Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Not mine but it was fun seeing a beat to poo poo Dodge Neon pulled over by police while out to lunch today. I don't mean "oh it has a few dents and scratches", the entire front driver's quarter panel and headlight were gone, hood looked like foil that had been crumpled and someone tried to pound it straight again, and a donut tire on the rear passenger side. Guessing the person broke down, no way that little pile of poo poo would get up to the speed limit without being actively pushed downhill in neutral with a strong wind from the rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

thebigcow posted:

Just leave the doors hanging open, that's what we do on our Ford and it hasn't broken a door in twenty-ish years.

Full glass doors- apart from a metal frame linking the hinges to the latch- they rely on the friction of the seal for strength.

And the hub is powerfucked- it's so bad that even fencing wire doesn't have the strength to hold the fan in place at full noise.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ozz81 posted:

Not mine but it was fun seeing a beat to poo poo Dodge Neon pulled over by police while out to lunch today. I don't mean "oh it has a few dents and scratches", the entire front driver's quarter panel and headlight were gone, hood looked like foil that had been crumpled and someone tried to pound it straight again, and a donut tire on the rear passenger side. Guessing the person broke down, no way that little pile of poo poo would get up to the speed limit without being actively pushed downhill in neutral with a strong wind from the rear.

I got the satisfaction of watching a pickup blow a red light last night.

Right in front of a cop.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
gently caress

YOU

GENERAL MOTORS

AND YOUR loving 454 TBI HEI MODULE WITH ROUND HEADED PHILIPS SCREWS THAT RUST BECAUSE IT IS LOCATED UNDER THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP WHICH IS LOCATED AT THE TOP REAR OF THE ENGINE UNDER THE HOOD GAP SO THAT IT GETS DAMP AND SO THAT ONE OF THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP SCREWS IS BLOCKED BY THE BODY OF THE TRUCK AND SO THAT YOU HAVE TO CROUCH, PAINFULLY, WITH YOUR RIGHT FOOT ON THE A/C MOUNT AND YOUR LEFT FOOT ON THE ALTERNATOR MOUNT TO HAVE ANY HOPE AT ALL OF REACHING THE THING

*sobs*

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I had to do this on a plow truck once. My boss thought I said crank it for some reason and actually cranked it....my balls crawled so far up my body and I swore they would never come out. But laying on the engine definitely helps this situation. Most trucks are easier to work on if you lay on them.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
i have the foam from an old seat i got at junk yard i use to lay on to avoid extra poky bits. Works pretty good.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the ignition module grounds itself through one of those two rusted screws. which are special screws that you have to buy from the dealer for $4 each.

now taking bets on which I will set fire to first: the truck or myself

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I did one on a friend's Tahoe a few years ago. It isn't much more fun with a small block V8 either, as they use the same style distributor in the same spot with all of the same poo poo in the way. If you hate it now, just wait until it comes time to replace the intake gaskets. :shepicide:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Preoptopus posted:

i have the foam from an old seat i got at junk yard i use to lay on to avoid extra poky bits. Works pretty good.

I use an old pool float for the same purpose

works great.

bonus is that it rolls up tight and is easy to stuff away when not needed

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Yoga mat from your sister who took one class and said gently caress that noise also works quite well.

e; also makes sense when you're working under the dashboard and having to do some sort of yoga pose to get in there

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 15, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Goin' out today. For rusty ignition module screws: PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or other?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Semtex

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
EZOuts.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

atomicthumbs posted:

Goin' out today. For rusty ignition module screws: PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or other?

Got any Aerokroil? I think I read that acetone + ATF works well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

PB and an impact driver, don't use a conventional screwdriver.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

impact driver, don't use a conventional screwdriver.

this is the important part

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Remember he's dealing with screws that probably go into cheesy little aluminum ears on a cheesy aluminum distributor housing. Impact = much sadness.

I would dremel the heads off, lift the cap off, then apply weasel piss of your personal preference, heat the ear, and visegrip the stub out.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Now I'm considering just leaving the old module in place and mounting the new one on the firewall.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wouldn't it just be easier getting a distributor from the wreckers (or rebuilt one from an auto electrician) and replace the whole thing than gently caress around with rounded screws?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Or can you unhook whatever's upstream and take the whole thing to the bench? Or is that the whole drat engine?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Some machinists' magazine did a comparison of torque required to loosen a fastener with a bunch of different chemicals. Acetone+ATF did really well, Kroil did really well, PB Blaster did well, WD40 did ok. All helped, but there was a wide gap between most of them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just brought a giant crescent wrench back from the dead with ATF + acetone, but it took about a week of soaking.

poo poo's fuckin magical.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
That wrench looks like a good candidate for a wire wheeling followed by a chemical like Evapo-Rust or Boeshield Rust Free.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Evaporust really works. I'm still a little shocked.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'd just toss that in an electrolytic rust removal bath and then wipe it down with something lanolin-based

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Evapo Rust and Fluid Film are my new best friends. Had some paint adhesion problems lately after using Evapo Rust, but I think my bath just got contaminated with some grease or something.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

DethMarine21 posted:

That wrench looks like a good candidate for a wire wheeling followed by a chemical like Evapo-Rust or Boeshield Rust Free.

Man, I remember having to seal up frack pump fluid ends with Boeshield's rust inhibitor aerosol for shipment and that stuff is the loving tits. I'd highly reccomend it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i got the fucker out after 5 repetitions of pb blaster and hammer over 24 hours

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

atomicthumbs posted:

I'd just toss that in an electrolytic rust removal bath and then wipe it down with something lanolin-based

if you mean Electrolysis, I'm pretty sure this is a huge no-no on anything chrome-plated. Electrolysis will create Hexavalent Chromium and turn your bucket into a super-fund site. Apparently bad idea for stainless parts too. Acid-based rust removers are fine though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deceptor101 posted:

if you mean Electrolysis, I'm pretty sure this is a huge no-no on anything chrome-plated. Electrolysis will create Hexavalent Chromium and turn your bucket into a super-fund site. Apparently bad idea for stainless parts too. Acid-based rust removers are fine though.

Make sure to dump that bucket out on your neighbor's property.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

Make sure to dump that bucket out on your neighbor's property.

Solid legal advice right here.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sparkle sparkle oil pan,
the new guy changed some oil again

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Preoptopus posted:

sparkle sparkle oil pan,
the new guy changed some oil again

Wait, so he's destroyed two cars now? drat, maybe he should look for a new line of work.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Frank Dillinger posted:

Wait, so he's destroyed two cars now? drat, maybe he should look for a new line of work.

Naw sadly i couldnt think of a better rhyme. But yea I wish and he should. Hes like 45 and knows no electric or how to weld (were a known exhaust place) and further more refuses to learn. We finally got permission to start tearing into it at the end of the work day today and thats as far as we got. This little '13 4 banger mazda is a freaky engine tho. Cant wait for more discovery tomorrow. Were going to have to drop the K frame to pull it apart from the torque converter since we can turn the crank at all to get at the fly wheel bolts.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

i got the fucker out after 5 repetitions of pb blaster and hammer over 24 hours

the truck still doesn't work. Kill me

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Raluek posted:

Solid legal advice right here.

Good point, do it at night.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deceptor101 posted:

Which you can fix with a bit of a reducing agent in an acidic environment. Reducing it to chrome(III) which is practically harmless.

Which is code for throw a cup of acid in there with some zinc filings.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 17, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A cup of acid a day keeps Julia Roberts away

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Customer brings in a 2008 Jetta for an oil change.

A volkswagen with four warning lights on? Seems about average. I did want to drive it about 10 miles though.

Yeah - the annual inspection expired... IN 2010!

Customer says "Did you notice the check engine light is on?" Yes actually - we noticed it ten months ago when it was on and we told you your inspection was expired then too.

0toShifty fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

0toShifty posted:

Customer brings in a 2008 Jetta for an oil change.

A volkswagen with four warning lights on? Seems about average. I did want to drive it about 10 miles though.

Yeah - the annual inspection expired... IN 2010!

Customer says "Did you notice the check engine light is on?" Yes actually - we noticed it ten months ago when it was on and we told you your inspection was expired then too.

What the hell is the other light in the tach, the not engine light?