Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Westminster System posted:

As for the Liir.. answering that is spoilers. Even though probably no-one cares.

Kind of but not really - http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/Suul'ka

SotS wiki staying true to its source material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

StashAugustine posted:

SotS wiki staying true to its source material

Maybe don't click the link but copy the whole URL?

You lost at the internet.

or click here

http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/Suul%27ka

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dibujante posted:

Weren't the Liir uplifted though? With sufficiently advanced technology you could buffer yourself from this effect, but you'd never be able to develop that technology to begin with due to this effect.
Oh, sure. If we're talking about uplifting species, all bets are off.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Maybe don't click the link but copy the whole URL?

You lost at the internet.

or click here

http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/Suul%27ka

I think he knew, but used the opportunity of the broken link to make a joke.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Phlegmish posted:

I think he knew, but used the opportunity of the broken link to make a joke.

Clicking on the unbroken link returns a similar set of errors, so really, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm looking forward to the "living planet" Stellaris dlc.

Also looking forward to the Flash-Gordon-rayguns-and-1930s-scifi graphical dlc. Totally gonna spend steambux on that.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Takanago posted:

There's probably something wrong with me because I played EU3 and HOI3 on launch and didn't really notice anything bad.

HOI3 was so slow on launch that it was literally unplayable. On max speed it was still taking about an hour per month in 1936.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dibujante posted:

Weren't the Liir uplifted though? With sufficiently advanced technology you could buffer yourself from this effect, but you'd never be able to develop that technology to begin with due to this effect.

What if you evolved in the volcanic conditions? I mean extremophiles are a thing that exist and it seems a little premature to suggest that we know the conditions under which intelligent life and society can evolve. Maybe after we've explored some of the galaxy IRL we can start with such pronouncements.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Clicking on the unbroken link returns a similar set of errors, so really, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Yeah the wiki is straight up hosed. Can still read the interesting fluff but the core of the wiki is a jumble of broken scripts. Poetic.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wonder how Stellaris is going to be in the optimization department, EUIV can get sluggish after a while.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mister Adequate posted:

What if you evolved in the volcanic conditions? I mean extremophiles are a thing that exist and it seems a little premature to suggest that we know the conditions under which intelligent life and society can evolve. Maybe after we've explored some of the galaxy IRL we can start with such pronouncements.
Dolphins who developed volcanic metallurgy should be definite candidates for a sci fi space game but there's fairly significant thermodynamic reasons biochemistry works best at sustaining large complicated structures at a fairly temperate range. Thermodynamics, the most depressing science :smith:

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Question for a Paradox dev. Is the tech deck influenced by your policies? Am I more likely to get certain techs if I have a large amount of stations running studies on primitives?

I believe the answer to this question was, "pretty much, yeah". It'll be mostly randomized but you can swing odds in your favor based on your ethics, studying anomalies, and probably encountering other cultures.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Palleon posted:

HOI3 was so slow on launch that it was literally unplayable. On max speed it was still taking about an hour per month in 1936.

no, it wasn't. Your processor was just a piece of poo poo. Hth

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Sharzak posted:

no, it wasn't. Your processor was just a piece of poo poo. Hth

My processor was better than almost everyone elses in the thread at the time. HoI3 couldn't run on quad cores properly, or at least that's what I recall from the people who had the same problems and those who just had to deal with the game running okay but being lovely.

Edit: If I recall, Paradox ended up saying that they didn't have any multi-core processors for any of the machines they tested it on so that's why it couldn't run on them, because they apparently only tested and designed their games on ancient hardware.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 16, 2015

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I thought it'd be a good idea to try an HoI3 MP game on launch day. After 14 hours, we finally made it to the beginning of the war in China, when the game broke entirely. So I tried an SP game and made it to 1937 after maybe ten hours. There is a reason CK2 heralded the arrival of "new Paradox".

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
gently caress that, CK2's MP was still messy. Eu4 runs pretty well, though, and I've got good hopes for HoI4.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

You can smelt iron at about a thousand degrees C. Observed hyperthermophiles can function to ~120, and maybe survive a few tens above that.

The universe is absolutely a big place, but from what we know now, it seems pretty dubious.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

You can smelt iron at about a thousand degrees C. Observed hyperthermophiles can function to ~120, and maybe survive a few tens above that.

The universe is absolutely a big place, but from what we know now, it seems pretty dubious.

There's the operative word. Also it's a goddamn sci-fi game, be glad they're not giving the women of each species tits no matter their biological background.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kavak posted:

There's the operative word. Also it's a goddamn sci-fi game, be glad they're not giving the women of each species tits no matter their biological background.
Well, yeah. A reasonable hypothesis is one based on observations, not on appeals to the unknown.

Anyway, the game is the conservative element here - it doesn't appear to have any volcanic dolphin civilizations. I'm not making any criticism of its alien design at all.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't think appeals to the unknown are that fallacious when we're talking about science fiction.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Sci fi nerds in this thread, what is it about Fungi that make them so common as an alien race in sci fi genres? (Maybe they're not so common and it's just confirmation bias, idk!) Is there some special property of fungus that makes it plausible for a sapient fungoid alien race to exist? What make fungi more suitable than plants for a non-Fauna alien race? Or is it just a case of 'wouldn't it be cool if'?

Like I don't mind if it is the latter, I'm just curious because it seems like a cool thing that I'm totally ignorant about!

George RR Martin has written some cool short stories about telepathic and mind controlling fungi, I've been reading through this dude's compilation of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl8WQ8_iQSk

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kavak posted:

I don't think appeals to the unknown are that fallacious when we're talking about science fiction.
:shrug: It's just the harder-softer sci-fi spectrum. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having more speculative or fantastic elements in a story or a setting; they're not necessarily the most plausible, but they don't have to be, if that's the kind of world you're making. I understand that people often talk about the realism of a 'whatever' in sci-fi as an implicit or explicit criticism, but I really don't mean it that way here. It's just something interesting to discuss alongside.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I hope there's a completely unreliable freak race in the game so that when I get the itch to gas something out of existence I won't feel a twinge of guilt doing it.

Giant, sentient fungus people? Time to break out the economy sized Tinactin.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

apparently the only thing worse than paradox fans arguing about history is paradox fans arguing about fantasy

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

apparently the only thing worse than paradox fans arguing about history is paradox fans arguing about fantasy
It's not fantasy, it's science fiction. :mad:

Actually, what did happen to that norse mythology game they were working on? I only heard a tiny bit about it back when, but I was vaguely anticipatory. Do we know why it was canceled?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

It's not fantasy, it's science fiction. :mad:

Actually, what did happen to that norse mythology game they were working on? I only heard a tiny bit about it back when, but I was vaguely anticipatory. Do we know why it was canceled?

They cancelled it because they felt it wouldn't be up to snuff with their new standard of quality, same reason they axed East vs. West (Besides being hilariously late and misdesigned.)

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Since it's come up recently and it's a Paradox-published series, could anyone share what the Grand Menace Black 21 is in Sword of the Stars 2? Been forever since I've played the first and the second game was crap enough that I never really got into it. Been catching up on the genuinely interesting lore of the games but the wiki is as frustratingly vague as the game was at times. This is what I'm pulling it from. http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/Black_List

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kavak posted:

They cancelled it because they felt it wouldn't be up to snuff with their new standard of quality, same reason they axed East vs. West (Besides being hilariously late and misdesigned.)
Dang. Oh, well.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFTaiWInZ44

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

:shrug: It's just the harder-softer sci-fi spectrum. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having more speculative or fantastic elements in a story or a setting; they're not necessarily the most plausible, but they don't have to be, if that's the kind of world you're making. I understand that people often talk about the realism of a 'whatever' in sci-fi as an implicit or explicit criticism, but I really don't mean it that way here. It's just something interesting to discuss alongside.

If you really want to write hard sci-fi then the whole idea of classifying organisms according to Earth norms is completely absurd. "Alien fungus" is an oxymoron, if it is alien it can't be a fungus. It might, at best, occupy a similar function as fungi do on Earth and look a little like Earth fungi, but it isn't a fungus and calling it one would be scientifically incorrect.

Assuming that the general shape of a species that evolved as endurance hunters in the African savanna is literally the best suited for any sentient species in any environment is similarly silly.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

ArchangeI posted:

If you really want to write hard sci-fi then the whole idea of classifying organisms according to Earth norms is completely absurd. "Alien fungus" is an oxymoron, if it is alien it can't be a fungus. It might, at best, occupy a similar function as fungi do on Earth and look a little like Earth fungi, but it isn't a fungus and calling it one would be scientifically incorrect.

ah yes, hard sci-fi writers should, instead of calling their big mushroom people a sentient fungus, call them their own unique snowflake term like Xyagolofititi and never use the word fungus to describe any aspect of them. that sounds like an excellent strategy to make sure the reader is absolutely not alienated by your writing.

It's okay when writing science fiction to make assumptions or claims that don't line up with scientific reality. Sure, while theoretical real aliens probably aren't going to look like anything we're remotely familiar with, it's more difficult for people to relate to creatures that don't look like themselves*, and if your alien concept is particularly far out there, it can be hard for other people to even take your idea seriously. That's why you get so many aliens which follow the standard "Two legs two arms one head" humanoid template; you have enough room to play around different ideas, while still maintaining a shape that the average human consumer can recognize. It may not have any veneer of scientific accuracy, but when you're designing things to entertain people scientific accuracy tends the first thing dropped.

*Hint hint, this is also why the designated "bad aliens" in sci-fi tend to be the trend breakers here!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

VerdantSquire posted:

ah yes, hard sci-fi writers should, instead of calling their big mushroom people a sentient fungus, call them their own unique snowflake term like Xyagolofititi and never use the word fungus to describe any aspect of them. that sounds like an excellent strategy to make sure the reader is absolutely not alienated by your writing.

God forbid a hard sci-fi writer challenges his readers with something slightly more complex than "this ecosystem is exactly like Earth's, except that the dinosaurs became sentient!" How close a given story is to scientific reality is literally the entire point of the hard/soft sci-fi scale. A sci-fi story in which a scientists calls a new alien species "fungus" with perfect seriousness while claiming to be hard sci-fi is just silly, I'm sorry. Just as silly as people trying to come up with scientific explanations for the Force in Star Wars.

The skilled writer, by the way, has a character call the alien a giant sentient fungus, only to have the dedicated exposition guy explain why it isn't a fungus, which is promptly ignored by everybody. The really skilled writer makes his sentient fungus only look somewhat like a mushroom, with an entirely different way of gaining energy (like photosynthesis instead of consuming biomatter) and reproduction method (i.e. not spores) and explains why these differences matter.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

God forbid a hard sci-fi writer challenges his readers with something slightly more complex than "this ecosystem is exactly like Earth's, except that the dinosaurs became sentient!" How close a given story is to scientific reality is literally the entire point of the hard/soft sci-fi scale. A sci-fi story in which a scientists calls a new alien species "fungus" with perfect seriousness while claiming to be hard sci-fi is just silly, I'm sorry. Just as silly as people trying to come up with scientific explanations for the Force in Star Wars.

The skilled writer, by the way, has a character call the alien a giant sentient fungus, only to have the dedicated exposition guy explain why it isn't a fungus, which is promptly ignored by everybody. The really skilled writer makes his sentient fungus only look somewhat like a mushroom, with an entirely different way of gaining energy (like photosynthesis instead of consuming biomatter) and reproduction method (i.e. not spores) and explains why these differences matter.

See now I perfectly understand why people gave me poo poo in the XCOM2 thread for wanting hosed up cyborgs.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
so how about those balkan nationalists they're pretty goofy right guys

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ArchangeI posted:

Assuming that the general shape of a species that evolved as endurance hunters in the African savanna is literally the best suited for any sentient species in any environment is similarly silly.

That's why you call it Xenofungus and move on.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
The problem with completely bizarre and out there aliens with little resemblance to something from Earth is...the MOO3 effect. Or "I don't know what the gently caress it is. Space Jellyfish. That's what I am. ...Wait, my race is good at ground combat? HOW? We live on gas giants!"

Slight exaggeration, but if it's just weird critters, people aren't gonna like it and force it into earthling molds. Also, things won't make sense sometimes for race traits. Why would floating gas bags be good at diplomacy? They're not even cute, they look like monsters. Nothing relatable or kawaii. Shameful!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Strudel Man posted:

I'm just offering an explanation for why the mostly-humanoid set of body types we're seeing isn't that unreasonable. v:shobon:v The Liir are fine, and fun, but they're hardly obligatory.

The Liir for me are definitely obligatory :colbert:
Also I am gonna quote a great man which will explain everything on how an aquatic life form would be able to develop technology and metallurgy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought hard sci-fi just meant you don't meet any aliens and instead philosophize about poo poo while waiting hundreds of years to get anywhere in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

GrossMurpel posted:

I thought hard sci-fi just meant you don't meet any aliens and instead philosophize about poo poo while waiting hundreds of years to get anywhere in space.

This. And combat is about as visceral and interesting as a bad WW2 boardgame.