Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

Isn't that picture photoshopped? Something about the shadows looks off. That, and I'm fairly sure you couldn't ride in a subway in that position for long enough to take that photo.

People do nude photoshoots on subways.

The guy to her left looks absolutely miserable about his choice in subway cars. Which is probably the most authentic thing about that image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Let me guess...this person didn't serve.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

The ABSOLUTE STRAIGHT POOP made me very quietly laugh at work.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Pastry of the Year posted:

Sure, you may have followed Sementanks dot com on Facebook in order to keep informed about the best deals and sales on semen tanks, but you'll also appreciate their cutting-edge political commentary.

"gently caress nuance!"

Seriously, though, and pardon for the derail, but why do people insist on treating national debt like household debt? People lose their marbles over a deficit, and I understand military spending wasn't the smartest way to get into that debt, but freaking out over how much you owe other countries/the World Bank is probably how you get people supporting austerity measures.

Eponine posted:

I didn't even see that, amazing. It sounds so stern.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

It's a fairly obscure law, but being awarded a purple heart does in-fact give you an unlimited free pass to say racial slurs.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

People do nude photoshoots on subways.

The guy to her left looks absolutely miserable about his choice in subway cars. Which is probably the most authentic thing about that image.

Man, I guess this is what I'm missing by living somewhere with minimal public transportation!

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Let me guess...this person didn't serve.

Actually he did! He's just an old conservative.

And a Trump supporter :negative:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Eponine posted:

I'm so mad that someone spells their name as Jeph.

My best friend dated Jeph Jacques like a million years ago and says he's a really good dude, just waaaaaaaaaay too beholden to his fans at this point, making QC basically Tumblr: The Comic

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Unless you're politically correct. The you can go die in a fire.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just mentally replace "politically correct" with "a decent human being" every time you see it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheKennedys posted:

My best friend dated Jeph Jacques like a million years ago and says he's a really good dude, just waaaaaaaaaay too beholden to his fans at this point, making QC basically Tumblr: The Comic

Granted, I can't entirely blame him: I sure as gently caress wouldn't turn my nose up at earning 10k+ a month in exchange for placating some of the... Kinda out there elements of tumblr.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

TheKennedys posted:

That's what I have heard too. He also hate(s/ed) his fans because of how many are creeps. Not enough to not take their money, but if I could make a living writing one comic a day, I would take money from creeps too.

Last time he came up somewhere on here, I heard he makes 9k a month off of Patreon.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, I can't entirely blame him: I sure as gently caress wouldn't turn my nose up at earning 10k+ a month in exchange for placating some of the... Kinda out there elements of tumblr.

Hey Jeff,

Congrats on finally have a fat girl in your comic, you depicted her SOOO well! I understand that not ever girl is rail thin like Dora and curvy like Faye so its nice to see a REAL woman like Marigold in your comic. I have to give you props for having the courage to tackle such a sensitive issue too. I mean she did have any rolls, or stretch marks or even a muffin top, and I think that's great. Ya, put her in a bikini, break down those walls. Your a regular Gobachev my friend. Lets just say keep up the good work, next you can depict the “fatty” Marigold having a “fat issue” and being told its okay to be fat and its whats inside that matters. You can even end it with a butt joke like you always do.

Inconclusion, the above paragraph was sarcastically written. Try not to insult women anymore Jeph, I know its not what you intended but that doesn’t meant its not what you did.

~Kearsley

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Sure, you may have followed Sementanks dot com on Facebook in order to keep informed about the best deals and sales on semen tanks, but you'll also appreciate their cutting-edge political commentary.

Semen Tanks sounds like what a strawman feminist would call men. I love it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

hyperhazard posted:

Semen Tanks sounds like what a strawman feminist would call men. I love it.

Naw, its what we called your mom last night

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Hey Jeff,

Congrats on finally have a fat girl in your comic, you depicted her SOOO well! I understand that not ever girl is rail thin like Dora and curvy like Faye so its nice to see a REAL woman like Marigold in your comic. I have to give you props for having the courage to tackle such a sensitive issue too. I mean she did have any rolls, or stretch marks or even a muffin top, and I think that's great. Ya, put her in a bikini, break down those walls. Your a regular Gobachev my friend. Lets just say keep up the good work, next you can depict the “fatty” Marigold having a “fat issue” and being told its okay to be fat and its whats inside that matters. You can even end it with a butt joke like you always do.

Inconclusion, the above paragraph was sarcastically written. Try not to insult women anymore Jeph, I know its not what you intended but that doesn’t meant its not what you did.

~Kearsley

Iirc he stabbed himself in the hand after some rabid fans turned on him for drawing his "fat nerdy girl" not fat enough in a bikini.

Jeph Jacques posted:

So:

Basically what happened yesterday is i drank an entire bottle of whiskey, stabbed myself in the hand (not my drawing hand), had some kind of delirious breakdown in the hospital, got stitched up and sent back home.

Today I go to see the hand surgeon about my hand and a therapist about my emotions.

I guess something like this was bound to happen eventually. The monsters finally caught up. But at least I am ok. I feel very, very bad about all of this and would really like to apologize. I'm sorry.

There will be some guest comics for a few days. Thank you again for your patience.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

And this is why I don't automatically respect anyone who serves, because they often turn out to be giant pieces of poo poo. gently caress you, you don't get to choose who's freedoms your protecting you human pile of poo poo.

I love the part about 20 planes being given to Egypt. Please ignore the tons of materials given to Iraq, Pinochet and other tin pot dictators around the world during the Regan admin.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Who is telling these people they need to be PC anyway

Does someone like call them up or do they send a letter via registered mail or is it an online thing like a change.org petition

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Does someone like call them up or do they send a letter via registered mail or is it an online thing like a change.org petition

I can only assume it's a passive-aggressive plea for his long-suffering kids to stop sighing and pinching the bridge of their nose every time Are Hero opens his mouth at Thanksgiving and/or posting "Dad stop being racist" on his facebook posts about Muslims

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I do, but I need to find something to make it go faster. There are just too many are troops to antagonize as a hobby.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My favourite Depends are Mystery Depends™

"Mystery deepens"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Basically anyone who tells someone to stop saying racist/misogynistic/xenophobic remarks are accused of being too sensitive/PC

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

And this is why I don't automatically respect anyone who serves, because they often turn out to be giant pieces of poo poo. gently caress you, you don't get to choose who's freedoms your protecting you human pile of poo poo.

I love the part about 20 planes being given to Egypt. Please ignore the tons of materials given to Iraq, Pinochet and other tin pot dictators around the world during the Regan admin.

Yeah basically everyone I met in the Navy would not shut up about their SACRIFICES for FREEDOM and how much they valued FREEDOM. It only extended to white conservatives though, everyone else could gently caress off, die, or be thrown in prison.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elderbean posted:

Yeah basically everyone I met in the Navy would not shut up about their SACRIFICES for FREEDOM and how much they valued FREEDOM. It only extended to white conservatives though, everyone else could gently caress off, die, or be thrown in prison.

I was in the Navy and spent most of my days playing Halo or reading books. You're welcome for your freedoms libtards.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I was in the Marines and the reason I don't immediately respect people from the military is because people come in retarded and leave retarded, like myself.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Eponine posted:

We don't cotton ta none of that QUEER POOP 'round here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

Basically anyone who tells someone to stop saying racist/misogynistic/xenophobic remarks are accused of being too sensitive/PC

They're such delicate flowers, it really wounds them to be told they're racists.

Elderbean posted:

I've said many times, it's a selfish kind of freedom. Freedom for me and people like me, everyone else can just gently caress off and die. That is kind of libertarianism's appeal.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Is there/have there been any studies showing conservatism being linked to lower intelligence (based on school performance and grading)/low socio-economic areas or higher rates of poverty?

I know we've all seen the map of red states being primarily in the southern US, and the general lower income levels and lower rated education systems, but has there ever been any definitive study on this?

It always amuses me that Republicans seem to prey on the poor/less intelligent for votes by exploiting their inherent racism/classism/whatever-ism, yet completely and totally pander to the wealthy, and poo poo all over the poor.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Under the Trending section on the right side of Facebook, I found some public candidates for this thread:

The comments take it further down the rabbit hole.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Here, have a dump. Just some old guy that one of my friends shared a photo from.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

EZipperelli posted:

Is there/have there been any studies showing conservatism being linked to lower intelligence (based on school performance and grading)/low socio-economic areas or higher rates of poverty?

I know we've all seen the map of red states being primarily in the southern US, and the general lower income levels and lower rated education systems, but has there ever been any definitive study on this?

It always amuses me that Republicans seem to prey on the poor/less intelligent for votes by exploiting their inherent racism/classism/whatever-ism, yet completely and totally pander to the wealthy, and poo poo all over the poor.

I can't point to anything specific to answer your question, but I'm 100% sure the data are out there somewhere. Obviously, be careful tossing out statements like "the numbers don't lie--conservatives are fuckin' dumb," as counterarguments on social media (wouldn't want someone making GBS threads on your doorstep or worse) but it would be a pretty simple exercise in basic statistical analysis to work the data real quick.

Political scientists have been trying to figure this whole "goddamnit why are people voting against their own best interest over and over again" thing out for ages. What's the Matter with Kansas? is a good read if you want to dive right in and join the rest of us in being befuddled :toot:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
There's been studies linking racist beliefs to lower intelligence.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Eponine posted:

There's been studies linking racist beliefs to lower intelligence.

:justpost:

E: Anyone have a subscription here?: http://cdp.sagepub.com/content/23/6/454.full.pdf

china bot has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Dec 16, 2015

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Yes.

But would be sharing that thing considered :filez: ?

E: Here's the "conclusion" at any rate.

quote:

Current and Future Directions
Our review highlights limitations warranting further inquiry. First, the studies reviewed have overwhelmingly examined self-reported prejudice. Although individuals with stronger cognitive skills might be better at masking socially unacceptable attitudes, responses to straightforward questions about out-group attitudes are unlikely to require elaborate cognitive skills of the sort that differentiate those with lower versus higher mental abilities (for a discussion, see Hodson & Busseri, 2012). Furthermore, negative relations between mental abilities and prejudice also occur among university students (e.g., Keiller, 2010) and young children e.g., Costello & Hodson, 2014), and occur independently of education, rendering this account unlikely. However, in more complex or nuanced contexts (e.g., job-hiring decisions about candidates with ambiguous qualifications), those lower in cognitive ability may be less able to inhibit biases, failing to recognize and execute socially appropriate responses. We therefore urgently encourage the future use of nonreactive and
implicit measures of prejudice. Second, extant research has examined only Westerners, limiting the generalizability of its findings to other sociopolitical contexts. Psychological characteristics typically associated with right-wing socially conservative ideologies are also likely manifest among defenders of the status quo in totalitarian communist regimes. More research is needed to advance our understanding of social conservatism
in non-Western societies and its relations with cognitive ability, resistance to change, and out-group attitudes. Finally, associations between cognitive abilities and ideological attitudes in the economic-hierarchical
domain remain underinvestigated. Theoretically, economic (vs. social) conservatism represents an unlikely mediator (Heaven et al., 2011), but this remains untested. In closing, we want to be clear that this review does not inform the rationality, accuracy, or validity of right- or left-wing ideologies, but rather helps to illuminate cognitive factors contributing to ideological and intergroup attitudes.

quote:

Recommended Reading
Hibbing, J. R., Smith, K. B., & Alford, J. R. (2014). Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology. Behavioral & Brain Sciences, 37, 297–307. A comprehensive review of the literature on the differences between liberals and conservatives in their physio- and psychological responses to negative environmental stimuli.

Hodson, G., & Busseri, M. A. (2012). (See References). An article presenting evidence that lower metal abilities in childhood predict greater prejudice in adulthood through right-wing ideologies.

Van Hiel, A., Onraet, E., & De Pauw, S. (2010). (See References). A meta-analytic overview of research on the relation between right-wing ideologies and behavioral measures of cognitive style and ability.

Zuckerman, M., Silberman, J., & Hall, J. A. (2013). (See References). A theoretical and meta-analytical overview of research on the relation between intelligence and religiosity.

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Dec 16, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

quote:

Deary, Batty, and Gale (2008a) and Schoon, Cheng, Gale, Batty, and Deary (2010) investigated the prospective association between general intelligence in childhood (ages 10 and 11, respectively) and a combined social-attitude measure of racism, social conservatism, and gender inequality in adulthood (ages 30 and 33, respectively), using large representative U.K. samples. Their results confirmed that children higher in mental ability were less likely to endorse socially conservative ideologies in adulthood. A reanalysis by Hodson and Busseri (2012) tested the effect of intelligence specifically on racial prejudice and found that greater general intelligence in childhood predicted less racism in adulthood (average correlation approximately −.22). Although cognitive ability conceptually and statistically predicts lower SES and education (Deary et al., 2008a; Schoon et al., 2010), direct predictive effects of cognitive ability on social attitudes remain after controlling for SES, education, and social background (see also Hodson & Busseri, 2012), ruling out these potential confounds.

Right-wing ideologies offer well-structured and ordered views about society that preserve traditional societal conventions and norms (e.g., Jost, Glaser, Kruglanski, & Sulloway, 2003). Such ideological belief systems are particularly attractive to individuals who are strongly motivated to avoid uncertainty and ambiguity in preference for simplicity and predictability ( Jost et al., 2003; Roets & Van Hiel, 2011). Theoretically, individuals with lower mental abilities should be attracted by right-wing social-cultural ideologies because they minimize complexity

Given the established relations between lower mental ability and adherence to socially conservative right-wing ideologies and between right-wing ideologies and prejudice, it is conceivable that mental abilities predict prejudice through socially conservative right-wing ideologies.

Deary, I. J., Batty, G. D., & Gale, C. R. (2008a). Bright children become enlightened adults. Psychological Science, 19, 1–6.
Hodson, G., & Busseri, M. A. (2012). Bright minds and dark attitudes: Lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice through right-wing ideology and low intergroup contact. Psychological Science, 23, 187–195.
Jost, J. T., Glaser, J., Kruglanski, A. W., & Sulloway, F. (2003). Political conservatism as motivated social cognition. Psychological Bulletin, 129, 339–375.
Roets, A., & Van Hiel, A. (2011). Allport’s prejudiced personality today: Need for closure as the motivated cognitive basis of prejudice. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 26, 349–354.
Schoon, I., Cheng, H., Gale, C. R., Batty, G. D., & Deary, I. J. (2010). Social status, cognitive ability, and educational attainment as predictors of liberal social attitudes and political trust. Intelligence, 38, 144–150.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

:worship:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

The thing that breaks my brain is that I can't tell if this is serious or not because I have known nerds who would be really severely upset if a simple routine from their childhood was interrupted, even if it was as mundane as seeing Zelda OoT win best game ever. Even if this post were a joke, someone out there is damaged enough to be absolutely furious that a bunch of people like a different game and maybe want to encourage more developers to make unique games.