Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok this is a fair point. 15% is a lot more than nothing. i wouldn't want to see the mta give up on express buses because the improvements are more modest than hoped for.

but it doesn't change the picture for a person like shaggar. and there are lots of fuckin shaggars out there. 115% of way the gently caress too slow and unreliable is still too slow and unreliable

a person like shaggar is irrelevant, because shaggar lives in a semi-rural wasteland. saggar isn't being inconvenienced by rush hour ROWs because there aren't any where he lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

a person like shaggar is irrelevant, because shaggar lives in a semi-rural wasteland. saggar isn't being inconvenienced by rush hour ROWs because there aren't any where he lives.

there are shaggars everywhere

modestly wealthy people with cars who would sooner slit their own throats than ride a transit bus to work

(solution: tax cars until the shaggars slit their throats or ride)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
would still rather slit my own throat along with everyone else.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or more likely just get rid of the people mandating the taxes, not that they'd ever get into office in the first place.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are shaggars everywhere

modestly wealthy people with cars who would sooner slit their own throats than ride a transit bus to work

(solution: tax cars until the shaggars slit their throats or ride)

:agreed:

and no doubt, we have plenty of suburban shaggars up here. hilariously their constant stonewalling of transit expansion (NO NEW TAXES!!) is the whole reason many of these lines are still buses on the street instead of higher order transit that's not in their way.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaggar posted:

would still rather slit my own throat along with everyone else.

traffic problem solved then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
like most americans, i don't actually ride buses ever

i just want all the cars the gently caress out of my way

http://www.theonion.com/article/report-98-percent-of-us-commuters-favor-public-tra-1434

the onion, as ever, is 100% true
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/09/if-so-many-people-support-mass-transit-why-do-so-few-ride/380570/

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

a reminder that buses were implemented in many cities as a literal conspiracy to destroy streetcar lines and sell buses

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yard salad posted:

a reminder that buses were implemented in many cities as a literal conspiracy to destroy streetcar lines and sell buses

this is sort of true

streetcars were both expensive and inflexible, and since ridership patterns were changing rapidly, city authorities were incredibly enthusiastic about the flexibility offered by buses

yes there was a conspiracy, but the conspiracy was to sell specifically Firestone® brand tires and General Motors® buses as opposed to other brands.

streetcars were dead either way. it was just a matter of who was gonna be the big winner in the new market for motorized buses.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

like most americans, i don't actually ride buses ever

i just want all the cars the gently caress out of my way

http://www.theonion.com/article/report-98-percent-of-us-commuters-favor-public-tra-1434

the onion, as ever, is 100% true
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/09/if-so-many-people-support-mass-transit-why-do-so-few-ride/380570/

the problem is every time they vote to expand or continue transit its always the worst kinds like buses.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

unfortunately, buses are the cheapest, the better kinds cost more, which means more of those dreaded taxes, tolls, and fees

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im fine w/ taxes and fees and tolls for good transit but buses are very bad transit.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like if you're a big enough city that you need public transit you can afford subway or etrains. otherwise you're kidding yourself about your size and everyone can just walk.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

im fine w/ taxes and fees and tolls for good transit but buses are very bad transit.

the problem is that we still need very bad transit.

buses are bad, and you will never ride one, but we still need that service to be provided to people who are not you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

like if you're a big enough city that you need public transit you can afford subway or etrains. otherwise you're kidding yourself about your size and everyone can just walk.

smaller cities still need transit, and they're not gonna levy billions in bonds to build subways.

on top of that, subways will never be enough on their own. it is not remotely practical to get a subway stop within walking distance of every destination in a city. not even close. you will always need other transit systems on top of the subway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

no, that's some bullshit from someone who has never lived in an actual city

in reality there are routes you need to service to have a proper network that will never have the ridership to justify an LRT or subway. people still take transit, but not enough of them to offset the massive capital and operational costs of dedicated infrastructure.

unless you really want to be paying taxes, tolls, and fees high enough to cover $50+ subsidy per fare so that people in low density semi-urban areas can ride underground too.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
for the record, the last time the nyc subway companies built a line speculatively in a "low-density semi-urban area," a subway fare could buy you both a beer and a dinner to go with it

and they still lost money hand over fist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have a joke of a subway line up here, built as a gift from a former suburban mayor to his old constituents. it has ridership in line with our busiest bus routes. the per fare subsidy for the line is ~$8, or more than double the actual fare

i.e. the TTC loses $8 every time someone takes it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
and well soon have another courtesy of our most recently former mayor & the spineless council who was too chicken to remind him that he couldn't unilaterally make change to the transit deal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

and well soon have another courtesy of our most recently former mayor & the spineless council who was too chicken to remind him that he couldn't unilaterally make change to the transit deal

*actually*

our former mayor had nothing to do with that one. he supported it, but it's not his project either.

the trans scarberian railway is thanks entirely to a vote buying exercise on the part of the provincial Liberals during the by-election. long after it was dead an burried the first time, they started talking about how they'd pitch in to fund it, and got then TTC chair Karen Stintz to float it around council. that led to the grudge-match debate that ended in it tentatively being approved (but not actually planned or funded).

it's still in that state today, it it likely will be long after the wheels fall off the SRT it's meant to replace

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

they do this already

gently caress yes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
there is usually at least 1 hot chick on the bud/train to leer at so that is good.. imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
You can get around Boston fine walking and riding the t. Maybe live in better cities?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

You can get around Boston fine walking and riding the t. Maybe live in better cities?

go ahead

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

I once went to a big city. The three places I went to were all on the train. So all places must be right on the train in big cities.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, boston is loving tiny. of course you could get around it just fine by walking, you could walk across it in like two hours tops

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people will take transit/cabs/uber pathetically short distances in sf it's like just walk some damnit a mile only takes 20 minutes and the city is tiny

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Chicago has a well built elevated/subway system but Chicago is huge geographically and the hub-and-spoke design leaves a lot of the city unserved and depending heavily on buses

there's been a lot of talk on the behalf of the Active Transportation Alliance and similar lobbying groups trying to link some stuff north/south including a line from MDW to ORD but I think that's p. much not going to happen, especially with a republican in the governor's mansion and rahm busy justifying the police emptying two clips into an unarmed teenager

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ok77gPdXo

the 300 metre long concreting pipeline is actually my dick !!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

also, boston is loving tiny. of course you could get around it just fine by walking, you could walk across it in like two hours tops

qirex posted:

people will take transit/cabs/uber pathetically short distances in sf it's like just walk some damnit a mile only takes 20 minutes and the city is tiny

parents with children, old folks, and people with temporary disabilities fall through the slots on these sorts of plans

the distances you can walk comfortably are not the only distances that matter. there are lots and lots and lots of people who are not going to take paratransit, but are not adequately served by the combination of walking + trains.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, if my earlier network effect post didn't make it clear, it's very important to have transit stops within~250m of any given residence. that will always mandate the use of buses in anything but the highest density ubran core areas, but it's critical to making the system usable for the people who need it most.

i was just making fun of shaggar for saying everything is in walking distance of the boston subway

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

is the new york transit museum worth going to? i'm going to new york city soon and it looked like something that might tickle the yospos part of my brain

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Leck posted:

is the new york transit museum worth going to? i'm going to new york city soon and it looked like something that might tickle the yospos part of my brain

if you like trains at all, yes, it is amazing. you don't have to be a window licking transit nerd to enjoy it, but it helps.

the transit museum is an entire abandoned subway station, with many of the original fittings. the upper floor (mezzanine) is a normal museum with exhibits about buses and power supplies and signals and stuff

the lower floor (track level) has one of just about every subway car ever used, in close to original condition, with period ads. like the 1920s cars have 1920s ads on the walls. it's really neato

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
someone should go to tokyo and come back and be like "gentlemen...BEHOLD" and show the new mandatory, fully funded mass transit plans for the largest 20 american cities.

obama's troops can march into the city councils of each city and hold guns to their heads until it is done.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beast of Bourbon posted:

someone should go to tokyo and come back and be like "gentlemen...BEHOLD" and show the new mandatory, fully funded mass transit plans for the largest 20 american cities.

obama's troops can march into the city councils of each city and hold guns to their heads until it is done.

tokyo's transit is funded by the national government.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if we're gonna steal something urban from japan let's steal their zoning laws instead

http://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2014/04/japanese-zoning.html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

in this mythological universe where a bus that doesn't suck exists then yes im sure people use buses instead of sitting in traffic.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tokyo's transit is funded by the national government.

yea, and so was my mandatory sterilization and lobotomy. failing to see the relevance...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

shaggar i recently went hiking in hong kong. they have a pretty good subway system that takes you a lot of places, but the trailhead to the mountain we were hiking is about 12 km or so from the nearest subway stop. there's a few people that live out there, and a public park with a family walking area as well as some pretty good mountain trails and a public campsite etc, but that place is literally never going to be serviced by a train.

so we took one of these to get from / to the subway station

explain to me how this is bad? im willing to learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah, if my earlier network effect post didn't make it clear, it's very important to have transit stops within~250m of any given residence. that will always mandate the use of buses in anything but the highest density ubran core areas, but it's critical to making the system usable for the people who need it most.

i was just making fun of shaggar for saying everything is in walking distance of the boston subway

everywhere worth going is

• Locked thread