Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

I guess that $23K is on it's way to ISIS now.

Along with a really sweet deal on a BMW 428i. No more white Toyota pickups for ISIL.

Didn't he say the first car deal fell through? I wonder what that car was. Maybe that was part of the price scam. "Oh no, you didn't get this auction, let's work out an even better deal with a better car as compensation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Nail Rat posted:

Same, actually. Making it fun would be the tough part, unfortunately.

...but for only $2.99, you can buy a $35,000 loan for your dumb character! Wow!

Not a Children posted:

I would just have it throw out a pop-up that says "you have just fallen for a get-rich-quick scheme, penalty $2000 at 12% interest"

Meanwhile the programmer gets that sweet sweet microtransaction dosh

Throwing in a random, "buy so and so for $X" half way through the game, but making it a lesson instead of a real purchase, would be the poo poo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Add in MLM schemes and add another gameplay mechanic where you have to do things like "burn vacation days to go to sales conferences" or "switch from full-time to part-time work to support your business reselling knives/energy drinks/candles/makeup" or "pay back supplier for failing to sell merchandise" and just have the results shake out over the 30 simulated years. Maybe a bit too subtle?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Make a version of the sims that ties into your mint.com account (with more budget I'd have it actually hack into your online banking). Your sims will start off by finding themselves in the situation one is currently in, and depict all of the horrible consequences. Then you can load your save and do it again while getting sage advice about doing it the right way and hopefully notice that you can do that in real life, as well.

You are 75. You wake up and your back is throbbing. You feel like you cannot go to work but you'll be fired if you no-show again at CVS. Do you:
A. Stay home and get fired, becoming unable to pay your bills, or
B. Go to work and risk a permanent injury for the remainder of your life

You just an emergency medical expense come up that wiped out your savings and left you in crippling debt. You are facing foreclosure and might end up homeless and elderly if you cannot somehow pay it off. Your daughter, after fifteen years of hard work, announced that she has saved up the money to go on the honeymoon of her dreams. Do you:
A. Ask your daughter for the money, knowing she'll help you but be forced to put her dreams on hold
B. Face foreclosure head on, and start researching local homeless shelters

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You are 75. You wake up and your back is throbbing. You feel like you cannot go to work but you'll be fired if you no-show again at CVS. Do you:
A. Stay home and get fired, becoming unable to pay your bills, or
B. Go to work and risk a permanent injury for the remainder of your life

From the limited number of people I know who are 75, they pretty much hurt anyway. Most of them would probably want to be on the job hoping for something to happen so they could transition to benefits.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Antifreeze Head posted:

From the limited number of people I know who are 75, they pretty much hurt anyway. Most of them would probably want to be on the job hoping for something to happen so they could transition to benefits.
jesus spoiler tag that poo poo!!!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It's BWM to make your finances so complicated that you start missing payments as they slip through. I'm approaching that and really need to simplify.

Since April, I've gone from zero to five credit cards, all but one with 0% APR, so I'm paying the minimum on those.
From one checking account to three, picking up $250 in rewards because of it, with one job depositing money to one, and my part time job to another.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Despite the five cards, my net worth goes up about $2k a month. I got those mainly to slowly bump up my credit score.

Once I get this last checking reward, I'm going back down to one checking account, and when the promotional 0% APR expires, I'll be using one card and paying the statement balance every month.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Moneyball posted:

It's BWM to make your finances so complicated that you start missing payments as they slip through. I'm approaching that and really need to simplify.

Since April, I've gone from zero to five credit cards, all but one with 0% APR, so I'm paying the minimum on those.
From one checking account to three, picking up $250 in rewards because of it, with one job depositing money to one, and my part time job to another.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Despite the five cards, my net worth goes up about $2k a month. I got those mainly to slowly bump up my credit score.

Once I get this last checking reward, I'm going back down to one checking account, and when the promotional 0% APR expires, I'll be using one card and paying the statement balance every month.
I have more credit cards than that. I use 2 (one Amex, one Visa), and the rest are setup for statement balance auto pay and have a single recurring bill (Netflix, Plex, Comcast, etc) setup on each. Everything is linked in quicken and it's super, super easy to track... Key thing here is to use software to make your life easier.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I have YNAB, and while I'm obsessive enough about my financial situation that I don't think I would let anything go unpaid, dealing with the three checking accounts is a pain in the rear end.

Actually, what I should have said was that I'll be doing pretty much what you are- small charge to each card every month, with all set to pay the statement balance. I meant that my main spending is going to go on one card, spending so little on the others that I don't have to pay much attention.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My BiL and SiL are possibly looking to do a rent-to-own on a house, I've always heard these are a bad idea...anyone have a good rundown or link that has the pros and cons of doing this? Something that my wife could send them to read over?

They've had bad credit in the past and I think they've paid down all their debts and both are making good money now.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 16, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

It's the most expensive way to buy a house. It's a last resort for people who want to buy but aren't qualified for a loan.

Just compare it to buying a TV from rent a center.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

That's just what the big banks and the 1% want you to think!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it more difficult to build equity in rent-to-own? Like the owner/lender doesn't have to apply your equity in the same way a bank does?I want to say that rent-to-own is one of the ways Black borrowers used to get hosed back in the old redlining days.

I guess it could work if you get a favorable or fair contract. But if you're doing rent-to-own you probably don't have much leverage.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

My BiL and SiL are possibly looking to do a rent-to-own on a house, I've always heard these are a bad idea...anyone have a good rundown or link that has the pros and cons of doing this? Something that my wife could send them to read over?

They've had bad credit in the past and I think they've paid down all their debts and both are making good money now.

Whether it's good or bad completely depends upon the details of the contract and your personal situation. It can be terrible or it can be great. There's almost no way to generalize without seeing a detailed agreement and knowing your goals.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Blocking texts from Uber while you're a driver for them seems bad with money... Sounds like they're one of those people who never fucks up and it's always someone else's fault when something goes wrong.
https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/3x21d3/the_no_second_chance_economy/

Now, the BWM:

Permanent Victim posted:

Now, I'm without an income. My car has 80k+ miles on it being only 2 years old, and all the money I have is going to go toward major services which it desperately is in need of.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
How people can think Uber is GWM as an income source is beyond me. That post pretty much nails why. I love the NO SECOND CHANCE economy part, and the part about being an independent contractor is so sad. How you gonna disrupt the taxi industry without operating like... the taxi industry?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The comments in that post show no remorse. The TLDR was spot on.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Iron Lung posted:

How people can think Uber is GWM as an income source is beyond me.

People are very, very bad at thinking about long-term consequences, and a lot of Uber's long-term effects only come after you've been doing it a while -- increased maintenance costs, wear and tear, excessive mileage. Not to mention that being on the road so much also means you're a good deal more likely to get into an accident, and with the awkward and confusing insurance coverage around Uber, you can rapidly find yourself completely up poo poo creek.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Whether it's good or bad completely depends upon the details of the contract and your personal situation. It can be terrible or it can be great. There's almost no way to generalize without seeing a detailed agreement and knowing your goals.

Well I looked at the zillow page for the property: 3 months ago the house was listed at 400k, then down to 387k after a month and then suddenly jumped up to 450k and seems to be in control of a company that advertises "we'll buy any house, no matter what your situation is" kind of places. I'm guessing they jacked the price up to justify an eye watering 2300/mo rent to own price. I sent my SiL a message on facebook with that information and hopefully they will realize it's a terrible idea.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

Well I looked at the zillow page for the property: 3 months ago the house was listed at 400k, then down to 387k after a month and then suddenly jumped up to 450k and seems to be in control of a company that advertises "we'll buy any house, no matter what your situation is" kind of places. I'm guessing they jacked the price up to justify an eye watering 2300/mo rent to own price. I sent my SiL a message on facebook with that information and hopefully they will realize it's a terrible idea.

Smart. Also direct them to a site like myfico where they can pull their credit reports and scores themselves to see where they are. A lot of people worry about down payment and credit, but it generally beats getting involved with one of those shadier companies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

People are very, very bad at thinking about long-term consequences, and a lot of Uber's long-term effects only come after you've been doing it a while -- increased maintenance costs, wear and tear, excessive mileage. Not to mention that being on the road so much also means you're a good deal more likely to get into an accident, and with the awkward and confusing insurance coverage around Uber, you can rapidly find yourself completely up poo poo creek.

I had a driver that drove a real taxi for 20 years, but switched to Uber because he didn't want to die (this was in Washington D.C.). Uber didn't pay as well, but you know who your clients are and no cash changes hands.

That said, I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to stick with Uber much longer. Safety, in and of itself not paying the bills.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

You can manipulate the price on Zillow by changing attributes once you claim ownership of the house. A jump like that tells me they went through and changed the square footage or added a bunch of "features" that may or may not actually be in the house.

Jan 11, 2004

BloodBag posted:

Blocking texts from Uber while you're a driver for them seems bad with money... Sounds like they're one of those people who never fucks up and it's always someone else's fault when something goes wrong.
https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/3x21d3/the_no_second_chance_economy/

Now, the BWM:

He has an excellent point though that it is quite at odds for uber to insist that their drivers are contractors yet demand they be constantly available by multiple methods of communication in addition to their proprietary app and meet arbitrary minimums of "enough rides" which is apparently more than three per day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

You can manipulate the price on Zillow by changing attributes once you claim ownership of the house. A jump like that tells me they went through and changed the square footage or added a bunch of "features" that may or may not actually be in the house.

I get what you mean, that's the "zestimate" which still estimates this house somewhere in the low 300's. I was describing was the actual sale price of the house being adjusted.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

BraveUlysses posted:

I get what you mean, that's the "zestimate" which still estimates this house somewhere in the low 300's. I was describing was the actual sale price of the house being adjusted.

Zillow can be a bit wonky with price history. Are they working with a realtor? If so a realtor can check MLS to see what the actual price history is. And if they aren't working with a realtor they really should be, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like realtors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He has an excellent point though that it is quite at odds for uber to insist that their drivers are contractors yet demand they be constantly available by multiple methods of communication in addition to their proprietary app and meet arbitrary minimums of "enough rides" which is apparently more than three per day.

I've been a contractor in software, and if I didn't follow my client's communication preferences, or work as frequently as they expected, I would expect them to stop doing business with me. Their expectations may or may not be reasonable in my eyes, but they decide the terms of the contract, and those things are definitely in-bounds for contracts.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Counterpoint to this is it's not really accurate. You can select when you're on a shift and turn it off when you don't want to pick up rides. So if they see a driver who has the app on but is consistently declining rides, it makes sense to me that they would eventually say "thanks but we have people who don't turn rides like this down all the time" because it's a revenue loss for them at some point right? I get trying to maximize your rides and routes, but consistently denying rides makes you look pretty ineffective compared to other drivers I would imagine.

And yeah those comments were brutal. Pretty sure the sympathy for the plight of the uber driver that I remember for from a while back is now clearly on a sharp decline.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Iron Lung posted:

Pretty sure the sympathy for the plight of the uber driver that I remember for from a while back is now clearly on a sharp decline.

It's becoming common knowledge that being an uber driver is a financially lovely prospect, particularly if it's your sole income. People have little sympathy for those they view as willfully ignoring common knowledge.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I was told your acceptance rate must be above 80% for regular and 90% for uber black

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

It's becoming common knowledge that being an uber driver is a financially lovely prospect, particularly if it's your sole income. People have little sympathy for those they view as willfully ignoring common knowledge.

Could you explain more about what makes being an uber drive so lovely? Just curious

Jan 11, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Do you think most people take on crappy low paying service industry jobs because they ignore the common knowledge that it is a financially lovely proposition, or do you think they may not have other better options?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Nirvikalpa posted:

Could you explain more about what makes being an uber drive so lovely? Just curious

The thread has gone over this a few times now.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I think that's the thing about Uber, people see it as not a low end service position and go in to as such. All the people I know who drive do it on the side (or see my previous post about my bil) or other drivers I've met want to be their own boss without doing the other stuff this usually requires. It's easy short term cash but bad long term. So I'm note sure that it's that they're not otherwise employable, but they seem to not want other jobs because in the scheme of things it's pretty easy work. Unless you're a car.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Nirvikalpa posted:

http://citypaper.net/uberdriver/

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The bright side of people figuring out that Uber is a lovely deal is that maybe people will actually start to think about negative externalities.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Armacham posted:

The bright side of people figuring out that Uber is a lovely deal is that maybe people will actually start to think about negative externalities.

You're loving adorable.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Nirvikalpa posted:

The revenue drivers receive really isn't commensurate with the costs of actually doing the work that they're being paid for, and they have to shoulder those costs. Many Uber drivers do their work with personal insurance even though they're engaged in a commercial activity. They use their personal vehicle which depreciates at an accelerated rate because of all the mileage and wear they put on it, and incur increased maintenance costs. And Uber isn't as simple as flip on the app and start driving as the reddit post shows, they statistically track your acceptance rate and you have to meet performance metrics to keep getting business from them. Basically driving for Uber is a way to maybe break even or make a tiny amount of cash outside of surge pricing, but because all of the costs it imposes on its drivers are delayed, people do it without understanding how much money they are actually making.

Do you think most people take on crappy low paying service industry jobs because they ignore the common knowledge that it is a financially lovely proposition, or do you think they may not have other better options?

I think that in the specific case of Uber there's some amount of willful ignorance or outright denial. I think that Reddit poster falls into the outright denial category, and that said I still think he deserves some level of sympathy. In general I think that people in crappy low paying service jobs still deserve to be paid a living wage, do not deserve the amount of disdain that they generally end up receiving, and that Uber is immorrally exploitative of its drivers.

But I can still describe the social phenomena that when someone does something that is broadly perceived as foolish, they receive little sympathy for the consequences.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Armacham posted:

Effects on your driver are not an externality, they're a party of the transaction. Externalities are stuff like pollution and wear and tear on the roads that neither of you are paying for.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Nothing like a good clickbait article to gin up the ol' badwithmoney:

https://www.dailyworth.com/posts/4029-the-hidden-cost-of-diy

The premise is "there are some things you should leave to the experts!" which is true enough; it's probably not a good idea to flush your transmission fluid at home for example, and they point out that selling your home and doing your taxes can be tricky if you have a complicated situation but then the article goes right to crazy town.

quote:

Doing Chores and Errands

These days, you can farm out nearly any task you have to get done: For a few bucks, Instacart arranges a personal shopper to bring groceries from nearby supermarkets straight to your door in an hour or two. Munchery will deliver meals prepared by local chefs (cost: about $10 a serving). Shell out $5 for Shyp’s couriers to pick up, pack, and mail packages for you. Google Express will send goods from local shops to your door within a day — for free. Washio picks up your laundry and returns it to you clean and folded for $1.85 a pound.

The question you have to ask yourself is: How much is your time worth? For whatever jobs you need to knock off, do a quick cost-benefit analysis to see whether your time would be better spent on other pursuits. If paying $5 for someone else to do your grocery shopping means you can put in an extra hour at your $20-an-hour job, it’s a no-brainer.

quote:

For whatever jobs you need to knock off, do a quick cost-benefit analysis to see whether your time would be better spent on other pursuits. If paying $5 for someone else to do your grocery shopping means you can put in an extra hour at your $20-an-hour job, it’s a no-brainer.

quote:

If paying $5 for someone else to do your grocery shopping means you can put in an extra hour at your $20-an-hour job, it’s a no-brainer.
:psyduck:

edit: Good with money - The Daily Worth getting paid a couple thou to post an article that slyly advertises Instacart, Munchery, and Shyp as useful services and not loving stupid ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that unless you have 7 figgies in the bank your free time is worthless. The oligarchs said so

• Locked thread