Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Guh, million-plus-credit mission bugged into non-completion because this game can't handle multiple simultaneous missions. I go to a system to make a delivery and pick up a dead drop, when I get back the dead drop mission isn't complete, I didn't get paid, but I don't have the drop item in cargo any more and the waypoint to return to the merchant guild is still there.

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This thread seems pretty dead, but I've made a couple of simple mods people might be interested in if they're still playing:
add "missing" pro versions of Sparrow and Grud mercenary pilots
make Militia bribe attempts certain to succeed

5er
Jun 1, 2000

GotLag posted:

This thread seems pretty dead, but I've made a couple of simple mods people might be interested in if they're still playing:
add "missing" pro versions of Sparrow and Grud mercenary pilots
make Militia bribe attempts certain to succeed

Oh, totally keep it up. Right now, I think Fallout, JC3, and dlc's in a few other popular games have pulled some folks away (like me). I'll definitely get back to this though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'll be back. Just after I finish the rest of these massive games.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm late to the party, just picked this up yesterday and am having a blast so far.

I think I'm nearing the end of the plot in the starting system (working with what's-her-name to break out my Aunt :downs:) rolling in a riced-out Icarus with Mk2 everything (2x Particle Beam turrets top, Flak turrets on the sides, a null-grav booster) and have basically been trying a bunch of different loadouts.

Do broadsides ever get more varied? So far my only options are 'normal broadside', 'short-range, high-ROF' and 'long-range, slow firing' but they otherwise feel really samey.

I can't really find a secondary I like either. Dumbfires and mines didn't click for me, I'm running EMP Flak right now but I always forget to use it (I wish it was a toggle rather than having to keep tapping shift), maybe I'll try heat seekers even though the ammo counts on everything else I've tried felt really low.

I was really disappointed that Swarm Turrets had so little ammo. What a great looking weapon but it runs dry in 90 seconds. For most the time I've been running full beam turrets set to fire on everything, which seems to work decently against fighters except that all the turrets tend to want to shoot the same fight, which seems like a waste.

I've got a feeling that the 'best' turret setup is going to be a mixture of flak, pulse, and beam with different settings while I just tootle around and worry about the big fish with my broadsides...

e: Ramming Deflectors seem to absorb more damage than normal ones (in addition to dealing damage), with the only drawback being that their maximum usage length is half as long? Doesn't seem to be a worthwile trade to me, since I mostly use my deflector to give my shields time to recharge. Ramming is underwhelming, at least in the ships I've had so far. If an endgame ship can just ram into and explode dudes and not even stop then that might be different. :black101:

Does it matter much which upgrade I chose from Specter? I went with the Deflector boost. :ohdear:

e2: What's some good music to stuff in this thing while I play?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 11, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WarLocke posted:

Do broadsides ever get more varied? So far my only options are 'normal broadside', 'short-range, high-ROF' and 'long-range, slow firing' but they otherwise feel really samey.
After you break out of the starting system you can get neutron beam broadsides which are awesome. And there's a fifth type that's yet more particle balls which only comes from loot drops. But it's not so hot.

quote:

maybe I'll try heat seekers even though the ammo counts on everything else I've tried felt really low.

I was really disappointed that Swarm Turrets had so little ammo.
Ammo goes up as MK level goes up (and with more secondary ports for the HS missiles, but then you fire more at a time). For turrets you can get more manual control by using the targeting options -- lock on only means full manual control. But yes ammo is a thing. The flip side is that the ammo weapons have great burst damage.

quote:

Does it matter much which upgrade I chose from Specter? I went with the Deflector boost. :ohdear:
They're a small bonus so it's not critical, but I think that upgrading speed is the best option from her. Ships mostly get slower as you progress so every speed upgrade helps. Gotta go fast.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Klyith posted:

Gotta go fast.
As someone who's been flying a Tennhausen for most of the game and just recently upgraded to a Sturville, I will be inclined to agree.

As for broadsides, I wish there were some plain ol' ballistic cannons in the game instead of just different shades of pew pew and zaapp. I wanna go all BSG on some motherfuckers.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Proton cannons are good for that. You can shoot people up from afar by aiming your shots fully, or you can get right in close and just click as fast as you can and laugh as their ship melts.

Neutron beams are great at picking off fighters but you can't spam them up close to an enemy capital.

The Blackgate is a bit of a let down, honestly. Sure it has all those broadside ports but they're spread along the (huge) length of the ship, so at anything less than about 1-1.5 sm the angle's too sharp for all of them to hit your target.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GotLag posted:

Proton cannons are good for that. You can shoot people up from afar by aiming your shots fully, or you can get right in close and just click as fast as you can and laugh as their ship melts.
Yeah I've been using those for most of the game, I like that they have good range and are pretty effective against both shields and armor.

As for wanting ballistic cannons, I just meant it from an aesthetic point of view. I wanna hear KA-POW KA-POW and BOOM BOOM and see muzzle blasts and smoke puffs and poo poo. I wanna be loving Minmatar instead of Gallente.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That should be fairly straightforward to mod, if you've got the assets (sounds, tracers).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GotLag posted:

Yeah I tried the neutron beams but went back to proton cannons. The range advantage and ability to just vomit all over a big ship up close makes them great.

I'm in a Tennhauser right now (although getting close to maxed out equipment on it, then I'll have to decide on what to move up to) and a setup of Photon Cannons, 2x Scatter Turret, 2x Pulse Turret (all set to 'fire on everything') seems to work well. Since fighters/bombers tend to close faster than capital ships they get focused on first, then when it's just the big boys left they still add a surprising amount of damage.

I think if I move up to a Scarab I may try the same setup but just adding 2x Beam Turret and a Flak Turret - it seems like if your turrets are all the same type them they all want to focus fire, which is pretty wasteful, if you mix them up it doesn't happen as much...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How do you change the order of similar weapon systems in your load out.

Like switch turret 1 to 2.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

How do you change the order of similar weapon systems in your load out.

Like switch turret 1 to 2.

If I'm understanding the question, I don't think you can outside of dock.

In dock, you can either sell/rebuy turrets to move them around between hardpoints, or there's a button to just remove the current turret (CTRL I think?) and then you switch to the mount you want it on and place it there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'll try it in a station. Thanks.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Note also that you can click and drag with the right mouse button to rotate your ship in the equipment store and shipyard. I didn't realise this for ages :downs:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GotLag posted:

Note also that you can click and drag with the right mouse button to rotate your ship in the equipment store and shipyard. I didn't realise this for ages :downs:

Also, just for completeness sake, when you have a turret selected in the list there's a little white box around it on the ship view, I missed it at first, just saying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was trying to move them from space.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I tried the neutron beams but went back to proton cannons. The range advantage and ability to just vomit all over a big ship up close makes them great.

I'm in a Tennhauser right now (although getting close to maxed out equipment on it, then I'll have to decide on what to move up to) and a setup of Photon Cannons, 2x Scatter Turret, 2x Pulse Turret (all set to 'fire on everything') seems to work well. Since fighters/bombers tend to close faster than capital ships they get focused on first, then when it's just the big boys left they still add a surprising amount of damage.

I think if I move up to a Scarab I may try the same setup but just adding 2x Beam Turret and a Flak Turret - it seems like if your turrets are all the same type them they all want to focus fire, which is pretty wasteful, if you mix them up it doesn't happen as much...

Just so you know, there major way the game does upgrades is based on your gear, and not really your ship. In fact, upgrading your ship can end up making things more difficult since you will be slower (generally) and take more hits.

One you get out of the starting zone you can buy higher marque gear and keep the Tennhousen for a while more.

On the plus side, ships and gear are free to swap, they buy and sell for exactly the same price.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

A single leech turret is huge given that it cripples enemy ship shield regeneration as well as speed, which is huge for taking down some of the tougher opponents if you lack the brute firepower to overwhelm them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gwaihir posted:

Just so you know, there major way the game does upgrades is based on your gear, and not really your ship. In fact, upgrading your ship can end up making things more difficult since you will be slower (generally) and take more hits.

One you get out of the starting zone you can buy higher marque gear and keep the Tennhousen for a while more.
This is very true. It's easy to underestimate the value of being small and fast. A Tennhausen with all mark 5 gear is still a force to be reckoned with. With the extra-powerful, lower duration boosters (I forgot what they were called) you can keep dancing around enemies and always dictate which side you want to engage them from. Dreadnoughts can't really do poo poo with their big broadside guns if you just keep behind them shooting their rear end, or you can hug their side so closely that their guns can't get an angle on you, while you just whale on them with all you got.

And remember; if you want to change direction in a hurry, let go of the gas pedal. Even the more agile ships have a pretty big turning radius if you turn while moving, but you can kill your throttle, spin around in a couple seconds, throttle right back up and hit the boost and you'll be back at max speed in no time flat. I've gotten a lot of mileage from this simple little trick.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Nordick posted:

This is very true. It's easy to underestimate the value of being small and fast.

I restarted because I wasn't that far into the game and I was feeling that choosing the Deflector boost was a mistake - Afterburners are always useful and don't shut off your guns. My pro strat in the new game was to use Slamjet boosters, the Field Recovery shields (double capacity but slower regen) in the small fast, starter ships - the Mastodon is so agile that I would literally fly around behind capital ships and pull up to them like we were drag racing (I call em drive-bys :black101:) at under a space-click and just vomit tachyon broadsides into them. They're almost always dead before they can even breach my shields. :getin:

It's almost too bad that particle turrets seem to outperform everything pretty much flat out, though. Yeah, they're crap against shields, but they do enough raw damage to force their way through anyway - especially if massed - and their nice range and pinpoint accuracy can't be ignored.

quote:

And remember; if you want to change direction in a hurry, let go of the gas pedal.

This is a loving pro tip I had no idea was possible. Now I'm drifting like a true space cowboy :clint:

VVV: I meant the bonus you get from the AI, I chose the +10% Deflectors the first time.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 15, 2015

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Don't restart if you make a poor ship, weapon, or equipment purchase. You can sell anything back for the exact same price you bought it for (your ship value will be subtracted from the price of the next ship you buy, and you get a refund if you buy a cheaper ship).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The AI bonuses are super minor in the scheme of things really. I'd just say that if you want the game to take off, don't hang around in the first system forever. The rewards and gear scale up waaay faster as soon as you leave. (Also there's just plain a lot more variety once you get out of the first system, too).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Does the $3mil subsystem that absorbs missile damage to recharge shields just totally neuter them?

Deciding on subsystems is the hardest part of setting up a ship, since even the biggest ones only get 4 slots. So repair bot, that missile absorption thing, then I really want the 'make nebulas not gently caress up radar' one... leaves one slot to play with. :smith:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Does the $3mil subsystem that absorbs missile damage to recharge shields just totally neuter them?

You need to have your Deflector up for it to work.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

Deciding on subsystems is the hardest part of setting up a ship, since even the biggest ones only get 4 slots. So repair bot, that missile absorption thing, then I really want the 'make nebulas not gently caress up radar' one... leaves one slot to play with. :smith:

Yeah, that's part of why I've got such a softspot for the Manticore. It's got 5 subsystem slots.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nordick posted:

As for wanting ballistic cannons, I just meant it from an aesthetic point of view. I wanna hear KA-POW KA-POW and BOOM BOOM and see muzzle blasts and smoke puffs and poo poo. I wanna be loving Minmatar instead of Gallente.

I don't have EVE but I'd be happy to have a go at modding this if you could get me the audio files.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Just finished the game, and found my favourite ship; the Polaris, the agile Dreadnought.
I run with mk6 Proton brodsides, the thruster enhancement that improves your turn rate by 10 degrees per sec, the broadside reload time enhancement, and the the broadside charge enhancement.

Superfun to fly, and just absolutely melts everything.

Oh, and a tip to anyone who wants to go back to Charon: pick up a random side mission when you're there in the story. As long as you have a mission in Charon you can access it even after the story concludes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just bought the game and wow, space ships and trucker vibes actually go super well together. My only real issue with the game is it's hard to get used to a 2d space game that's not top-down, but really it's fine. Time to smuggle some space whiskey!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I just bought the game and wow, space ships and trucker vibes actually go super well together. My only real issue with the game is it's hard to get used to a 2d space game that's not top-down, but really it's fine. Time to smuggle some space whiskey!

I haven't even tried smuggling (or trading), I just collect poo poo from ships I blow up and sell it the next time I dock.

Flying around in a tricked-out Arcturus right now (2 scatter turrets, 2 pulse, 2 ions, 3 beams) and finally getting to the point where I can mostly just let my turrets obliterate NPC frigates and corvettes and only need to broadside stuff like destroyers and cruisers. :feelsgood:

I'm finding that I prefer using Field Impact shields and Shock deflectors. The larger capacity/slower recharge works better for me than the other way around, I think.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Depends on how you play it. If your plan is to tank damage then run away to recharge (or kill everything before you run out of shield) then the big and slow shields are the way to go. With faster-charging shields you need to make more liberal use of your deflectors, allowing shields to charge while deflectors are active and vice versa.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The beefy shields actually recharge faster than normal ones anyway. They have twice the damage absorption, but their recharge isn't quite twice as long (18 seconds versus 10 seconds) so in practice you actually get more 'shield HP' back per-second with the beefy 'slow recharge' ones.

Deflectors are actually a tradeoff since the double-strength ones take upwards of 40 seconds to fully recharge, but when you consider that all your guns turn off when it's up I'd prefer to not be flipping them on every couple seconds, so I use the beefy ones and basically save them for when my shields are about to collapse.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I forget the exact name, but the Null-Grave thrusters or whatever, the ones with a slower acceleration but better top speed, are so loving good.

All game going faster outside of warp is a real QoL deal, especially once you start getting getting in larger, slower ships.

Earlier in the game before it starts hitting you with a free EMP at the start of every ambush, they make it so ambushes may as well not exist "Well I can fly literally twice as fast as you later shitlords".

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I keep swapping my booster type. Null-grav is nice, yeah, but once you get into the bigger ships their acceleration is rear end. At least slamjets will actually get my Arcturus going from a hairpin turn in less than 10 seconds.

Mk4-5 slamjets only have like 3-4 seconds recharge anyway, so the only time I really miss nullgravs is when I try to do a blockade run delivery type mission (which I've mostly stopped doing).

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The game recommends a controller, do you guys have a preference vs mouse and keyboard?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Tagichatn posted:

The game recommends a controller, do you guys have a preference vs mouse and keyboard?

Just like naval combat in Assassin's Creed, it is completely fine to use keyboard and mouse.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
KB+M works well enough, but using a controller feels a little more comfortable.

So I finished the story yesterday (no spoilers) and got around to form some thoughts about the game. Considering it was mostly made by two guys, it was a great experience! Still, some things bothered me:

-very little variation in quests and between star systems (becomes especially grating when you are grinding credits for the expensive mk 4-6 upgrades and intensified by)
-uneven pacing/progression: You spend a long time in the first system with very meagre monetary rewards, then are thrown into a rather unstructured universe where you can experience very uneven fights due to different tech levels -> which forces you to spend a lot of time on uninspired auto-generated quests in order to get better stuff
-some aspects, like trading and mining are a bit underwhelming in the ROI department

Still, I enjoyed my time with Rebel Galaxy and I'm looking forward to Double Damage's next game.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm loving this game. I just got it yesterday and I've pretty much done nothing else with my weekend. I went from the Tennhausen to the Barracuda to the Sturville, as the thread consensus seemed to suggest, and while that's fun, I'm getting to the point where I kind of want an upgrade, or to try out a bigger ship or something. I've got mostly mk IV gear with some mk IV, and 3 million spacebucks in cash (thanks to a lucky encounter with an asteroid field stuffed to the gills with Faces of Gozu) plus the hull value of my Sturville.

Any thoughts on where to go next? Destroyer, dreadnought. bigger Merch Guild hauler?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kesper North posted:

I'm loving this game. I just got it yesterday and I've pretty much done nothing else with my weekend. I went from the Tennhausen to the Barracuda to the Sturville, as the thread consensus seemed to suggest, and while that's fun, I'm getting to the point where I kind of want an upgrade, or to try out a bigger ship or something. I've got mostly mk IV gear with some mk IV, and 3 million spacebucks in cash (thanks to a lucky encounter with an asteroid field stuffed to the gills with Faces of Gozu) plus the hull value of my Sturville.

Any thoughts on where to go next? Destroyer, dreadnought. bigger Merch Guild hauler?

I'm in an Arcturus at the moment. 9 turrets, it's pretty squarely in the 'middle weight' class and rather cheap (1.3mil or so for the chassis, another mil if you want to splurge on the manuevering jets upgrade, it's no Sturville but with the upgrade it's pretty snappy for its size).

It also looks metal as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WarLocke posted:

I'm in an Arcturus at the moment. 9 turrets, it's pretty squarely in the 'middle weight' class and rather cheap (1.3mil or so for the chassis, another mil if you want to splurge on the manuevering jets upgrade, it's no Sturville but with the upgrade it's pretty snappy for its size).

It also looks metal as hell.

I'm flying it now (with mostly Mk V gear :v: I've been really good about upgrading it rather than buying bigger ships) and it's pretty nice. I like the extra punch, but I still have pretty big problems fighting dreadnoughts in high-level systems.

And, yes, it's super loving metal. So metal that I named it the Loc-Nar.

Great loc-nar, maaaaaaan.

• Locked thread