Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscars-star-wars-force-awakens-848906

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The run away is funny because she falls onto a sand dune in the middle of nowhere with a clone, and then tells him to get to the Dooku hangar and to hurry and then runs with him. It's always registered as weird with me because she should say "let's go".

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The big battle kinda redeems it and Christopher Lee was cool. Those clone planes must be like Taxi's with an intercom in the back for jedi to give you totally pointless orders like "umm.. yea shoot the fuel canisters!" and then congratulate each other for being so smart.

Comic relief yoda battle was mercifully short too so that's a plus.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can someone link the good Mos Eisley post from last thread? OI think it was made by Cnut.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Josh Lyman posted:

So have you. Grown more beautiful, I mean.

:suicide:

He's super goony.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 16, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Silver Brushes posted:

The run away is funny because she falls onto a sand dune in the middle of nowhere with a clone, and then tells him to get to the Dooku hangar and to hurry and then runs with him. It's always registered as weird with me because she should say "let's go".

Was it RLM that pointed out that they don't even necessarily know that Dooku is headed towards specifically a hangar? Like, Dooku could have just parked that poo poo on a rooftop, or in the middle of nowhere on the ground, or an underground lair with a secret hidden door that retracts to let his ship fly out, or like a runway. Hell he might not have had any escape plan other than peacing out on that speeder bike thing. But no, Padme knows it's a hangar that he's headed towards and she's gotta get to it.

Also, requesting whoever made it to please repost the Padme/Rey shooting gif.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mahoning posted:

Was it RLM that pointed out that they don't even necessarily know that Dooku is headed towards specifically a hangar? Like, Dooku could have just parked that poo poo on a rooftop, or in the middle of nowhere on the ground, or an underground lair with a secret hidden door that retracts to let his ship fly out, or like a runway. Hell he might not have had any escape plan other than peacing out on that speeder bike thing. But no, Padme knows it's a hangar that he's headed towards and she's gotta get to it.

Also, requesting whoever made it to please repost the Padme/Rey shooting gif.

poo poo, in ANH R2 & 3P0 just happen to crash land practically in Kenobi's lap, despite having a whole planet to land on.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
While we're at it, why would the gunners on Vader's Star Destroyer not shoot down escape pods with no signs of life? Have they never seen droids before?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Artoo programmed a landing area, no doubt.

And how often do youthink about your toaster or lamp when you're not actively using it?

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Zoran posted:

While we're at it, why would the gunners on Vader's Star Destroyer not shoot down escape pods with no signs of life? Have they never seen droids before?

They didn't want to waste precious laser ammo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Artoo programmed a landing area, no doubt.

Maybe they had seen Dooku's landing pad when they were landing on Geonosis?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Davros1 posted:

poo poo, in ANH R2 & 3P0 just happen to crash land practically in Kenobi's lap, despite having a whole planet to land on.

They didn't though? They were pretty drat far from where anyone was and the only reason they got to Luke was because the Jawas snatched them up and sold it to Owen. And even then, Obi Wan was still pretty drat far.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Maybe they had seen Dooku's landing pad when they were landing on Geonosis?

perhaps the military hardware has some sort of capability to detect ships?

The "how did they know it was a hanger/!?!" gripe is absolutely dumb

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mazreal posted:

They didn't want to waste precious laser ammo.

Would you want to be the guy to explain to Lord Darth Vader that starboard Turbo Laser #A76 is down two pips of energy because Gunner 241B wanted to loving shoot space garbage? Nah, didn't think so.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

perhaps the military hardware has some sort of capability to detect ships?

It's a CinemaSin.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

They didn't though? They were pretty drat far from where anyone was and the only reason they got to Luke was because the Jawas snatched them up and sold it to Owen. And even then, Obi Wan was still pretty drat far.

It wasn't as if they landed on the other side of the planet though. They fell, were picked out and sold in like, what, a day? Two at most? And then ran into Kenobi that night.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I know. I love it when people nitpick the prequels for evidence as to why they're "Bad", but refuse to recognize the same flaw in the original trilogy.

It reminds me of the box office argument. If a film they like makes a billion dollars, then that's proof that it's a great film. However, if it's a film they detest, then all it proves is other people are stupid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

because luke took them on a hunch. It's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Can someone link the good Mos Eisley post from last thread? OI think it was made by Cnut.

This one?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
When your movie is boring, it's easier to pick out the flaws.

edit: The Force Awakens has surpassed $100 million in pre sales.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 16, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Davros1 posted:

I know. I love it when people nitpick the prequels for evidence as to why they're "Bad", but refuse to recognize the same flaw in the original trilogy.

Faraci's semi-pan is actually the thing that gives me the most confidence in the movie, if the characters and action and pacing are all good then who gives a poo poo? I'm not going to these movies for intricate, airtight plotting

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

morestuff posted:

Faraci's semi-pan is actually the thing that gives me the most confidence in the movie, if the characters and action and pacing are all good then who gives a poo poo? I'm not going to these movies for intricate, airtight plotting

Pretty much. If it's a thin story with great characters and great action, I'm cool with that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The characters not working for me is why I don't like the prequels. Obi-Wan is alright though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kiimo posted:

That shirt rip was so unnecessary. Also i remember there being a really hokey moment when Natalie Portman falls onto the sand out of a ship or something and then gets up and is like I'm okay and runs away for no apparent reason.

I wonder what the breakdown among the prequel cast was on "this is going to do serious damage to my career, but I'll be rich" vs "this is going to make my career and put me on easy street for sure"?

My guess is Portman and MacGregor were firmly in the first group with both Anakin actors in the second, partially because I can't remember either of their names.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OK, so I know someone personally who is a very good friend who has seen the movie. As someone who runs a joke TFA twitter account you can choose whether to believe me or not, I don't really have any way to prove either way or not and I don't really have anything particularly revolutionary. Using spoiler tags regardless to not upset anyone.

* Friend says the movie is absolutely solid, and if you're a Star Wars fan you will absolutely love it.
* Adam Driver is superb, which alleviated my worries - I wasn't convinced based on the VO in the trailers but he says the voice is fantastic, "better than Vader".
* Daisy Ridley is the main character, something most of us expected but nice to see confirmed.
* I asked should I know how much screen time Mark Hamill gets, he declined to answer.
* Says the ending is substantial and leaves you fulfilled when I asked him if I will enjoy the ending.

I'm seeing it so soon I didn't even want to press him further, and I'm sure he didn't want to ruin it for me anyway. He's pretty impartial, so his opinion means more to me than most celebs because I know we have similar tastes. Can't wait until Thursday.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Davros1 posted:

It wasn't as if they landed on the other side of the planet though. They fell, were picked out and sold in like, what, a day? Two at most? And then ran into Kenobi that night.

It's almost like there's a mystical energy guiding things along a certain path. Call it a 'force,' if you must.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

the post where a goon talks about the special edition edits of the scence.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

the post where a goon talks about the special edition edits of the scence.

I was kidding with my first post. This is probably the one

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

OK, so I know someone personally who is a very good friend who has seen the movie. As someone who runs a joke TFA twitter account you can choose whether to believe me or not, I don't really have any way to prove either way or not and I don't really have anything particularly revolutionary. Using spoiler tags regardless to not upset anyone.

* Friend says the movie is absolutely solid, and if you're a Star Wars fan you will absolutely love it.
* Adam Driver is superb, which alleviated my worries - I wasn't convinced based on the VO in the trailers but he says the voice is fantastic, "better than Vader".
* Daisy Ridley is the main character, something most of us expected but nice to see confirmed.
* I asked should I know how much screen time Mark Hamill gets, he declined to answer.
* Says the ending is substantial and leaves you fulfilled when I asked him if I will enjoy the ending.

I'm seeing it so soon I didn't even want to press him further, and I'm sure he didn't want to ruin it for me anyway. He's pretty impartial, so his opinion means more to me than most celebs because I know we have similar tastes. Can't wait until Thursday.
Cool thanks.

I don't want to look up spoilers but I do wanna know if people think the movie sucks or not, so not a lot of internet places I can wander.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Newsflash, elements of Science Fantasy Space Opera don't make sense! :fuckoff:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I got my (and my friends) tickets today. IMAX 3d. 2am on the 18th. Hope it's worth it.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

TG-Chrono posted:

Why The Politics Of The 'Star Wars' Universe Makes No Sense

Obviously the depiction of the legislature in Star Wars isn't going to make perfect sense, because it has to be conceptually simplified as well as condensed for time, and also altered for dramatic purposes. It's incredibly easy to show how it's unrealistic. But, amazingly, this article manages to fail at it:

quote:

The Senators represents worlds and groups of worlds. But there are also Senators representing what are essentially government agencies, which sounds pretty odd when you think about it.

The Trade Federation is clearly not a government agency. It's a private megacorporation that has a monopoly on trade. It is pretty odd that they have a seat in the Senate. That's kind of the point.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 16, 2015

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Star Guarded posted:

Cool thanks.

I don't want to look up spoilers but I do wanna know if people think the movie sucks or not, so not a lot of internet places I can wander.

Some people love the movie, others think it is aggressively mediocre. Spoiler alert.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TG-Chrono posted:

That NPR politics podcast came up on my playlist and as usual the hosts were awful. They had guests on explaining how the Republic seemed like its institutions weren't set up well or working right (duh) and that the Jedi were a really bizarre organization that might *gasp* be part of the problem. The hosts laughed off the idea that the Jedi might even be slightly not good. (And of course they took it as read that nobody liked the prequels.) Last week they had me pounding the steering wheel in a half-hour podcast about the Republican field that used too many sports metaphors for me to count but never mentioned a single policy position of any candidate.

Cnut the Great posted:

Why The Politics Of The 'Star Wars' Universe Makes No Sense

Obviously the depiction of the legislature in Star Wars isn't going to make perfect sense, because it has to be conceptually simplified as well as condensed for time, and also altered for dramatic purposes. It's incredibly easy to show how it's unrealistic. But, amazingly, this article manages to fail at it:

The Trade Federation is clearly not a government agency. It's a private megacorporation that has a monopoly on trade. It is pretty odd that they have a seat in the Senate. That's kind of the point.

It's not even that odd for major industries to have representation in the legislature. Some would argue it's more healthy than having them buy votes. Hong Kong or Germany both have similar setups.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 16, 2015

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
NPRs political commentary is awful. CarTalk reruns are good though. PHC is good too though ive heard Garrison is a huge dick in real life.

Edit: Also Serial was fascinating for the precise moment you could tell Koenig knew the guy was guilty.

Danger fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 16, 2015

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I mindlessly clicked to gbs. gently caress, gently caress.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Walrus posted:

gently caress I mindlessly clicked to gbs. gently caress, gently caress.

What's wrong?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

gfanikf posted:

What's wrong?

That's a pretty standard reaction, I think.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

gfanikf posted:

What's wrong?

in the half second I was there my eyes went right to the two huge spoilers in a thread title halfway down the page :(

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

gfanikf posted:

What's wrong?

There's a thread titled: That time Obi-Wan made a child cry

hosed up, if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Walrus posted:

in the half second I was there my eyes went right to the two huge spoilers in a thread title halfway down the page :(

You're a better man now for it.

• Locked thread