Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I don't know, JRPGs are in a really weird category for me because I feel like I've played a ton of them and never really had any feelings but "lukewarm" to most. The only JRPGs I can really think of that I actively *like* are the Shin Megami Tenseis, Xenoblade, some of the Fire Emblems and maybe Kingdom Hearts? I don't think any of those have anything in common with Tales though.

e: Also a couple of the Disgaeas but I played them when I was a Weeb Teen so I dunno if I'd still enjoy them.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the strengths of trails are its character writing, slow-burn plot, and world building. The game does a very good job creating a believable world with characters you want to spend time with, and the plot is written in such a way that it both gives the characters room to breathe and creates interest in how things are going to progress.

The weakness is that the game is very slow. Overworld maps feel about a screen too long, battle animations can sometimes feel sluggish especially when you're dealing with random encounters, and the plot, while a great slow-burn, starts from absolutely zero and takes multiple hours to really build to a point where it's moving. This makes the game feel very relaxed and helps you get attached to the characters for when the plot does start moving, but it's not something you can just pop in and go.

whether or not this appeals to you is up to you.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So I see a lot of people talking about how good the plot is but I also see terms like "world building" and "strong characterization" thrown around so I have to ask for a distinction to be made: does the plot actually say anything of importance? Or is it like the kind of "good plot" that something like Suidoken has where there are individual elements of greatness but it's no more deep than a typical shounen?

Basically is it more Ghost in the Shell or One Piece?

e: Also does it require powergaming and if not can you hilariously break the balance over your knee if you do?

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 15, 2015

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
I have to say that I was very satisfied with the ending of FC because it gave you time to savour what you had accomplished before springing the hook for the next chapter.

The ending to SC by comparison though felt really abrupt and unfulfilling. While the story was at its heart about Joshua and Estelle, their growth and journey, and should probably finish with what they were going off to do like it did - what about the rest of the loving cast? One or two pictures in the ending credits doesn't really cut it. Show us at least some of the rebuilding and what they're up to if they don't want to comit to something like "so and so went off to do XYZ". I mean a loving giant floating city just fell apart and crashed into the middle of the kingdom so SOMETHING interesting could've been shown in the conclusion relating to that and what the rest of the cast was doing regarding it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

So I see a lot of people talking about how good the plot is but I also see terms like "world building" and "strong characterization" thrown around so I have to ask for a distinction to be made: does the plot actually say anything of importance? Or is it like the kind of "good plot" that something like Suidoken has where there are individual elements of greatness but it's no more deep than a typical shounen?

Basically is it more Ghost in the Shell or One Piece?

e: Also does it require powergaming and if not can you hilariously break the balance over your knee if you do?
i mean you aren't going to get the meaning of life from it but it does a pretty good job showing a world that's in a weird place politically and how that influences the characters and their actions. idk. the 'message' is still pretty much 'yeah, work together with people instead of trying to solve everything yourself, dummy' it actually builds up that theme consistently and establishes it throughout the world, with the party meeting a ton of memorable NPCs that help them out in various ways, and also showing the NPCs interacting and helping each other out, instead of just 'yeah we're the party and we like eachother.'

wrt powergaming: no
wrt breaking the game over your knee: kinda

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So it's basically a shounen then. I'll try In The Sky then and see if I like it, thanks for answering my dumbass questions.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SorcerousHam posted:

I have to say that I was very satisfied with the ending of FC because it gave you time to savour what you had accomplished before springing the hook for the next chapter.

The ending to SC by comparison though felt really abrupt and unfulfilling. While the story was at its heart about Joshua and Estelle, their growth and journey, and should probably finish with what they were going off to do like it did - what about the rest of the loving cast? One or two pictures in the ending credits doesn't really cut it. Show us at least some of the rebuilding and what they're up to if they don't want to comit to something like "so and so went off to do XYZ". I mean a loving giant floating city just fell apart and crashed into the middle of the kingdom so SOMETHING interesting could've been shown in the conclusion relating to that and what the rest of the cast was doing regarding it.

There's a third game that focuses on the other characters, but it's very unlikely that it'll be translated this decade, if ever.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Trails in the Sky is interesting because they give the world a tremendous amount of depth. Pretty much every single NPC has a name and a story, however small. It's one of the few games that by 100%'ing, you get a much better look at the world and the people in it. It's very character driven and the overall plot doesn't really begin to show til like the end of Chapter 3 of FC, I think. Besides that it just has a ton of charm thanks to the stellar translation.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

So it's basically a shounen then. I'll try In The Sky then and see if I like it, thanks for answering my dumbass questions.

I've read typical shounen stories about philosophical zombies and the ramifications of quantum mechanics applied to a macro-scale, so i'm not sure what the qualifier "a shounen" would even say in terms of plot

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My OS automatically updated a couple of days ago and now my Trails SC save folder no longer has any of my save files in it.

How hosed am I?

(I don't know if the two events are related, but the update is the only thing that's changed recently.)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Some Numbers posted:

My OS automatically updated a couple of days ago and now my Trails SC save folder no longer has any of my save files in it.

How hosed am I?

(I don't know if the two events are related, but the update is the only thing that's changed recently.)

Partially hosed. The game supports Steam cloud. Hopefully it will still have some saves.

edit: If you didn't have the steam version or weren't using steam cloud and stuff isn't hiding in windows.old anywhere (assuming this was the november update or just upgrading to windows 10) then yeah. You're hosed.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 15, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

havenwaters posted:

Partially hosed. The game supports Steam cloud. Hopefully it will still have some saves.

edit: If you didn't have the steam version or weren't using steam cloud and stuff isn't hiding in windows.old anywhere (assuming this was the november update or just upgrading to windows 10) then yeah. You're hosed.

I already have Win 10 and I got the game on GoG, so I guess I'm hosed. Awesome.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Some Numbers posted:

I already have Win 10 and I got the game on GoG, so I guess I'm hosed. Awesome.

Not necessarily. Check around in windows.old. Windows 10's November update/service pack is a brand new OS install on top of your old one. The saves may be hiding in Windows.Old (which will be around for 30 days)

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Endorph posted:

i mean you aren't going to get the meaning of life from it but it does a pretty good job showing a world that's in a weird place politically and how that influences the characters and their actions. idk. the 'message' is still pretty much 'yeah, work together with people instead of trying to solve everything yourself, dummy' it actually builds up that theme consistently and establishes it throughout the world, with the party meeting a ton of memorable NPCs that help them out in various ways, and also showing the NPCs interacting and helping each other out, instead of just 'yeah we're the party and we like eachother.'

wrt powergaming: no
wrt breaking the game over your knee: kinda

I never saw the game as a big "friendship" speech until the very end of SC, and I saw the more prominent theme as "any one can be redeemed, so long as they are willing to make the genuine effort to do so".

Estelle's justification towards Weissmann at the end of SC annoyed me to no end due to how preachy it was about something we've heard a million times before in Japanese media. I'll praise the day the "bonds" moral is deconstructed, and ambition and independence is played up as a virtue in either a jRPG or an anime

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Friends are cool. I love my friends.

Last week I used the Power of Friendship to move furniture into my new apartment and then play smash bros

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My save files are not gone! They got moved to a different FALCOM/ED_SORA2 folder.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slur posted:

I never saw the game as a big "friendship" speech until the very end of SC, and I saw the more prominent theme as "any one can be redeemed, so long as they are willing to make the genuine effort to do so".

Estelle's justification towards Weissmann at the end of SC annoyed me to no end due to how preachy it was about something we've heard a million times before in Japanese media. I'll praise the day the "bonds" moral is deconstructed, and ambition and independence is played up as a virtue in either a jRPG or an anime
lol, you're a douchebag who has no friends.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I also can't wait for the day when a JRPG finally has the guts to tackle a coming of age story.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Like seriously what would a "deconstruction" of the concept of bonds be? Some people are dicks therefore ???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Like seriously what would a "deconstruction" of the concept of bonds be? Some people are dicks therefore ???
the republican party

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Brandish is on sale for 10 this week

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It wasn't the power of "bonds" that led to Weissmann's downfall. Weissmann even brags that the power of friendship did nothing to prevent Joshua from falling under his spell again nor is it enough to shake him out of it. And he's right about that. If Joshua had just trusted in his love for Estelle and nothing else, he would have woken up from his trance with Estelle's blood on his hands. What saved the day was Cassius, Kevin and Joshua succesfully reading Weissmann's personality and using that against him.

I doubt we'll ever see the concept of people achieving things through teamwork being deconstructed in favor of the concept of every man being a bootstrap-pulling island. The latter just doesn't feel like an extremely appealing concept.

...maybe that makes me a commie.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

It wasn't the power of "bonds" that led to Weissmann's downfall. [spoilers]

In my opinion, what you wrote is tomayto, tomahto. It was the power of bonds that lead to :argh:rear end in a top hat's:argh: downfall. Had Joshua stayed alone, Weissmann would have broken him as soon as he got bored. It was J's bond with Estelle that made him ask for help. As for reading W's personality, well, that was a frankly easy mark. Dude LOVES his theatrics, but unlike Olivier and maybe Bleublanc, he can't abandon them.

Yes, it's not the nebulous bullshit most other jRPGs and animes use, but that's on those, not on Trails.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

we'll probably find some stuff about Ys VIII tomorrow since it's falcom's end of year shareholder meeting and they've traditionally announced stuff there.

also they made tweets hinting at it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

because of japanese time it was actually tomorrow today and so it already happened.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, and it comes out Summer 2016.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/ys-viii-launches-summer-2016-japan

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is this the first time Falcom has done a big console game since PS2 Ys VI?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cold Steel was PS3/Vita.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, duh

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it looks like they have a new artist, at least for Ys. it looks good.

I wonder if cold steel III is going to be a straight up sequel or something more like 3rd because the impression i got from people who have played the japanese versions is that CSII ends in a way more appropriate for the latter then the former

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is that dogi? better be dogi

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 16, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Its not Dogi but he's not using fists so Dogi could still be in.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
If (and a big if) this one takes place between V and VI, and I've never played V so correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Dogi showing up somewhere in VI, so I don't think he was in V at all (at least, canonically). So, that being said, if that's true, there'll be no Dogi.

....which makes me sad a little.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I wonder if cold steel III is going to be a straight up sequel or something more like 3rd because the impression i got from people who have played the japanese versions is that CSII ends in a way more appropriate for the latter then the former
i've heard CS2 compared to empire strikes back in terms of the ending.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

because of japanese time it was actually tomorrow today and so it already happened.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, and it comes out Summer 2016.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/ys-viii-launches-summer-2016-japan

Looks good. Needs a new trailer though.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

From what I understand, it ends in a way better than CSI... but still not in a real ending kinda way.

But holy god drat Ys I need it I Need It

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was planning on getting a PS4 in 2016 in all likelihood so that's good timing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

i've heard CS2 compared to empire strikes back in terms of the ending.

And yet people kept telling me Cold Steel isn't a trilogy. :argh:

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Funny. An Empire Strikes Back type of ending is how I would've described the ending to Trails FC. So, what you're saying is, that I might get blue balls again if I bought and played Cold Steel 1? Great. And there is no confirmation yet that xseed is going to bring localized Cold Steel 2? And on top of that, Trails 3rd Chapter may never got localized at all even though from my googling, it resolved a few plot threads introduced in SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

And there is no confirmation yet that xseed is going to bring localized Cold Steel 2?
there is confirmation.