Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Toxxupation posted:

I got cooler and cooler on the season as season 2 started using more and more plot crutches and narrative shortcuts- seriously, someone explain to me how two cops in a cop car who knew exactly where a suspect they were apprehending was going to the point that one of them literally says "don't bother" as the suspect escapes on foot got beaten to a location by somebody on foot
They drove off in the other direction, I assumed Lou was getting Hank medical attention or something. Either he didn't expect Ed and Peggy to flee or he thought Peggy was already dead.

I had no desire to see them rattle off a list of supporting cast. I don't need them to show me what Karl is up to, I assume he's getting drunk and ranting about the constitution and repeatedly telling his story to absolutely anyone who'll listen. I guess they could have shown Charlie getting booked or something but it would have been similarly pointless. I do think it's funny that you don't like that they showed what happened to Hanzee while also going on about how awful it is that they didn't do the same thing for everyone else.

I would have liked the Hank monologue about the symbols more if not for the previous episode. It would have been great to have all these hints about aliens and then the most explicit one is just some dude trying to be picture-book Tolkein. But then they had a flying saucer on screen so oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Karl was the only character to get some more lines in during a credits sequence. With that and his heart to heart with Betsy, what else was there for him to say/do? And Charlie is just in jail. The last remaining Gerhardt. Maybe there's a future story there, but for 1979, his story was done.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Those secondary characters did get closure - just not all in the last episode. Karl, for instance, gets his in the scene a few episodes back when he tries to run the John McCain speech by Betsy. That scene pretty much wraps things up for his character, so I didn't need him to show up again in the last episode to get any closure on his character. Likewise, Reagan's scene in the bathroom with Lou put a button on his character's purpose to the story. I mean, Offerman and Campbell are fantastic and I love watching them play those characters, but why go back to them when their purposes to the overall narrative are complete and hey got perfect sendoffs?

Everything felt wrapped up enough to bring closure while not overstaying its welcome, which is all I can ask out of an ending. Fargo struck that balance beautifully.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
i still wanna know what the gently caress "noreen basically ghosted out of the narrative" is supposed to mean

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Echoing what somebody said earlier about being astounded at just how confident this entire season felt. They knew the story they wanted to tell, they knew how they wanted to tell it, and there's almost a swagger to the way they went about doing it. It's the kind of show where the huge amount of effort they put into everything made it all somehow seem effortless.

Visually and audibly this season was a treat, the direction and editing and cinematography were wonderful and the acting just excellent. That final conversation between Peggy and Lou where she finally manages to articulate the frustration of her life only to be shut down by Lou was just perfect - she was absolutely right and justified to feel frustrated in her life and it was great that she could finally articulate that.... but the price of getting there was too high, and she was so wrapped up in her own problems that she still couldn't grasp the enormity of what she'd done. People were dead, and even if Rye was a murderous monster he was still HER victim.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Illinois Smith posted:

i still wanna know what the gently caress "noreen basically ghosted out of the narrative" is supposed to mean

She's a gynecologist in Beverly Hills, California!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jerusalem posted:

Visually and audibly this season was a treat, the direction and editing and cinematography were wonderful and the acting just excellent. That final conversation between Peggy and Lou where she finally manages to articulate the frustration of her life only to be shut down by Lou was just perfect - she was absolutely right and justified to feel frustrated in her life and it was great that she could finally articulate that.... but the price of getting there was too high, and she was so wrapped up in her own problems that she still couldn't grasp the enormity of what she'd done. People were dead, and even if Rye was a murderous monster he was still HER victim.
I like how Hank's language thing ties into Ed & Peggy talking past eachother all season until they're in the meat locker and Ed goes into Real Talk I'm Gonna Die in Two Minutes mode. If the two of them had a better way to communicate none of this season would have happened because they'd either be living in California already or Peggy would've waited for the cops instead of using Rye's body as her ticket out of their set future.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 15, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's paraphrased, but Ed's,"The best I could hope for would be that things would go back to the way they were, and that wouldn't be what you wanted" was heartbreaking.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ed was a standout character for me during Season 2. I mean, all the characters were amazing in their own way, but I objectively started out kind of disliking Ed for how much of a big galoot he was but that all changed by the time episode 2 finished and there was that tense as all gently caress moment between Ed and Lou inside the butcher shop when Ed was busy dicing up Rye just minutes before.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Those secondary characters did get closure - just not all in the last episode. Karl, for instance, gets his in the scene a few episodes back when he tries to run the John McCain speech by Betsy. That scene pretty much wraps things up for his character, so I didn't need him to show up again in the last episode to get any closure on his character. Likewise, Reagan's scene in the bathroom with Lou put a button on his character's purpose to the story. I mean, Offerman and Campbell are fantastic and I love watching them play those characters, but why go back to them when their purposes to the overall narrative are complete and hey got perfect sendoffs?

Everything felt wrapped up enough to bring closure while not overstaying its welcome, which is all I can ask out of an ending. Fargo struck that balance beautifully.

I get some people's annoyance that we didn't get more from characters like Karl. I kind of figured Karl would have a bigger role after having a huge part in the jail siege. In the end, that was the entirety of his character arc (except for the bit about breakfast). But it still feels odd not seeing him again.

Perhaps the "maybe it was Utah" dream sequence would have been better served at the end rather than the beginning. That would have made it easier to shoehorn in some of the secondary character fates.

Then again, Noah Hawley's vision for the show might have everyone's fates spelled out. You just have to watch all 5 seasons.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I guess I just don't really see why we'd need to check back in with Karl at the end. Offerman got the perfect little Coen Bros. side character treatment where he's introduced, is in a handful of scenes, gets to be funny and emotional but doesn't overstay his welcome ... And that's it. Because it's not his loving story. When Lou & Betsy get up in the morning after the episode ends he'll still be in town, getting on with his life, drunk as ever.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol the kid with the hand is stuck in prison without a lawyer.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Illinois Smith posted:

I guess I just don't really see why we'd need to check back in with Karl at the end. Offerman got the perfect little Coen Bros. side character treatment where he's introduced, is in a handful of scenes, gets to be funny and emotional but doesn't overstay his welcome ... And that's it. Because it's not his loving story.

Ok, the problem is that Fargo the film did that with one character and it was novel and interesting and all that, but the point is they did it with one character. Everything else in the film was resolved. And actually they even resolved his story (in a phone call). In S2, there was just way too much poo poo left up in the air and in my opinion it suffered for it.

Look, it was definitely great TV but criticism of it isn't completely baseless. I mean people here are basically (jokingly I hope) saying only a moron wouldn't find this season to be A grade masturbation material. It was still better than just about everything else on TV, but there is a lot to criticize here.

When it was all over, it felt like he had way too many ideas and not enough time to really give them all the proper time and respect. S1 had a little of that, but S2 just went WAY overboard. The thing is, if you are going to ask your audience to give you 10 hours of their life, and during that 10 hours you hurl a bunch of story starts at them, its fair for them to want at least half of them to be wrapped up. You can't just wink and say "wasn't that wacky?" and alls good.

Just to be clear, again, I really enjoyed this season. But I have gripes, and I'm not a loving idiot because I have gripes. Neither is anyone else.

You know what's funny, as I typed this I realized I had the same complaints about the Hunger Games movies, which I had the misfortune of seeing every one of them. From the very first film I felt like I was being subjected to some 13 year old creative writing student just hurling all of these threadless ideas at me, like "and then they went into the tunnels, and then the ALIENS came, and then they blew up the thing, and then...." until you just want to strangle the kid and yell get to the loving point. There was a lot of that here, to be perfectly honest. If you described this season to someone in 3 minutes and included all of the side stuff, you'd sound like you were describing some teen alt fiction book.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
At the risk of being made fun of...

When Ted Danson was discussing the universal language and said "I couldn't stop thinking about it" I kind of took that as, the idea was put there externally and the fact he couldn't stop thinking about it was out of his control?

Maybe I'm just reaching for ways to tie the crazy alphabet characters in with the aliens but my mind instantly went to: Aliens trying to install a universal language so it's easier to communicate when they do make contact.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The last episode was ep 9. this was just an eplouge bonus.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aliens will probably come back in Season 3 and fly into and shoot everyone because that's all they see us doing for the past three or four decades in South/North Dakota and that's got to be the best way to communicate with us, right?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Season 3's shtick is gonna be ghosts.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KoRMaK posted:

Lol the kid with the hand is stuck in prison without a lawyer.

Oh poo poo forgot about him. Season 3 starts with that guy getting out of prison, calling it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Also the prison Kirsten Dunst was hoping for Alcatraz right?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

TheBizzness posted:

Probably San Quentin. It's also right on the bay.

I first saw Patrick Wilson in 1999 in a New York Theater Workshop production of the musical "Bright Lights, Big City" (he's on the soundtrack, too). It's so very surreal to me that this great song and dance man is in so many things that I thoroughly love. He's great, and he was excellent in this season. He's got some very tough competition for the Golden Globe (I don't think he'll win, but a GG nomination can often lead to an Emmy nomination).

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Jake Armitage posted:

Ok, the problem is that Fargo the film did that with one character and it was novel and interesting and all that, but the point is they did it with one character. Everything else in the film was resolved. And actually they even resolved his story (in a phone call).
Okay so give me an example of a Karl scene they could've crammed into the finale that would resolve his story. Bonus points if you include what his story is, because from my perspective it was "guy gets introduced as a drunk conspiracy wacko, turns out to be a good friend, a genuinely funny guy and someone who is capable of keeping his cool under pressure".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"ed is a cow" --noah hawley

yep

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"ed is a cow" --noah hawley

yep

Died amongst his brothers

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Died amongst his brothers
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :vince:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Man this was basically perfect television. I love the way Hawley embraces the Coen's comfort with absurdity and ambiguity. I love the way Hawley and the Coens waltz right up to nihilism only to juke past it and give hope. I love the way S2 left me wanting more and yet it was 'complete'. Bra-loving-vo to all!

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

TheBizzness posted:

I was thinking she meant Alcatraz, but that was long closed by then so it must be San Quentin.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I just watched the last episode.

Oh yah, you betcha, ya.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really wonder if they're going to pick up this story where they left off for S3 instead of having a new set of characters in a different time frame. It just feels like Ted Danson's language explanation was bullshit and was tied up in the last episode poorly due to time constraints.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
they already said season 3 is going to take place in 2008 and that there wont necessarily be any recurring characters from season 1 or 2

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I really appreciate how this episode finally let me get a handle on Milligan's character. He's been so hard to read all season, not quite a Malvo/Hanzee kind of other-worldly dangerous, but a strange guy. But with that office in Kansas City it finally slipped into place for me. He's a warrior poet who wants to be king and gets to be none of those things, kind of like Peggy and her desire to be the grand heroine when she busts out of the freezer.

This show is so good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rediscover posted:

they already said season 3 is going to take place in 2008 and that there wont necessarily be any recurring characters from season 1 or 2

2010, I think.

Specifically, they said it's not about previous characters but that they may appear. Only episode 1 is written apparently, so little is decided yet.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
There is one thing that would have made this season better

More Reagan.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

There is one thing that would have made this season better

More Reagan.

Good thing you get to see Reagan in all his glory killing deadites every saturday

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

rediscover posted:

I've read 2010. It's supposed to be about the "selfie generation" and how it ties in with the theme of miscommunication. I'm predicting murder-by-selfie-stick and an epic struggle for youtube views.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who skipped season 1 because he doesn't like BBT, I have to say I'm so bummed about going back to modern day because goddamn did I love the period nature of this season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who skipped season 1 because he doesn't like BBT, I have to say I'm so bummed about going back to modern day because goddamn did I love the period nature of this season.

In all seriousness, even if you can't stand BBT so much that you just skip every scene he's in, the rest of the season is still incredibly good and interesting with some amazing performances. Particularly from Allison Tolman and Martin Freeman.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

seriously recommending someone watch Fargo while skipping Billy Bob Thornton is like recommending some watch Doctor Who while skipping Peter Capaldi

the correct answer is to just watch Fargo season 1 cause it's fantastic television and thornton does an electrifying performance as Malvo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

seriously recommending someone watch Fargo while skipping Billy Bob Thornton is like recommending some watch Doctor Who while skipping Peter Capaldi

The point I was trying to make was that BBT isn't the be-all/end-all of the show, even though he got a lot of the initial focus. There's so much more to it than that, and it would be a pity to forego watching such an amazing show for no other reason than dislike of BBT.

As in, the show is so good that even if you cut out/skipped all the BBT scenes (which you shouldn't!) it would still be an incredible show.... so watch the whole thing!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

centaurtainment posted:

I agree, maybe freeze frame on each character and tell us what happened to them with a little piece of text! "Senator and Mrs. John Blutarsky." Because how else would you get a sense of closure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
I watched all of season 1 as rapt as anything, but by its end I felt it was ultimately sort of an unfocused mishmash of Coens tropes. Season 2 was much better, had its own unique vibe, and aside from maybe Betsy's cancer, didn't have any subplots that didn't drive the main story forward. Season one spent a lot of time with Oliver Platt that could've been swapped out with anything else.

• Locked thread