Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

Please be Hildibrand

It is. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

That bloke looks mighty familiar!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Hildibrand was by far the least interesting of the main characters in his arc, and he was only really tolerable half the time because of how great the rest of the cast was at playing off of him.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vil posted:

Here's my advice: Don't tunnel vision one mob at a time. Your main job is to keep everything pissed at you (not counting specific mechanics of particular mobs the tank can/should ignore; you brush on this a bit in the last boss of Tam-tara, and start seeing it more in Copperbell bosses and onward from there), while being sufficiently unsquishy that your healer can comfortably handle keeping you alive.

Your secondary - but still very important - job is to contribute to killing things and focusing mobs down. But it's still secondary. When you see people talking about endgame and maximizing tank DPS, it's because the whole threat side of thing is so ingrained and they have so many tools at that point, that it's basically a non-issue for them. So instead they shift to discussing increasing their damage. Bear that context in mind and don't feel like you're expected to be super elite at dishing out damage while you're still getting a good feel for threat management. Get threat down pat, get survivability down pat, then, later, worry about how much of those you can get away with sacrificing to improve your damage.

Or you can just hit Overpower four times per pack and then alt tab to read some forums while your party kills the monsters.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Niton posted:

Hildibrand was by far the least interesting of the main characters in his arc, and he was only really tolerable half the time because of how great the rest of the cast was at playing off of him.

He's the comic foil to the rest of the crew that surrounded him. Comic foils flying solo rarely work so I'm sure we'll get a nice new crew of silly elves learning how to be good little goers of the faith. :catholic:

Eej posted:

Or you can just hit Overpower four times per pack and then alt tab to read some forums while your party kills the monsters.

This is also good advice, but get a second monitor, scrub.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Thanks for the advice, all. I guess I'll prioritize overpower against groups and then tab switch once I feel comfortable, assuming the packs aren't dying too fast. My last MMO didn't have this kind of targeting, I'm lately used to more active combat and every axe swing being aoe so the switch back is a little jarring, especially since I didn't ever tank with this style of MMO. Blocking was also active so boss attacks could just bounce off me by pressing the block button.

One last question, as a tank am I expected to take red carpets to the face or should I be running out of range? Solo I avoid them for obvious reasons, but tanking in a group and moving around will piss off the DPS and might get me out of range of healers... I don't expect any newbie dungeons to have instakill mechanics and I doubt it matters on trash pulls but if a boss spawns adds and then aoe stuns and my dumb rear end gets caught in it, I'll probably owe the healer an apology.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
My humor tastes are refined and demand more than silly faces and slapstick. I hope this droll Hildibrand fellow does not spoil my fun.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

dromal phrenia posted:

One last question, as a tank am I expected to take red carpets to the face or should I be running out of range? Solo I avoid them for obvious reasons, but tanking in a group and moving around will piss off the DPS and might get me out of range of healers... I don't expect any newbie dungeons to have instakill mechanics and I doubt it matters on trash pulls but if a boss spawns adds and then aoe stuns and my dumb rear end gets caught in it, I'll probably owe the healer an apology.

Dodge, then move back into position once it's safe. If you do it right, the mob won't move at all

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What ilv are the relics going to be?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
As soon as the enemy cast bar fills, it's safe to move back into position, even if you move into the animation. Do it right and most enemies won't get a chance to move at all.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Dodge, then move back into position once it's safe. If you do it right, the mob won't move at all

Brony Hunter posted:

As soon as the enemy cast bar fills, it's safe to move back into position, even if you move into the animation. Do it right and most enemies won't get a chance to move at all.

Agreed with both the above. You'll get a feel for that technique with practice. Usually the ground marker will disappear at the same time as the cast bar fills, so you may prefer that as a visual cue (especially with multiple mobs).

Melee DPS - who have positional attacks dependent on hitting the flank or the back of the mob - might be annoyed or disrupted by this all the same, because any other mobs that aren't doing a ground attack will still spin to face you as you move. But if you're clearly only moving for ground markers or other clearly understandable reasons, and if you move back into position asap, they'll almost always be cool with the occasional times it hampers them. And when they're vitriolic about it, that generally says more about their social skills than it does about your tanking.

The important thing is that you're not pointlessly and constantly wiggling. If you don't have a good reason to move, sit your rear end in one spot and don't move.

Related: a few jobs (BRD, SMN, NIN, DRK, all healers) can put circles on the ground that either hurt mobs or heal/defend you. You generally start seeing these in the 30s and 40s, I think. Learn what these look like, so you're not pulling mobs (or yourself) out of something you actually want to be keeping them in.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brony Hunter posted:

This is really one of the most important things to learn about the combat system in this game. In almost every case, the results of the attack are decided when the cast bar goes away. If you step out of the attack's area of effect and move back into position as soon as the cast bar goes away, you will not be hit by it even if the animation makes it look like you should have been hit.

Since monsters tend to be locked in place during both the cast bar and the attack animation that follows it, you generally have time to dodge the area attack and get back in position without it moving at all.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 15, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One note is that, sub-50, dragoons only need the flank accessible and ninjas only need the rear. Monks need both from the beginning iirc.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Is there any way to make the cast bar huge or differentiate between good circles and bad ones? It won't matter for now but later it'd be nice to know to ignore circles unless a giant bar with "diarrhea" or whatever shows up.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

dromal phrenia posted:

Is there any way to make the cast bar huge or differentiate between good circles and bad ones? It won't matter for now but later it'd be nice to know to ignore circles unless a giant bar with "diarrhea" or whatever shows up.

At low levels the markers (the bit that appears on the ground before the cast finishes) will be orange, but at high levels it may look entirely different, and some abilities don't have a ground marker at all. You can resize the cast bar by going into UI options, selecting the monster health bar, and pressing ctrl-home, but that resizes the entire mob health UI.

In general there are only a few 'friendly' ground AoEs that you'll have to remember, and you'll pick up what they look like. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Shadow Flare, Sacred Soil, Doton, Collective Unconscious, and Salted Earth.

vOv fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 16, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
One other thing about tanking is be sure to ask in a duty before taking a larger enemy if it's your first time in it. They most all have gimmicks and the player base is nice enough that they'll let you know of anything important beforehand.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

One of the hardest things to teach people about FF14 compared to other MMOs is that by the time you see the animation of the attack it is already over.
ALL that matters is the marker and the cast bar.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Without giving too much away, your first experience with enemy AoEs that don't use orange markers is a trial in a level 20 main story quest. It'll be really obvious where you are meant to not stand, though.

Later on you get to learn how to dodge casted AoE attacks that have no marker at all. :unsmigghh:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And then you get to learn how to dodge casted AoE attacks with no marker or cast bar, based entirely on boss animations.

Except that people basically blow it off and just heal through it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
loving twisters

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm actually thinking of SV Hard's last boss.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Thundarr posted:

Later on you get to learn how to dodge casted AoE attacks that have no marker at all. :unsmigghh:

If VA is any indication they won't learn that.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm actually thinking of SV Hard's last boss.

Oh, I thought you meant AV normal's second boss.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

AV Normal second boss has a cast bar, SV Hard doesn't.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That, though it's true that the boss is easier to hack if you ignore the cast bars and watch how he holds the mace instead.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/86c483a5b15766c988ee8db15f4eda117b9d66e4

patch notes

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Only the first quest title for Anima Weapons will be released with the patch notes. To learn more about Anima Weapons and how to enhance them, please consult and exchange information with other players as you progress through these quests.

Also looks like atmas are back

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OH BOY IT'S ATMA AGAIN

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No atmas in the item list.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Luminous Crystals are atma

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gently caress

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Luminous Ice Crystal Other Formed during a battle waged in the Coerthas western highlands, this crystal's unusual luminosity is the result of a concentrated elemental charge.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

quote:

Formed during a battle waged in the Coerthas western highlands, this crystal's unusual luminosity is the result of a concentrated elemental charge.

That screams atma to me. At least there's only 6 and not 12.

There's also the last 2 items on the list which I think are those black / white atma shaped items from a couple of weeks back

e: The areas are:
CWH x2 (Ice & Lightning)
Sea of Clouds (Wind)
Azys Lla (Fire)
D. Forelands (Earth)
D. Hinterlands (Water)

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 16, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Scholasticate quests require having finished all the Hildibrand quests, just in case anyone still had any doubt as to what these are going to be.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Ignimbrite posted:

That screams atma to me. At least there's only 6 and not 12.

There's also the last 2 items on the list which I think are those black / white atma shaped items from a couple of weeks back

e: The areas are:
CWH x2 (Ice & Lightning)
Sea of Clouds (Wind)
Azys Lla (Fire)
D. Forelands (Earth)
D. Hinterlands (Water)

I'm thinking the Lightning one is typo, since Churning Mists is absent from the list.

[3.0] Players can now obtain the following items upon completing Alexander: Gordias, areas one through four:
Precision Gordian Bolt / Precision Gordian Lens / Precision Gordian Spring / Precision Gordian Shaft

Are these Precision items the ones that drop from Savage mode?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, the savage tokens are manifesto pages.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So we have to do hildebrand for the new relic but do we have to do the 3.1 story line?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Holyshoot posted:

So we have to do hildebrand for the new relic but do we have to do the 3.1 story line?

What

no

You have to do the last hildebrand quest from 2.5 to do the new sid story quest getting added in this patch

all you need to get the next relic is to have done the last mission of Heavensward

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

What

no

You have to do the last hildebrand quest from 2.5 to do the new sid story quest getting added in this patch

all you need to get the next relic is to have done the last mission of Heavensward

Ohh ok thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Hildibrand atma confirmed ( ' - ' /\

• Locked thread