Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
So started playing this for whatever reason and got up to level 8 with a bard. What's a good low end weapon for a melee character that's fairly cheap/easy to get? I think right now I have a 7/33 tarnished bastard sword. Am I gimping myself by not just going caster and just twinking the melee character I actually want to play down the road when better gear is easier to buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Beach Party posted:

So started playing this for whatever reason and got up to level 8 with a bard. What's a good low end weapon for a melee character that's fairly cheap/easy to get? I think right now I have a 7/33 tarnished bastard sword. Am I gimping myself by not just going caster and just twinking the melee character I actually want to play down the road when better gear is easier to buy?

The slow rear end exp was what convinced me to roll a melee character from the get-go because I'm probably not gonna wanna level a twink any time soon. Hopefully after Velious hits or something they'll speed it up.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Beach Party posted:

I'd get a smithed weapon, ask anyone advertising banded armor. If they're at a point where they aren't chain failing banded armor and can sell it weapons are trivial. Molds for a forged bastard sword are ~2p total and sheet metal is easy to get from tarnished weapons. Take medium - large tarnished weapon (ie not a dagger, axe, spear), put in forge with a flask of water, out comes ore, 2 ore from that is a sheet metal.

EDIT: I have leftover sheet metal apparently and might be able to take a whack at making one if you give me molds, I'm barely trivial so no promises.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 15, 2015

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Stanos posted:

I'd get a smithed weapon, ask anyone advertising banded armor. If they're at a point where they aren't chain failing banded armor and can sell it weapons are trivial. Molds for a forged bastard sword are ~2p total and sheet metal is easy to get from tarnished weapons. Take medium - large tarnished weapon (ie not a dagger, axe, spear), put in forge with a flask of water, out comes ore, 2 ore from that is a sheet metal.

EDIT: I have leftover sheet metal apparently and might be able to take a whack at making one if you give me molds, I'm barely trivial so no promises.

Oh nice, if your going to be on tonight I can definitely hit you up with a mold. My bards name is Landing

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Parcel me like 2 plat, I logged off early. Enjoy!

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

Stanos posted:

Parcel me like 2 plat, I logged off early. Enjoy!

Will do, thanks buddy! :haw:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Shaman are the workhorses of the EQ universe. I respect anyone who played this class back in the days of classic up until they got group versions of their buff spells.

Hard to talk in groups since you're doing the canni dance all the time to keep mana up. A lonely road indeed.

EDIT: Did they change the agro of disease spells like Disease Cloud for SKs? Used to be if you wanted to hold agro you could chain cast that like paladins chain cast their cheap stun. None of the SKs i've grouped with do this. Rangers can do this with flame lick too if I remember.

I know mana pools are small, but even in the 30s no tank can actually tank. Then again people used to wait before opening up on mobs.

Givin fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 15, 2015

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Givin posted:

EDIT: Did they change the agro of disease spells like Disease Cloud for SKs? Used to be if you wanted to hold agro you could chain cast that like paladins chain cast their cheap stun. None of the SKs i've grouped with do this. Rangers can do this with flame lick too if I remember.

They did, yes. Clinging Darkness is about as good as it gets for cheap aggro for SKs for a while.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Republicans posted:

They did, yes. Clinging Darkness is about as good as it gets for cheap aggro for SKs for a while.

Good to know! I just hit 12 tonight on my SK and holding agro has been balls.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Republicans posted:

Shadow Vortex was also really good.

I have no tlp experience to know if it still is. We have actual aggro spells and abilities on live.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

If there are any other weird people out there who miss Drexxel's Plane of Sky guide, I put up a mirror here. His hosting recently died.

http://www.zlizeq.com/planeofsky/

I'm back active on AB with my crew. Time to wrap up HoT with achievements and everything. Would it be a good idea to skip VoA and go straight for RoF, with regards to XP and gear? VoA quests and missions seemed a bit dull the last time I tried.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Druid/Bard are at level 15 now. Where should I head for xp at this point? I'm currently doing orcs in Sro. I tried Unrest but it's way too overcrowded. Also tried Upper Guk but it seems like the risk is higher than the reward. (Constant trains everywhere, cramped quarters)

I've also got about 100pp saved up now. What weapon(s) should I be aiming to buy for my bard? Go with the Forged Bastard Sword posted above, or is there something better I should look for?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Lavastorm. Fast repops so it's difficult to run out of mobs and the money isn't too bad for an outdoor zone. Avoid the fire elementals unless you have a magic weapon. Save the saltpeter, it's for research.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

RCarr posted:

Druid/Bard are at level 15 now. Where should I head for xp at this point? I'm currently doing orcs in Sro. I tried Unrest but it's way too overcrowded. Also tried Upper Guk but it seems like the risk is higher than the reward. (Constant trains everywhere, cramped quarters)

I've also got about 100pp saved up now. What weapon(s) should I be aiming to buy for my bard? Go with the Forged Bastard Sword posted above, or is there something better I should look for?

Something forged or Fine Steel (not even sure when this is manageable to be honest) is probably your best bet for a while, but remember that bard melee never really gets relevant (no double attack until >Luclin, and that's with AA) so make sure you've got the cash to stay up to date on your spells/songs.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Someone posted earlier about buying Krono's from players. How would that work? Paypal? How would you ensure you're not getting ripped off?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

RCarr posted:

Someone posted earlier about buying Krono's from players. How would that work? Paypal? How would you ensure you're not getting ripped off?

Paypal and buy from goons

Anyone in a guild that isn't spurgy and has lots of people online grouping I could potentially join?

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
At 15 I'd do LS or if you want to explore less-traveled zones you could also try the Karanas since you have track. I think Orc Highway in SRo (west of the beach near NRo zoneline) goes up to 17 or 18 too. For plat you could try Nybright sisters in LFay. Past 30 or so in Classic the outdoor options really taper off and you pretty much have to do dungeons.

You are right UGuk and Unrest are shitfests, I wasted an hour in Guk last night with no net gain in XP. So many bad players.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dracneir posted:

You are right UGuk and Unrest are shitfests, I wasted an hour in Guk last night with no net gain in XP. So many bad players.

They finally did it - they recreated the original EQ reality.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Are the warrens on Phinny or was that a later zone?

I decided to start on the opposite side of the world im used to. It's fun!

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Warrens is Velious.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
IIRC on Sleeper/Combine or whatever the first prog servers were it was unlocked with like, Velious, but that may have changed for modern TLPs.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Aw drat, I wanted some ninja armor.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pilsner posted:

If there are any other weird people out there who miss Drexxel's Plane of Sky guide, I put up a mirror here. His hosting recently died.

http://www.zlizeq.com/planeofsky/

I'm back active on AB with my crew. Time to wrap up HoT with achievements and everything. Would it be a good idea to skip VoA and go straight for RoF, with regards to XP and gear? VoA quests and missions seemed a bit dull the last time I tried.

I've been playing a lot on test, but I think I want to play on a real server. I was thinking about getting a heroic on one of the other servers. You got room in your guild?

Also Skip all of VoA aside from that it looks cool, and it's one of my favorite LOOKING zones, that poo poo is DULLLLL.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pilsner posted:

You're best off skipping VoA, maybe going back at 100 or 105 for the things you want from it. RoF has some good quests, the ones in Shard's Landing are pretty entertaining.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bought a Blackened Alloy Longsword. What an upgrade.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Partisans in Rain of Fear gave huge amounts of exp. For their level, at least. I don't know what happened to them after the arbitrary nerf.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

Partisans in Rain of Fear gave huge amounts of exp. For their level, at least. I don't know what happened to them after the arbitrary nerf.

#rekt

Edit: Best plan for RoF partisans for 101+ characters is to save them in your reward window. Then kill yourself down to ~98, claim them all while under 101, and Expedient Recovery your corpse exp back.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 16, 2015

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

RCarr posted:

Bought a Blackened Alloy Longsword. What an upgrade.

I'm debating buying a krono to get some cash to buy better gear, drat you EQ microtransactions

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The Rage posted:

I'm debating buying a krono to get some cash to buy better gear, drat you EQ microtransactions

I traded a krono for a BABS yesterday. Totally worth it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Druid/Bard combo is now 17!

Bard gets so much more fun when you get mez. Now I can actually do something other than pull and auto attack!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

lemonslol posted:

I've been playing a lot on test, but I think I want to play on a real server. I was thinking about getting a heroic on one of the other servers. You got room in your guild?

Also Skip all of VoA aside from that it looks cool, and it's one of my favorite LOOKING zones, that poo poo is DULLLLL.
My guild is just a dummy guild for the sake of having a guild hall and such. :)

You should only roll on AB if you're European though; for the low ping. If you're in the USA, there won't be any benefit.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Who's the guy in EoE here? Hoohah? Grouped with Forrest (ranger) from your guild in Unrest and had a blast. It's nice playing with people who know the game and their class. Are you guys recruiting? Any chance I could get my bard in there with you guys? He's level 17 at the moment.

Also have a 17 Druid if you guys are hurting for heals.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 16, 2015

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

RCarr posted:

Who's the guy in EoE here? Hoohah? Grouped with Forrest (ranger) from your guild in Unrest and had a blast. It's nice playing with people who know the game and their class. Are you guys recruiting? Any chance I could get my bard in there with you guys? He's level 17 at the moment.

Also have a 17 Druid if you guys are hurting for heals.

It is I. I'm playing Zelas (enchanter) and Serri (cleric) but anyone in the guild can invite right now. We need bodies, play the class you want to play.

Guild Plug
Echoes of Elysium did classic till secrets of faydwer on Vulak, then secrets to house of thule on Fippy, including the unlock kills for Underfoot and the first half of House of Thule. There wasn't really a set intention to redo the guild on Phinigel, but once Damdor started playing and we started gabbing with some of the core from EoE, The EoE was remade. We intend to raid, but every single officer (myself included) has stated that the poopsocking will not be happening, unless we have a force online to grab the daily respawns on bosses and we can confidently win the race. There's no application stuff necessary right now, just hit up Damdor, Hamshire, Selan/Sesrak, Rhaok, or myself (Zelas/Serri) if you have questions, and if you want to join, ask almost anyone. We're just relaxing and leveling right now, and generally bullshit around on TS. You can check https://www.echoesofelysium.com and look through the news for the cavalcade of our previous achievements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7K1hX1kqI is recommended viewing (yes, it's a downfall parody, but even Damdor laughs his rear end off at it, and he's nothing like that anymore).

Please don't join if you have a thin skin or can't handle people being offensive in TS. You can always mute them. I'm not sure what the 'plans' to make the raiding force are, at the moment it sounds like we simply want numbers.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cool, I'll shoot you a tell after work today. Thanks!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hoohah posted:

It is I. I'm playing Zelas (enchanter) and Serri (cleric) but anyone in the guild can invite right now. We need bodies, play the class you want to play.

Guild Plug
Echoes of Elysium did classic till secrets of faydwer on Vulak, then secrets to house of thule on Fippy, including the unlock kills for Underfoot and the first half of House of Thule. There wasn't really a set intention to redo the guild on Phinigel, but once Damdor started playing and we started gabbing with some of the core from EoE, The EoE was remade. We intend to raid, but every single officer (myself included) has stated that the poopsocking will not be happening, unless we have a force online to grab the daily respawns on bosses and we can confidently win the race. There's no application stuff necessary right now, just hit up Damdor, Hamshire, Selan/Sesrak, Rhaok, or myself (Zelas/Serri) if you have questions, and if you want to join, ask almost anyone. We're just relaxing and leveling right now, and generally bullshit around on TS. You can check https://www.echoesofelysium.com and look through the news for the cavalcade of our previous achievements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7K1hX1kqI is recommended viewing (yes, it's a downfall parody, but even Damdor laughs his rear end off at it, and he's nothing like that anymore).

Please don't join if you have a thin skin or can't handle people being offensive in TS. You can always mute them. I'm not sure what the 'plans' to make the raiding force are, at the moment it sounds like we simply want numbers.

Sounds cool, I'd like to join in next time I have a chance to play (hopefully tonight, but work/life balance sucks atm) and I'll hit you up, characters are Gegen/Galelor in game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hoohah posted:

Guild Plug
... We intend to raid, but every single officer (myself included) has stated that the poopsocking will not be happening, unless we have a force online to grab the daily respawns on bosses and we can confidently win the race.

I'm all in favour of not poopsocking, but I feel compelled to ask again... why would that for a moment be necessary on a server with instanced raid targets? The only thing that I can think of would be perhaps certain epic mobs, but those aren't out yet. I'm starting to think that I don't understand something about instancing on this server. Perhaps it's more limited than I think.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The guild thing says they're planning to not do that though? Unless there is enough people on to kill a target that spawned outside of their instance?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm all in favour of not poopsocking, but I feel compelled to ask again... why would that for a moment be necessary on a server with instanced raid targets? The only thing that I can think of would be perhaps certain epic mobs, but those aren't out yet. I'm starting to think that I don't understand something about instancing on this server. Perhaps it's more limited than I think.

E-peen and a chance at double loots per week. With a 90 day window between expansions, maximizing gear distribution is the best way to ensure competitiveness come the next opening. It's basically MAXXXXXIMUMPOOPSOCKING! which really, really only matters to AS/TL. Who, incidently, are being the most brash and annoying about "being first" at it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are instances going to be able to be controlled? Like if you bring in a raid full of 50 people, it will automatically spawn a new instance for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
They're probably requested like the old raid tasks, the earliest of which was Gates of Discord era I think. Form a raid, raid leader tries to zone in and a raid task (expedition?) is formed using the raid UI, which means a cap of 72 players.