Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
WIP of an Ork Kommando

I love this kit, never painted orks before, but i felt like taking a break from my ad-mech and had it laying around from a trade some years prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Felime posted:

If you're going big on mixing, getting a set of basic golden colors or something will definitely give you the basics. Or just find the materials list for an intro to painting class and the colors out of that that look useful. That'll generally ensure you get a good set of colors that will mix well to do most things you want.

As a snobbysnob who's done traditional art, miniature paints annoy me to no end because they don't actually list the pigments in them on the label, so apart from siennas, umbers, ochres and ultramarine, I don't really know what's in my paints! Makes it hard to recommend what vallejo ones are actually good for mixing from a small selection. (And makes it hard to know what greens and blues are pthalos so I can keep those fuckers in a locked box far away from any other paints they might contaminate. Possibly a slight exaggeration.)

In general, though, traditional art colors are made for using a dozen or two colors to make every color you use, and the vast majority of model colors are pre-mixes to do specific jobs. Great at that job, but it makes them a bitch to mix most of the time.

I agree. Vallejo is the least worst offender because the regular model paints aren't cute trademarked names, but that doesn't mean you know what the pigments actually are. But, here's a PDF from VA's website about the pigments they use in their model paints: http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/c344a5302d2c93d3c59fc8f205370a4e/Pigments-used-in-ModelColor.pdf

But when I took color theory in 2007 or any other painting class, I never learned anything about the specific pigments and how to use them correctly for mixing. It was more about matching color than what the gently caress we were actually doing with our materials and why. But my color teacher was the kind of person who gave no shits about that kind of thing.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JackMann posted:

It's actually a tombstone. It's a pastiche of A Christmas Carol, where the Ghost of Christmas Future shows Scrooge his own grave.

Ok, then I think put him closer behind the figure, offset to be looking over his shoulder (or gesturing, I can't really see the figure you're using as the ghost) as if they're together.

Alternatively, have the monster up by the grave with an open stance--gesturing and looking toward it while looking as though he sees the cloaked figure, who stands further back from it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hey all; does anyone know if there's a Vallejo Air colour that's the same as their panzer aces Feldgrau?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

Hey all; does anyone know if there's a Vallejo Air colour that's the same as their panzer aces Feldgrau?

I'm at work, so I can't make absolutely certain, but I think this pdf from the Vallejo website should help you locate an equivalent, or at least point you in the right direction.  (If nothing else, you could grab a bottle of airbrush medium at your local art store and thin the Panzer Aces Feldgrau down to airbrushable consistency, about the thickness of skim milk.  I grabbed an 8oz. bottle of Golden Airbrush Medium at Michaels several months ago, and I'm still using it.)

Frobbe posted:

WIP of an Ork Kommando 

I love this kit, never painted orks before, but i felt like taking a break from my ad-mech and had it laying around from a trade some years prior.

Orks are the best.  Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

FINALLY got started on painting my Infinity squad but then the dog wanted all the attention so all I got done was one coat and a lot of wasted paint.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Cat Face Joe posted:

FINALLY got started on painting my Infinity squad but then the dog wanted all the attention so all I got done was one coat and a lot of wasted paint.

ORC trooper, right? Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! I'm liking the colour already!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Fanzay posted:

ORC trooper, right? Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! I'm liking the colour already!

Yeah, multirifle ORC from the PanO starter set. I was originally going to paint them all purple and the blue was just a good full model basecoat but I like it more and more.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm at work, so I can't make absolutely certain, but I think this pdf from the Vallejo website should help you locate an equivalent, or at least point you in the right direction.  (If nothing else, you could grab a bottle of airbrush medium at your local art store and thin the Panzer Aces Feldgrau down to airbrushable consistency, about the thickness of skim milk.  I grabbed an 8oz. bottle of Golden Airbrush Medium at Michaels several months ago, and I'm still using it.)

Orks are the best.  Can't wait to see how this turns out!

here's the current status of my kommandos. did the rope bits and first layer on the leathery bits. that'll need highlights next. After that, i think i'll do the metal bits.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 14, 2015

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Star Man posted:

I agree. Vallejo is the least worst offender because the regular model paints aren't cute trademarked names, but that doesn't mean you know what the pigments actually are. But, here's a PDF from VA's website about the pigments they use in their model paints: http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/c344a5302d2c93d3c59fc8f205370a4e/Pigments-used-in-ModelColor.pdf

But when I took color theory in 2007 or any other painting class, I never learned anything about the specific pigments and how to use them correctly for mixing. It was more about matching color than what the gently caress we were actually doing with our materials and why. But my color teacher was the kind of person who gave no shits about that kind of thing.

I don't think anyone ever teaches some "How to use specific pigments" thing, it's more a trial and error and what you get good results from thing. That said, the more pigments involved, the more muddy the color gets in general, and you can never get quite as bright or vibrant a color. That's why some people use actual cadmium paints instead of the blends that are the same color, despite cadmium being fairly toxic (though for painting you can handle it safely) and expensive as poo poo. The blends are pretty much the same color if you put them side by side, but they don't mix the same.

I'm far from an expert, but for mixing colors from a small range of paints, traditional art is where the necessary information is.

Definitely invest in some drying retarder and a wet palette (Or some palette paper on some wet paper towell for the ghetto version) though. Acrylics dry really fast for mixing colors, especially in the tiny quantities for models.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So this Goblin Blood Bowl team has been with me for 8-10 years, and finally had time, energy and willingness to sit down and start painting them.
First batch of 7 complete.

Really happy with how they turned out.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Wierre posted:

So this Goblin Blood Bowl team has been with me for 8-10 years, and finally had time, energy and willingness to sit down and start painting them.

:eyepop:

Nice, dude! Those are amazing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Wierre posted:

You should be happy, they look great.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Wierre posted:

Those are some really good looking gobbos.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Wierre posted:

Awesome gobbos! What's the symbol on the fanatic? Is it a freehand or a stencil?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Wierre posted:

Hot drat, that's awesome!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Okay, did a bit more work on the diorama. Moved some things around based on your feedback.

Red plastic dimmed the light a bit, but I think it gives it a more subtle effect.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Thanks for the compliments guys, it's a much needed confidence booster.

That Italian Guy posted:

Awesome gobbos! What's the symbol on the fanatic? Is it a freehand or a stencil?

It's actually the number 7, each of them got this round back plate where I could put their number except for the fanatic who got it on his shoulder pad instead. (And the ball carrier also got it on his chest plate.)
They are water transfers from the Space Wolf sheet. Didn't want to risk going free hand with the numbering, although it might have been a mistake as my shaky hand could fit the goblin theme.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JackMann posted:

Okay, did a bit more work on the diorama. Moved some things around based on your feedback.

Red plastic dimmed the light a bit, but I think it gives it a more subtle effect.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense to me, now, visually. The monster thing is showing the guy this hellpit, and he's trepidatious. Dog's got made trepidation, yo.

Cool!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Hi all, I'm looking for some inspiration for a good kit/model/project to paint next.

I've been following this thread since Paintvagrant started it and love it but for my sins I rarely post. I'm the guy currently doing the Tau Ghostkeel in digi cam and I've posted historical vechicles in the past too. (The LRDG truck and Corsair etc.)

Basically I'm bored and have no idea what to do next and you guys are a totally repository of awesome modelling knowledge so please suggest me some fun things that I could try. It can be GW not GW, historical, fantasy, sci-fi, anime or whatever, 15mm, 28mm, bigger, 1:48, 1:35 I really don't care what it is as long as it looks like something I haven't really tried before and will look awesome when done. (Also as long as I like it cost is not an issue.)

To prove I am not without precedent in this, the last time I did this in another forum I got a 1500pt Finnish FoW list as a suggestion.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
What's a good source of resin for artificial water? I'm doing up a fountain for Frostgrave and I'm looking at things like "floral resin water", which seem absurdly overpriced. Does anyone have any experience with this? What's a good fake water?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
If you're looking for pourable stuff to get some depth over a wide area, envirotex lite and some valleo water effects paste to do texture on top. Woodland Scenics Realistic Water is also decent for smaller applications, but you need to apply it in a few layers, otherwise you get a weird doming effect from surface tension.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'm pretty sure Woodland Scenics Realistic Water is just gloss medium (like you use for paint). I bought some Art Resin for making water effects, since it seems to have the best protection against yellowing from UV rays. Magic Water would also be a good choice. Definitely avoid stuff like 5 minute epoxy; in about 6 months, it will look like urine instead.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

in about 6 months, it will look like urine instead.

Thanks for the diorama idea!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

big_g posted:

Hi all, I'm looking for some inspiration for a good kit/model/project to paint next.

I've been following this thread since Paintvagrant started it and love it but for my sins I rarely post. I'm the guy currently doing the Tau Ghostkeel in digi cam and I've posted historical vechicles in the past too. (The LRDG truck and Corsair etc.)

Basically I'm bored and have no idea what to do next and you guys are a totally repository of awesome modelling knowledge so please suggest me some fun things that I could try. It can be GW not GW, historical, fantasy, sci-fi, anime or whatever, 15mm, 28mm, bigger, 1:48, 1:35 I really don't care what it is as long as it looks like something I haven't really tried before and will look awesome when done. (Also as long as I like it cost is not an issue.)

To prove I am not without precedent in this, the last time I did this in another forum I got a 1500pt Finnish FoW list as a suggestion.

Fantasy busts!

https://redlancers.com/item.aspx?ID=2978

http://www.figone.fr/en/captn-sapo/

http://www.figone.fr/en/buste-roi-mort-vivant/

also you should post more,cause you're very good.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 16, 2015

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Orks Orks orks orks

ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS

OOOOOOORKS

(click pics for yuuuge)

TODO: shade, layer and highlight metallics.
TODO: figure out what to paint the clothes
TODO: figure out the colours for the fuses on the lit TNT bundles.
TODO: stop my hate for metal models and their inability to hold onto paint, fuuuck

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 16, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anybody have experience stripping Mage Knight or Hero Clix figures? What's safe and effective to use on that weird plastic?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

moths posted:

Does anybody have experience stripping Mage Knight or Hero Clix figures? What's safe and effective to use on that weird plastic?

I primed over then used paint normally. No real issues. Don't bother trying to strip them.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I primed over then used paint normally. No real issues. Don't bother trying to strip them.

Seconded on that. Just wash em in warm, soapy water, dry and prime them and you should be good to go.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That didn't even occur to me, but I'll probably give it a try.

I tried washing one in acetone and was surprised that it didn't ruin it. It feels a little gummy, but didn't seem to lose any detail. Weird!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The stock paint job on the MK figures is so terrible I've thought about doing the same. Even if I halfassedly slop a few colors on over their primed-over paint, it'll probably be an improvement.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

big_g posted:

Wargames Illustrated has some cheap "mini vignettes" of historical events that seem pretty neat.

http://wargamesillustrated.co.uk/product-category/moments-in-history/

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

So I started painting Infinity minis. There is a ton of detail in those models.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

selnaric posted:

Nice work. Painting tartan on those tiny guys is really hard and yours looks great.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Until 1:40pm today (Dec 17th), Amazon's got a Gold Box deal for the Badger Minitaire set at $130. I'm not sure if this is a great deal or not, but that's at least $30 off of normal Amazon pricing.

EDIT: Looks like the deal is still on, so they may keep it running until supplies are exhausted.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 17, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Until 1:40pm today (Dec 17th), Amazon's got a Gold Box deal for the Badger Minitaire set at $130. I'm not sure if this is a great deal or not, but that's at least $30 off of normal Amazon pricing.

According to CamelCamelCamel that is a historic low price. I got a set at gencon for $100 and while the paint quality is a little variable and some goons have expressed that they hate it, for that price I'd say it's a good deal if you have an airbrush already.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

selnaric posted:

This guy looks even sweeter IRL than in the picture. Super job, selnaric!

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Nice work. Painting tartan on those tiny guys is really hard and yours looks great.

Thanks. I cry a little when I think about how many more tartans I need to paint.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

selnaric posted:

Is that a kitbash? Looks like a Mormaer but something seems off.

ed: oops, it's a stock Mormaer HMG, I definitely misjudged the sculpt date.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Wierre posted:

These are awesome - I love when a painter can make the old minis look really nice.

SRM I'm loving your Orks too - what's your recipe for the green?

Someone many pages ago was looking for dogs - look for the Zombicide Dog Companion set. There are 6 dogs in the set for under $20.