Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Human Tornada posted:

I've never been sure why it generates all the hate it does.

1. The idea of cocoa and cinnamon in chili sounds gross to lots of people
2. It's not real chili :smug:
3. Anthony Bourdain makes fun of it, and anything he says is the word of God to some people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

3. Anthony Bourdain makes fun of it, and anything he says is the word of God to some people

I accidentally dumped some cinnamon onto some meat I was browning for chili instead of cumin and it turned out pretty good. Cincinnati chili still sounds grody.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's meat, spaghetti, cheese, how loving bad can it be, would a million times

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

It's meat, spaghetti, cheese, how loving bad can it be, would a million times

It's honestly not that bad if you use it like a condiment. It's way too cloying for me to eat by itself and that allspice/cloves/cinnamon/cocoa combo tastes like someone dumped grandma's potpourri in a ground beef/tomato slurry.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jesus loving christ it's like a hot dog and a zit had a baby :barf:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I like to think LA beast was Hitler in his previous life, and that his current life is his punishment.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wood.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Mostly for me it's because it's boring, tasteless, and people are inexplicably attached to it when there's better competition. It's the weird love of such a bland dish and the fervent defensiveness towards it that makes it fun to mock.

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Dec 16, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Using real bitter cocoa powder in that kinda thing would make an amazing mole sauce tho tbqh

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Also I ate the tin of smoked oysters that I bought way long ago:

They look like slimy alien pods that emerged from some kind of shell, p gross imo

They tasted like tinned sardines without the fishy flavor. It was alright with a little bit of tabasco.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Reminder that this is literally named corn smut

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

pandaK posted:

Also I ate the tin of smoked oysters that I bought way long ago:

They look like slimy alien pods that emerged from some kind of shell, p gross imo

They tasted like tinned sardines without the fishy flavor. It was alright with a little bit of tabasco.

:saddowns: Is that canned larvae in the back?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

That stuff is delicious

cash crab posted:

:saddowns: Is that canned larvae in the back?

Yeah, they taste like nuts but smell of hell and suffering.
Beondegi

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Diseased corn is not food.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mymla posted:

Diseased corn is not food.

it's just fungus, man. Do you call mushroom fields diseased earth?

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Zanael posted:

But what is it ? Please don't tell me it's a giant lump of mayo.

Ice cream with potato chips!

Daniel Hillard
May 22, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Mostly for me it's because it's boring, tasteless, and people are inexplicably attached to it when there's better competition. It's the weird love of such a bland dish and the fervent defensiveness towards it that makes it fun to mock.

It's not actually.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

pandaK posted:

it's just fungus, man. Do you call mushroom fields diseased earth?

I do, yes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Videos about button mushroom farming are worse than sausage making tbh and make corn smut look positively delicious by comparison.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Those totally flattened and burned cookies make me sad.

Anyway,

red bean popsicle

Adamantly would not. Looks like a tick.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Scathach posted:

Anyway,

red bean popsicle

I don't know what kind of ticks you've seen but that thing is ostensibly popsicle sized, also delicious

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Scathach posted:

Anyway,

red bean popsicle

Fare thee well. Remain thou still in darkness:
thou shalt hold the opinion of Pythagoras ere I will
allow of thy wits, and fear to eat a popsicle, lest
thou inbibeth the blood of another.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Scathach posted:

Anyway,

red bean popsicle

"That is a testicle on a stick." - My first thought

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Huitlacoche is great, but I'll agree I get nauseous looking at it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

tho tbf patbingsu is the best red bean dessert. the popsicles are just a pale substitution for those.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

RareAcumen posted:

I knoe right???? Gosh, it's so hard to understand the constant unfettered hyperbole going on in this thread at times

I just don't understand why people keep making GBS threads on food here all the time

I just don't understand. It makes no sense, why would someone badmouth a food?

Holy poo poo dude, you really got me good!

Plan Z posted:

Like the flavor or not, I strongly disagree that it's bland and tasteless. I also disagree that there's any real fervent defensiveness towards it. At least I've never come across any in my 32 years. It's like how you hear "ugh those SMUG VEGANS are always shoving their lifestyle in my face!" way, waaaay more than you actually ever hear from one of these mythical proselytizing vegans.

Human Tornada has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Dec 17, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Scathach posted:

Anyway,

red bean popsicle

The first time my mom took me to an Asian food market they were handing out red bean ice cream samples and I threw up in the parking lot after trying it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Goons, goons never change

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

GoutPatrol posted:

The first time my mom took me to an Asian food market they were handing out red bean ice cream samples and I threw up in the parking lot after trying it.

I once tried red bean icecream and upon eating it satan himself was summoned forth and said unto me ''you will go forth to the internet and complain about your tender tummy for all time'' as I simultaneously vomited and poo poo myself to death

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

NotAnArtist posted:

I once tried red bean icecream and upon eating it satan himself was summoned forth and said unto me ''you will go forth to the internet and complain about your tender tummy for all time'' as I simultaneously vomited and poo poo myself to death

same except it was a tray of 1/4-price blowjobs that hadn't sold before last call at Shooter's and they were curdled as f

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Red/green bean ice cream is just boiled and mashed up beans mixed with sugar and then frozen. You can get the same poo poo in not-frozen form in red bean paste buns and stuff.

I thing bean paste ice cream/desserts must be one of those innocuous things that white people have some kind of irrational aversion to, the other being congee. They're both just minimally processed starch that don't taste of anything really other than whatever flavorings you put into them, but apparently it makes some people vomit?

I don't get it but then I also don't get putting cocoa in meat sauce.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Mostly it's because it looked like a tick. A big, fat, red, tiny-legged tick-on-a-stick.

Fine, have some aspic:

4 cups tomato juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 bay leaf
1 cup chopped onion and celery
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
dash of Tabasco or other hot sauce, optional
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 packages (1/2 oz.) gelatin
2 tablespoons mild vinegar, like apple cider vinegar
chopped scallions or sliced pitted green olives
for serving: butter lettuce leaves, homemade mayonnaise

Scathach has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Dec 17, 2015

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Throatwarbler posted:

Red/green bean ice cream is just boiled and mashed up beans mixed with sugar and then frozen. You can get the same poo poo in not-frozen form in red bean paste buns and stuff.

I thing bean paste ice cream/desserts must be one of those innocuous things that white people have some kind of irrational aversion to, the other being congee. They're both just minimally processed starch that don't taste of anything really other than whatever flavorings you put into them, but apparently it makes some people vomit?

I don't get it but then I also don't get putting cocoa in meat sauce.

For some reason people get super weirded/grossed out by it being a dessert/sweet that is called red bean paste. I had a bun filled with sweet red bean paste and aside from the texture it was pretty much like eating a jelly donut, but when I mentioned that it was good to family members they would get grossed out.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I feel like aspic is cheating for this thread

Pick your pallet cleanser afterward:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

^^^ I'll take poo pile no. 1, please. Looks like some sort of cinnamon-apple-potato puree and probably tastes like apple pie.

Hot mac+cold beef just sounds gross.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

This earns a "gently caress you" reaction from me. Absolutely repulsive. A+.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

gonna catch that wabbit

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

Like the flavor or not, I strongly disagree that it's bland and tasteless. I also disagree that there's any real fervent defensiveness towards it. At least I've never come across any in my 32 years. It's like how you hear "ugh those SMUG VEGANS are always shoving their lifestyle in my face!" way, waaaay more than you actually ever hear from one of these mythical proselytizing vegans.
"your chili is dumb."

Just laugh with us.

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

When are we going to get cheap insect protein in the US? I would totally buy and eat most insect products if they were cheaper than beef and chicken. Seriously.

• Locked thread