Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just watched this and now I want an SG gently caress offffffg
http://youtu.be/cHKTAyaWVqU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They're fun guitars.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wengy posted:

Just watched this and now I want an SG gently caress offffffg
http://youtu.be/cHKTAyaWVqU

Do it. Join the best electric guitar club.

peter gabriel posted:

I've played one, liked it and will buy one in the new year but my frame of reference is non existent.
I've been reading up on them and they seem to be a great choice for the price.

I'm really thinking about a G9202. They sound awesome on the better YouTube demos and the finishes are very nice.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Just got a used ltd anniversary viper 500 and immediately dropped it within 5 minutes of purchasing. It's fine, just worth about $50 usd less now. Straplocks folks.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
String change talk:

On electrics it is pretty simple. My Gretsch where people told me horror stories is arguably the simplest, go figure. I can do my Strat VERY quickly. Generally, I am not a fan of the 3 by 3 layout during changes, because I am weird with stuff like that. I lose my bearings when switching from the bass to treble strings. I have switched to Elixirs on guitars I play less frequently, as it means the strings are usually still workable after long bouts of neglect.

On acoustics, well gently caress. I hate pulling the pins out and I had an old yamaha that would make horrible creaking when putting them back in. I am pretty careful with things, but that guitar has made me seriously feel like I have to conduct an operation when dealing with the stupid pins. Either way, I am switching to elixirs permanently on acoustics once I finish up the regular phosphor strings I have. Maybe my sweat has a weird acid, but acoustic strings seem to last absolutely no time at all for me. Electric strings, I can easily get weeks out of, if not longer. No rust, no blackening, just some deadening with the sound. Acoustics, well by the end of the week look like they have been rusting out at sea for a few years.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My acoustic doesn't get much play mainly because I find changing strings a pain on it. Those drat pins seem stable and then juuuust as it gets to pitch, bam, pops out and I have to start over. My electrics are all sweet though. All of mine are 3x3 I just realised, although I've changed strings on Strats for friends too. It took me ages to attempt to change strings when I started. I learned a few things though. Like, don't trim the ends until all the strings are on, otherwise it's a recipe for pointy bits in your hands. I actually find the process of restringing relaxing. It takes maybe 15-20 minutes if I take the strings off, give the guitar a good clean and tidy up and then restring.

NYXLs for me though. I started on Ernie Ball standards, then tried the Cobalts and wasn't feeling them. NYXLs are a bit pricier but they feel tougher which is nice because I like wailing at time while using 9s. They also seem to last a little longer.

I have acid hands too, which really kills my strings. I might get a month if I wipe them down every time I pick them up, otherwise they're dead quick as. I've never tried Elixirs though. I've heard they're amazing but man they cost a lot. Maybe I should grab a pack to try out?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

syntaxfunction posted:

I have acid hands too, which really kills my strings. I might get a month if I wipe them down every time I pick them up, otherwise they're dead quick as. I've never tried Elixirs though. I've heard they're amazing but man they cost a lot. Maybe I should grab a pack to try out?

Elixirs are pretty solid, you have nothing to lose trying a pack. There are two variants that I am aware of, I just use the cheaper version. Personally, I don't find the sound to be any worse than normal strings, and the feel doesn't bother me either. Again, YMMV but it is worth trying at least once. They do last significantly longer than non-coated strings. I think whatever alloy is used in acoustic strings is simply less durable than the nickel/steel in electrics full stop. Elixirs on those is a no-brainer if the sound works for you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's polyweb and nanoweb and apparently one of them is great if you corrode strings a lot, the other isn't. I forget which is which so you'll have to investigate the internet

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I have actually very little sweat/oil so my strings last longer than most. I may or may not be a ticking time bomb to immediately dripping sweat one minute into a task like my dad does though. TIME WILL TELL

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Some tricks to keeping your strings lasting a little longer (moms hate them!):

-Wash your hands before playing.
-Wipe off your strings with a towel or an old, but clean, shirt.
-GHS Fast Fret.
-Get a fan for your practice area.
-Don't give a poo poo that your strings only lasted two weeks even though you played them for 3 hours a day for two weeks straight. This isn't chanukah, poo poo wears out over time.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Also, store your guitar in a case.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

My acoustic doesn't get much play mainly because I find changing strings a pain on it. Those drat pins seem stable and then juuuust as it gets to pitch, bam, pops out and I have to start over. My electrics are all sweet though. All of mine are 3x3 I just realised, although I've changed strings on Strats for friends too. It took me ages to attempt to change strings when I started. I learned a few things though. Like, don't trim the ends until all the strings are on, otherwise it's a recipe for pointy bits in your hands. I actually find the process of restringing relaxing. It takes maybe 15-20 minutes if I take the strings off, give the guitar a good clean and tidy up and then restring.

Martin has some good videos covering strings for acoustics on their YouTube channel. It's important to get a good position on the ball end so it rests against the bridge plate. Also depending on the instruments age and construction if the bridge is slotted you shouldn't use slotted pins and vice versa. If you look it up you can find some good picture illustrating it and you can reach in and feel around or get a mirror to look at the placement.

Usually if you have one of those string winders it will have a little slot on the end that acts as a bridge pin extractor. I never realized it for the longest time.

Trying different strings on an acoustic can change the tone big time too, so it's fun to experiment with. I started doing the thing one of the guys in the Martin video suggested where I take the packaging from the strings and put the date on it when I put them on and then stick it in my guitar case. Then if I want to try those again or remember how long they have been on its easy.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I hate the feeling and sound of coated strings. Any other fingerstyle bros here feel the same?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

KyloWinter posted:

I hate the feeling and sound of coated strings. Any other fingerstyle bros here feel the same?

They're awful sounding and feel gross and slippery.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I play more with a wood or horse hoof pick than fingerstyle, but either way, I hate coated strings* too. 80/20s or death. I like the brassy, chimey sound. Phosphor bronze sound like tinny rear end to me.

*Except on bass, where tapewounds are the poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love the infinite battle of 80/20 sounds tinny! No PB sounds tinny! I wonder why that is? I guess we all hear things in a different way and something about the pure acoustic string sound really hits us in a different way. I've always used PBs and feel like they sound the thickest and deepest but I've only heard 80/20s via headphones. I should add though that I don't care for PBs new. After broke in until death they sound wonderful to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

As far as guitar string types go it honestly varies from guitar to guitar. Some of em need some extra brightness and some do not. That's what I have to say.

Besides that I also think coated strings feel slippery and weird.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'd guess it might have to do with what frequencies one likes. On amps, I tend to cut the treble and crank the presence (or high treble on a JC amp). 80/20s sound kind of like the same effect. Less fundamental up around 2000hz, more harmonics. It's just a guess, but I am chasing more or less the same characteristics on both acoustic and clean electrics.

I tend to play thick, deep sounding acoustics as it is: most of mine are Guilds, which are all about the fundamental. 80/20s give me sort of a bell-like overtone thing, or something. Not very cutting, more something you have to give space to, to be able to hear it. I used to play with a guy who had a 12-string Martin, and I eventually gave up and bought a 6-string Martin just to be heard over him.

I have a similar dislike for about 60hz, which sounds muddy and boomy. 30hz is glorious though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Spanish Manlove posted:

-Wipe off your strings with a towel or an old, but clean, shirt.

Use an old band shirt so your strings absorb the RAWK (and another for polishing. And general maintenance/cleaning. I've never thrown out a band shirt.)

So, guys! It's been a week since we went into the studio to finally finish recording the album! And the guy hasn't emailed out the rough mixes! And I'm in Israel right now without a computer or decent headphones to hear it anyway! :negative:

I've gotten enough of the hang of the No Brainer to get the feedback under control (still can't figure out exactly how that mid control works, though) so I was able to use it for the entire session. Since it's made by an Israeli guy (Greenhouse Effects), I thought I'd try to find a dealer while I'm here. First guitar store I found, the guy had not only never heard of them, but was flabbergasted I was so pleased with an Israeli product!

He kept saying "are you sure you like it?" :psyduck:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You should've been like "nah you're right i'd rather have the palestinian one"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

muike posted:

You should've been like "nah you're right i'd rather have the palestinian one"

I get too :smith: just thinking about it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I never realised that Mark Tremonti was in Alter Bridge, nor did I realise that Myles Kennedy was in it too. Kind of like if Slash's new band was awesome instead of relatively mediocre aside from one or two great songs. ANYWAY, put my Jackson into standard tuning and then dropped the sixth string to a B and it sounded pretty awesome. Another new sound for me to try to play with in addition to Open Cmaj, which was just revelatory in terms of breaking my old habit patterns of playing. Here's a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuqUCMSXm4k

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

unlawfulsoup posted:

Elixirs are pretty solid, you have nothing to lose trying a pack. There are two variants that I am aware of, I just use the cheaper version. Personally, I don't find the sound to be any worse than normal strings, and the feel doesn't bother me either. Again, YMMV but it is worth trying at least once. They do last significantly longer than non-coated strings. I think whatever alloy is used in acoustic strings is simply less durable than the nickel/steel in electrics full stop. Elixirs on those is a no-brainer if the sound works for you.

I agree, it's worth a shot. That said, I personally see a stark difference between coated strings and regular ones. Elixirs were amazing for me when I was learning the ropes but now that I'm more attuned (lol get it guys) to different sounds and tones, I find coated strings to sounds really bright and plastic-y.

I like singing along with my guitar and "normal" strings have a warmer, deeper tone that lend themselves really well to this. Sadly, unlike the elixirs, I find that the tone on regular strings starts degrading after just two or three sessions :sigh: This is why some of us are pretty tripped out to hear that y'all wait months before swapping out strings, the difference between a fresh set and the tired strings on cousin Joe's guitar is like night and day, with new strings having an incredible "shimmer" to them. Full disclaimer, I'm strictly talking about acoustic strings so maybe there's less variance with electric ones?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, I love the idea of coated strings but in reality it turns out that I really hate their tone. It took me a few months to figure that out, so I'd recommend just trying out a bunch of different brands and types. In addition to finding the brand(s) that really work for you and your preferences, I bet most of you that are apprehensive about swapping strings will be more than comfortable after swapping them out to try several different sets.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 15, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I took the Sheraton along to do some recording on an album and 100% of the people there struck a chord and said 'gently caress me!'
They loved it so much it's still down there, they are re recording all the guitar parts with it ha ha.
Was really nice, that guitar kicks some rear end. I would recommend doing what I did if you can, even if it's week by week over a couple of months.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is how you make your strings last longer, this is the best way.

Buy more guitars, and rotate them, keep buying guitars then buy some more. before you know it you'll be changing strings way way less.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I find you change strings with the same frequency because as soon as you kill a set of strings you'll pick up a different guitar and realize those strings are dead so you change them and now play this different guitar because it has fresh strings.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Sold my Gibson LPJ because it wasn't getting played and rolled the money into a Christmas gift for the wife :negative:

Oh, but I kept the hand wound hum-sized P90s that can go in my old trusty Strat that needs some pickups :getin:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/news_events/musical_instruments/new_electric_guitar_series_revstar/

:swoon: If these are ever launched in the US I swear to god :swoon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Spanish Manlove posted:

I find you change strings with the same frequency because as soon as you kill a set of strings you'll pick up a different guitar and realize those strings are dead so you change them and now play this different guitar because it has fresh strings.

But if you're like me and try to do enough projects/bands to justify all the guitars, you'll be too tired to care.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

I don't think I have ever even touched a Yamaha guitar that wasn't acoustic. Those look pretty awesome though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sounds to me like you need to buy another guitar :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TopherCStone posted:

I don't think I have ever even touched a Yamaha guitar that wasn't acoustic. Those look pretty awesome though.

Pacificas are supposed to be pretty good but I've never played one. I generally like Yamaha, they make good products and seem to be getting even more serious about guitar lately. I just hope they learn how to advertise and push their products because they never do well on that front at all.

peter gabriel posted:

Sounds to me like you need to buy another guitar :v:

It looks like I'll be getting a G9201 from the fat man in a week or so. I'm doing it right.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

It looks like I'll be getting a G9201 from the fat man in a week or so. I'm doing it right.

Oooh, please post your opinions, nice one man, I'm chuffed for you :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Holy gently caress I hate DiMarzio right now

loving tiny rear end wires breaking from friction when you try to move the insulation off :argh:

(it's done, i'm taking a break then i'll start stringing and height adjusting and picturesing)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shugojin posted:

Holy gently caress I hate DiMarzio right now

loving tiny rear end wires breaking from friction when you try to move the insulation off :argh:

(it's done, i'm taking a break then i'll start stringing and height adjusting and picturesing)

Oh god this.

I love the sound I get from them, but those small rear end wires were seriously a :wtc: moment when I went to install them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of tonedads suddenly cried out in rage and then shut the gently caress up

John Petrucci crunchlab/liquifire set. Pretty good so far, got the relative tone difference going on that I want for bridge/neck. The crunchlab is pretty much a firebreather and will start ODing the amp with the guitar volume above like 2 or so though. It's got a real tight feel so mutes come through nicely and it's still got plenty of definition on chords. The liquifire is based off the air norton which is basically one of my favorite neck pickups ever and it still does the same things I like from that pickup but is a bit hotter. Harmonics loving bloom out like mad from it. So far my only real complaint is that they aren't God's Chosen Pickup Color, the zebra stripe. But they WERE 20% off so who caaaaares I'll live

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 16, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

peter gabriel posted:

Oooh, please post your opinions, nice one man, I'm chuffed for you :)

I'll make sure to give a nice writeup once I bond with the big hunk o' metal. I might even stop being lazy/timid and record something with it!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'll make sure to give a nice writeup once I bond with the big hunk o' metal. I might even stop being lazy/timid and record something with it!

Is there some way we can jam online?
I think there is, I need to look into it, don't worry, I suck!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Is there some way we can jam online?
I think there is, I need to look into it, don't worry, I suck!

"okay, I'll count you in on the beat, just make sure to play everything 60ms early."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sout posted:

"okay, I'll count you in on the beat, just make sure to play everything 60ms early."

There's something called Ninjam that I haven't tried, but it's based around synchronising phrases - a bit like when you play over a looper pedal, except the loop you're playing over is what everyone else played on the last loop. So more of a jam thing than dynamic live interaction, but it could be cool