Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

It really is bizarre to me that they didn't book that kid. He's so much more naturalistic. Even the third kid is leagues better than Lloyd's stilted, practiced reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

RBA Starblade posted:

He should have sounded as James Earl Jones as a 9 year old. No explanation why.
YIPPEE.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

He should have sounded as James Earl Jones as a 9 year old. No explanation why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_H3_g9PhnM

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
RE: James Earl Jones, I rewatched the prequels last month, and it was so silly hearing him ask about Padme after the transformation.

Like, it was so surreal. Real Darth Vader concerned about a person named Padme.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fred Breakfast posted:

Yeah, heaven forbid the audience actually ask for a good story. Jesus Christ that is the dumbest loving argument....

The story is that a sweet little munchkin child becomes a sadistic supervillain. That other kid didn't come across as a scrappy, happy-go-lucky Tom Sawyer type; he practically had a thousand-yard stare. Also he was putting the moves on Padme like some sort of prepubescent Casanova.

Lloyd, on the other hand, was just innocently blurting stuff out like an actual kid. Actual kids don't pepper their casual conversations with pregnant pauses and studied looks betraying a deep wellspring of tortured emotion. The kid had too much training compared to Lloyd. Chances are he'd been dragged to so many acting classes and auditions by his parents that he didn't even know how to act like an actual kid anymore.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I should have played Anakin why didn't George ask me?

Holy gently caress Jake Lloyd's older than me.

Cnut the Great posted:

Chances are he'd been dragged to so many acting classes and auditions by his parents that he didn't even know how to act like an actual kid anymore.

That's a lot to put on a child based on 4 seconds of video footage.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
no one wants to watch an actual child in a movie. They want to watch a movie child, who is just precocious enough. God Lloyd was poo poo. Shoulda made anakin a teen.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

It's more productive to discuss the film that's in the projector than the film that's in your imagination.

Okay:

The film in the projector missed its target and failed to reach the heights of other movies in the saga, hence the low marks by critics. And with the behind the scenes of these movies being religiously documented, it opens up a window of speculation of what could have been. You know, a thing every human being ever has pondered about something.

The movie I want vs the movie I saw isn't as different as you're suggesting. The biggest problem by far is execution.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

The story is that a sweet little munchkin child becomes a sadistic supervillain. That other kid didn't come across as a scrappy, happy-go-lucky Tom Sawyer type; he practically had a thousand-yard stare.

Let's be fair: Anakin was a slave without a father and had a proximity bomb in his head.

Cnut the Great posted:

Also he was putting the moves on Padme like some sort of prepubescent Casanova.

Ha, that actually explains his actions in Attack of the Clones.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I'm kinda amazed you managed to conjure up a reply to that extremely stupid post by Bill

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fred Breakfast posted:

Okay:

The film in the projector missed its target and failed to reach the heights of other movies in the saga, hence the low marks by critics. And with the behind the scenes of these movies being religiously documented, it opens up a window of speculation of what could have been. You know, a thing every human being ever has pondered about something.

The movie I want vs the movie I saw isn't as different as you're suggesting. The biggest problem by far is execution.

"Execution" is the free space in prequel criticism bingo, and the rest of this post still just means that you were told a different story than the one you were expecting.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I can't decide what I want more:
  a. An incredible, timeless Star Wars film
  b. Schadenfreudgasm watching billions of nerds drown in rage-tears

Help me SA. You're my only hope.

e: I want the shadenfreude

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jerkface posted:

no one wants to watch an actual child in a movie.

Nah. A naturalistic child could be great in a movie if handled properly.

There's a fine line between annoying and childlike. Jake Lloyd never really crosses it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Toops posted:

Apparently you can have both, provided it decimates the EU and proves to be accessible to people who aren't Star Wars obsessives. That's what I'm hoping for, personally.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

The schadenfreude is tempting but I'm imagining how awesome it would be for a new Star Wars movie to surprise everyone and be a major critical success ala Fury Road.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Basebf555 posted:

The schadenfreude is tempting but I'm imagining how awesome it would be for a new Star Wars movie to surprise everyone and be a major critical success ala Fury Road.

Fury Road generally had low expectations though and was kind of a surprise hit commercially as well, so it won't be anything like that even if it is good.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

"Execution" is the free space in prequel criticism bingo, and the rest of this post still just means that you were told a different story than the one you were expecting.

Head canon is the free space in prequel defense bingo, and the rest of this post just still means that you can't accept the fact that the movies aren't as good as you want them to be. See what I did here?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bongo Bill posted:

Attention everybody: When attempting to phrase your dislike of the Star Wars prequels, you must refrain from mentioning:

- Plot
- Acting
- Effects of any kind
- Any ind of fix for perceived flaws in plot or story
- Robots
- Slaves
- Sheev

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Attention everybody: When attempting to phrase your dislike of the Star Wars prequels, you must refrain from mentioning:

- Plot
- Acting
- Effects of any kind
- Robots
- Slaves
- Sheev

Don't talk poo poo on Sheev, bruh.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just came home from seeing the movie. My spoiler-free analysis: way better than the start to the previous trilogy. Details:

I felt like there was a bit too much action without a breather and maybe a bit too many one-liners. I honestly can't remember if there was this much comedy in the original Star Wars, I have to check it again. Finn honestly felt a lot like a comic relief character whereas Rey was the more stoic one.

The third reich First order speech before shooting the superweapon was hammy as hell. My friend and I laughed during how over the top cheesy it was. It seemed a bit too easy to casually wipe out the Republic with a perfect splitting god ray.

Despite this I enjoyed it very much and my rear end didn't start to squirm, even though we had like 15 minutes of commercials after the movie was marked to start.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

- Plot
- Acting
- Effects of any kind
- Robots
- Slaves
- Sheev

Please limit discussion of the prequel films to their filmic qualities. Thank you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm just saying that the word "execution" by itself is not a convincing argument or useful summary, despite how often it is used verbatim.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
the execution of the prequels? I'm for it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fred Breakfast posted:

Don't talk poo poo on Sheev, bruh.

That's what I'm saying, Sheev is strictly off-limits. No complaints about Sheev.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The key thing is, unlike in the real world where you can assume most people will agree with you, here you need to assume someone may want to debate with you about the prequels. So you can't just say "the plot sucked, the acting sucked and the whole thing was bad execution" without someone asking just what you mean by that.

Plenty of people have made very specific posts about what they find wrong with the prequels and those are always appreciated. Sometimes I think the initial disagreement is construed as some sort of insult when really its an invitation to what could be an interesting discussion. Certain posters have a tone that can be condescending though, which doesn't help matters.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Jerkface posted:

no one wants to watch an actual child in a movie. They want to watch a movie child, who is just precocious enough. God Lloyd was poo poo. Shoulda made anakin a teen.

They should have just *started* with Attack of the Clones in terms of age. By which I mean had Anakin already learning from Kenobi. Then you could have spent 2 entire movies actually building a real friendship between them. Anakin interacts with Ben essentially zero time at all in Phantom Menace (Qui-Gon gets all that relationship-building time for no good reason. He's a completely superfluous character and nothing was gained by not having Ben do all the stuff he did), and by Attack of the Clones he's already petulant and there's no indication other than being directly told in the dialog that they're friends in the slightest. We never saw the shift. Spend your first two films exploring that relationship so that it means something in Part 3 when it all crumbles to nothing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The idea of starting with the "pure innocence" of a child is great. It assumes that it heightens empathy and connection and makes the audience struggle harder while watching someone grow up into the dictator of the galaxy. The prequels are completely full of good ideas like this.

The execution of all these ideas is what causes the...varied...reactions to them.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ComposerGuy posted:

They should have just *started* with Attack of the Clones in terms of age. By which I mean had Anakin already learning from Kenobi. Then you could have spent 2 entire movies actually building a real friendship between them. Anakin interacts with Ben essentially zero time at all in Phantom Menace (Qui-Gon gets all that relationship-building time for no good reason. He's a completely superfluous character and nothing was gained by not having Ben do all the stuff he did), and by Attack of the Clones he's already petulant and there's no indication other than being directly told in the dialog that they're friends in the slightest. We never saw the shift. Spend your first two films exploring that relationship so that it means something in Part 3 when it all crumbles to nothing.

One reason to start where he did is to have Padme be his mother (and the loss of his mother) all over again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Toops posted:

It can be both, and probably will be.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darko posted:

The idea of starting with the "pure innocence" of a child is great. It assumes that it heightens empathy and connection and makes the audience struggle harder while watching someone grow up into the dictator of the galaxy. The prequels are completely full of good ideas like this.

The execution of all these ideas is what causes the...varied...reactions to them.

Solution:

Episode 1 Anakin is a child, Obi Wan befriends him.

Episode 2 Anakin is 15-16, he's still cool with Obi Wan and everything's good, and an exciting plot is happening and we see the two characters bond a lot. Maybe the film ends with some event that causes a rift between them.

Episode 3 Anakin is 20 and starting to develop some legit grievances. Then spend a full 2 hours turning him (rather than the 25 minutes we got in RotS).

Or make Anakin older from the start (ie 30 or so) and have at least all of Episode 1 involve him as a fully fledged Jedi who helps out with whatever the plot is. Then have Episode 3 be 99% about the Empire's rise, and Anakin's turn is a small piece of that puzzle.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Looking at the tomatometer, it looks all the critics are saying "Yea, it's pretty good..."

They're not claiming to have been awed.

Star Trek Into Darkness has a very high critical approval percentage as well and now that movie is derided.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You won't have a schadenfreudegasm like with the prequels because those that do will take great lengths to tell you that they weren't upset at the latest Star Wars movie that they didn't grow up with because they didn't grow up with it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

95% tomato meter is great news no matter how you slice it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Toops posted:

You can get b. with almost anything, even good things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

starry skies above posted:

Star Trek Into Darkness has a very high critical approval percentage as well and now that movie is derided.

It is?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cargohills posted:

That doesn't apply to the Star Wars EU, given that they weren't mentioned beyond little nods in any of the 6 previous films. The Disney canon will be just the same, because only a very small proportion of the people who watch Star Wars read the comics or books.

Beyond the fact that the prequel trilogy did actually acknowledge at least one part of the EU, there were also television shows, video games and other material which absolutely recognized the EU in fairly significant ways. If you liked Mara Jade there were two video games where you could play as her.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm just saying that the word "execution" by itself is not a convincing argument or useful summary, despite how often it is used verbatim.

Dude, I posted an example of where they missed the mark.

Darko posted:

Totally. There are good movies in there waiting to be chiseled out, and that's what makes it more frustrating. The problem isn't that Anakin is 9 or that Yoda is present etc. The movie(s) just needed a good punch-up and a sounding board for Ol' George.

Honestly, if god-emperor himself Lawrence Kasdan had a hand in writing the PT, I doubt they would be that much different, at least character and location wise.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Darko posted:

This is a valid point. I think the biggest let-down of the prequels for me was the completely botched relationship between Anakin and Ben.

Because Alec Guiness could act the poo poo out of literally anything, his delivery of the line "...and he was a good friend" in Hope, complete with his facial expressions really makes you believe that they were the best of friends and Ben is sad and melancholic about losing him. There was clear history there.

So when they finally decided to show that history, the hosed it up big time. We're never given any real sense that the two of them were friends at all. The Kenobi of the prequels spends most of them highly annoyed by his "friend" and Anakin resents Kenobi almost from the jump. The 10-year skip from Phantom to Clones makes it worse, because they make all these references to events that you never see that supposedly cemented their bond, but it doesn't play.

Maybe my real issue is with Qui-Gon, who, as I said, is completely superfluous. If you take his character and just have Ben do everything he did, he suddenly has at least SOME connection with child Anakin. There's literally no connection at all between them in Phantom. None. And Ben only takes on Anakin as his apprentice because it was Qui-Gon's dying wish.

Make Ben the renegade (which is alluded to anyway by Yoda in the OT when he talks about Ben like "I've watched this one a long time and he's headstrong and always running off when he shouldn't be") who tends to defy the council and has a different way of looking at the Force. Give all that poo poo to him.

Hell, having Ben find Anakin and push so hard to have him trained despite his age would even add something interesting to the scene in Empire when ghost-Ben and Yoda argue about whether Luke should be trained. Here's Yoda looking at yet another dangerous kid Kenobi has brought to him insisting he be trained because he's "the chosen one" or whatever.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The EU was clearly only allowed to run rampant with the whims of bad genre writers because they never intended to actually make any post-ROTJ movies. That changed when Disney bought the company and assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

starry skies above posted:

Looking at the tomatometer, it looks all the critics are saying "Yea, it's pretty good..."

They're not claiming to have been awed.

If you're unwilling to accept anything but complete and total satisfaction you're setting yourself up for disappointment

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 16, 2015

• Locked thread