Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Ok, I am 20k Ly from civilization but I want to just try some planetary landing goodness on my journey back. Is my ship capable of landing on planets from the get-go or do I first need to install a special fitting (yeah I understand the actual ground vehicle must be installed but for now I just wanna try out landing)?

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Haeleus posted:

Ok, I am 20k Ly from civilization but I want to just try some planetary landing goodness on my journey back. Is my ship capable of landing on planets from the get-go or do I first need to install a special fitting (yeah I understand the actual ground vehicle must be installed but for now I just wanna try out landing)?

All ships now have a "planetary approach module" installed by default (if you own Horizons), so you should be able to do a little bit of canyon flying even if you don't have a buggy handy.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Black Keelback looks rad AF.*

*this probably applies to all ships

I can't wait to murder out my Iggle and my Viper MkIV

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

WHAMMIED! :(
I picked up Horizons after playing for a while earlier this year; having felt at the time that I was done making money and ready to go out and explore, but instead moved on to other games. Now with the added planet exploration and a purchased copy of Horizons I want to get back into Elite for a while.

Mainly just looking for guidance to finish kitting this asp out for exploration at the moment, but any advice to help me get back in is appreciated!

My biggest ship is an Asp currently kitted out as such, sitting on about 9 million otherwise. I think I've got the money to finish the job (with a good SRV?), unless I should get back into a trader for some reason to build up some more seed money.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Speaking of all this planet landing stuff does it provide any new decent sorts of income or is the majority of my game going to still be flying around going pew pew in space?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Speaking of all this planet landing stuff does it provide any new decent sorts of income or is the majority of my game going to still be flying around going pew pew in space?

The majority of the game is whatever you want. For me its staring at the bulletin board.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Why won't my rank progress bar move? :ohdear:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought Horizons through Steam and installed it but it's saying that my CD key isn't valid. I registered the Steam key through the Frontier site but I only have a Redeem button on my launcher.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
So how do you find poo poo on the ground to fight?

I did a mission for like 450k space gold where i had to destroy a generator in a settlement, i just drove up and shot it.

I have a number of missions to kill sentry bots, do they spawn out 'in the wild' or only around cities, and do i need to like take out the generator to take down the turrets then shoot all the bots, or what?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm still trying to bootstrap my way into getting an SRV in my Eagle. Shouldn't have sold that Sidewinder. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So my custom keybinds were transferred to Horizons, problem is this apparently means that the new SRV controls are relatively unbound.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So my custom keybinds were transferred to Horizons, problem is this apparently means that the new SRV controls are relatively unbound.

Did you beta? Mine transferred over just fine :iiam:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did you beta? Mine transferred over just fine :iiam:

No beta, but I am using the steam version.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there any way to tell if a station or city will have available and obtainable missions for me without docking there and wading through the Bulletin Board at each station individually?

Failing that, how long do I have to wait at the board for a new set of missions and (maybe) something I can do?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any way to tell if a station or city will have available and obtainable missions for me without docking there and wading through the Bulletin Board at each station individually?
nope!

quote:

Failing that, how long do I have to wait at the board for a new set of missions and (maybe) something I can do?

if you cycle through open/private group/solo, you should be able to reset the instance and get new missions.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

People said there'd be Cobra MkIVs. Where's my Cobra MkIV? I want it so I can motivate myself to get the MkIII.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Hoooooly poo poo the clipper is pure sex with that black paint job and the blue glowy. :fap: That alone is giving me a pretty positive vibe about the expansion.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So can anyone post some words about shields/hulls and combat builds in a post 1.5/2.0 world? I'm still pretty new so I've been religiously following the ship building guides. I know that with the new version, hull armor got buffed, shields got nerfed, SBS got nerfed. I know that SBS needs to spool up so we can no longer retract hardpoints, SBS, then switch back.

1- If you can fit an SBS while not retracting, it's fine you should leave it as is?

Something like this Cobra:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04A4A4A3D3A3A4C1b1b2424000m455e03f2276b.AwRj4yKA.AwhMIyIRgFhIA===?bn=Wet%20Works

2- If you can't fit it anymore, then swap the SBS for Hull Reinforcement?
So the standard A-classed Vulture goes from:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4A3D5A4B3C1e1e04000m004a5e2o6625.AwRj41JI.AwhMIkEYK1yA?bn=Maximum%20Pew%20Pew

To this:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4A3D5A4B3C1e1e04000m004a2b2o6625.AwRj41JI.AwhMIkEYK1yA?bn=Maximum%20Pew%20Pew%201.5
(might swap 1D hull for a 1C Fuel Tank)

3- Given that hull armor got buffed, is it worth going from Lightweight Alloy -> Military Grade Composite? Only if you're running a shieldless stealth murderer?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh, Horizons isn't on Steam? I downloaded the non-Steam launcher and registered my key with my Frontier account but the external launcher is still yellow and doesn't say I own Horizons.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Video of my attempt with my Corvette:

I tried this with a courier where my plan was to FA off over a planet to come down hard and then boost up at the last moment. I hit the ground at 700 m/s instead.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Bushiz posted:

I tried this with a courier where my plan was to FA off over a planet to come down hard and then boost up at the last moment. I hit the ground at 700 m/s instead.

Haha awesome.

I gotta say strafing around in my Python assaulting a planetary base like some sort of attack helo on steroids has been the highpoint of my gaming week.

E: chin mounted C3 frag cannon makes short work of skimmers

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I am so conflicted.

The Cutter's sound design and dashboard are pure sex, but the goddamned thing is a depressing chore to fly and it really does suck at combat.

I guess I'm a trader now?

Jesus, I hope they buff this thing.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I was all excited to drive my buggy but I guess the game doesn't want me to :saddowns:

Anyone know anything about this or am I just poo poo outta luck until a patch?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Haha awesome.

I gotta say strafing around in my Python assaulting a planetary base like some sort of attack helo on steroids has been the highpoint of my gaming week.

E: chin mounted C3 frag cannon makes short work of skimmers

Being down on the ground while someone blasts apart the turrets and stuff to look for the data links and generators is awesome. It's space arma-esque.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've set up my Asp for deep space, but the weight and power requirements of the planetary vehicle hangar kind of fucks up the build I liked. Plus, I feel like I need a shield now, because planetary landing isn't as straightforward as using a landing pad. I blew up a DBE with a maneuver like in the GIF above already while learning.

I have a point I'm still unsure on, but does the higher quality power plants actually improve thermal dissipation?

EDIT: Does anyone have that whitish-blue instrument color scheme handy?

EDIT: I have a loaded out Anaconda in mothballs as well cause it's a chore to fly. Has anyone made a deep space + planetary exploration fit for one they'd care to share?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Being down on the ground while someone blasts apart the turrets and stuff to look for the data links and generators is awesome. It's space arma-esque.

Update: circle strafing poo poo is fun until you accidently turn of flight assist on a 1.10G world and plow into a hillside. What physics started, the defense turrets almost finished. Managed to limp off with my tail between my legs and 8% hull.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kavros posted:

I am so conflicted.

The Cutter's sound design and dashboard are pure sex, but the goddamned thing is a depressing chore to fly and it really does suck at combat.

I guess I'm a trader now?

Jesus, I hope they buff this thing.
They won't. It was brought up repeatedly during both the 1.5 and 2.0 betas that the Corvette needed a larger FSD and the Cutter needed a bigger PDS/slightly better pitch but the designers instead put their hands over their ears and decided that everything fit their vision perfectly (regardless of how it performed) and that any constructive criticism (there actually was some, believe it or not) was clearly therefore worthless and to be ignored.

At least the Corvette is pretty great to fly so it's kinda like the FDL's bigger sibling what with the good firepower/handling and awful jump range. The Cutter is still not much like the other Imperial ships but I'm only ever going to use it as an armoured trader so hey, at least I'll be trading in style.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
Surface missions to destroy a generator in a high security colony: they seem hard until you realize you can hot drop them in an FDL or equivalent and pop the generator in seconds.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So before I submit this bug report/ticket, has anyone had non-0% progress on their Imperial/Federation rank? Or had it move?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Finding ships/modules is back to exactly as painful as it was on 1.0 release. I am going to burn out on Horizons before I can even get find an Asp for sale.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ManicJason posted:

Finding ships/modules is back to exactly as painful as it was on 1.0 release. I am going to burn out on Horizons before I can even get find an Asp for sale.

http://inara.cz/galaxy-shipyard/35

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

So before I submit this bug report/ticket, has anyone had non-0% progress on their Imperial/Federation rank? Or had it move?

I'm not sure I gained % on the bar but I did get the federation navy ascension quest I was due for. I just never go to federation space so I hadn't seen it until today.

Does anyone have a link to a thorough guide about how to scout out excellent trade runs? Like if I've got a Type-6 and 125mil in the bank, it seems like I could make a ton of cash smuggling (imperial) slaves. However, I could really use some instructions and maybe some facts about how prices are determined.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

All of that data is now wrong unless someone has gone through and manually updated each station within the last 12 hours.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing horizons content in Elite. Apparently I have to download a new client? :wtc:

Why is it not just DLC?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Just got the nvidia display driver crash they said they've fixed, but now it does not bring up the error box telling me it couldn't lock a D3D buffer! :frontear:

Also kinda bummed that the most reliable money seems to be slave trading again.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Well, this happened.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hey guys, don't try off-roading through craggy Europan canyons, I just spent over an hour trying to navigate extremely unfriendly terrain trying to get to my ship (and constantly dismiss/recalling it to try to find more favorable landing zones).

Got to it with less than 30% hull left on my SRV. Apparently Pythons have trouble finding landing zones in rough terrain. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I've been attempting to grind Imperial Navy rank in Liabeze via donation missions and got through most of Outsider (started at unranked, was having really poo poo luck for rank-up/donations despite everyone telling me that's the best place to go to). So it works for me I guess, with the caveat that I'm barely ranking up :v:

• Locked thread