Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Bolded needs to be a thread title somewhere. Probably D&D.

Culture war's getting weird. What is Disney's supposed place in the social justice conspiracy? Giving benefits to same-sex spouses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Jack Gladney posted:

Culture war's getting weird. What is Disney's supposed place in the social justice conspiracy? Giving benefits to same-sex spouses?

Giving women and minorities semi-equal screen time I guess.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Promoting white genocide of course

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Serf posted:

Promoting white genocide of course

Stormtroopers are supposed to be white :mad:

*conveniently forgets that Jango Fett was played by a Maori*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So if the idea is that Disney cares less about making billions of dollars than they do about promoting white genocide, what happens when the movie still makes billions of dollars anyway? Does that mean its over for white people?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hell yeah I love that dude

Both gonk droids and mouse droids are coming back in TFA!

Corek fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 15, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone put any real stock in that Jar Jar is the mastermind/puppetmaster theory cuz lol

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

mr.capps posted:

God, it sounds like a star wars line. Its amazing

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible social justice has happened."

Serf
May 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

So if the idea is that Disney cares less about making billions of dollars than they do about promoting white genocide, what happens when the movie still makes billions of dollars anyway? Does that mean its over for white people?

Yep. If this movie turns a profit, we're pretty much old news.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mouse Droid = Best Droid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbBdixsqC3U

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

Does anyone put any real stock in that Jar Jar is the mastermind/puppetmaster theory cuz lol

It's a good joke/meme, but the post that proposed it was distressingly sincere.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Star Wars on the big screen, I'm not sure I've told this tale on SA before or not...but the marathon on Thursday will be my first time seeing Attack of the Clones in theaters. My mom passed away a few days before its original theatrical run and, for obvious reason, dad and I never got around to going to that one.

My condolences for your loss :( I lost my Mom as well to a sudden brain aneurysm three years ago, so I completely understand your reasoning.

Speaking of, my Mom used to work for Lego, and I remember when she had taken me and a friend to a private premiere of The Phantom Menace before it was released. The movie, even though its probably my least favorite of the three prequels, still holds a special place in my heart because of that.

That's really one of the best parts about Star Wars in general - it appeals to many different generations and has become one of the longest lasting pop-culture phenomenons unlike any other franchise that has come before or since its release.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Are we going to get any reviews before this drops?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fuligin posted:

Are we going to get any reviews before this drops?

Embargo ends tomorrow morning.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
The review embargo ends at midnight tonight (PST).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I got a little early glimpse of a review, they liked it but thought the sequence where R2D2 takes up Luke's lightsaber to fight off Chewie will be controversial after how Yoda was received in Ep 2.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jonny_Rocket posted:

My condolences for your loss :( I lost my Mom as well to a sudden brain aneurysm three years ago, so I completely understand your reasoning.

Speaking of, my Mom used to work for Lego, and I remember when she had taken me and a friend to a private premiere of The Phantom Menace before it was released. The movie, even though its probably my least favorite of the three prequels, still holds a special place in my heart because of that.

That's really one of the best parts about Star Wars in general - it appeals to many different generations and has become one of the longest lasting pop-culture phenomenons unlike any other franchise that has come before or since its release.

I have fond memories of mom pulling me out of school early and taking me to meet my dad at the theater near his work and getting to see Phantom Menace on its release date. :unsmith:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah I totally had that weird curvy-headed brown alien as a toy for no reason other than he was a cool Alien.

Wow, that is the most offensive description of John Boyega I've ever heard.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

morestuff posted:

Embargo ends tomorrow morning.

Interesting. I'm kind of torn on whether or not I want to have a general impression of shittiness or excellence before seeing it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Wow, that is the most offensive description of John Boyega I've ever heard.

I will not stand by and watch the white genocide.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fuligin posted:

Interesting. I'm kind of torn on whether or not I want to have a general impression of shittiness or excellence before seeing it.

Prepare to hear about it whether you want to or not

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

morestuff posted:

Yeah I'm mostly resigned to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Force Awakens will be the worst thing ever created by mankind while also revolutionizing film and changing the way you view the world.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's going to be a pretty darn good movie, if you'll pardon my language.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Prepare to see all your friends with Lightsabers haphazardly plastered across their profile pictures on Facebook

Jedi/Sith your profile picture of the rainbow flag on top of an image of you voting for marriage equality in support of France. TRY NOW!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

morestuff posted:

It's possible. It's only two days. I've asked everyone I know not to mention it. I'll be browsing bookmarks only on SA (and even then might just abstain), turning off news alerts on my phone and listening to old podcasts instead of AM radio on my drives to work. I've never tried to do something like this before but I don't see why it won't be possible. Plan to sit down right as the lights dim on thursday night so I don't even hear the buzz in the queue.

Strange? Maybe. but it'll be doable I think.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the worst thing I could hear, I think, is that it's mediocre. I want it to be amazing or godawful.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i want it to be mediocre

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Clone wars is so loving bad. I watched Phantom Menace last night and thought it was okay but drat man I'm over an hour in to the clone wars and I forgot how boring it was.

They're just entering the arena. It's gonna get better right?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
The movie will premiere in Mexico one day earlier than in the US, so I will get to see it earlier and wont interfere with my office holiday party on Dec 17. I don't know if this is true for cities near the border. You can take a trip to a Tijuana movie theater if you live in San Diego if you are really anxious to see it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

will this star war ever end???

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

Clone wars is so loving bad. I watched Phantom Menace last night and thought it was okay but drat man I'm over an hour in to the clone wars and I forgot how boring it was.

They're just entering the arena. It's gonna get better right?
The arena of DEATH

Just DOSBox Elder Scrolls: Arena instead and gag on your motion sickness while tearing your shirt at the midriff. It's the same effect.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That shirt rip was so unnecessary. Also i remember there being a really hokey moment when Natalie Portman falls onto the sand out of a ship or something and then gets up and is like I'm okay and runs away for no apparent reason.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

kiimo posted:

That shirt rip was so unnecessary. Also i remember there being a really hokey moment when Natalie Portman falls onto the sand out of a ship or something and then gets up and is like I'm okay and runs away for no apparent reason.

She handles sand a bit better than Anakin does.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

kiimo posted:

You would complain if she didn't run away too tough.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

kiimo posted:

Also the way she runs away is funny

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

She handles sand a bit better than Anakin does.

If Anakin fell out, the sand would get all over and then he'd be compelled to make out with the clonetrooper that came to his side.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Natalie Portman's war outfit in Episode 2 was the only good thing in that movie.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So have you. Grown more beautiful, I mean.

:suicide:

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Deakul posted:

Natalie Portman's war outfit in Episode 2 was the only good thing in that movie.

It really is the slave leia costume of the prequel trilogy, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Josh Lyman posted:

So have you. Grown more beautiful, I mean.

:suicide:

For a senator, I mean!

• Locked thread