Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

gibbed posted:

New DLC up in the store for this week.

They didn't put any proper images on the DLC entries so there's no way to tell what any of these look like. They might match up with some JP DLC entries but there's more tank variants than what's available in the JP store so :shrug:.

I assume the pure decoy launchers match the ones released for 2025.
And then some. You get quite a number of them, with a different anime on each.
The tanks are really powerful for Lv.8 equipment, aside from one that's a complete joke (it has a watergun as a weapon). They are also all very anime.

Worth every penny, which is about 1700 pennies! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

gibbed posted:

New DLC up in the store for this week.

They didn't put any proper images on the DLC entries so there's no way to tell what any of these look like. They might match up with some JP DLC entries but there's more tank variants than what's available in the JP store so :shrug:.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 — Gigantus Tank, EDF IFPS Markings
Earth Defense Force 4.1 — Gigantus Tank, DCC-Zero Markings
Earth Defense Force 4.1 — Gigantus Tank, DCC-Gogo. Markings
Earth Defense Force 4.1 — Gigantus Tank, Bullet Girls Marking
Earth Defense Force 4.1 — Gigantus Tank, Natsuiro HS Markings
Earth Defense Force 4.1 — Pure Decoy Launchers

I assume the pure decoy launchers match the ones released for 2025.

If anyone cares to see, i think these two match up

Natsuiro HS Markings

Bullet Girls Marking

Not sure what the others look like, I'm gonna buy the EDF and DCC Zero ones so I'll post screens later maybe.

edit: Wow, the decoys set comes with 10 different anime girl balloons for all your squad mate decorating needs. OK here's some info and pics of two of the tanks I just grabbed.

The EDF IfPS Markings tank is in fact a promotional tank for EDF 2 on the vita! I think this might actually be a western-made / exclusive DLC.

It has 1200 armor and it's weapon is a Blaster Turret with 50 ammo that fires off a green laser. It has a paint job similar to the tanks from previous games so it's a pretty cool little novelty.

I also got the DCC-Zero Markings. It's covered in anime ladies from Dream Club Zero, predictably. This, and most of these, were Japanese DLC that you could get from magazines or preordering or free on PSN, I think. I dunno which was which, but it doesn't matter much.

On the back it's got this girl doin' a delinquent squat for extra comedy

It's got 1200 armor and it's weapon is a Dispersal Howitzer with I think 25 ammo. It's kinda like a shotgun for a tank.

Unrelated, but while I have my EDF screenshots open...

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 16, 2015

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

This may be an old issue that I just forgot about from the last release, but is it normal to beat the first handful of missions on inferno and only receive weapons that are <lvl 10? I did the old trick where you go back to level one or 2 and beat it on higher difficulties for better weapons but I think the game copped to what I was up to.

Per https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_C5yIrwVrucXJQd0tsS3VXdWs/edit the l2 inferno weapon drops are 0-50

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

how me a frog posted:

Aw what this isn't even out in Europe? bloody hell

Yeah not till feb next year.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Thanks, that's very helpful!

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Light Gun Man posted:

*DLC Content images*
And I'd just finished getting screenshots together to post here in this thread, because you deserve to know what your money is buying for you. :smith:
But that's alright, I have some angles you don't, and a little extra

These are Pure Decoys. Neither of the ones from 2025 came back. But the concept survived.

There are five of them for Ranger, and five for Air Raider, for a total a 10.

These ones are for the Air Raider. They'll get the enemy's attention, but since they'll pop instantly even on Easy mode, a better use of them is to cause hilarity. Stick them on your buddies! Put them on your helicopter blades. Replace the head of your Balam with your dream waifu! The potential is limitless.

The Bullet Girls tank is re-fitted with a cannon similar to the side-seat turrets on the Titan tanks. It penetrates enemies, and is the best color. This tank also has the D3 Publisher logo slapped on the back, along with some chick holding a rocket launcher.

This is the -other- DCC tank, Gogo. It is exactly the same as Zero. Same weapon, same armor, same handling. Only real difference is that it is pink and Japanese. Aggressively pink.

I don't like pink.

This is the side of that Natsuiro High School tank. It is covered in some runic language I don't understand, and underage animated high-school babes. Also flowers, because it is a joke. The turret is replaced with a Deluge Cannon. That is to say, it's a giant loving water gun. It carries more water than you could feasibly shoot before the 1200 HP is drained, does no damage, and it'll only stagger things. Which it's actually pretty good at, and it handles like nothing else. This thing's turret will turn faster than you can parse, and it will literally turn on a dime. It's fast, too. It'll outrun Grape any day. But this tank made me remember something very important.

High school sucked.

The EDF2 tank is nice, though. The turret is literally a Vulture Blaster, that you'd typically see on the helicopters. But it, like the others, is phased out quickly in favor of bigger guns.

These tanks all have armaments you won't ever see on a standard Gigantus tank. They're quite potent and durable for low-level vehicles, so if you're not afraid of showing your :japan: you can put 'em to good use. Tankshotgun is a really cool weapon. Penetrating, linear shots are awesome. Fuckin' LASER BEAMS. Something to hope for in the future, unlockable "custom" vehicles that can be fitted with special unlockable vehicle parts.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 16, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the post, sorry for gettin the scoop on you!

I too hope there is some way of making these things actually competitive just so you could play "serious" EDF with a completely non-serious tank. I suppose limit boosters might help. Ideally, the DLC should just come with like a level 5 version and a level 70 version each, or something like that.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So what is the read on how the four classes shake out in the end? How do they compare to each other?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

trooper owns, but fencer owns, and while wing diver owns, air raider seems to own

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Brackhar posted:

So what is the read on how the four classes shake out in the end? How do they compare to each other?

Today I called down an orbital laser strike on a giant spaceship that turned into a Gundam before I hopped in my personal Jaeger and punched it to death while screaming EDF at the top of my lungs.

Play Air Raider.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm really, really hoping that something comes of that steamdb leak because I've been jealous of you PS4-owners for a while now.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah not till feb next year.

This is such bullshit, I'm seriously considering the "US PSN account" trick to get my insect killing on sooner :-(

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

trooper owns, but fencer owns, and while wing diver owns, air raider seems to own

Can confirm Wing Diver owns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Each class is literally just "what flavor of mass destruction am I going to wreak today." Pick one and have fun. Pick all of them even. Variety is the spice of life.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Just go online and join games and play whatever class you don't have the current mission/difficulty medal for.

OK a real talk answer would be:
Play Ranger if you are completely new to EDF because it's the most straightforward class, rifles, shotguns, sniping. Especially sniping.
Play Wing Diver if you want to fly around and kill things with lightning and lasers, and don't mind being a little bit of a revival slave since you can move fastest and get your HP back up to revive-capable levels the easier.
Play Air Raider if you like to play support, or wanna be lazy/halfass and just fire off seeking rockets the whole match, or enjoy using vehicles and turrets and calling in orbital strikes and missiles more than bullets or lasers.
Play Fencer if you want something more complex and tricky to keep you busy. Hope you can master not-really-documented basic skills!

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 16, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Light Gun Man posted:

Play Wing Diver if you want to fly around and kill things with lightning and lasers, and don't mind being a little bit of a revival slave since you can move fastest and get your HP back up to revive-capable levels the easier.

I've had so many missions where I spend like 20 minutes reviving people nonstop only to die because I have to move in funky ways to get to people, I kinda just started soloing missions when everyone else dies more than once.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Light Gun Man posted:

Play Fencer if you want something more complex and tricky to keep you busy. Hope you can master not-really-documented basic skills!
Play fencer if you like the idea of getting a hammer that will one shot a lot of bosses and most of a city block, too.

Play air raider if you wanna do that but have it take, like, I dunno, ten years to happen.

Play Ranger if you wanna do that and roll forever and ever and just get beat out to the health by a fencer who was boosting all over the field like a lunatic.

Play wing diver if you are a anime.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Babe Magnet posted:

Can confirm.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Ranger has very silly grenades that level a city block, this is important.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Wing Diver is the most fun to play, Fencer is the most challenging, Air Raider gets the best toys and Ranger gets the best guns.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ranger has a good spread of "Yeah, I can solo this no problem" weaponry, his rocket launchers in particular are wonderful at double duty shooting down UFOs and other distant hard targets while also being able to blow up swaths of ant. If you just want to be sure you can beat the game, Ranger has you more than covered.

Wing Diver loving rules, I'm just very single minded when it comes to "Yeah, but can I bring down that UFO from a mile away without it inconveniencing me over loadout/energy wise?" I admit my enjoyment of Wing Diver is inversely proportional to how much high altitude or long distance poo poo I have to deal with.

But I also cleared Very Hard "shitloads of red ants" easily because laser blenders and lightning shotguns loving rule when you are allowed to hit things with them and not instantly plummet from the sky. I'm basically untouchable in cave missions with any tunnel structure and I didn't even realize I had killed a queen ant before entering the room they were in just by unloading my lightning shotgun a few reloads worth clearing out the normal enemies coming through the door.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

keyboard vomit posted:

Ranger has very silly grenades that level a city block, this is important.

Air Raider also has Tactical Nukes.

Also gonna repost some gifs I made when 2025 came out:

E: imgur removed all of my gifs from last :qq:

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 16, 2015

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Thank you to my fellow edf recruits for making the new game so enjoyable and picking me up when I fall down.

http://youtu.be/CeJNjbl1d3Y There's little in this compilation that hasn't already been shared by others but I'm sharing it anyway.

look how pretty my fencer is. :allears:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
What's up with the huge increase in difficulty on mission 96? Once all those elite bugs come out everyone dies, and that's with us being careful not to aggro too many. Playing on hard and took 1500 damage in one shot. I'm pretty sure the team was decent too, everyone had above 2k armor which is rare with randoms. Should I just move onto hardest and try for some better weapons?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

HolyKrap posted:

What's up with the huge increase in difficulty on mission 96? Once all those elite bugs come out everyone dies, and that's with us being careful not to aggro too many. Playing on hard and took 1500 damage in one shot. I'm pretty sure the team was decent too, everyone had above 2k armor which is rare with randoms. Should I just move onto hardest and try for some better weapons?

Try to find an inferno farm lobby.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So just encountered some new friends on Very Hard Crimson. I was doing well too until The Wall of HP showed up and ate everything.

I'm also very happy with showdown between the horde of kaiju Eriginus and jaegers Balaams, ending with a Category 5 Mutant Eriginus. Too bad A squad isn't very good and gets wiped out before wave two.

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

Sorry, wrong thread.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Such majesty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AzZ-YnimOQ&t=134s

Rhino cavalry best cavalry.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My copy of Invaders From Planet Space turned up today! I payed a couple of hours so far, some observations:

It has a noticeably smaller draw distance than the PS2 version. It's a real shame they built this game of the older PSP port as if you've played 2017portable you'll know that the PSvita can do better than this.
However the frame rate is a loooooooot better. I haven't gotten to where the game gets real nuts yet, but the PS2 version had like a sub-10FPS on the first level.
I love the retro redesign they gave the Air raider, but no vehicle call in sort of cripples the class.
You do still get three slots though, and you start with a turret already unlocked.
The voice acting is pretty good too, the British accents on the London map were a nice surprise.
Although it's a little weird to play EDF without the NPC soldiers, especially after 4.1 added so many cool ways to interact with them. Missing the EDF EDF EDF!
However, I really wish they'd stuck with calling the giant insects 'Gigantors' like in the PS2 EU release, not because I hate change but because 'Buggernauts' is just a terrible, terrible name for anything but randy astronauts. This is my biggest issue with the game.

Overall though this for sure the superior version of the game. The draw distance and pop-in is a fine trade off for an actual playable frame-rate and they've added even more content to an already stuffed game, not to mention online multiplayer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The low framerate on the ps2 version was amazing slow motion when poo poo got awesome and the game is worse without it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

I love the retro redesign they gave the Air raider, but no vehicle call in sort of cripples the class.

Just wait until you start getting Gunship weapons, Spritefalls, or mid-level Air Strikes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a level checklist for printing out and marking off as you collect medals? I'd like to be able to visualize that better so I can decide what I want to work on.

If not, I suppose I could make one.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr Phillby posted:

My copy of Invaders From Planet Space turned up today! I payed a couple of hours so far, some observations:

It has a noticeably smaller draw distance than the PS2 version. It's a real shame they built this game of the older PSP port as if you've played 2017portable you'll know that the PSvita can do better than this.
However the frame rate is a loooooooot better. I haven't gotten to where the game gets real nuts yet, but the PS2 version had like a sub-10FPS on the first level.
You do still get three slots though, and you start with a turret already unlocked.
The voice acting is pretty good too, the British accents on the London map were a nice surprise.
Although it's a little weird to play EDF without the NPC soldiers, especially after 4.1 added so many cool ways to interact with them. Missing the EDF EDF EDF!
However, I really wish they'd stuck with calling the giant insects 'Gigantors' like in the PS2 EU release, not because I hate change but because 'Buggernauts' is just a terrible, terrible name for anything but randy astronauts. This is my biggest issue with the game.

Overall though this for sure the superior version of the game. The draw distance and pop-in is a fine trade off for an actual playable frame-rate and they've added even more content to an already stuffed game, not to mention online multiplayer.

"Buggernauts" is an awesome name :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr Phillby posted:

So what do they even do?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

So what do they even do?

Turrets and off map artillery.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm up to mission 69 in EDF2, using Pale Wing almost the entire time. I really want to clear all the missions at least once before going on to 4.1, how close am I getting to the end?

The rolling warbots are simultaneously some of the most fun and infuriating enemies I've ever dealt with in a game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

I'm up to mission 69 in EDF2, using Pale Wing almost the entire time. I really want to clear all the missions at least once before going on to 4.1, how close am I getting to the end?

The rolling warbots are simultaneously some of the most fun and infuriating enemies I've ever dealt with in a game.

There's 71 missions in the PS2 version and I think 78 on Vita.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
I suppose I will join the mighty ranks of EDF, ID EndgameN. It's been forever but I am loving how drat smooth this plays now just wow. I've hardly even touched the surface either.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

dis astranagant posted:

The low framerate on the ps2 version was amazing slow motion when poo poo got awesome and the game is worse without it.

I love the game, but the frame rate in 5he PS2 was poo poo at all times, not just when things were hectic. It doesn't need a stable frame rate to enjoy, but god it is just so much nicer to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Alright I went ahead and made a checklist to my own specifications. Hopefully this is helpful for others too: http://imgur.com/a/4yVep