Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lakbay posted:

Oh man I hope that's put in soon, I put 80 hours into NT but stopped because I couldn't stand the bars on the screen, and there doesn't seem to be a proper window mode (it just makes the game tiny and I can't resize it).

What happened on hour 81 that suddenly made the bars intolerable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thanks Internet posted:

Since we're talking about trailers, I don't think this one has been posted yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOQWayf85Hg

Haha. This makes me really happy, because I've been following SleepCycles since like episode 10 of him playing the game. Him and DevilAzite.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

CJacobs posted:

It is apparently a game design choice so a 16:9 mode is not going to happen.

Interesting. It's a weird combination of stretched, but not stretched.

:confused: isn't it just a slight zoom in? That'll allow you to change ratios without stretching, at the cost of seeing less.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Seeing less would be kind of a big deal in this game.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

All of the PSVita and PS4 owners who have been posting nonstop to complain that only PC gamers have been able to play Nuclear Throne all this time can shut up now, it's out.

quote:

We're finally allowed to announce what we've all been so ridiculously busy with - we have just launched Nuclear Throne on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita at the PlayStation Experience in San Francisco. The entire team is here, and we hope to be able to do a livestream somewhere later today, if we can find a place with good internet. Keep track of our Twitter (@Vlambeer) to see if that works out!

That means we're also changing the status of Nuclear Throne on Steam to 'released'. As we promised, the game will launch at a pricepoint of $11,99 without any discount or sales, continuing our stance of not discounting the game during Early Access. We also want to emphasize that this release doesn't mean that no more updates will happen. It's a formality we had to get out of the way, and we're aware of the issues and problems on PC. We're working to fix those.

Much of the work that we did on the PlayStation version also indirectly benefits the PC version, like performance optimalisations and improved controller support. Sadly, every time we pushed an update for PC, something would've just broken. We're going to solve those issues as soon as we can, and although 96 was supposed to launch this past week, it seems that now PlayStation's pressure is out of the week, early next week is super doable.

I've been writing a small press release, but halfway through I realized I wrote it as if I was writing an announcement post to you all. So instead of sending this as a press release, I'm posting it here with some minor tweaks.

Today, we're celebrating the launch of Nuclear Throne - a game that has been in Early Access on Steam for the past two and a half years, enjoying 95 weekly updates and two development livestreams a week. It has, to date, sold over 150,000 copies on PC, Mac and Linux. During its development, you've directly helped popularize the idea of livestreaming commercial game development on livestreaming service Twitch (which has since introduced a ‘creative’ subcategory), and Nuclear Throne became the first game ever available for sale through subscription to a channel on the service.

During the interviews we've been having for launch, the one thing that kept coming up was how Nuclear Throne is well-regarded for its supportive community, and your constructive, considerate and helpful attitude. Not only did you create a lively forum, you also hosted expanded leaderboards, weekly contests, a fan-Wiki and even weekly update videos for the game. Before the game reached this ‘launch’, Nuclear Throne had a fan-organized world championship and unofficial mods. Without the community, we wouldn’t have been able to make the game into what it is today.

We’re also extremely proud of what we’ve achieved with the game itself. Nuclear Throne’s unique blend of fast action and roguelike gameplay has already coined the term ‘Thronelikes’ – games like Enter The Gungeon and Downwell have taken inspiration from the game and made beautiful new games that we love to play. We introduced the idea of ‘Weeklies’, a subversive variant of daily shared challenges that are infinitely replayable for practice during the weekend. Most of all, we’re proud of the gameplay, the world and our mutant heroes and foes: we’ll miss Fish and Crystal and the rest of the mutants.

It’s going to be really strange to wrap up on Nuclear Throne. For the past 33 months, every week for the two of us at Vlambeer and the four freelancers we worked with, we’ve had a very consistent schedule. On Monday, we read feedback and made a plan, on Tuesday we’d livestream, on Wednesday, we’d work, on Thursday we’d livestream, on Friday we’d wrap up, on Saturday we’d release an update and we’d hotfix the build or sleep on Sunday. We’d absorb the feedback and community enthusiasm and immediately repeat the cycle. We’ve become good friends with many people in the community, and we hope that they’ll stick around for the future.

For us, life will feel strangely empty for a while without that constant loop at the top of our mind. It’s a very bittersweet moment, and we hope we’ve done the community proud. They have given us a lot, and we hope we’ve repaid their trust and time and patience.

As for what’s next for Vlambeer, it’s hard to tell right this moment. We’re going to support Nuclear Throne for a bit, as we’d like to see how the game performs on PlayStation platforms, and see if there are any outstanding issues on the PC version. We also feel like we should take a break and revisit our earlier projects and see if they require some polish, touchups, updates or re-releases. Nuclear Throne was by far our biggest and most intensive project, but our goal was never to make ‘bigger’ games. Our goal is to make better games. We’ve learned a lot making our first roguelike, the first game we’ve made with the sheer scope and size of Nuclear Throne, and we’re eager to find out how that new knowledge applies to future –probably somewhat smaller- projects for the foreseeable future.

As for the team, it’ll eventually be splitting up again. Vlambeer always works with friends and freelancers beyond our two core team members. Paul Veer, the artist who is entirely responsible for the visual style of Nuclear Throne, is going to work on some of his own exciting projects. Joonas Turner, our SFX designer responsible for the explosions and other less important sounds in the game, is already swamped with a dozen new projects. Jukio Kallio, the amazingly talented musician responsible for the soundtrack of Nuclear Throne, will be releasing the Nuclear Throne OST in the nearby future. Finally, promo artist Justin Chan will be continuing studying art. As for me, I’ll be keeping track of Nuclear Throne’s community and working on addressing any issues the influx of new players might bring. For what it’s worth, Vlambeer designer J.W. has already been pitching new game ideas.

For now, we’re going to take a nap, and then back to work. We'll chat to you soon.

TLDR you can buy Nuclear Throne 1.0 on Playstation systems but update 96 isn't coming out till later this week and the PC version is "released" but technically still in early access?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's strange. They said on their twitter that they're "updating the game to update 96 right now", which... I guess means they're finishing up update 96?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Update 96 is out, and the dev team is celebrating on stream: http://www.twitch.tv/vlambeer

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Cool! That was fast.

Though, do the leaderboards work for you guys?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I haven't tried to do a daily yet because I don't wanna invest the time until I know they're working.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LSs1bj41P4

check this vid

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Is anybody else seeing a greater level of instability with v0.96? I've had probably half a dozen crashes in the last three or four hours, whereas I only had 2 or 3 over the previous 40 hours.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was on my best run ever, first time I'd ever made it to world 6 on a loop since they made loops ridiculous. Horror with anomaly (never underestimate how hilarious this ultra is when it starts blowing up all the waves of cops and vans before they can even exist), an ultra revolver and nuke launcher. Then my power cut out for two seconds. :suicide:

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm getting to ice city with some regularity now, which just means I get to be stomped by lil hunter every goddamn time :suicide:

edit: beat him with a laser minigun very next go and made it all the way to the throne. i stood right front and center to it.

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 8, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

kill me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nah, looks like they already have that taken care of :haw:

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

Now THAT'S desperate!
So here's a video where ideaot gets the post-launch WR and everyone realizes who the most broken character in the game is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G4nTtjO0tA

Things really go off the rails at 45:19

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why did he keep getting health back from killing enemies if he didn't have bloodlust?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Why did he keep getting health back from killing enemies if he didn't have bloodlust?

Skeleton retains the properties of some of mutations you had when you chose them as Melting, and bloodlust is one of those. It's probably a bug.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

Now THAT'S desperate!

Remember the bug from a few updates ago where your mutations would persist to your next run? Turns out it's still there with the melting>skeleton transformation! Any mutations you get as melting will persist when you respawn as skeleton and will not be offered to you again. The exceptions to this are Rhino Skin, Back Muscle, Extra Feet and Eagle Eyes which not only don't get carried over, but also don't get offered again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jesus, in the final stages basically every level ends with a completely destroyed level and a big sea of corpses. :stare:

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

Now THAT'S desperate!
I can't decide if my favorite part is him just casually firing off 3-4 super plasma cannon shots in a row, or the parts where the solution to being a low health is to stand on top of a van and explode it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else crashing/freezing before the main menu pops up? Sad I can't play the game since the last update.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Completed my first run ever with Steroids. Had a machine gun and flak cannon for most of the way with Recycle Gland and Bloodthirst, and then had to swap out the flak cannon for a bouncer shotgun right before the final boss. Absolutely didn't think that it would be the run, but I'm glad i was surprised.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I was on my best run ever, first time I'd ever made it to world 6 on a loop since they made loops ridiculous. Horror with anomaly (never underestimate how hilarious this ultra is when it starts blowing up all the waves of cops and vans before they can even exist), an ultra revolver and nuke launcher. Then my power cut out for two seconds. :suicide:

That sucks, you should really invest in a ups. It'll pay for itself in not breaking power supplies/motherboard s.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Reason posted:

Anyone else crashing/freezing before the main menu pops up? Sad I can't play the game since the last update.

Had the same thing. Go to the Nuclear Throne folder in steamapps and open options.ini then change VertexBufferMethod to 1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
An update dropped. Nuclear Throne seems to be going the way of Minecraft in announcing that it is out of beta when really it's not ready for that and saying it doesn't actually mean much.

quote:

First of all, thank you so, so much for your support during the launch of Nuclear Throne. We know things were unexpected, and we wish we would've been capable of communicating a bit more - but such is the nature of surprise announcements.

While we're not allowed to go into specifics due to legalities and the like, we can easily say that this was by far the most successful launch in the history of Vlambeer, and such an enormous part of that was all of you on social media.

It was also by far the biggest launch we ever did, and that does mean that we're learning as we go. We're super thankful for your patience, and we're going to continue updating the game to address some issues in terms of balance, fix some things that came up before the launch and some new things that came up after it, restore Daily/Weekly functionality, and polish just a tiny bit more.

We're going to switch things up a bit now that we've reached home from PSX, release status on the game, and update 97 in our long history of updates. We'll be lowering the frequency of updates and livestreams permanently, although we'll have more information on what happens on our Twitch channel in the future. For this update, we're introducing some balancing tweaks, a lot of crash and hang fixes and introducing Steam Cloud.

Update 97 should also address problems with OSX and Linux builds on certain configurations, and if everything went OK, nobody should ever have to touch options.ini again. We also learned to never make the default pause menu option 'Quit to Menu'. Sorry!

For next update, we're going to transition the Dailies and Weeklies over to new servers, hopefully restoring those to full function for the first time after the launch. Let us know if you run into any new bugs or problems.

Balancing
A lot of tweaking to the enemies spawning on loop. Difficulty should increase throughout the areas a bit more and desert has been made slightly less ridiculous.
Enemy HP now increases less with loops.
Lil Hunter now spawns a second later, and looping decreases the spawn time less than it used to.
Lil Hunter's weaponry now gets more powerful with loops.
Hard mode now starts you out with slightly better weapons.
Tiny Gamma Guts nerf, prepared to change it back if this ruins it.
Energy Hammer now uses more ammo, spawns later, and deals more damage.
Guitar rate of fire has been slowed down a bit.
Energy Sword rate of fire has been slowed down a tiny bit.
Freak IDPD now has better guns with more spread.

Fixes
Fixed bug that started game from loadout screen with gamepads.
Fixed crash on Daily/Weekly load.
Disabled 'G'-key that made gamepads unpredictable.
Fixed Guardian point_distance bug on death in palace.
Wrote better save corruption handling, should stop game from crashing on load.
Fixed additional VertexBufferHandler errors resulting in corrupted graphics.
Fixed Plant B skin unlock achievement not appearing when not looping.
Crown of Risk and Crown of Luck icons are no longer swapped in the loadout screen.
Fixed OSX game open crash on certain configurations.
Fixed Linux game open crash on certain configurations.
Fixed achievement bug with Plant's B-skin.

Misc
Tutorial tweaks for gamepad support.
Default menu selection with gamepad is now 'continue' rather than 'menu'.
Improved Steam Cloud support.
Allow for D-Pad control on gamepads.
Smaller Save Icon.
Retroactive Steam Achievements for a number of achievements.
Certain secret weapons now adjust legacy values in old save files to prevent crashes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Had the same thing. Go to the Nuclear Throne folder in steamapps and open options.ini then change VertexBufferMethod to 1.

I did this and managed to get to the character select screen, but then levels wouldn't load. Fortunately the patch today seems to have fixed all the things.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

Now THAT'S desperate!

CJacobs posted:

An update dropped. Nuclear Throne seems to be going the way of Minecraft in announcing that it is out of beta when really it's not ready for that and saying it doesn't actually mean much.

They talked a little bit about this during the stream they did after launch. Basically they struck a deal with Sony to have the PS4 and Vita versions ready to launch during PSX and then they found out they needed to re-write a massive amount of code for the vita version and the crunch from that prevented them from having a smoother launch.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I just got killed by a rat while I had Gamma Guts. Did they ruin it again?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They lowered the damage it does per tick, so maybe. In the patch notes they said they're prepared to reverse the change if it ruins it

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Gamma Guts goes from completely useless to almost completely useless and back again every other patch.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Gamma guts was actually quite good the last patch. It's really nice to be able to just wade through freaks on loop labs, and it makes maggots totally harmless

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Achievements are not unlocking retroactively for me.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Achievements are not unlocking retroactively for me.

Yeah, same here. I have every character and a few b-skins unlocked, but only a few of the achievements for doing so, and those are from playing on a different computer.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Wait, does gamma guts prevent damage? While we're at it: what guns count as semi-auto for purpose of Steroids' passive, can Robot eat cursed weapons, does the skill that lets you ignore explosions work on toxic waste barrels, and do you have any tips for unlocking Melting's b skin. Whew. I can't put this mostly stable PS4/Vita game down.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

semi-auto means it fires every time you click the button. the steroids passive means everything will continue firing as long as you hold down the button. so it just turns everything into being full-auto.

robot can eat cursed weapons and it gives the standard bonus, but it also does like...8(?) damage to you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

melting's blood explosions can destroy projectiles i think. that's probably the only real "tip" besides don't get hit

megane
Jun 20, 2008

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Wait, does gamma guts prevent damage?
Gamma Guts deals its damage to the enemy before the enemy deals damage to you, meaning that if GG one-shots the enemy you take no damage. Otherwise you still will.

quote:

does the skill that lets you ignore explosions work on toxic waste barrels
It'll work on the initial explosion, but the clouds will still kill you.

Melting gets a heck of a lot easier if you mash right-click a lot. It has no cooldown whatsoever and frequently causes huge chain reactions, especially with TB & Impact Knuckles.

v That's definitely true

megane fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 18, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't really value melting's throne butt that much. it definitely beats a lot of other mutations but if i see like scarier face or bolt marrow or back muscle it can wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Heck, I'm still trying to loop with melting at all. Today I got to the Throne with a super bazooka and Boiling Veins and actually killed it... with the shot I fired just before the center beam annihiliated me. Straight through my full health, Rhino Skin and Strong Spirit. :saddowns:

• Locked thread