Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I just drop the hostage after picking them up so I can use my primary to clear a path to the extraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You clear all the terrorists first. In any of the hostage rescue TH missions (which includes the situations), activating the hostage routes all terrorists on the map to your location and spawns a small squad of about 4-6 guys, half of which will camp by the rescue zone and the other half will go towards you with the rest. If you clear the map first, then the only guys that will rush you are the couple that spawn with that extra squad, which are fairly easy to just wait by a corner to take out.

Yeah, I go around and kill a good number on the map. Then I grab the hostage and move to a good defensive position and drop the hostage so I can defend myself with my primary. Nice to plot out an exit like that.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I hope one of the new operators has Splinter Cells sticky camera as a gadget. Would be excellent for defenders to have a non-static camera to keep the offense on their toes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The fact that there's no operator whose gimmick is IR goggles to see through smoke is baffling. I can only assume said operator is going to be the first or second one out since it would really make smoke grenades a lot more interesting.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Pulse fulfills that role rather well doesn't he?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Pulse fulfills that role rather well doesn't he?

Smoke grenades are an attacker thing, Pulse is a defender. :) Plus the heartbeat sensor works through walls but isn't real time and requires you to bring it up rather than just turning thermal goggles on, so they don't really overlap.

While on the subject of Pulse, jfc Ubisoft make the heartbeat sensor and Montagne's shield toggles. There's zero reason why I should need to hold those buttons down, it's not even consistent with how other gadgets work.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
To be fair, when you have either out you can't shoot anyway so what's the point of being able to hit lmb?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Keket posted:

To be fair, when you have either out you can't shoot anyway so what's the point of being able to hit lmb?

It's not about being able to hit LMB, it's about having to not contort to keep a finger on G or mouse4 or whatever while I'm playing. I'm guessing gadgets are bound to LB/RB on consoles.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Keket posted:

I really like IQ's setup

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
/\ come back to PC gaming, I miss you.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not about being able to hit LMB, it's about having to not contort to keep a finger on G or mouse4 or whatever while I'm playing. I'm guessing gadgets are bound to LB/RB on consoles.

I'm sorry about your tiny fingers.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Keket posted:

/\ come back to PC gaming, I miss you.

[Heart-shaped emoticon]

We did have good times old friend. But unfortunately, my PoS computer has all but given up the ghost. No more pc gaming until I get a new computer. And idk when that'll be.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I unlocked Montagne early, and regretted it. Blitz gets the flashbang shield, Fuze gets the option to not take his shield at all if you just want his gadget and more guns. But Montagne... I don't get him. All he can do is make himself into a wall that can't even shoot.

Help me out here, explain to me why people would choose this operator, and how he would be useful. So far I only play terrorist hunt, and I imagine he's more a PVP thing, but I cannot see any reason to ever take this dude.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

I unlocked Montagne early, and regretted it. Blitz gets the flashbang shield, Fuze gets the option to not take his shield at all if you just want his gadget and more guns. But Montagne... I don't get him. All he can do is make himself into a wall that can't even shoot.

Help me out here, explain to me why people would choose this operator, and how he would be useful. So far I only play terrorist hunt, and I imagine he's more a PVP thing, but I cannot see any reason to ever take this dude.
He turns shield on and walks into the room, rest shoots from behind. Easy victory.

Montagne is easily the best of shield operators for PvP.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Montagne is the reason why having the defending team spread across a couple of rooms with murder holes and/or having a roamer is important.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
He is the best for terrorist hunt too. I had a random group the other day that stayed together for an hour and a half and one guy just played montagne the whole time, hardly ever fired a shot and made the whole thing quite easy for the rest of us.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Montagne's shield has slightly better coverage than the other shields even while not extended. While extended it offers 100% perfect frontal protection from bullets so you can look into rooms and call-out position without worrying about getting shot in the head or arm...that's not too shabby if you are tired of getting shot in the arm and head while using a shield. The shield also resist melee attack.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Montagne is vastly improved with a competent team and some communication. His weapons are crap but he has the only shield where you can be entirely invincible from the front.

Edit: also he doesn't have a big stupid helmet that counts as his head sticking over the top like blitz.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If people haven't seen already on the in-game newsfeed, the patch is coming tomorrow at 1pm EST with one hour of planned downtime.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I have been maining Montagne in Terrorist Hunt like there's no tomorrow. Seriously, I've played other operators maybe ten times total in the past few days, otherwise I am the moving cover that draws dumb AI fire at all times and loving it. The only thing you have to get past is that points are distributed really poorly with him, only giving out +20 points for drawing quite a bit of sustained fire, but even if you care that much you can exploit the poo poo out of the AI for easy kills, especially if you're on Hard or Normal.

Seriously, AI will just stand out in the open, dump their clip into you, and begin reloading, sometimes ducking into cover and sometimes just gormlessly standing right in front of you, waiting to be shot in the face or punted by your massive fuckoff shield. There's still some hosed up hitboxes, but if you know where to aim your shield and when to retract it, Montagne can be loving godlike, and can be a massive gently caress-you to a lot of the bullshit that Realistic mode tends to pull.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Profanity posted:

If people haven't seen already on the in-game newsfeed, the patch is coming tomorrow at 1pm EST with one hour of planned downtime.

Does the patch address their match making system making GBS threads up all the time?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
whats the new patch supposed to do

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!
It does this: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1355300-Patch-Notes-Update-1-1
Looks good!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:siren: Increased the amount of characters available tin the chatbox from 32 characters to 128 characters. :siren:

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!
The tickrate from 30 -> 60 change is interesting because the way they worded it sounds like they're running an experiment where some people get 60 and others get... something else.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

"PvP - Reduced time to detect Defenders outside from 5 seconds to 2 seconds."

Well there goes my entire defense gameplan

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Welp, post patch siege is gonna be amazing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

Updated server tick rate for PC (intermittent & temporary)
So, servers will have updated tick rate intermittently, and only for some time? :confused:

Ektor
Oct 16, 2007
patchs notes are up, thanks for the feedbacks,

by example the video showing the shield's exploit helped to fix it quickly

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Ektor posted:

patchs notes are up, thanks for the feedbacks,

by example the video showing the shield's exploit helped to fix it quickly

Merci beaucoup, friend.
I will contact you via p.m.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Patch looks pretty great :)

So whats everyones favourite dude? I like montagne even though I suck rear end with him. Hopefully I get to play with goons tonight!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

ChickenWyngz posted:

Patch looks pretty great :)

So whats everyones favourite dude? I like montagne even though I suck rear end with him. Hopefully I get to play with goons tonight!

Bandit, because his guns are sweet and so is electricity.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I roll IQ for attack, Jager or rook (to give my team armor) for defense.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If I'm playing alone, Thatcher for attack and Castle for defence. If my Glaz-picking friend is with me, I roll Ash on attack.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I like mute on defense but have started playing bandit more. Attack I like twitch because the famas is amazing. Been trying to play fuze more but every retard grabs him immediately then proceeds to kill the hostage.

Also when you are on the attacking team, before going to the objective please sweep the area before busting into the objective. The amount of people that are like What are you doing?!?! *Bust into objective, gets gunned down from behind* is amazing.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 15, 2015

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
We're getting pretty fuckin' good at this game imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze4uratyB9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VRW2KslH8

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
What's the trick to getting the best use out of Bandit? I'm never sure whether it's better to electrify reinforced walls or barbed wire. I've heard barricades can be a good choice too if placed effectively, but that rarely works out with pubs.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I pick Mute on defense if no one on my team does, Kapkan if someone else takes router duty. On attack I like Ash or Blitz, I usually always pick Blitz first round on attack just to see if the enemy team: A. can deal with shields, B. is getting extraordinarily lucky on headshots. If they can do either then I'll just pick a normal attacker.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

An electrified shield in a doorway shuts down drones from that entrance and will usually cause one or two people to shock themselves. Ash will just blow it up though.

E: rook on defense, montagne or twitch on offense. French ops best ops

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Great Beer posted:

An electrified shield in a doorway shuts down drones from that entrance and will usually cause one or two people to shock themselves. Ash will just blow it up though.
Electrifield barbed wire will also do the trick in a barricaded narrow doorway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
With bandit put wire in the middle of a door, put a battery down on the inner side, and barricade the door(or ideally have castle do it). So they get shocked if they walk up to the door to breach or try to drive a drone under it. You can also work as a sneakier mute and put shock wire down around the entrances to kill drones. People generally don't avoid the wire like they do a jammer so they'll usually just run right into it. Then if you have time you can pick up the batteries and move them to the walls.

You can also work as a sneakier but less effective Kapkan by putting down shock wire in the middle of side rooms that enemies are likely to run through. You can get pretty good success and sometimes some kills late game by doing this because people will blunder into the middle of the wire while running away from a fight. Plus they're WAY less likely to be destroyed by random explosions or gunfire that'll occur around the objective.

• Locked thread