Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Don't kill yourself over getting boss steals in IX, it's helpful for sure but for example there are a couple of bosses that have an item in their Rare steal slot which equals 1/256 chance of successfully stealing it unless you have the Master Thief ability equipped. Almost everything you can steal you can also buy or find a little later on.

As for Legaia, I played through that game a few years back but I have a hard time remembering specific things to keep in mind aside from the fact that you need to kill element-marked enemies with physical attacks in order to get a shot at learning their spell. The chance of learning the spell is random, but you can increase your odds by not overkilling the enemy too hard, not using spells on it, being higher level and by equipping the Ivory Book accessory. Apparently finishing them with arts or attacks that end with a low hit (as opposed to up, left or right) also helps.

There are a lot of good spells and you especially don't want to miss out on the healing ones you get from Light-type enemies as there are a few pretty brutal bosses in that game.

Also learning new (non-Hyper) Arts is only a matter of inputting the correct combo once so it's possible to just look up the moves if you don't feel like experimenting or waiting until the game teaches them to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I've beaten FF9 at level 1. Whatever level you're at is fine.

Do chocobo hot & cold.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Heran Bago posted:

Is there a good way to break Legend of Legaia?
Always use summons to beat bosses. Generally, the higher cost it takes, the better it is, but some elements have differing affinities with the characters. I had one where being the same element was actually a step down from a different summon. The early game, you can coast with level three summons and find a tier higher also for level three to five. You will end up grinding the tiers after that for the rest of the game, to five or so, due to bosses being mountains of HP. Summons will cheese bosses, but you will need to fast forward a whole lot. Never forget to grind your healing summons and even Vera can still be useful.
When actually fighting with characters, try to find a middle ground between using arts and replenishing AP from getting attacked, so you can continually use those arts without pausing to use spirit. If an enemy hits really hard so that AP grows really fast, then use stronger arts.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone explain how to manipulate the stock market in GTA V? On PS3 if that matters. I'm basically just dicking around trying to raise stats and stuff before I get heavy into doing missions.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Kanfy posted:

Don't kill yourself over getting boss steals in IX, it's helpful for sure but for example there are a couple of bosses that have an item in their Rare steal slot which equals 1/256 chance of successfully stealing it unless you have the Master Thief ability equipped. Almost everything you can steal you can also buy or find a little later on.

Even after all of these years I know just who you mean. gently caress you, Hilgigars, and your stupid goddamn Fairy Flute.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Lichdom: Battlemage besides "do not bother with the stupidly complicated craft system"?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kanfy posted:

The best part is that the actual chance of stealing items are affected by the copy of the disc. Mine and some other goons have to take half an hour to get some items, while others are almost immediate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Lichdom: Battlemage besides "do not bother with the stupidly complicated craft system"?

1. If you want to change the function or shape of a spell (i.e. Control --> Mastery, Missile --> Lob) but want the game to automatically find the best pieces for it, just make a junk white spell with whatever parts you have available of the shape & function of your choosing, then let the game upgrade the spell from there.
2. Kinesis/Fire or Kinesis/Lightning have some stupidly strong synergy spells later on. Kinesis is good.
3. Once you get to a new level, try to upgrade shields ASAP as they scale greatly with monster health.
4. Sometimes you can figure out a better spell craft than the game can, particularly for shields, but it requires some knowledge about how to upgrade various pieces, etc.
5. There are several difficult boss encounters that can be trivialized with a good Agility shield and infinite blink.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Scalding Coffee posted:

The best part is that the actual chance of stealing items are affected by the copy of the disc. Mine and some other goons have to take half an hour to get some items, while others are almost immediate.

Haha, what? Did they tune the physical copies at a later date or something? Kind of like censoring the blood in Zelda OoT.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
A lot of cart games actually go through a revision or two, but its usually pretty minor stuff that you don't notice.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mayor McCheese posted:

Haha, what? Did they tune the physical copies at a later date or something? Kind of like censoring the blood in Zelda OoT.
Kind of similar to the thing they do with carts when you input random codes that never work. Not the codes like stage select or nine lives.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Any tips for Nuclear Throne?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone explain how to manipulate the stock market in GTA V? On PS3 if that matters. I'm basically just dicking around trying to raise stats and stuff before I get heavy into doing missions.

The only major changes comes after concluding an assassination mission, which is why most recommend saving those ones until you've got a big bucket of change.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

-Dodge all the bullets, shoot everything until it stops moving.

-Don't be too worried about ammo conservation, the game is more likely to give you more when you're low. Same for health, but still try not to get hit. I'd recommend actively exploding cars when you see them, just so that they don't explode you later.

-Pretty much any weapon is better than the revolver the game starts you with, switch it out a.s.a.p.

-In fact, try out any new weapon you find. Some are bad, most are good, it'll probably come down to your preference. The weapons get better as you get further, so never be afraid to switch out.

-Grenades are dangerous, which is obvious. What's not obvious is that they'll explode if they hit an enemy or an inanimate object, like a cactus or a skull. Watch out for that.

-Mutations that give you a huge boost when you're just learning the game are rhino skin (+4 max hp), strong spirit (survive one deathblow, comes back when you get back to max hp on a subsequent level), and bloodlust (sometimes get an HP when you kill an enemy.). In addition, any mutations specifically for a weapon you already have are usually going to be pretty powerful (for example, bolt marrow if you already have a crossbow.). Lastly, Rabbit's paw (more drops) is always good.

-If you're really having a tough time parsing the action, it's fine to turn the screen shake down.

-It's important to be aggressive, but smartly aggressive. Enemies who are dead and who are actively being shot to death are a lot less dangerous, but don't rush out into a crowded room full of enemies unless you want to eat dirt. Sometimes you have to go ham just to find some cover, though.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

- I'll echo the above tips and add that there's a not obvious mechanic relating to weapon chests and rad containers. If you skip a rad container, the next one you find will be a super one that will give you more than enough experience to compensate, so it's usually worth your interest to skip them unless it would push you over the edge into a level. Weapon chests work the same way, but you may have to skip several before a super one shows up. These super ones will drop three weapons, often of a higher tier than you would find otherwise. If a level portal spawns nearby, it will trigger these so be wary of that if you're planning to use this tactic.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Metal Meltdown posted:

- I'll echo the above tips and add that there's a not obvious mechanic relating to weapon chests and rad containers. If you skip a rad container, the next one you find will be a super one that will give you more than enough experience to compensate, so it's usually worth your interest to skip them unless it would push you over the edge into a level. Weapon chests work the same way, but you may have to skip several before a super one shows up. These super ones will drop three weapons, often of a higher tier than you would find otherwise. If a level portal spawns nearby, it will trigger these so be wary of that if you're planning to use this tactic.

Man, I hate to sound like a pedant, but the big rad canister you get for skipping one actually contains less than two regular canisters combined, so it's not actually worth skipping one on purpose; it's more of a compensation in case you do that accidentally.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Anything for Kerbal Space Program? Did all the tutorials and am going to try the career mode.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 16, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

juliuspringle posted:

To flesh out the previous answer, the only big swings that are worth going after happen after the big assassination missions. The game will give you hints for who stands to benefit from your mission, invest in them, do the mission, sell while the numbers are up. If you want to maximize I'm sure there's a ton of spoiler-free guides out there.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Anything for Kerbal Space Program? Did all the tutorials and am going to try the career mode.

1) Has a really really good thread.
2) That thread will tell you Scott Manley on YouTube has a poo poo ton of tutorial videos for literally anything you want to do.
3) The golden rule is, build something that looks like real life (especially the Gemini/Apollo missions) and it'll more or less work as expected.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If you fail a bunch in kerbal and want to get good at just designing rockets and understanding the mechanics, it can be worth just farting around in sandbox mode for a while.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

If it doesn't go fast enough, strap more rockets on it. If it falls apart add more struts. :jeb:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Don't worry about the body count

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

Chances are good that you're going to want to dick around with some mods at some point. There's a super awesome program called CKAN that can handle finding, updating, dependency-checking, downloading and installing mods. You can get it here (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/90246-the-comprehensive-kerbal-archive-network-ckan-package-manager-v1160-13-dec-2015/)

KSP is fun as hell, but it is trying to simulate real physics (though with some deliberate concessions to ease-of-use and fun). You can probably get to Kerbin's two moons through determination and a giant pile of dead astronauts, but you'll get a lot more out of the game if you watch some good tutorial videos on how the hell orbital mechanics work. I can't recommend Scott Manley's youtube channel enough.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Trick Question posted:

Man, I hate to sound like a pedant, but the big rad canister you get for skipping one actually contains less than two regular canisters combined, so it's not actually worth skipping one on purpose; it's more of a compensation in case you do that accidentally.

Huh, that's actually good to know. I figured it worked just like the weapon chests.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Symmetry is (usually) key. Once you get used to the game building severally asymmetrical things that work can be fun.

Rectus posted:

If it doesn't go fast enough, strap more rockets on it. If it falls apart add more struts. :jeb:

Basically always this: more rockets, more duct tape. With enough SRBs anything is possible.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the help, fellows!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

More KSP tips: If you do go for the career/sim mode option of collecting science to unlock new parts, be aware there's a shitload of science to be had just for exposing goo samples to different biome types and atmo levels. Don't be afraid to make a ScienceCar or SciencePlane just to fly around your home planet and expose goo for free science and thus new rocket parts.

My favorite first-mission science whoring is shamelessly stolen (probably from Manley?) and called rocket surgery. The basic "can of boom" solid boosters available for your first mission don't have any available stage seperation rings. But you can always just stack those cans of boom and rig your staging to fire em in order. Don't worry, the rocket exhaust from the next one will burn away the husk of the old one! With this technique you can actually go to orbit and back on your very first rocket test, which is worth a fuckload of the aforementioned science and thus new rocket parts. So you can maybe make a ScienceCar that is less insane than the Rocket Surgery model of blowing SRBs the gently caress up with your own exhaust.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Batman: Arkham Knight?

Edit: y'all are awesome!

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 18, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

1redflag posted:

Batman: Arkham Knight?

Unless you really love the game or are insanely OCD (like me, on both counts) don't bother trying to 100% the game doing things you don't enjoy. Yes, I believe you get a little extra thing at the end, but it's no big deal and you can easily watch it on Youtube.

Almost all of the batsuit upgrades are great, so make them a priority (save the divebomb ones for last). Make sure to get the twin and triple aimed batarangs from the gadget upgrades early since they are needed to help solve a lot of puzzles. I found most of the other gadget upgrades underwhelming. Also, early on get the special combo boost from the combat line (lets you do insta takedowns and special abilities at a combo of x5 instead of x8, one of the best skills in the game really). I also think critical strikes from the combat tree is important.

Early on don't worry too much about upgrading the batmobile, but later on it becomes pretty important and the health upgrades are a must along with the 'double boost dodge'. Also, the 'super eject' isn't really necessary but it's fun as hell.

If you are stuck on a Riddler puzzle there is a chance you don't have the gadget necessary to beat it yet (think Metroid or Castlevania). Just come back to it later, you'll have plenty of time. Also, if you are crazy like me and want to solve all the Riddler puzzles make sure to use detective vision to scan the streets for 'green' thugs (Riddler informants), they will unlock the location of riddles on your map. Also, more and more stuff is unlocked as you progress in the main story.

Some combat situations later in the game can seem kind of impossible, but that's typically the games way of saying ' you need to be in the batmobile here' and part of the puzzle might be finding a way to get the batmobile there to wreck poo poo up.

Also, the game was fun as hell and one of my favorites of 2015. Have fun!

Edit: Also, under 'gadget tech' almost all of the 'disrupter' upgrades are really useful, particularly if you are like me and love to play full on 'stealth' mode as much as possible. I didn't bother with the other gadgets too much.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 17, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
To add to that for Batman: Arkham Knight:

-The big annoyance with 100% is Riddler Puzzles, but unless you aren't doing the ones you find as you go, it should take like maybe 4 hours to hunt them all down
-To alleviate that Riddler stuff carries over into NG+, so if you do that, then it won't be much of a thing
-Riddler Informants sometimes don't spawn unless you've been fighting random street thugs, so do that if you're having trouble finding one
-Visit the police evidence lock up when you get a chance, there's something there for you
-When you visit Robin there's something for you that's completely optional but helpful on a table to the left as you enter the room
-One particular annoying puzzle involves a LOT of targets and a pressure pad for the Batmobile, look behind you and up and you should be able to figure it out, otherwise it seems juuuuuust out of reach and can be super frustrating
-The Batmobile stuff is sorta front loaded, so if you're hating it at the start it eventually gets less and less required usage. If you like it like me though then you can continue using it a bunch.
-Go into options and look around for something like Battle Mode Toggle I think, makes the Batmobile controls more sane, e.g. triggers for acceleration/braking, and battle mode is a toggle instead of a hold.
-The drift button for corners: use it before the turn and just tap it, I find that makes it easier to make a 90° turn
-Battle mode can be used to stop the Batmobile instantly
-One of the characters that randomly shows up throughout the game usually says 3 quips before going away (this is vague on purpose and it'll make sense later, also it's not like important but if you like them it's worth it to hang around for a few seconds).
-Oh, side mission things don't immediately give you the location, but will after enough time has passed or something, however you can still happen across them. It's sorta weird and sometimes it's something you can figure out but yeah, it's not like a glitch or anything.

Edit: VV Honestly don't think I knew that...huh.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 17, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Brightman posted:

-Oh, side mission things don't immediately give you the location, but will after enough time has passed or something, however you can still happen across them. It's sorta weird and sometimes it's something you can figure out but yeah, it's not like a glitch or anything.

Oh and that reminds me of one other thing, the police helicopters can often point you to side missions and things. Sometimes you will hear something like 'there is a bank robbery in process' over the radio, and there will be a police helicopter with a spotlight on the bank in question. This is never really spelled out for you, but it can be helpful.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything for Yo-Kai Watch? It didn't seem to have an entry on the wiki.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Anything for Yakuza 5?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

KoB posted:

Anything for Yakuza 5?

You can go back to any of the first 4 chapter's cities in the final chapter by hitching a taxi with the corresponding character.

The only thing missable thing before the end of the main game can be Haruka's sidestory missions because her cut off point is a bit earlier than the rest of the characters, but you can always finish those off in the post game.

in chapter 3, do not pick up any locker keys as Haruka since she can't use them and her inventory is separate from the rest of the characters until post game.

When you unlock the final IF8 station, you can invest in it which at the max will give you skill points(up to 8) for redoing any of the available battles you have completed with every character(except Haruka I think.) You need these to max out your characters.

Don't worry too much about grinding/farming, the sidestories/quests give out more than enough exp and yen.

When you reach the final chapter you can go to the dojo to raise your level cap from 20 to 25.

There are 3 moves per character(except Haruka) that can only be learned by using the heavy attack(not HEAT) of certain weapons:

Kiryu.
Trash can
stove
pliers

Saejima
Trash can
potted plants (including xmas trees)
Tire

Akiyama
bicycle
beer crate
bowling ball

Shinada
Trolley
beer crate
desk

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 19, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Whoa, wait, you get to play as Haruka in Yakuza 5? Like, play pachinko and beat up yakuzas, or is it an exploration sequence?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The White Dragon posted:

Whoa, wait, you get to play as Haruka in Yakuza 5? Like, play pachinko and beat up yakuzas, or is it an exploration sequence?

You can roam like the others, but instead of fighting, you do dance battles to J-pop songs.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Crappy Jack posted:

You can roam like the others, but instead of fighting, you do dance battles to J-pop songs.

It's really fun and a nice change of pace.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Related, I got back into Yakuza 3 the other day and I just started chapter 5. Is there anything missable in the game I need to keep an eye out for or any skills I should beeline? I'm about level 5 with everything thus far.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Related, I got back into Yakuza 3 the other day and I just started chapter 5. Is there anything missable in the game I need to keep an eye out for or any skills I should beeline? I'm about level 5 with everything thus far.

There's some missable sidequests, so it might be worth opening a guide just to know where'when they appear, but there's always new game +

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Is there a list that tells you which companions have the most lines for each one of the planets in Kotor ii? I'm starting my second playthrough of the game and I want to try to get as many dialog options as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not really, but you if you're going for that, you want G0-T0 and Bao-Dur with you since the majority of their lines is outside and you can't get much influence with them just by talking. Really no idea about the Mandalore. Atton and Kreia can be opened up just on Ebon Hawk, ditto for your gender-specific companion and (I think) Mira and Hanharr. The two returning robots are mostly repair/computer skill checks.
You might want to bring Atton around if you want to make sure he's a Jedi before his solo section, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 20, 2015