Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Even in the officer corps, if you're out on patrol you're not of sufficient rank to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Syncopated posted:

Syrian intelligence

*snicker*

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
But they are going to run out of Syrian soldiers are some point right

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I watched the Frontline about Syria recently and the biggest suprise to me was how not at war the Capitol seemed. Some weird managed propaganda feel to it, but the elites in Damascus seem to be doing just fine tyvm.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

If you try to correct the TOW circling, you will miss. You just have to hold it on target. I forget the specific reason but it's part of the wire guided poo poo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zeris posted:

But they are going to run out of Syrian soldiers are some point right

Syria will defend themselves to the last Russian

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

When Syrian tactics start to be logical, we'll know Russian troops have moved into position like in Korea.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Munnin The Crab posted:

Ahh I was under the impression that the mats were immobile, like slotted into an indent in the deck or something.
Wait, now that I think about it more, why doesn't the Navy use combustible cases like tanks do? Having a bunch of cylinders rolling around a deck during a potential engagement seems like a hazard that someone would have nixed somewhere along the line. That, or some kind of reflective tape dispenser that slaps a PT belt onto every spent round as it exits the turret. Safety first, sailor!

Edit: Combustible cases + ship makes less sense now that I think about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMs4IJQVRYM

All of those shells (except for the couple that a few people save for themselves) will just get tossed overboard. In an actual engagement with the 5" no one is going to give two shits about those shells flopping around on deck and most of them will get knocked overboard while maneuvering anyways. Those mats are only put out for preplanned exercises. Any actual combat no one is going to give a gently caress about the deck dents because it'll be the first navy shelling since 89 iirc.

But adding extra explosive/flammable material to a weapons mag on a ship isn't a good idea.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

If you try to correct the TOW circling, you will miss. You just have to hold it on target. I forget the specific reason but it's part of the wire guided poo poo.

I think it uses the flare at the back of the missile. It adjusts the missile's trajectory so the big glowing light lines up with the sensor on the tube, which is kept pointed at the target. The wires are what sends the signals that steer the missile. Trying to correct the TOW's circling in any way other than keeping it on target is giving it a new point to turn and aim at.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

All of those shells (except for the couple that a few people save for themselves) will just get tossed overboard. In an actual engagement with the 5" no one is going to give two shits about those shells flopping around on deck and most of them will get knocked overboard while maneuvering anyways. Those mats are only put out for preplanned exercises. Any actual combat no one is going to give a gently caress about the deck dents because it'll be the first navy shelling since 89 iirc.

But adding extra explosive/flammable material to a weapons mag on a ship isn't a good idea.

On my boat (DDG-996) in the early 90's we (the OI div) were assigned the fantail to take care of. This was because of some previous in-port fuckery before I got there. Anyways, the GMs did not give 1 gently caress, and barely made any effort to cushion the shell casings during a shoot. Repairing non-skid sucks. We also had the mid Harpoon deck, so got to fix scorch marks also.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They still have that type of division of labor today. OD doesn't own the entire topside on a DDG even if they do the bulk of the work. They typically own the entire forecastle, though, outside of the VLS and 5" mount. Sometimes CG will own the area inside the danger circle around the 5" mount as well, but I've seen that go either way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

monkeytennis posted:

This is the bit for me. Why the gently caress aren't they learning and adapting their tactics??

Inshallah

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

They still have that type of division of labor today. OD doesn't own the entire topside on a DDG even if they do the bulk of the work. They typically own the entire forecastle, though, outside of the VLS and 5" mount. Sometimes CG will own the area inside the danger circle around the 5" mount as well, but I've seen that go either way.

Me on the fantail while in Todd Shipyards sometime around '91 defending freedom.
"This is my needle gun. There are many like it but this is mine. My needle gun is my best friend. It is my life. My needle gun, without me, is useless. Without my needle gun, I am useless. I must chip paint with my needle gun true. I must chip paint straighter and not fall asleep. I must chip before I fall asleep. I will...maybe"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Rocking those god drat dungarees like a boss.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it uses the flare at the back of the missile. It adjusts the missile's trajectory so the big glowing light lines up with the sensor on the tube, which is kept pointed at the target. The wires are what sends the signals that steer the missile. Trying to correct the TOW's circling in any way other than keeping it on target is giving it a new point to turn and aim at.

A guy I knew in Korea (who had been in Iraq) got to fire one in an exercise and was told the following during the training beforehand.

"The missile is wonky as hell. There is the initial launch which sends it out of the tube in a shallow arc, then the motor kicks in and during its initial acceleration it gets even wonkier as it is trying to stay on target while its velocity is changing, making it weave all over the place. Once it gets to its "cruising speed" it finally starts to even out and the targeting computer gets a handle on where it is supposed to be going and what corrections it is supposed to make. If you try and do anything other than keeping it aimed at the target, it's going to start overcompensating and you're going to lose control as there is a bit of lag due to the processing and the control fins not being able to make instant and super precise course corrections. All you do is keep it on target and by the time it reaches the tank, it should be all caught up and going more or less straight. Any "manoeuvres" you attempt is just going to confuse the targeting computer, waste it's wire, and possibly cause it to run out of fuel prematurely. It might look like you're only making it move a few dozen feet in each direction, but at the distances we're talking it could actually be hundreds of feet, and trying to counter the waving causes it to get more and more off course and drastically overcompensate. Before you know it, the missile is doing this crazy wave pattern and skids into the ground, whizzes over the target's head, or has snapped a cable and careens off into a hill."

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Or you launch it and the cable immediately snaps and it flies off to wherever the gently caress it wants to.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mike-o posted:

Or you launch it and the cable immediately snaps and it flies off to wherever the gently caress it wants to.

or the missile itself never fires and you dive for cover like an idiot

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Knowing how it flies, I think trying to straighten its path to the target by doing "course corrections" is like trying to make a really long fishing pole try to straighten out by whipping it back and forth repeatedly to make it stop bending the wrong way, until eventually something flies off.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SumYungGui posted:

It's probably actually this. As much as I hate to use the word, the work "culture" in these militaries is very, very much "gently caress you do what I tell you because I'm a member of the ruling family/right tribal affiliation/sunni or shia/paid the right bribes/whatever and you are beneath me in everything. Exactly which one of those applies varies from place to place but whatever is chosen the guys on top loving stay there and everyone else god drat well does what they say. No feedback allowed, they're right you're loving wrong do it. Training/technical manuals, for example, are hoarded like treasure to officers only because letting the enlisted guys know more than the officers about anything at all is undermining how things are arranged.

If the officers aren't the ones getting hurt/killed by these problems then zero fucks are given and nothing will change.

Is there any insight into how ISIS/taliban/iraq insurgency functioned? Did the dudes in charge rule with an iron fist?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Meydey posted:

Me on the fantail while in Todd Shipyards sometime around '91 defending freedom.
"This is my needle gun. There are many like it but this is mine. My needle gun is my best friend. It is my life. My needle gun, without me, is useless. Without my needle gun, I am useless. I must chip paint with my needle gun true. I must chip paint straighter and not fall asleep. I must chip before I fall asleep. I will...maybe"

gently caress todd shipyard

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Reverand maynard posted:

Is there any insight into how ISIS/taliban/iraq insurgency functioned? Did the dudes in charge rule with an iron fist?

This article will give you a lot of insight into the formulation and structure of ISIS: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/islamic-state-files-show-structure-of-islamist-terror-group-a-1029274.html

And this PDF is about Daesh's "Strategic Messaging" that hints a lot at it's current functioning: http://understandingwar.org/sites/default/files/Dabiq%20Backgrounder_Harleen%20Final_0.pdf

But this America where reading is for fags and we're lazy veterans, so here's a Vice documentary. Skip to 18 minutes to get an idea of how the Hisbah work. 24/7 groups of guys enforcing Islamic 'code' driving around in minivans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUjHb4C7b94

Edit TL/DR: ISIS is a non-democratic state at war. The have institutional hierarchies, they tax, they make money, run courts, and have a 'monopoly on violence'. The Taliban were the same after coming to power after winning the civil war without ever truly beating the "Northern Alliance". For fucks sake, they came to the White House and we nearly recognized them. Depending on your faith in the messaging of ISIS, Zarqawi's AQIZ was always a stepping stone or bridge to the creation of the caliphate.

Miloshe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 16, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Miloshe posted:

This article will give you a lot of insight into the formulation and structure of ISIS: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/islamic-state-files-show-structure-of-islamist-terror-group-a-1029274.html

And this PDF is about Daesh's "Strategic Messaging" that hints a lot at it's current functioning: http://understandingwar.org/sites/default/files/Dabiq%20Backgrounder_Harleen%20Final_0.pdf

But this America where reading is for fags and we're lazy veterans, so here's a Vice documentary. Skip to 18 minutes to get an idea of how the Hisbah work. 24/7 groups of guys enforcing Islamic 'code' driving around in minivans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUjHb4C7b94

Edit TL/DR: ISIS is a non-democratic state at war. The have institutional hierarchies, they tax, they make money, run courts, and have a 'monopoly on violence'. The Taliban were the same after coming to power after winning the civil war without ever truly beating the "Northern Alliance". For fucks sake, they came to the White House and we nearly recognized them. Depending on your faith in the messaging of ISIS, Zarqawi's AQIZ was always a stepping stone or bridge to the creation of the caliphate.

So basically the military stuff is totally secondary, just a small price to pay to allow an entire generation of culturally repressed young Middle Eastern / Asian men live out their out-of-proportion rape & pillage & hall-monitor fantasies

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Zeris posted:

So basically the military stuff is totally secondary, just a small price to pay to allow an entire generation of culturally repressed young Middle Eastern / Asian men live out their out-of-proportion rape & pillage & hall-monitor fantasies

Uhhh, I'm not sure if you're loving with me or not. But as a simple answer, Yes. In Western Afghanistan it was very common for young men to work in Iran for years and years for the slight possibility to acquire some land and subsequently a "bride" when they brought there meager wages back. Now imagine similar young men existing within a slightly similar culture being told all they have to do is shoot an AK erratically for a month or so and some 14 year old European from Twitter might arrive at his door step. ISIS really is Taliban Turbo. They arrived more rapidly, took over territory more rapidly, and began to administer more rapidly following the removal of foreign forces from the area. The idea that either of the two (and I don't want to continue comparing them) was or is a religious based endeavor first or as a foundation is a deliberate simplification of some hosed up complicated poo poo. No doubt a lot of there fighters are motivated principally by islamist ideology, but the foundation doesn't seem to be. A quote from the Der Spiegel article I linked:

"In 2010, Bakr and a small group of former Iraqi intelligence officers made Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the emir and later "caliph," the official leader of the Islamic State. They reasoned that Baghdadi, an educated cleric, would give the group a religious face.

Bakr was "a nationalist, not an Islamist," says Iraqi journalist Hisham al-Hashimi, as he recalls the former career officer, who was stationed with Hashimi's cousin at the Habbaniya Air Base. "Colonel Samir," as Hashimi calls him, "was highly intelligent, firm and an excellent logistician." But when Paul Bremer, then head of the US occupational authority in Baghdad, "dissolved the army by decree in May 2003, he was bitter and unemployed."

This is a vignette that has happened time and time again and will probably continue to throughout our hopefully short lived time on this Earth as a species. Use some bullshit to energize the masses, throw a figure head out there, make money and wield power. Also I'm getting drunk so if anyone wants to continue to write about this poo poo on the Internet we should head to the drunk-tank, err, drunk-thread.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 17, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
1920x25000

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jesus, I didn't realize the Russians were down to only 17 fast-attack boats.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

forecastle

Just an FYI this word is pronounced "gently caress-skull" for your non-Navy folks

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
im a billion percent alright with a country's navy being a shadow of its former self

esp one which entrusts the average russian with anything more dangerous than cutlery

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TIMGd for readability

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MrYenko posted:

Jesus, I didn't realize the Russians were down to only 17 fast-attack boats.

To put that into perspective, anything older than an Akula is mostly a hunk of poo poo. Victor III is okay but its pretty much like one of our 637 class boats. The rest of the boats on that list were very old as poo poo and noisy nuke boats. Also all of the diesel boats older than the Kilo are pretty much all garbage as well.

edit : also the Oscar II is a pretty capable boat in the SSGN category.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ded posted:

To put that into perspective, anything older than an Akula is mostly a hunk of poo poo. Victor III is okay but its pretty much like one of our 637 class boats. The rest of the boats on that list were very old as poo poo and noisy nuke boats. Also all of the diesel boats older than the Kilo are pretty much all garbage as well.

edit : also the Oscar II is a pretty capable boat in the SSGN category.

Friend of mine is a nuke. I asked him about Russian subs once and all that he said about them was that they were "very detectable" which is probably the worst insult a sub guy can level.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Merry Christmas from commieland

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

maffew buildings posted:

Just an FYI this word is pronounced "gently caress-skull" for your non-Navy folks

'Foxhole' with a silent second 'o' :colbert:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
No, it's definitely gently caress-skull, no way would I mistake forecastle for "foak-sul" when it's clearly gently caress-skull

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I thought it was Foke-sill. :confused:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Bow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not the same as the bow.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

Not the same as the bow.

subs only have a bow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING