Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, but it was also the expected arc, wasn't it?

Yeah he had "Eventual bad guy" written on him from the moment he was introduced, so I'm glad that his turn was at least a result of some messed up circumstances that were out of his control and not some mustache-twirling turn to super villainy. He got dumped and was upset, made a mistake, one of his guys made a bigger mistake, and things just got out of control before he could do anything. I would've preferred that he stayed on the show because I liked the character, but if he had to go I prefer what happened to what would've happened on every other show.

Now Boyle getting his hands on an NZT pill and potentially going down the same road is something I'm not too thrilled about, but it's just one pill and the show has obviously any benefit of the doubt so we'll see what they do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Casey took NZT, and then developed the personality of a T-1000.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That was some of the best TV I've seen all year. I initially thought Morra and some of his mercs would find and neutralize any pills on the open market and their owners once they got wind of the situation.

e- On a lighter note, it seemed like harris was drifting ever closer to Finch. If I had to guess, they'll use Casey's death as a springboard to either further her relationship with Brian or distance them because of her world shattering repeatedly at the hands of NZT.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Brian admonishing Boyle? He could have at least softened the blow. Very insensitive, Brian! :smith:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Accretionist posted:

Brian admonishing Boyle? He could have at least softened the blow. Very insensitive, Brian! :smith:

It was kinda dickish of Brian, but that was perfectly in character for him. He wants to be a good guy and doesn't want people to get hurt. Casey wasn't a stranger to him, and he genuinely thought that he had a chance to save Casey's life. Casey's death upset him too, so it's not a surprise that he lashed out a little bit.

This episode was also great because it helped flesh out some of the characters better, especially Boyle. Great job with utilizing all the perspectives. I liked the 5-second joke perspective of Stavros.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Surprised the homages to Pulp Fiction weren't getting any love

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Gonz posted:

One thing I enjoyed about this episode is that it gave credence to the theory that Eddie is primarily interested in Brian because of his psychology. Anyone can take NZT, but only some people can take it without becoming sociopaths (Casey) or losing control (Buffy's boyfriend).

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

VDay posted:

Now Boyle getting his hands on an NZT pill and potentially going down the same road is something I'm not too thrilled about, but it's just one pill and the show has obviously any benefit of the doubt so we'll see what they do with it.
He'll give it to his ailing mother

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

spookygonk posted:

He'll give it to his ailing mother

This is what I considered after they inserted that scene of his mother attempting to eat cereal (she might have some level of dementia). NZT might just return her memories to her, for a day.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Last episode also reinforces the theory that Mora's interest is in NZT Brian's psychological stability.

:tinfoil:

Edit: Just watched this again and ugh, Brian! Boyle's a non-sociopath who just killed a colleague to protect you. Be nice. Boyle's probably in, "I feel like poo poo-- all of the time," territory.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 17, 2015

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
This show does a fantastic job of balancing the dark aspects inherent to the premise with the light, goofy comedy stemming from Brian and his personality and quirks. You can tell the people making this show are having a lot of fun.

Poor Boyle.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

And even the janitor got a name check. :)

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
In 11 episodes this show has made me care about every character. All of them. I love Boyle, I love Mike and Ike, I love Naz. I even liked Casey and I'm sad to see him go.

Another thing I really like about this show is how storylines that would normally take an entire episode in most shows get treated like minor plot points. Tuesday's episode would have run over the course of 3 or 4 episodes on a lot of other shows.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gonz posted:

I was really hoping he would become the new bad guy, but he died like instantly.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

I was really hoping he would become the new bad guy, but he died like instantly.

Yeah. The problem with many shows with dragging things out is when characters keep secrets from one another pointlessly, not that everything has to be resolved super quickly. Brian needs someone on NZT as an antagonist, and a slowly deteriorating Casey who is a "good guy", but willing to do what he needs to in order to survive would have been great for that.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

In 11 episodes this show has made me care about every character. All of them. I love Boyle, I love Mike and Ike, I love Naz. I even liked Casey and I'm sad to see him go.

Right at the end after the title splash, having the name "Jason" come up, I was like, "Who is?!?!",

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 17, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I was way too entertained at the scene early in the episode when the pharmacy lady called Mike by his name but it was bleeped out and her mouth covered over so you couldn't tell what it was.

And it only got funnier when we found out what Ike's name is at the end.

The scene when Brian figures out that Casey is on NZT was super-edgy too. Casey just couldn't hide that poo poo, staring death eyes all day erryday...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just watched this week's episode, and jesus I was not expecting any of this.

Really fantastic episode though. Shame too. I really liked Casey.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
... I finally put together why Boyle seems so familiar. He was Calder Michaels on Covert Affairs (:gay:)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I formally request to switch Agent Boyle with Detective Boyle (from Brooklyn Nine Nine) for an episode.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
Man that went from "This episode is goofy fun" to "Aww poo poo" and then to "drat that's really depressing" real quick. Really laid it on thick during the last 5 minutes or so.

And I guess you can't introduce an season arch when you only have a 13 episode slate the first go around. I fully expect things to flesh out during the second half the season. That said I actually care about the characters which is a refreshing... albeit it depressing change.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Headquarters! was my favorite episode, but I'm expecting a some kind of bad guy/problem that wont go away to hook. Don't let this show become another sleepy hollow.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mughe posted:

Man that went from "This episode is goofy fun" to "Aww poo poo" and then to "drat that's really depressing" real quick. Really laid it on thick during the last 5 minutes or so.

And I guess you can't introduce an season arch when you only have a 13 episode slate the first go around. I fully expect things to flesh out during the second half the season. That said I actually care about the characters which is a refreshing... albeit it depressing change.
Limitless got a full season order, and you can but have a 13 episode arc sorta formed as you go along but I'm guessing since they want to take more time feeling it out like a cop show, all the format breaking episodes that we're getting are a welcome breath of fresh air.

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
They should have a big bad for the season, but they should capture him off camera between episodes with a Brian's brain version of how it went down for 3 minutes before getting on with the actual episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't Eddie Morra the big bad of the season?

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
I don't think he's a bad guy yet.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think they are positioning Morra to be a bad guy or at least morally gray, and appearing to be the bad guy before some sort of redemption moment. Morra becoming a cold hearted bad guy would be interesting, it would sort of start a countdown to when Brian starts becoming like that. I'd start questioning when he does something uncharacteristic, like is it from the NZT or is it because he is less connected with other humans?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I doubt they'll have Brian become detached from everything. They went down that road already with "Badass Brian" and he explicitly rejected it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Brian came off as sort of a jerk when he is on NZT from the other characters perspectives. Like a "shut the gently caress up we know you're the smartest person in the world." point of view.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

WarLocke posted:

I was way too entertained at the scene early in the episode when the pharmacy lady called Mike by his name but it was bleeped out and her mouth covered over so you couldn't tell what it was.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Also the camera scans of their faces bring up their FBI badges but also says the same thing more or less.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Anyone wanting to avoid spoilers should avoid the next episode title if at all possible. All may not be what it seems, but still. It's frustrating when episode names do this.,

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shakugan posted:

Anyone wanting to avoid spoilers should avoid the next episode title if at all possible. All may not be what it seems, but still. It's frustrating when episode names do this.,

I highly doubt that the title is an actual description of the outcome of the episode

Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Spoiler babies need to stop being coddled.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I watch basically every show on my DVR and see the episode title 100% of the time. It is never a spoiler.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

blue squares posted:

I highly doubt that the title is an actual description of the outcome of the episode

Imagine if we lived in a world where that's how we titled cinema.

Citizen Kane would just be Rosebud, the sled.

A New Hope would be The Rebels Destroy the Death Star.

Sixth Sense would be Confused Ghost Man.

What an autistic universe.

Well, Snakes on a Plane would be apt, I think.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Everyone dies but one jewelry store bandit.

Nazis' faces melt.

Big shark eats fire extinguisher

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Saving Private Ryan

The Hunt for Red October

wait poo poo

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Debbie does Dallas.

Oh, wait.

Just caught up on this show. It is so chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Cynic Jester posted:

Debbie does Dallas.

Oh, wait.

Just caught up on this show. It is so chill.

Technically Debbie didn't do Dallas in the movie. She was trying to get to Dallas so her cheerleader friends all did their hometown to raise money to get Debbie to Dallas.

So it would be more like "Debbie Does Her Hometown To Get to Dallas"

• Locked thread