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Space Gopher posted:

More often than you'd think. For instance, some anonymous idiot crashed their quadrotor in Seattle not too long ago, trying to fly through the spokes of our big Ferris wheel. (It crashed in a waiting area and hosed up a picnic table but missed hitting people) A registered serial number takes that case from "no idea who did it and no leads" to a name and address. It's not a perfect system, but removing anonymity from the equation will do a lot to help keep the "wow, this is just like a video game with great graphics!" crowd under control.

I can't see it being a huge benefit, since that relies on people who are stupid enough to pull dangerous stunts or harassment with their drones and smart enough to consider the risk of crashing and having the cops run their registration number after seizing it. A pretty hefty percentage of fatal car crashes involve unlicensed drivers, since people who are dangerous behind the wheel will probably just get back in and keep driving when their license gets suspended anyway.

It just feels like a feel-good reflex to the "We must do SOMETHING!" pearl clutching that recently came up about the latest buzzword risk.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do they have a 'device' definition? I heard someone mention that you didn't need to register anything that didn't have 'communication electronics' but that seems like it's probably inaccurate.

I wonder how model rocketry fits into all this. You could definitely build something that weighs more than 250grams at launch, but loses mass as it expends fuel.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf posted:

The definition of unmanned aircraft as “an aircraft operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft” is a statutory definition, and as such, this rule will finalize that definition as proposed.23

So, I guess normal RC models are exempt, but model rockets, freeflight models, javilins and cabers still count.

*edit* or does radio control count as indirect?

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ardeem posted:

So, I guess normal RC models are exempt, but model rockets, freeflight models, javilins and cabers still count.

*edit* or does radio control count as indirect?

What matters is that the human intervener is "within or on" the aircraft, so I don't think this is possible with most RC models.