Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Anyone know how long the discounts will apply to people who have Dangerous? Not sure if I want it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Gonkish posted:

I'm assuming I only need to install the Horizons update, and don't have to worry about the 64-bit or 32-bit clients, right? Yes? I hope?
Correct, if you have Horizons you just install Horizons. The other options are for people who don't have Horizons with the 64 bit client being the new one that won't run if you don't have a 64 bit OS or a GPU capable of doing compute shader stuff.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

uh guys

help

Terrain settings defaulted to ultra and my computer obviously can't handle it

Mercurius posted:

Incidentally, you know how we joke around that Frontier builds stuff from old code that doesn't include recent fixes? They're getting better, 2.0 seems to have been built on 1.3 instead of 1.1, meaning lots of the Powerplay bonuses aren't doing anything just like when 1.3 went live :v:. Hopefully that also means the interdiction mini game is less broken as a result.
I wonder if this means that repair costs are horribly broken again and it would cost less to sell and rebuy a Viper than it is to repair it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
traded in my adder for a cobra mk3 and holy gently caress this thing is fast ahhh

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Insert name here posted:

uh guys

help

Terrain settings defaulted to ultra and my computer obviously can't handle it

I wonder if this means that repair costs are horribly broken again and it would cost less to sell and rebuy a Viper than it is to repair it.
Not sure, I only had about 15 minutes to poke Horizons before I left for work this morning and all 15 were spent trying to find a cutter for sale in Yong-mart somewhere.

The Patreus 10% discount on imperial ships isn't working again which was a bug when 1.3 came out, hence my joke about them building from 1.3 instead of 1.1 :downs:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kuvo posted:

traded in my adder for a cobra mk3 and holy gently caress this thing is fast ahhh

I like to think everyone's first Cobra is their step into manhood in Elite.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Libluini posted:

Weird. I just did a short 5-jump route and didn't notice anything different. Maybe it only happens with longer routes?

Vape angry dude has the worst everything happen to him including load times for poo poo that is 3x longer than everyone else so I wouldnt worry about it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gonkish posted:

I'm assuming I only need to install the Horizons update, and don't have to worry about the 64-bit or 32-bit clients, right? Yes? I hope?

I did download only the 64-bit Horizon thing and it works.

By the way, low gravity planets (0.05G) are glorious. I used the jump boost on my SRV, made something like 5 consecutive barrel rolls and landed smoothly on top of my ship. :getin:

I also got a transport mission for 62 resonating separators 40LY away (2 jumps in an Asp) that paid 500k, not bad at all.

Sadly going around in an Asp has reinforced my idea that it's a worthless, unfun space cow good only for long range exploration due to its jump range and size 6 fuel scoop, so now I need to find another ship with enough jump range and internals to hold all my planetside / going around doing random mission needs (about 20-25 jumprange laden, at least 50 cargo preferably as much as 64, good handling and speed)

Lastly, did they change the combat AI somewhat? I did 5 mins in a hazardous RES in my Vulture and a loving Dropship of all things kept outturning me and blasting at me with beams, the drat thing managed to get my shields down, 25% off my hull and almost cracked my canopy before getting blown for its sweet 185k bounty.

Edit: about bi weave shields.. Look good but are they worth it? They only come in C grade, and compared to the 5A shields on the vulture they give like 315Mj instead of 385, it's kinda significant..

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 15, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Do you have "automatically deploy weapons" turned off in the options? I know it's just for your ship but there is a bug that means the data link scanner never deploys on the srv if you have that option off.
So make it so your weapons do automatically deploy when you pull your weapon trigger and be amazed when your data link scanner starts to work

Sweet, that fixed it!

Now the new question is why that persisted through beta to release.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TorakFade posted:

Edit: about bi weave shields.. Look good but are they worth it? They only come in C grade, and compared to the 5A shields on the vulture they give like 315Mj instead of 385, it's kinda significant..

They recharge twice as fast, so they are worth it for ships that can get a "decent" buffer and that can spare the extra juice to keep their sys capacitor topped off.

They are also the only way to make 2 large PACs fit on the vulture (they have the same power draw as regular C grade shields), so they were an obvious choice for me.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Stupid question here: can you remove and rearrange bobble heads? I'm tempted by the Christmas tree, but don't want to get stuck with a Christmas tree on my dash for the next six months.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Goredema posted:

Stupid question here: can you remove and rearrange bobble heads? I'm tempted by the Christmas tree, but don't want to get stuck with a Christmas tree on my dash for the next six months.

Apparently the menu for removing and arranging bobble heads is in the same place as the menu for paint jobs and decals. So yes, you can remove and rearrange, as long as you're docked in a station with a shipyard.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Astroniomix posted:

They recharge twice as fast, so they are worth it for ships that can get a "decent" buffer and that can spare the extra juice to keep their sys capacitor topped off.

They are also the only way to make 2 large PACs fit on the vulture (they have the same power draw as regular C grade shields), so they were an obvious choice for me.
Just a minor correction but they recharge 50% faster, not twice as fast. The 50% bonus applies to recharge when shields are down as well, though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

:(

The update through the launcher, being a completely new install, is slows as balls

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
What's the coolest planet you've found so far?

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Every time I try to launch 64 bit horizons, 99% of the time it'll crash to desktop on "preparing compute shaders" at around 49% after a few minutes or it'll crash as soon as it starts the normal preparing shaders routine and the hard drive sounds like it's constantly reading or writing. The only way out of that is to hit the power button.

I just want to land on rocky bodies using my nvidia card and newly purchased asp, why must it hate me?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So either I have gotten worse at the game, or somehow ships with 2 handling can just keep their nose pointed at a 9 handling vulture. I used to feel untouchable, now it's just nimble enough to keep them in my sight at all times, but not enough to avoid all fire. This is with A thrusters too.

Dunno little vulture, I loved you but I think that's time to step up. I don't have the rank for a FAS, but I can buy a pretty swell FDL, should I go for it? I mainly do pve. What's a good fit for the FDL, 4 medium beams and 1 huge fuckoff cannon?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Got a pimped out trading Clipper (if I can ever be bothered trading again), but the upgraded Fer de Lance has become my new favourite ship.

I don't even mind it's still ugly from the outside, and the black paintjob helps with that.

Buffs are real - it has all the powah now, and handles like a Vulture.

A class 3 beam in the huge slot is enough to see off anything's shields, and you can burn it non-stop with an A-grade distributor. Still want a huge beam though.

4 x medium frag cannons with 100 ammo is hilarious, though you have to be right next to target to make them work. But anything kinetic x 4 is mad damage.

Now, where do I go to land the SRV to find some materials to increase the (still terrible) jump range?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm digging the new black skin.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

mr_jolly posted:

Every time I try to launch 64 bit horizons, 99% of the time it'll crash to desktop on "preparing compute shaders" at around 49% after a few minutes or it'll crash as soon as it starts the normal preparing shaders routine and the hard drive sounds like it's constantly reading or writing. The only way out of that is to hit the power button.

I just want to land on rocky bodies using my nvidia card and newly purchased asp, why must it hate me?

At risk of sounding cliched, maybe check that your video card drivers are up to date?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

TorakFade posted:

So either I have gotten worse at the game, or somehow ships with 2 handling can just keep their nose pointed at a 9 handling vulture. I used to feel untouchable, now it's just nimble enough to keep them in my sight at all times, but not enough to avoid all fire. This is with A thrusters too.

Dunno little vulture, I loved you but I think that's time to step up. I don't have the rank for a FAS, but I can buy a pretty swell FDL, should I go for it? I mainly do pve. What's a good fit for the FDL, 4 medium beams and 1 huge fuckoff cannon?

It's almost like I replied to you, but that appeared after I had posted.

You make an interesting point re. 4 med beams + 1 huge weapon though. With small + medium slots I would definitely put lasers in small, but with FDL I think it works better the other way round - it's just too annoying to aim things with limited ammo in huge slot, and 4 medium beams use a lot more power (and generate more heat) than 1 large.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
No sign on the store of a Black Courier paintjob.

Or any Courier extras at all.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Annath posted:

No sign on the store of a Black Courier paintjob.

Or any Courier extras at all.

You only get the midnight black paints for having acquired Horizons through whatever means before the end of the Black Friday deals on December 1st, 2015.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sard posted:

You only get the midnight black paints for having acquired Horizons through whatever means before the end of the Black Friday deals on December 1st, 2015.

Oh :(

I had asked about Courier paint and someone said there was gonna be a black one with Horizons... no mention of time limited offers... Oh well :(

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Annath posted:

Oh :(

I had asked about Courier paint and someone said there was gonna be a black one with Horizons... no mention of time limited offers... Oh well :(
It was a limited time offer for 'Black Friday'. You had until Dec 1st to pre-order to get the skin but if you'd ordered before then or have lifetime pass thingy you automatically got it.

It looks pretty good, hopefully they'll make the black skins available in the store at some point (image courtesy of either Kaker or DBB, I'm not sure which):

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Mercurius posted:

It was a limited time offer for 'Black Friday'. You had until Dec 1st to pre-order to get the skin but if you'd ordered before then or have lifetime pass thingy you automatically got it.

It looks pretty good, hopefully they'll make the black skins available in the store at some point (image courtesy of either Kaker or DBB, I'm not sure which):

:negative:

I am filled with envy and regret

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So err... I installed the launcher and it offers Elite 32 bit, elite 64 bit and Horizons 64 bit.
If I install Horizons 64 bit, a) do I have to also install Elite 64 bit b) hwo do I get rid of the old elite 32 bit install, I can't find an uninstall function and it doesn't show under All Apps (win 10)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I haven't seen them mentioned much 'round these parts but I just did some light testing in a local HazRES with a set of new 7C Bi-Weave shields on my solid gold Donaldconda, and they seem like the perfect fit for long-endurance RES prowling. Faster recharge means less downtime between small encounters, and my combo of reinforced plating and a couple of hull packs helps make up for the very slight loss in shield strength. Plus, pack your ship to the gills with shield boosters and the difference in strength is barely noticeable, and the lower power draw compared to A-classing your shields should make them an extremely good fit for more power-limited hulls.

Also they're purple.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mercurius posted:

Oh gently caress that's sweet.

edit: I can't find an exact quote but I guess mike evens said that a balance pass for all the ships was (wait for it) on the list.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 16, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Hopper posted:

So err... I installed the launcher and it offers Elite 32 bit, elite 64 bit and Horizons 64 bit.
If I install Horizons 64 bit, a) do I have to also install Elite 64 bit b) hwo do I get rid of the old elite 32 bit install, I can't find an uninstall function and it doesn't show under All Apps (win 10)

You only need to install Horizons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shine posted:

I'm digging the new black skin.

#AllShipsMatter

xiansi posted:

Got a pimped out trading Clipper (if I can ever be bothered trading again), but the upgraded Fer de Lance has become my new favourite ship.

I don't even mind it's still ugly from the outside, and the black paintjob helps with that.

Buffs are real - it has all the powah now, and handles like a Vulture.

A class 3 beam in the huge slot is enough to see off anything's shields, and you can burn it non-stop with an A-grade distributor. Still want a huge beam though.

4 x medium frag cannons with 100 ammo is hilarious, though you have to be right next to target to make them work. But anything kinetic x 4 is mad damage.

Now, where do I go to land the SRV to find some materials to increase the (still terrible) jump range?
Actually on this subject while I don't see myself ever playing this game enough to afford an anaconda, it may be possible at some point in the far off future I could afford a Python or a Fer De Lance. Which is considered the better ship?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh gently caress that's sweet.

edit: I can't find an exact quote but I guess mike evens said that a balance pass for all the ships was (wait for it) on the list.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was something that was said in the last couple of days although I also can't find anything about it.

Also I think I've said this before but I'm pretty sure the Corvette is going to look the best in the black paint because it doesn't look like it touches the flair along the edges of the main panels which will contrast against the black panels nicely. The Corvette also has a lot of blue and orange glowing stuff which will highlight it nicely, too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Also the link to claim a steam key from the store just worked for me so anyone waiting on that still might want to give it a shot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was something that was said in the last couple of days although I also can't find anything about it.

Also I think I've said this before but I'm pretty sure the Corvette is going to look the best in the black paint because it doesn't look like it touches the flair along the edges of the main panels which will contrast against the black panels nicely. The Corvette also has a lot of blue and orange glowing stuff which will highlight it nicely, too.

I almost burned myself out at Arexe over the last few days and got to Post Captain on Sunday -- I'm curious about how close I am to Rear Admiral. Can't wait to get back in the 'Vette.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I almost burned myself out at Arexe over the last few days and got to Post Captain on Sunday -- I'm curious about how close I am to Rear Admiral. Can't wait to get back in the 'Vette.

I take it you were just doing pirate hunting missions? I haven't had a single one pop up and I've been trying for awhile meow.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

Also the link to claim a steam key from the store just worked for me so anyone waiting on that still might want to give it a shot.

Horizons is listed in My Downloadable Products, but Partner Keys still just lists Elite: Dangerous. Anyone else having the same problem?

Not a big deal either way; I generally assume the first week of a new release is going to be unstable and full of weirdness.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Oh and here's a cool ease-of-life interface change that has inadvertently put me in an unpleasant mood: they changed the faction rep display to actually show your progress from rank to rank, which is cool, but also revealed that the last 7 billion missions I ran out of Arexe in an attempt to boost my Fed rank counted for exactly gently caress-all :suicide:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Mitchicon posted:

I take it you were just doing pirate hunting missions? I haven't had a single one pop up and I've been trying for awhile meow.

Yah it seems like Arexe is no longer prime for pirate missions...

Any other good combat moneymakers?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Frontier released four tutorial videos covering the basics of Horizons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjbOgK-c2Ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV49hyUgVYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNW6J-bGPRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2uYM2ykS1I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I need help making a custom key binds. I have an x52 Pro that I've been using for a year, but using it to drive on planets is a real chore. I have an xbox controller I want to use for that purpose, but I have some questions. First of all, is there a button to clear a key bind? Second of all, why can't I set up the xbox controller triggers to be accelerate and reverse? I tried out the xbox binding that's available while on the planet, and it works great! But when I tried to copy that over into my x52 settings, the triggers 'stick' to a speed which is a very annoying way to drive instead of 'letting go' and coasting to a stop. Is this a setting outside of the driving section that I'm not seeing?

I love that they put a million settings for you to fiddle with, but man is it a headache.

• Locked thread