Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think that's perhaps misleading. It's not that the classic quest, dungeon, raid MMO paradigm isn't where the money's at per se, it's that Bioware simply lacks the skills to pursue that particular paradigm effectively. SWTOR is not a very good foundation for that kind of game, compared to its peers.

Also, there's lots of competition for the quest, dungeon, raid model of MMO, the elephant in the room being very old and deeply entrenched with its player base. SWTOR's been increasingly moving in a direction that its peers have not, carving out a particular niche for itself that its competitors seem to have little interest in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

Has there been any development in terms of a Mac client? Or is it still a firm "No"? I used to play this game upon launch, and would like to return, but I am not on a PC anymore.

There's little hope of a Mac client. The game does work on Linux under Wine (and so presumably would on a Mac as well) with a little bit of work and one significant bug which will crash your game a few times until you get used to not mousing over the mission tracker but is minor thereafter. The last time that I built Wine on a Mac wasn't hard, but it might not be worth it if you're not technically inclined.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Couldn't you just run Parallels in Mac to run it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dexo posted:

Couldn't you just run Parallels in Mac to run it?

I would think as much of resource hog as SWTOR is just doing boot camp would be better.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Medullah posted:

I would think as much of resource hog as SWTOR is just doing boot camp would be better.

Yeah Forgot how poorly optimized this game is.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Medullah posted:

yes, do boot camp. I'm doing it in paralells right now and it's basically not great on a 2015 maxed out 13" retina pro, as paralells does not give a gently caress about your video chip and it's emulating everything.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Dexo posted:

Yeah Forgot how poorly optimized this game is.

Yeah, I mentioned Wine specifically because I know that the performance hit isn't huge, while I'm not familiar with how well modern VMs do.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Anybody know what the CC cost is to unlock the snowball rocket launcher or the new tank mount account wide? I don't have a ton right now but really kinda want both of those.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Canopus250 posted:

Anybody know what the CC cost is to unlock the snowball rocket launcher or the new tank mount account wide? I don't have a ton right now but really kinda want both of those.

Snowball rocket launcher is 250. Just unlocked it. And in case you were wondering, the rockets work for finding parcels.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MMO players who do endgame content are a minority, and raiders a minority of those.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I gotta say, I wish more MMOs did a system similar to the conquest stuff. Gives me a reason to work on stuff like that.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
By popular demand, I'm moving the start time for HM ops back an hour to 8:00, so this week's runs will be at Thursday and Sunday at 8:00 EST. The highlighted operation is Ravagers, so we may just take a few cracks at Sparky (the first boss) and then return to TfB so we can get a full clear of that.

On the subject of times, are there people who would prefer other days? I know that Sunday isn't an option for at least one of us, so I'm considering a move to Tuesday/Thursday. We're usually just a few people short of what we need, so if we could pick up even 1-2 more on the average night by switching days, it would be a huge improvement in how often and how quickly we could get something going.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just a reminder that as Thursday is opening night for Force Awakens I will be reliving my youth and not able to make a raid.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Happy Life Day from the Space Bar:

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

Just a reminder that as Thursday is opening night for Force Awakens I will be reliving my youth and not able to make a raid.

I do remember that you mentioned that. Hopefully we won't lose too many others.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HundredBears posted:

I'll try to log on tomorrow night at 8 if we want to try something then too/instead.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks, guys. I've used Boot Camp in the past, and have no experience with Wine. So it would probably have to be Boot Camp again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

HundredBears posted:

Sooooooooo

Will be around on Sunday tho

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any chance of us getting an invasion sometime tonight?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Any chance of us getting an invasion sometime tonight?

You mean a raid?

Edit - Or did you mean conquest. Whoops thought I set Tattooine at lunch.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 16, 2015

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

I'll try to log on tomorrow night at 8 if we want to try something then too/instead.

I'll hop on and see if we can get a group together.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

HundredBears posted:

By popular demand, I'm moving the start time for HM ops back an hour to 8:00, so this week's runs will be at Thursday and Sunday at 8:00 EST. The highlighted operation is Ravagers, so we may just take a few cracks at Sparky (the first boss) and then return to TfB so we can get a full clear of that.

On the subject of times, are there people who would prefer other days? I know that Sunday isn't an option for at least one of us, so I'm considering a move to Tuesday/Thursday. We're usually just a few people short of what we need, so if we could pick up even 1-2 more on the average night by switching days, it would be a huge improvement in how often and how quickly we could get something going.

Tuesday-Thursday nights are not good nights for me due to work. I've been around on those nights recently due to taking days off, but that won't be continuing in 2016.

Those days might be better overall for the group, though. "DPS that doesn't know most of the boss mechanics" should be the easiest role to replace.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I wish more classes (or at least more companions) could equip assault cannons. There are so many neat models but you never get to see any if you're Imperial.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

peer posted:

I wish more classes (or at least more companions) could equip assault cannons. There are so many neat models but you never get to see any if you're Imperial.

And there are no Republic sniper-rifle-users. On one hand, it's nice that there are some small differences. On the other hand, it's kind of a drag at the same time.

Well, Risha uses a sniper rifle, but companions just aren't the same.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

prefect posted:

And there are no Republic sniper-rifle-users. On one hand, it's nice that there are some small differences. On the other hand, it's kind of a drag at the same time.

Well, sure, but at least a lot of companions can use them if you prefer. I'm not sure any companion can equip cannons anymore except that one new kotfe star fortress guy.

edit: beaten

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

peer posted:

Well, sure, but at least a lot of companions can use them if you prefer. I'm not sure any companion can equip cannons anymore except that one new kotfe star fortress guy.

edit: beaten

Yep, all the Assault cannon guys got turned into sniper rifles.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

HundredBears posted:

I was away this weekend, thus my absence on both days. Unfortunately, we're in Christmas Party season and I'll be absent this Thursday. Should make Sunday though.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007
Anyone on Imp side that can invite Giant'manbaby back to the guild.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

Anyone on Imp side that can invite Giant'manbaby back to the guild.

Hooray! It saddened me to lose Giant'manbaby!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

So wait, if you hit 60 before you finish your class stuff pre-KOTFE, your arcs are automatically concluded? Like if you're doing your content at level 59 and then something levels you to 60, you're opted out?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I had a guy blame his inability to get behind the rocks for Underlurker's Rage Storm on the server restarts and the loss of 5 alacrity mods.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Concurred posted:

So wait, if you hit 60 before you finish your class stuff pre-KOTFE, your arcs are automatically concluded? Like if you're doing your content at level 59 and then something levels you to 60, you're opted out?

No, why would you think that?

Iron Tusk posted:

So I had a guy blame his inability to get behind the rocks for Underlurker's Rage Storm on the server restarts and the loss of 5 alacrity mods.

Remember when I said "I don't think I can handle a pug Underlurker tonight" earlier? I'm psychic.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So can I just not do solo ranked WZs now? it says I must be at least level 55 to queue, and I'm level 60.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Concurred posted:

You can go all the way to 65 without doing any of the KotFE stuff. The only automatic involuntary change I know of is that once you hit 61, you don't get equipment as a heroic-mission reward; you get alliance crates instead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

So can I just not do solo ranked WZs now? it says I must be at least level 55 to queue, and I'm level 60.

Guessing it's a bugged tooltip. Ranked should be level 65 only, you can't queue without a full set of PvP gear (2018 expertise) and if you want to have any chance of winning make sure your gear is fully augmented.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

A bit late, but I think a lot of mmos are going away from the EQ paradigm, only WoW has really stuck with the Raiders Uber Alles and it hasn't really been working too hot, as besides raiding the game has nothing. (Maybe Legion will fix it.)

I've said it before SWTOR has problems being traditional because of how the rewards work. You get geared way too fast, and there isn't farming neat visual stuff to make up for it. So even if they did the release a few new dungeons every few months, it wouldn't work because everyone would be geared and the gear from em would probably look like rear end if it had a unique model to begin with.

Of course FFXIV just patched in the recent hellgrind, and its the worst hellgrind the game has ever seen so :suicide: maybe I'll play this again.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Finally finished my first class story, the IA! Gotta say that deleting every record of my existence and becoming the shadowiest of shadow agents with my crew of misfits was a pretty good ending for my dude.

I've also rolled an Inquisitor, the only class I haven't started yet. Everyone talks about how good their dark side options are, but I think it's pretty fun to just play as someone sarcastic as gently caress who wants to be literally anywhere else and insults the insane Sith at every chance they get.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

dmboogie posted:

Finally finished my first class story, the IA! Gotta say that deleting every record of my existence and becoming the shadowiest of shadow agents with my crew of misfits was a pretty good ending for my dude.

I've also rolled an Inquisitor, the only class I haven't started yet. Everyone talks about how good their dark side options are, but I think it's pretty fun to just play as someone sarcastic as gently caress who wants to be literally anywhere else and insults the insane Sith at every chance they get.

Both SI options are great, and they make for a VERY different tone and vibe to the story. The first Force using companion you get also will have a completely different relationship with you depending on it, without being a hard locked alternate companion like the SW.

Only caveat is that if you do go DS SI, go female, because hooooly poo poo the voice actress is amazing.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Fuzz posted:

Only caveat is that if you do go DS SI, go female, because hooooly poo poo the voice actress is amazing.

I disagree. Having played both, I far prefer the male. He's just so much more smarmy. That isn't to say that the female is bad, because she isn't - they're both great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

dmboogie posted:

Love my light side female Inquisitor. For me, hands down, the funniest of the 8 storylines.

• Locked thread