Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also ya we get it buses are bad, but they are also cheap and vital if you actually want to move people around and dont have 500 billion or a subway system already built pre-depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cygni posted:

also ya we get it buses are bad, but they are also cheap and vital if you actually want to move people around and dont have 500 billion or a subway system already built pre-depression

i just get tired of transit utopianism

you see the reason people drive cars is that they're dumb, and cyclists and transit advocates just aren't preachy enough! that must be it. if we just yell at shaggar some more he'll sell one of his cars and commute to work by unicycle!

buses are really bad and the shaggars of the world aren't wrong. (they just forget about the old people, the young people, and the poor people, who either can not or shoul not drive)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yep, I take BART into work/SF because it's actually on time most of the time and relatively quick (compared to traffic). though winter time on BART is never pleasant because you get a lot of "ol pukeys" or a non-stop cascading symphony of cough and sneezes

but I never take AC Transit because it would be several orders of magnitude slower, and much less pleasant, even though everything is relatively well serviced on paper. I'll do Muni on the occasion but each time I've mostly regretted it. Used to take Sonoma Regional Transit for school when I was younger but had to stop because I would often end up waiting longer for the bus to arrive than if I had just driven to/from at that point, and it was bad enough to pretty much sour me on buses.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to be clear about where i am coming from, i am not saying that you shouldn't ride a bus. and investing in bus systems is still a worthwhile activity.

i just want to point out the very real reasons that millions of people will not ride a bus. it doesn't matter how nice the buses are, or how many destinations they reach, or how well designed the system is. a large fraction of the population will never ride, because the downsides of buses outweigh any upside, period.

that is ok

it is still possible to have a transit system that improves everyone's lives even if half of adults won't ride it

I agree that buses aren't always great and are normally slow, but measures like high frequency, overlapping routes and real time arrival boards can go a long way to making them convenient for many types of journey.

They are also important for filling in the gaps in the transit network so that it is comprehensive enough that a car is not needed, which has follow on benefits for public transport and the city in general

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also, when the alternative is paying $30+ for parking and spending an hour in traffic just to get into/out of the city core during rush hour, people who can do otherwise will voluntarily take the bus. in fact they'll even pay double fare for express service on a bus.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in this mythological universe where a bus that doesn't suck exists then yes im sure people use buses instead of sitting in traffic.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

infernal machines posted:

also, when the alternative is paying $30+ for parking and spending an hour in traffic just to get into/out of the city core during rush hour, people who can do otherwise will voluntarily take the bus. in fact they'll even pay double fare for express service on a bus.

The popularity of some park&ride schemes is evidence of this

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

in this mythological universe where a bus that doesn't suck exists then yes im sure people use buses instead of sitting in traffic.

people who are already in cars voluntarily get out of them and pay for a bus to go to places like York and Oxford, so I think you might be talking about this universe!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just lol if u can't comprehend using a combined system of private cars, commercial cars, light rail, commuter rail, rental bikes, and buses as makes the most sense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

it's a mythological universe with a population density higher than 40 people per sq. mile. i.e. the civilized world

the thing is the buses don't have to not suck, they're still better than the alternative, which is sitting in traffic for an hour after work to get the half mile to the highway while your blood slowly boils in your veins.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sitting on a bus stuck in traffic is most definitely not better than sitting in a car stuck in traffic.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

see, we give buses a ROW lane during rush hour. anyone parking in it gets towed immediately, and anyone driving in it gets a whopping fine. turns out enforcement is very effective, and at worst revenue neutral

so buses don't sit in traffic

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
you can also fit the buses with a device to prioritize traffic lights for the buses to speed things up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
what if a bus had cool helicorper rotors like a chinook and could fly + hover

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Smythe posted:

they'd get fuckin' rekd on the streetcar lines

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Smythe posted:

or a ramp at every intersection so it can jump over the traffic and not have to stop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

sitting on a bus stuck in traffic is most definitely not better than sitting in a car stuck in traffic.

wrongo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

they'd get fuckin' rekd on the streetcar lines

ok what if it was like the f35s vtol turbine thing. that would be epic

Verdafolio posted:

or a ramp at every intersection so it can jump over the traffic and not have to stop

in soviet russia, bus jump over car

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
imagine a bus jumping over a bunch of flaming monster trucks. that would be so sick

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
fill the whole bus up with a giant engine. i bet it could go FTL

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

see, we give buses a ROW lane during rush hour. anyone parking in it gets towed immediately, and anyone driving in it gets a whopping fine. turns out enforcement is very effective, and at worst revenue neutral

so buses don't sit in traffic

this works great on highways

practically useless on surface streets (mta found a 15% improvement)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

people who are already in cars voluntarily get out of them and pay for a bus to go to places like York and Oxford, so I think you might be talking about this universe!

intercity buses are a whole different ballgame than transit buses

it's fairly obvious that people will pay for (some) intercity buses: the government hasn't had to acquire intercity bus corporations to keep the service alive.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is this mebes kuz new yorkers are fuckers of the highest order and probs block the bus non-stop while leaning out their window and shouting?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

is this mebes kuz new yorkers are fuckers of the highest order and probs block the bus non-stop while leaning out their window and shouting?

it's partly this. it's not practical to use movable jersey barriers to enforce lanes the way they do on a highway, so people will sometimes block the bus lane.

but it's more the problems we already discussed: dwell time, gridlock, fixed routes. buses on surface streets have insurmountable problems.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this is called a commuter bus, and people already ride those voluntarily

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

15% is not "practically useless".

these are things we have in toronto, i use them. they work, and they work better than a cab in the same traffic because of the ROW

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is called a commuter bus, and people already ride those voluntarily

yes, that's the point. people do ride them voluntarily

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
commuter buses to move rich people in and out of city centers help with traffic, but they don't really change anything about the transportation network

those commuters still use a car in their suburban home, and they still think of themselves as drivers first

a commuter bus turns very few 2 car households into 1 car households. it neither creates nor assists the 0-car households.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Smythe posted:

imagine a bus jumping over a bunch of flaming monster trucks. that would be so sick

they do this already

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

15% is not "practically useless"

a 15% improvement reported by a biased source, costing millions of dollars and extremely scarce road space

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that 15% probably also came at a cost of 30% increased car traffic on the remaining lanes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

shagger was wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

that 15% probably also came at a cost of 30% increased car traffic on the remaining lanes

that's fine, because the bus is moving significantly more people than each inconvenienced vehicle. that's the whole point actually.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

shagger was wrong

maybe if you like sitting shoulder to shoulder with stinky people a bus is for you. cars are infinitely more comfortable.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

maybe if you like sitting shoulder to shoulder with stinky people a bus is for you. cars are infinitely more comfortable.

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

that's fine, because the bus is moving significantly more people than each inconvenienced vehicle. that's the whole point actually.

ok this is a fair point. 15% is a lot more than nothing. i wouldn't want to see the mta give up on express buses because the improvements are more modest than hoped for.

but it doesn't change the picture for a person like shaggar. and there are lots of fuckin shaggars out there. 115% of way the gently caress too slow and unreliable is still too slow and unreliable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

if a bus/train car is totally empty, it's because there's a stinky person on board. so you're either shoulder to shoulder OR there's a horrifying stench.

fortunately the combination of the two is very unlikely. herd instinct for the win i guess

also reading the newspaper during your commute owns owns owns, even if you're standing on a bus while you do it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that 15% increase is also still only between 2 points that aren't the ones you want to start at or go to and the bus is still smelly and cramped.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if a bus/train car is totally empty, it's because there's a stinky person on board. so you're either shoulder to shoulder OR there's a horrifying stench.

fortunately the combination of the two is very unlikely. herd instinct for the win i guess

all of the buses are empty which makes the 15% increase pointless cause everyone is driving and you've made the cars less efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

that 15% increase is also still only between 2 points that aren't the ones you want to start at or go to and the bus is still smelly and cramped.

the 2 points thing is something that actually can be fixed, and good bus systems fix it

it's not impractical to have every single home and business in an area within walking distance of a bus stop, and many cities manage exactly that.

• Locked thread