Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Verisimilidude posted:

Can someone suggest a screen protector for the 6s? I bought the moshi ivisor but it already came off and it's bound to do it again. I'm in the field a lot so I need something durable and preferably won't show fingerprints.

Don't use one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Look at these pleb scrubs that can’t afford a $1.50 tempered glass protector.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

GobiasIndustries posted:

By CORPORATE ONLY, does that mean like not going to a mall kiosk? There's a Verizon store 2 miles away from his place which took care of my family's switch from AT&T to Verizon a few years ago.
It means go to a store that's just called Verizon, not a "authorized reseller" or "premium reseller".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It means go to a store that's just called Verizon, not a "authorized reseller" or "premium reseller".
This, yes. The resellers will charge you for a SIM if that's the problem, Verizon (and Apple) will not.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
OK cool, just checking to make sure. Beyond doing a full encrypted backup of his phone (he has iCloud already enabled, this is just in case), is there anything else he should do?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I guess getting a screen protector is a thing. Any particular reason why?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
no

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Lol if you buy a screen protector.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lol if you buy a screen protector.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Please don't buy a screen protector.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Glad to see this thread hasn't changed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So what's up with Siri suddenly not being able to do online image searches? My iPhone's language is different from Siri's English (Siri isn't available in my language) and if I try to do an image search it says it can't do it because it and my iPhone are in different languages. Eh?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

My brother updated his Verizon 16gb 5s to 9.2 and now he doesn't have cell service. It just stays on 'Searching' and doesn't connect. He's rebooted it twice and had the same problems at work (in a different city) so I'm guessing it's not a local service blackout issue. What else can I have him try, or should he take it into a Verizon store?

I had this issue and it turned out to be water damage from months ago before it affected my phone. Something to consider.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Can someone suggest a screen protector for the 6s? I bought the moshi ivisor but it already came off and it's bound to do it again. I'm in the field a lot so I need something durable and preferably won't show fingerprints.

Going to break from that party-line on this one, and say that if your goal is to maximise re-sale value without being an inconvenience to yourself, get a tempered glass one. I got given an Anker one for free and it's actually kinda nice.

If you've had an iPhone a few months you can also buy one to get yourself an "as new" feeling oleophobic coating. A new tempered glass protector will feel smoother than a months-old screen.

If your goal is to prevent breaks then it's highly unlikely one will do anything.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Not even joking, I've had my iPhone 6S plus for a week or so and I have two scratches on the bottom left section of my screen.

Now I have to try to convince the Apple Store dudes that they should exchange it for me. Otherwise I guess I can return it and buy another one.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Boner Wad posted:

Not even joking, I've had my iPhone 6S plus for a week or so and I have two scratches on the bottom left section of my screen.

Now I have to try to convince the Apple Store dudes that they should exchange it for me. Otherwise I guess I can return it and buy another one.

What?

1. They won't honor an exchange for scratches because it is customer-caused damage.

2. They won't honor a return for scratches because it is not in original condition.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Couldn't you just exchange it for that satisfaction guarantee thing and then buy another one, though? Technically forever?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

What?

1. They won't honor an exchange for scratches because it is customer-caused damage.

2. They won't honor a return for scratches because it is not in original condition.

I don't know it happened. I baby my phones. And the Internet goons told me not to buy a screen protector.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why don't we buy screen protectors anyway?

I mean I've never used one and I've not scratched a screen in 10 years of using touchscreen devices but I don't see how they can be bad if you really want to use one.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

Couldn't you just exchange it for that satisfaction guarantee thing and then buy another one, though? Technically forever?

Not in this case; the device would obviously have to be in the same condition as how the customer received it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

virinvictus posted:

I had this issue and it turned out to be water damage from months ago before it affected my phone. Something to consider.

Apparently it was a SIM card issue, but very weird; he went to a Verizon store, they put in 'multiple' new SIM cards none worked, sent him to an Apple store, finally found one that actually worked. :shrug: As long as the phone is working I suppose.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ATT charging $5 more for their unlimited plan

Of course it makes sense why they'd hate unlimited data. Probably those handful of dudes that are somehow steaming 500 gigs a month or some poo poo

quote:

If you choose to cancel your unlimited data plan and you're under a two-year service contract, we'll waive your early termination fee.4 Just cancel your unlimited data plan line(s) within 60 days after the price increase first appears on your bill. Cancellations made after that time will be subject to the usual early termination fee.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn 9.0.2 really hosed up Siri something good.

The command "shuffle all music" no longer works because Siri apparently respects whatever app was last playing audio now, so if you try she just bitches that "you're already playing something in another app!" or similar stupid bullshit. Even if you're running iTunes radio she'll refuse to switch to locally stored mp3s, and say radio doesn't support shuffle. :downs:

Song rating got screwed up too, before you could say "rate song five stars" and she'd do the right thing. Now she doesn't understand the command, and half the time she does a google search for "rate this" for some dumb reason. But if you say "rate this song" then it triggers her asking you how many stars to give it.. making it a two step process for who knows what reason.

Why does iOS get worse at playing my music every single time Apple updates the OS. :qq:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Of course it makes sense why they'd hate unlimited data. Probably those handful of dudes that are somehow steaming 500 gigs a month or some poo poo

Yeah this is pretty good if you just re-upped your contract to get a 6S. I'm probably going to get them to waive the ETF and jump to T-Mobile.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

xzzy posted:

Goddamn 9.0.2 really hosed up Siri something good.

The command "shuffle all music" no longer works because Siri apparently respects whatever app was last playing audio now, so if you try she just bitches that "you're already playing something in another app!" or similar stupid bullshit. Even if you're running iTunes radio she'll refuse to switch to locally stored mp3s, and say radio doesn't support shuffle. :downs:
Try "shuffle all my music". That works for the radio part, at least.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

Yeah this is pretty good if you just re-upped your contract to get a 6S. I'm probably going to get them to waive the ETF and jump to T-Mobile.

Looked at it through all those angles and thought about it. I'm already a year in on an ip6 if not more so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

By law they have to unlock the phone if the contract is fulfilled correct? (Not sure if waiving applies)

Or at least i think att does that but probably only if you ride the time out

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

You know I ditched my unlimited data a few years ago. I don't think I've ever gotten near my cap.

I guess what are people doing that requires more than 10 gigs of data a month?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

I have a launch day iPhone 6. The question is whether it makes sense to jump ship to T-Mobile or something at some point.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know I ditched my unlimited data a few years ago. I don't think I've ever gotten near my cap.

But all the alternatives pretty much make my plan more expensive even with the 1 gig plans and poo poo

I mean that's how it was

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just checked my usage and it was 8gb, whoooops.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lol if you don't use your cellular to stream 1080p Netflix all day :boom:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Wifi is everywhere but it's also hilariously slow in a lot of places/more than 3 people want to use it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I dropped my grandfathered unlimited ATT plan a few years ago because my college campus has 60,000+ students, and I'm assuming a whole big fat group of them are ATT customers due to both that initial Apple/ATT exclusivity agreement for the iPhone and the super lovely reception I got around town. I'm on a 1GB plan now and can't really say I miss unlimited data, since I'm almost always on good-enough wifi. The exception being GPS use to get from point A to point B, and I was surprised to see just how little data is used by GPS (so long as you're not using satellite display.) I rarely use more than 100-200MB a month. Forgot why I was making this post but here it is!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Watching movies or tethering. It adds up quick.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I'm pretty jealous that you guys aren't married to someone who uses 40gb in tumblr data per month posting about once upon a time and the walking dead.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

maduin posted:

I'm pretty jealous that you guys aren't married to someone who uses 40gb in tumblr data per month posting about once upon a time and the walking dead.

Well, we all make life choices and need to take responsibility for them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I average 15-20gb / month according to AT&T'a data tracking (which also conveniently recommends their 20GB/Month $180 plan if I want to ditch my soon to be $35/mo for unlimited. :lol:

Anyways, I use Apple Music / radio all the time, do all my app updates and a poo poo ton of YouTube / twitch / Netflix. I turn off wifi at work and sometimes forget to turn it back him when I leave / get home so I'll go days on LTE every now and then. No tethering. I've picked up a few of those socket tethering apps that sneak in every now and then but ATT is actually pretty good at picking up when you throttle so after their second warning like 2 years ago I stopped trying.

It's nice not having to worry about it and I only get throttled a couple of times a year.

Seriously, if you're still paying for unlimited stick with it until they force you out.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Unlimited is the only reason I stick with Sprint, it's nice just not worrying about it.

On average I use about 5-8gb a month, but sometimes I'll have odd months where I'm away from wifi for whatever reason and use like 15-20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have one of those shared 2gb plans, we average around 1-1.5gb in use without having to think about it, so I think this is perfect for us.

If I tether or whatever I may have to think about it and there have been a couple of times when we turned data off for a day or two and basked in the medieval experience of having only a phone. That's annoying but not the $30/month annoying that Telus demands for the next tier of data :canada:.

Edit: I also don't stream media and have a 64gb phone so I can just download everything on wifi, so in that sense I do have to kind of think about it. Replacing a flat rate with an ongoing monthly charge doesn't really make sense so I think this is the way to go.