Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The major complaint is that the cutscenes dysnc horriblely unless you're playing on a lower resolution (like, lower than 720p).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tae posted:

The major complaint is that the cutscenes dysnc horriblely unless you're playing on a lower resolution (like, lower than 720p).

I can't say that's happened with me at all. I could just be very lucky, I suppose but I don't see much about it from a quick Google search either so it's probably not that common. The major complaint I've seen about the port, besides it not supporting 4K and 144Hz is that the keyboard and mouse controls are terrible, which I agree with and you absolutely do need a controller for the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does the game have different cutscenes depending on who you chose as main character?

And is there a list of what quests give out, because I hit a point where all my quests are grind collect-a-thons.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Does the game have different cutscenes depending on who you chose as main character?

And is there a list of what quests give out, because I hit a point where all my quests are grind collect-a-thons.

There are a few cutscenes that change (such as when you first get the Monster Medals) depending on who the main character is, but a lot of them are the same.

As for quests, you really want to prioritize the ones that give you bigger bags or let you hold more monster medals. The rest of them generally only reward gold and ingredients.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I find Aurora to be a much more entertaining protagonist than Luceus, probably because she's gung-ho and crazy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She is a way better protagonist. The arc also makes more sense with "gung-ho protagonist and her brainiac but more passive best friend."

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the boy is an idiot

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tae posted:

Sounds like the cutscenes are designed to play according to an explicit frame-count. People having this complaint are probably trying to run the game at max settings, 1080p, on questionable hardware leaving them with sub 30fps. They could probably fix (mostly) the cinematics by setting the in-game 30fps limit, but if they can't even hold a constant 30 the problem will persist, it just won't be as substantial a dsync. Only option then is reducing quality settings.

Otherwise maybe some weirdo codec error?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is Monster Joker 2 as grindy as the first game?

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 8, 2015

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Okay, DQ9 mechanics question: I just got my party wiped pretty thoroughly by Hootingham-Gore, and I'm scared I might have hosed myself, since it seems like there'll be a bunch more even harder endgame bosses after him.

My party right now consists of a minstrel, a mage, a martial artist, and a warrior, all level 35 except the mage, who's 34. I've gotten this far without any grinding or reclassing, except for like 30 minutes of LMS fighting in the Bowhole to get a couple levels. I want to finish without any class skill grinding if possible, but I'm realizing that Minstrels are pretty bad, and my lack of Priest means I don't have any party heal spells. Is there a good way out of this? Have I hosed myself as much as I think?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If you don't want to grind, DQ9 may not be the game for you. :(

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
I mean, I know I'd need to grind my rear end off to do the post game stuff, but do I really need to go into the whole reclassing thing this late in the game, just to get to the end of the main game? What would be the simplest way to get whatever I need to get to the end?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Simplest? Watch an LP video on youtube.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm being glib, but if you're not enjoying the systems in the game enough to interact with them, I'm not sure why you're forcing yourself to finish the game. Put it down, move on to something else.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
That's the thing, though: I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. I started playing four or five days ago, and I've already clocked 20+ hours. What I've been enjoying, though, is the experience of progression, moving pretty quickly from place to place, progressing the story, and pulling past bosses by the skin of my teeth. Sticking myself on the floor of a dungeon and beating up metal slimes or whatever to get reclass levels is something I'll do if I need to to get to the end of that progression, but it's not as interesting to me as actually adventuring to see new places. Until this point, the game's been really surprisingly good at leveling the bosses and enemies appropriately so I can get past them without avoiding encounters, but without sitting around farming, either, so I was hoping the end of the game would follow the same path.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I don't remember if it was that boss specifically or a later one since it has been a while, but I do remember hitting that block and having to just strategize my team more. Even before the end/post game stuff the difficulty ramps up so at the very least it's likely you'll need to do some form of grinding.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Look, you're gonna have to grind. Period. In both DWM and DWM 2 I breezed through the game for the most part UNTIL I got to the final bosses... which all kicked all of my rear end multiple times. You just gotta grind until you can't grind anymore and then keep grinding another ten levels just to be sure, and then probably still lose. :smith:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the class system is like, the central appeal of dq9???

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

AriadneThread posted:

the class system is like, the central appeal of dq9???

I think part of the issue is that this is pretty much the first "real" lengthy jrpg (not Mario and Luigi, Pokemon, or DQ1) that I've played, so I haven't really developed the right mindset yet. I just started down the rabbit hole of alchemy a little to make some sick rear end flaming claws, though, so I'm probably well on my way to finishing the game with 45 hours on the clock.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

even when you first unlock the class changing system you can very quickly get everyone to like, level 15ish in every class and save the skill points to invest in the skills or your main class. The releveling blow is also softened in that classes that use the same weapon skill trees keep any skill points you invested in them regardless of the class you were when you spent them. Leveling up the class-specific skill is also ideal because the stat boosts it gives you (and also skills? I forget) you get to keep regardless of what class you are.
not to mention a level one with midgame equipment is way stronger then a level one at the start of the game.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
So If I have a minstrel and mage, and I want to at least have a priest, should I change my mage to a priest and my minstrel to a paladin or something? My minstrel has a bunch of points in the sword tree, and I don't really want to make him a priest and limit him to crappy staves for weapons.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

wocobob posted:

So If I have a minstrel and mage, and I want to at least have a priest, should I change my mage to a priest and my minstrel to a paladin or something? My minstrel has a bunch of points in the sword tree, and I don't really want to make him a priest and limit him to crappy staves for weapons.

Take your pick. That's the fun of class systems. Building your own team into what you think would be most fun/interesting/effective. Even if it turns out to be underwhelming, sometimes it's just fun to figure out a way to make 'sub-optimal' work. There shouldn't really be any cases like that with DQ9. Everything is pretty well balanced, outside of the post game bosses, which aren't exactly unbalanced, but just tend to require tons of grinding.

Only thing to really make note of, is that spells are not shared across class, only skills (what you learn by spending skill points on). So if you change your mage, all of those spells will be forfeit (until you change back to mage, levels earned as a particular class are retained). You minstrel by comparison has fewer spells to lose. The trade off, is the Mage has probably picked up a bunch of +magic passives that I believe will benefit the effectiveness of healing. Been a while since I played.

But seriously, decide for yourself. You'll have more fun if you are the one deciding how your party/characters develop. Otherwise it's a grind because someone said so.

EDIT: Oh, once you max a weapon class, you can continue using that weapon (and all skills) even as classes that can not naturally use them. Depending on how many skill points you are from maxing Swords, that may be a substantial undertaking, in which case, it's fine if you let that influence your decision. Some people would ratehr quickly grind out like 10 levels as random classes (skill points earned are universal and can be spent on any other class) so they could quickly max a weapon class, before going on to their preferred 'secondary'. If that doesn't sound fun/interesting to you, then do what seems more natural.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 15, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Monster Joker 2 as grindy as the first game?

Yes/No.

If you can get the swam of flies monster equipped with the metal killing claws, you can powergrind really fast.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Is anyone familiar with a good web resource in English or Japanese for DQ Heroes? I want to be able to quickly look up how to most optimally do these quests but there are no faqs on Gamefaqs for some reason.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^^^
here's the FAQ: just play the game, nerd

in dqv i got a hula monster in my party and it just makes everything hula dance including bosses. did i win the game? does this become less useful at some point? nothing can resist her sway

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^^
here's the FAQ: just play the game, nerd

I already did that once with the import version. Now I'd like to know some optimal strats to avoid wasting time.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
E: never mind

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I'm still wondering about a western release of the iOS version of DQVII. They said that the 3DS version would require a new localization, which would be difficult due to the game's size. After much flipfloppery, they finally announced a western release for VII and VIII. But it wouldn't surprise me if the iOS version got lost in the shuffle and forgotten about until it's too late for them to bother.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

I'm still wondering about a western release of the iOS version of DQVII. They said that the 3DS version would require a new localization, which would be difficult due to the game's size. After much flipfloppery, they finally announced a western release for VII and VIII. But it wouldn't surprise me if the iOS version got lost in the shuffle and forgotten about until it's too late for them to bother.

Tbh DQ7 is almost coming out too late for them to bother. So who knows?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I'm playing Dragon Quest Heroes, does anyone have any tips for the Atlas fight in Cyclops City? I went in blind with Psaro, Bianca and Jessica and it wrecked me in such a way that I'm not sure what kind of strategy I should be using. Maybe switch Bianca out for someone?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I'm playing Dragon Quest Heroes, does anyone have any tips for the Atlas fight in Cyclops City? I went in blind with Psaro, Bianca and Jessica and it wrecked me in such a way that I'm not sure what kind of strategy I should be using. Maybe switch Bianca out for someone?

Use Terry with his ultimate weapon at a very high level, spamming his Square and Triangle and going High Tension when ever you can.

EDIT: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/dragon-quest-heroes/277402-how-beat-atlas-2-minutes-aprox-also-999-hits.html

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 15, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am mad pumped that Dragon Quest 7 will be coming out soon.

So, DQH: What's the best way to grind levels? I've beaten the main story and every single optional challenge is super tough and I feel underleveled. Fighting monsters regularly for exp is mad tedious though, ain't there some kind of Metal Slime trickery to exploit?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Not that soon, is it? I thought it was Q3.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, DQH: What's the best way to grind levels? I've beaten the main story and every single optional challenge is super tough and I feel underleveled. Fighting monsters regularly for exp is mad tedious though, ain't there some kind of Metal Slime trickery to exploit?

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/dragon-quest-heroes/277287-video-guide-xp-farming-tutorial-easy-way-rank-up.html

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
DQ9 complaining update: just killed Corvus!

That was fun as hell. I ended up spending my evening last night getting my Minstrel some extra agility and max swords by leveling him a bunch in Thief, then blew through all the way to Corvus. My party ended up as [my name] (level 39 minstrel/30 thief, Espella (level 44 mage), Whack (level 45 martial artist) and Smack (level 45 warrior). The Corvus fight was super tense, but I managed to get through it after three losses, using a combination of constant four-hit falcon blade falcon slashes from Smack, a solid 2k-damage max tension Oomphed Flailing Nails from Whack, and a perfectly timed Yggdrasil Drops, blowing him out before he ever had the chance to use Magic Burst.

I think I'm officially a Dragon Quest Fan now. Which other ones have the closest systems to 9? How much of a culture shock would it be for me to start playing the Zenithian trilogy after this?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Closest to 9 is 3, so much so that it may be too similar and might find the experience boring. I do highly recommend 4 which focuses a little bit more on story and actual characters as party members, but not so much that it takes away from the classic DQ experience.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

9 is a bit of an outlier in the series. Nothing else has character building front and center like it, except maybe 10. 3 has making a party out of blank slates, 6 and 7 have an earlier and less refined job system, and 8 has skill points.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Outlier? Please. 9 is basically an updated remake of 3 with modern accoutrements like an excuse of a story and updated class system. It's a glorious return to classic Dragon Quest without taking any backwards steps on the growth the battle system has seen throughout the series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

3 was in many respects the odd one out until 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
There's no easily available modern remake of 3 except the phone one, right? I'd probably be down to try it out, but I don't think it's available on DS/3DS.