Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

JosefStalinator posted:

You got so screwed by the exploded kneecap and death of the DH :(. Your absolute ratings are actually decent, but there's so many good 1B's and DH refugees, it's hurting your playing time. You're also listed as a CF for some reason :wtc:

This is what I get for making a powerhouse and not New "Slappers Only" Concept, his Darkworld gritty second basemen doppelganger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

New Concept Hole posted:

This is what I get for making a powerhouse and not New "Slappers Only" Concept, his Darkworld gritty second basemen doppelganger.

According to many of the other posters, the abolition of the DH means we are already in the darkest timeline.

I disagree, because Bonds is in the hall, and the Dodgers didn't win every World Series.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Good to see Seth finally make the majors. Hopefully he doesn't stay a reliever and I hope he's been working on his changeup because everything else has been progressing well except that.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I wrote off the Big Man, and he comes storming into the majors and wins a World Series ring! Yay! Alright! :toot:

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Yeah, removing the DH was some horseshit. Poor communist bear.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bukowski's greed is so low and his loyalty is so high that he's going to stick with Miami in free agency, isn't he?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why is Byron Buxton a Mariners

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

JosefStalinator posted:

2022 MLB Awards
AL MVP: Jotaro Nakayama (again)
NL MVP: David Dahl (again)
NL Cy Young: Rick Hardslab! :woop:
AL Cy Young: Benjamin Koff
NL Rookie of the Year: Rick Hardslab! :woop:

:wow: Congrats Rick Hardslab! I wondered if you'd get rookie of the year, but you also manage the NL Cy Young in your first year in the majors! Arizona has a bargain, and a bright future with you on board.

Congrats to Rick. I'm sure he benefited immensely from Ammat O'Goku's expert pitch framing and game calling.

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
Dang, Kirby rocking a 58/80 rating. His time in the minors has been good to him so far, apparently. Now if that starting Red Sox 2B can just break a leg or something...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Congrats to Rick. I'm sure he benefited immensely from Ammat O'Goku's expert pitch framing and game calling.

I'll look later to see if O'Goku caught him at any point. It's a safe bet, even if the Diamondbacks have been really stingy in using O'Goku.

Auk14HP posted:

Dang, Kirby rocking a 58/80 rating. His time in the minors has been good to him so far, apparently. Now if that starting Red Sox 2B can just break a leg or something...

That would be all-star 2B Mookie Betts :(. I would hope for a trade or some rapid decline on Betts' part.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, made the majors, at 24 no less! Time to Matt Duffy my way into the lineup.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

I'll look later to see if O'Goku caught him at any point. It's a safe bet, even if the Diamondbacks have been really stingy in using O'Goku.

That would be all-star 2B Mookie Betts :(. I would hope for a trade or some rapid decline on Betts' part.

Don't dodge my question :colbert:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
more like roll fizzleout

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Now Smirnov's moving up a lot. Would've been cool to see what he could've done if he weren't in rookie ball for four seasons.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Why is Byron Buxton a Mariners

The Mariners are currently paying 100 million dollars for four players: Sonny Gray, Buxton, Kenny Vargas, and Shae Simmons (a newbie) :downs:

Also 10 million for Cody Asche lol

EDIT: And Buxton's injury proneness is listed as "wrecked"

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'm amazed that OOTP managed to predict almost exactly how terrible Buxton was in 2015.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ice To Meet You posted:

I'm amazed that OOTP managed to predict almost exactly how terrible Buxton was in 2015.

But in this world, he won Rookie of the Year in 2016 :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

The Mariners are currently paying 100 million dollars for four players: Sonny Gray, Buxton, Kenny Vargas, and Shae Simmons (a newbie) :downs:

Also 10 million for Cody Asche lol

EDIT: And Buxton's injury proneness is listed as "wrecked"

oh god please don't mirror real life :ohdear:

Also I think Simmons is a real prospect in the Braves system and is a really really good RP

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Well, Mangles has managed to make it to the Show with a sub .600 OPS.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

But in this world, he won Rookie of the Year in 2016 :)

But he also developed power, so we know it's not that realistic.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

New Concept Hole posted:

Hey, we can't all be starting on the D-Backs. :smugdog:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Eeep. Didn't think my prediction about soon hitting .136 would come true...

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey, we can't all be starting on the D-Backs. :smugdog:

Yea-

uh, I mean

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey, we can't all be on the D-Backs. :smugdog:

Y- yeah... :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bukowski is going to end up an A's reliever in about 7 years, should be fun

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The game just one-upped abolishing the DH. I can't even believe what I'm seeing.

It's all for you, Yankees fans. It always was.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
A-rod 100% first ballot?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Jeets named commissioner of baseball.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

:f5: :f5: :f5:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2023 Season

Last season was a bit of a watershed for goons. We had even more callups and by the end of the season, a majority of the goons who will ever be in the majors made it up, and of those goons in the minors, even more are seeing their chance to make it to the majors disappear as they become undesirable minor league free agents.

Some will get another chance, and some who are already in the majors will fail. Here's goon statuses on opening day:

2023 Opening Day Status

13 goons start the season in the majors, with another 10 waiting in AAA. We're at the point where only 6 employed goons are outside of AAA or MLB, and it's getting desperate for those without a job. We may see some retirements this year.

The other thing we're going to see this year is goons starting to get paid! Johnson and Unts were ahead of the curve, but more of you will start to hit arbitration this year, or have your arbitration eligible years bought out with a contract.

Krusty Unts is furious that Hardslab captivated us last season and hogged all his glory. Now he's come out swinging in 2023, winning NL player of the week.

Squires Jr. seems to be stuck in the land of AAAA. He's clearly too good for AAA but struggles a bit when he makes it to the majors. As a result, the Twins have bounced him around between AAA and MLB, and they'll have to decide soon what to do with him once he runs out of options.

Sam Booty wins batter of the week in... AA? He's actually furious about his situation, as he started the season in the majors, but a lackluster performance saw him demoted to AAA and then AA. The Padres apparently think he needs more time, but the clock's ticking, as his major league service timer has begun to roll. He'll be eligible for arbitration in a few years, and the Padres are losing out on cheap rookie time.

Xander Bogaerts got traded again, this time to the Mariners, from the Cubs. His genesis has been a bit weird, and goons have been heavily involved in it. He was first traded from Boston to the Nationals in exchange for Bryce Harper (and Föstólfur "Iceberg" Eyjafjallajökull). Shocking absolutely no one, it was a dumb as hell trade, and the Red Sox got away with a steal. The Nationals though managed to unload Bogaerts in exchange for Jorge Soler from the Cubs... because Soler was marginally worse than MVP Krusty Unts, and was not realizing his potential there, doubling up at RF.

Now Bogaerts is coming off three mediocre seasons in a row, and was traded to the Mariners for some random and unremarkable prospects. Will he make his comeback.

2023 All Star Break

Two goons makes it this year, congrats Krusty "C" Unts on your third straight All-Star vote! You're having another good year and riding off that national popularity. You're considered "extremely popular" both locally and nationally, having been a late participant to the Cubs' world series runs. And congrats to Jackson "Sweetfeet" McGee, who is the darling of every hipster in central Texas.

Goon Status 2023 All-Star Break

Jackson McGee continues to grow, and actually leads goons in WAR and OPS, with a clear lead over the rest of the goons at the midway point. Unts and Johnson make up the next tier, with the duo slugging it out for the second best goon (and playtime). Distressingly, Johnson continues to struggle to get 20+ HR's in one season, as he remains cursed and locked in the worst ballpark in baseball for his type of player.

Frazier and Ordonez
are also having great seasons, though Ordonez has a bit more power to show for his lower average, while the morbidly obese Frazier brings great catcher defense. Both are perpetually on the verge of breaking out, and are on contending teams.

Callahan is grateful for the break given his disappointing first half of the season, and Hrenchuk continues to struggle with limited at bats. O'Goku is criminally underutilized (TRADE HIM ALREADY) while MacGregor is easing into things, and New Concept is desperately trying to remain relevant.

Hardslab fell back down to earth a little bit so far, and has been pitching deep into games with 121 IP only halfway through the season, but has been otherwise fantastic. Bukowski is benefiting from more opportunities with Miami gradually ascending (and Giancarlo Stanton, otherwise forgotten, somehow remembering how to hit in 2023), and Hockles is an unspectacular reliever who is seeing more high leverage situations, gradually (holds) on the first place Astros.

The second half sees McGee heat up even more, winning AL player of the month for August

:rip: Monicro suffers a particularly nasty shoulder injury, and misses the end of the season and will recuperate for much of the offseason. He's destroying AAA but his control rating has tanked, so it remains to be seen whether they'll bother promoting him - or even retaining him.

2023 Regular Season Standings

:eyepop: Arizona, what the gently caress happened? Well, Yasmany Tomas, the 80 rated slugger missed another season, Hardslab finally fell to earth, and the rest of the rotation simply collapsed. It was a disastrous year for Arizona all around, dooming our goon's playoff changes.

New Concept may make an appearance or two on the Reds, but only from the bench. The same goes for Bill Hrenchuk, who is stuck benched behind a good SS and decent 3B on the Padres. Simon MacGregor is ALSO trapped on the bench, as is Föstólfur "Iceberg" Eyjafjallajökull with Baltimore.

The only one likely to see regular action is Raul Ordonez on the willdcard Rangers, Hockles as a reliever for Houston, and Seth Iroth, who isn't even on the Yankees playoff roster, but might if they need some pitching depth :(.

Nelson Frazier would have seen some play from the Pirates, but they blew a game 163 tiebreaker against the Nationals for the second Wildcard spot.

2023 Playoff Results

:negative:, of course. Of course Texas loses right away, which takes out the only regular starter goon in the playoffs.Ordonez went 1 for 4 but it wasn't enough, as Baltimore topped Texas 9-7.

Moosejaw did well in his limited ALDS play, but the Astros got outclassed by Baltimore. No good things can ever come Texas' way.

Hrenchuk got 9 AB and managed a hit in two of them, but still saw limited play in the NLDS and NLCS, as the Padres tanked.

And in the end, no one else even got to play! But that doesn't matter, because Congrats Seth Iroth, you're the third goon to win a ring! All you need to do to get a ring is appear even once in the regular season, and your 1.2 IP in 2023 qualify you. You didn't give up any runs in any of them, just one walk and 3 K's, so good work I guess!

Even if it means the Yankees win. But the best (worst?) is yet to come....

Notable Minor League Awards
-Kirby Bissel wins player of the week!
-Average "Meh" Kilza wins player of the week twice and had 5 hits in one game!
-Andrei Smirnov wins player of the month!
-Sud Belig wins batter of the month!
-Föstólfur "Iceberg" Eyjafjallajökull wins player of the week and month, and is named MVP of the IL! This is despite being promoted at the end of the season.

2023 MLB Awards
NL MVP: Justin Bellinger (1B on the reds... sorry New Concept...)
AL MVP: Mike Trout (3rd place, Jackson McGee)
AL Cy Young: Aroldis Chapman (There's hope, Bukowski, a reliever got it!)
NL Cy Young: Alex Wood

Awards were a bit disappointing as I'd hoped McGee might get something, but Trout was his usual self and destroyed again, this season. McGee really should have been second but the second place guy was chosen for some bizarre reason, as he was inferior to McGee in most ways, even dingers.

2023 Hall of Fame Results

Alex Rodriguez is elected to the Hall of Fame. On the first ballot. With. One. Hundred. Percent. Of. The. Votes.

I don't even care about Ortiz or Helton anymore.

Alex Rodriguez is now, according to the Hall of Fame, the greatest player of all time. Not a single baseball purist thought a man who was suspended for PED use for a full season to be unworthy of their ballot. A man whose career was extended due to the DH - which would later be abolished, making him the last great DH in baseball history. All this after spending a decade delaying Bonds and other PED users due to ~~concerns about the integrity of the game~~.

Babe Ruth was not unanimous. Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron...

Every single person on this list did not receive as many hall of fame votes: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofmem4.shtml

This is it. This is proof, that the Yankees are God's team. I'm going to purchase my gear right now.

2023 Finances

Some of you get raises! Unts and Johnson continue along in their contracts, with Unts signed through 2028 and Johnson trapped in the Dinger deflating stadium of ATT park until 2027.

Jackson McGee rapidly becomes a millionaire, receiving a 4.8 million arbitration salary, in only his first arb eligible year.

Bukowski gets a small bump up to 4.3 million, Hrenchuk 1.2 million, O'Goku 1.1 million, and Callahan a mere 800k. Not sure why Callahan's is lower than a backup catcher, but I guess his poor 2023 performance played a role. If only it was based on his 2022 performance, he would have made a lot more.

Everyone else simply makes the league minimum, for now. Soon we'll exhaust our rookies, and really get paid.

2023 Goon Status

Player Status

MLB Batting

MLB Pitching

First off, two new goons retire. Glorious "Communist" Bear and Yost "Grit" Bot are put down and decommissioned, respectively. But maybe reprogrammed is the right word, for both will be converted into coaches, where they may find more success :). In fact, Carlton Barlton and Orkun Sahin are both coaches in AA, and maybe we'll see our goons take charge of a major league team some day!

The obvious goon MVP this season was Jackson McGee, who is shaping up to be a true superstar. If he and Hardslab ever faced one another, or even better, were on the same team, it would be something to watch. Hardslab may have suffered a bit this year due to overuse and fatigue (which is modelled in OOTP), so I hope he does better next year.

Otherwise goons were kinda disappointing. Johnson is really suffering in SF, barely hitting .230 without even making 20 home runs, but walking enough to make up for it and stay a strong player. Frazier, Ordonez, and Callahan are hovering a bit too close to the Mendoza line for comfort, but they have some power to compensate. Everyone else on the batter's side need to see more at bats, but only New Concept is really getting any attention - and it's the smallest sample, behind the NL MVP at 1B. Maybe MacGregor or Hrenchuk can convince their coaches to let them start.

Hardslab remains the only SP, but Bukowski is getting so many appearances, I wonder why he didn't earn more saves across the year. He managed to somehow blow 8 of his 17 second half opportunities, and Miami tanked, capping his saves total yet again in the 30's. I think Hockles just needs time, but I'd love if he somehow became a closer too.

Before we end, I realize I forgot something. Most of you have baseball cards generated from your awards you've won. Here's a few!

Thus it ends, the Year of the Yankee.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 17, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

New Concept Hole posted:

A-rod 100% first ballot?

You called it!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

JosefStalinator posted:

You called it!

:woop:

Also New Concept is a Center Fielder now, apparently! ...!?

E: 255lb CF with bad knees that were 1B when they were healthy

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

New Concept Hole posted:

:woop:

Also New Concept is a Center Fielder now, apparently! ...!?

E: 255lb CF with bad knees that were 1B when they were healthy

Yeah I noticed that last update, I don't get why he's listed as a CF. I dont think he's ever been used as one.

Also I really need to update the excel sheet with your guys' current info, but I'll do it tomorrow. I'll try uploading the files to the website tonight though, and hopefully this time it won't freeze halfway through.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

New Concept Hole posted:

A-rod 100% first ballot?

:captainpop::captainpop:

Not a bad season for Unts. I feel like he's settling in to be an above average power guy but not likely to be a perennial MVP.

Three ASG appearances in a row is nothing to shake a stick at, though!

e: also just noticed McGee is a shortstop. He's gonna get PAID

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
Is...is that Kirby Bissell on a major league roster?

:911: It's beautiful!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Rip grit Bot, decommissioned to a pasture in St Louis

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Baltimore please give ol Frosty (a cooler nickname than Iceberg now that I think about it) a chance.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
For god's sake just let me retire and put me out of my misery.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Gotta get your K/9 up Hardslab I'm punking the poo poo out of you three seasons in a row now

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This news about A-Rod is the best, the fact that Harry's back in AAA doesn't even bother me.

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Is the Yankees pitching depth so ridiculous I can't even make the roster with a 70 overall

• Locked thread