Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QuoProQuid posted:

That just sets the stage for a third fourth party LBJ run in 1968.

Nixon would win every state with three people cracking the 1960 Democratic vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Corek posted:

Nixon would win every state with three people cracking the 1960 Democratic vote.

He does have a secret plan to win in Vietnam...

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also C.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
When do we get to name the awesomely named and Metrodome namesake Hubert H. Humphrey to be our VP?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this thread is intentionally working against lbj. it makes me so angry. i'm shaking

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
People in this thread are some yellow cowards.

By drat we are twice the man RFK is. Anybody who chances to piss next to us at the urinal has to see that!

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

oystertoadfish posted:

this thread is intentionally working against lbj. it makes me so angry. i'm shaking

I'm getting memories of the Crete LP already.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

This brings me to the thought: If we are going to extra-judicially assassinate anybody there is an un-charismatic toad named Nixon that hasn't ever done anything to convince me not to kill him.

Just a penny for our collective thoughts.

Whoa, back off. That guy is out of politics - he even said we won't have him to kick around anymore. We can't just go out and kill some old retiree, now.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
1) Who will investigate the Kennedy assassination?
D. Robert Kennedy's Justice Department will be uniquely motivated to investigate.
By my count this was a nail-biting 20 to 19 vote in favor of D over C

November 29, 1963

You inform Robert Kennedy that he is now in charge of investigating his brother’s assassination.

You know that the problem of who is going to investigate the assassination, and the assassin’s murder, has to be addressed. The atmosphere is poisonous and has to be cleared - Russia is not immune, Cuba is not immune, Texas is not immune, and even the new President is not immune. Every day the newspapers release fresh reports of Oswald’s connection to two Communist countries. And it wasn’t just the reaction here to be mindful of. If the Russians thought that US opinion was going to turn harshly against them soon, it might provoke them into hostile action now. Jack Ruby’s single shot had turned the outrage of a nation into skepticism and doubt. The House Un-American Activities Committee is preparing to launch its own investigation.

You want to let Texas handle the investigation, your loyalty to the state that propelled you to power is too great to deny. But the newspapers are calling for a national investigation and the liberals are already preparing to whine about any FBI involvement. A national committee could be formed, staffed with unimpeachably impartial men. You almost draft an executive order creating one. But then you have a moment of machiavellian insight. You punch the phone line to your secretary.

“Get Robert Kennedy over here.”

Never trust a man unless you’ve got his pecker in your pocket, you think to yourself as Robert sits down with you. Well I'm about to geld this Irish bastard. You explain your plan to him - put the Department of Justice in charge of the investigation into the former President’s assassination. Obviously then, the FBI will be involved but the Attorney General will have final authority, not Hoover. Additionally, he can bring the full weight of his prodigiously talented staff to bear on solving the lingering questions. You tell him that his investigation, alone in all the government, will be seen as unimpeachable by the public. For a long moment Robert has nothing to say, he just stares as if trying to compass you. Then he demurs, citing the family responsibilities he has suddenly come to bear.

“In the old days in Texas, if a man got killed all his kin would rally up a posse and chase down the murderer. That wasn’t just for revenge, it was to settle a score and put the community at ease. The murderer’s dead but our nation isn’t at ease. This is not for me, this is for your country.”

Robert looks you dead in the eyes.

“I’m going to need your full support on this - I can’t get stonewalled later on,” he says.

“Course not,” you respond. You work out some of the details for about half an hour before rising and shaking his hand.

After Robert leaves, you sign Executive Order No. 11130, instructing for the full cooperation of all government agencies with the “Special Department of Justice Investigation on the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy.”

You can only hope he doesn’t someday turn that posse on you.

November 30, 1963

Much of your accomplishment thus far in these trying few days has been meaningful but ultimately symbolic. You kept Kennedy’s men around despite their protests to maintain continuity and surprised the nation with an eloquent speech. Now you have to handle the stalemate that exists between the legislature and the executive branch. You had stopped the Mundt bill, but that had been a minor thing and the former President’s very recent death had worked in your favor. The Senate has stood as an impregnable dam against social change for decades - it resisted Roosevelt in 1938 and Truman in 1948. Both times the President had directly challenged legislators from his own party and failed. It was you who had made the Senate work under Eisenhower, and that was only through a shrewd ability for parliamentary procedure. But your exile to the Vice-Presidency had reversed all of that. After three years of Kennedy governance, the southern Democrat and conservative Republican coalition seemed stronger than ever.

Kennedy’s foreign policy had been inspired - the Peace Corps, the Alliance for Progress, the nuclear test ban treaty, his skillful maneuvering during the Cuban Missile Crisis. But his domestic agenda was completely stalled. He had attempted to pass health insurance for the elderly, called Medicare, but it had been stalled for years. He tried to pass education reform that would provide federal aid for student loans, but it had failed almost entirely. Even one of his few successful programs which provided aid to depressed areas was declined annual reauthorization and thus eliminated. Civil rights was entirely caught up in interminable committee hearings. A tax bill Kennedy had considered essential to restarting the economy, supported by the consensus of leading liberal economists like John Kenneth Galbraith, was caught as well. This tax reform bill would significantly reduce personal income taxes and slightly reduce corporate tax rates. But fiscal conservatives are revolting at the prospective loss of revenue.

And the budget needs to be finalized by January 20th - less than two months away. That includes all the funding for social programs or tax bills you plan on introducing for 1964, unless they include their own revenue-raising measures. There might be a little flexibility at the end, but there won’t be much. Certainly not enough for massive tax reform. The main reason for the tax reform bill's current glacial pace is one man: Harry Byrd, chair of the Senate Finance Committee. You know him well, he had been one of your mentors in the Senate. Byrd is an ardent fiscal conservative, and is keeping the tax bill tied up in his committee until he reviews the budget. Currently the budget sits at $101.5 billion, and that's after substantial cuts. Your agency heads assure you no more reduction is possible. But Harry Byrd is adamantly opposed to a budget over $100 billion, considering it his legacy to leave a nation where economy and thrift are valued. He won’t let out a critical tax reform bill that most of your economists and advisors agree will jump-start the economy.

1) How do you approach Harry Byrd in regards to the tax reform bill?
A. Undermine Byrd on the Senate committee, try to get the tax reform bill through by going around him.
B. Cooperate with Byrd by cutting the budget below $100 billion.
C. The tax bill is costly and will cut government revenue, Byrd is right to oppose it. Drop the issue entirely.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
A. Byrd is being unreasonable, we've made significant cuts already, and mentor or no we have to put him in his place. Plus, we have to show the legislature that the office of the President is not going to cower at their every move just because we're in a time of turmoil.

Ideally undermine Byrd by yelling at him with your dick out. Still waiting for the good stuff.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
B but we drop the tax cuts for top earners and businesses in favor of a cut for the bottom brackets to win Byrd over

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

overdesigned posted:

A. Byrd is being unreasonable, we've made significant cuts already, and mentor or no we have to put him in his place. Plus, we have to show the legislature that the office of the President is not going to cower at their every move just because we're in a time of turmoil.

Ideally undermine Byrd by yelling at him with your dick out. Still waiting for the good stuff.

A. as well

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

C. There's no reason to cut taxes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

B No point angering our mentor. We can find 5 billion in savings somehow. If we can get him onside, we can use him later.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Let's B on Byrd's side for this one. If we bully everyone, we are going to end up less effective when it counts.

Make a small concession now and we will be able to rely on Byrd in the future.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Dec 16, 2015

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
D Use Kennedy's recent death as a pushing point. Inform Byrd we need solidarity in this time of crisis to show the communists we're not weak and are capable of continuing on as before if not even stronger!

(if we're doing this we might as well do it like they did in real life and milk that man's corpse for everything it is worth.)

Valinon
Aug 7, 2014
C

There is no reason to undermine Byrd as it would undercut a potentially valuable ally in the future, something that may be needed if RFK only mimics his gelding. Byrd may also be willing to embrace a more expansive domestic spending programme once the current crisis is sorted if federal revenue is robust or see any short-term annual shortfall as temporary under our future advisement.

We inherited a strong economy from JFK (not seeing any reason for the posts to change this). The recession that consumed the US economy in 1960 appears to have passed. There is strong corporate profits, the stock market has reclaimed (most) of its losses, and currently leaves the federal government with a project budget surplus for the remainder of Kennedy's term. The most worrisome economic feature is an unemployment rate that seems set to remain above 5%, even with continued growth in numerous sectors. More money in the pocket allows the White House to potentially drive up employment, continue to pursue policies of funding home building and slum eradication (a legacy of the New Deal and continuing JFK's own policies), and not worry about funding for unemployment aid or vocational training. If we can translate the surplus into practical benefits for the Silent Majority (a phrase I think we should steal before some Californian populist grabs hold of it), we can do the one thing that eluded JFK since 1961: extend the benefits of the strong economy to working men and women across the country.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Valinon posted:

C

There is no reason to undermine Byrd as it would undercut a potentially valuable ally in the future, something that may be needed if RFK only mimics his gelding. Byrd may also be willing to embrace a more expansive domestic spending programme once the current crisis is sorted if federal revenue is robust or see any short-term annual shortfall as temporary under our future advisement.

We inherited a strong economy from JFK (not seeing any reason for the posts to change this). The recession that consumed the US economy in 1960 appears to have passed. There is strong corporate profits, the stock market has reclaimed (most) of its losses, and currently leaves the federal government with a project budget surplus for the remainder of Kennedy's term. The most worrisome economic feature is an unemployment rate that seems set to remain above 5%, even with continued growth in numerous sectors. More money in the pocket allows the White House to potentially drive up employment, continue to pursue policies of funding home building and slum eradication (a legacy of the New Deal and continuing JFK's own policies), and not worry about funding for unemployment aid or vocational training. If we can translate the surplus into practical benefits for the Silent Majority (a phrase I think we should steal before some Californian populist grabs hold of it), we can do the one thing that eluded JFK since 1961: extend the benefits of the strong economy to working men and women across the country.

Agreed. C. Let's not get into some see-saw of tax-cuts and spending cuts. We can consider a less expensive tax cut but for now we're doing things with that money, good things for America. If we've already reduced the budget to 'we can't possibly cut more' then we've already cut too far.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
A. I'm the one in charge here.

For those who haven't read Caro, what did LBJ do with all these? I don't know his opinion on taxes and wheat for Russians.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
B

It's important to not let our first real act as president to be to concede to congress, but it'a also important to remember that this is just the start of our domestic agenda. We could start making enemies now, but when people really start trying to gently caress us up they'll be prepared for us. So let's make friends for now, so that we can wave our dicks in their face later and they won't know what to do.

Dropping the tax issue here would also lose a lot of confidence in us to keep the Kennedy legacy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

don Jaime posted:

A. I'm the one in charge here.

For those who haven't read Caro, what did LBJ do with all these? I don't know his opinion on taxes and wheat for Russians.

On tax reform: LBJ was persuaded by the arguments of his advisers to aggressively endorse tax reform. He thought its passage would signify his effectiveness as a leader and he worked behind the scenes to pacify Byrd. Johnson agreed to a $97.9 billion budget to pacify conservative opposition and, in return, Byrd let tax reform slide through Congress.

As a general rule, no agency ever wants its budget cut and will always claim that they have reached their limit. Though I am not endorsing unilateral cuts, it's a good idea not to take the statements of our agency heads at face value.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 14:31 on Dec 16, 2015

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Keep in mind that while we are a caretaker of JFK's legacy, we need to build a Johnson record of our own if we want the nomination for 64, otherwise it'll be "That was a heck of a job you did keeping that seat warm Johnson, but now is time to put a Kennedy back in charge."

Voting C. We can turn dropping the issue into an IOU to cash in on later when passing domestic items.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Given that RFK is on the verge of a mental breakdown and spends most of his days driving aimlessly in the rain with his hood down, I don't think we have to worry about a challenge in 1964. Giving Kennedy control of the investigation was a mistake, one which will probably come to roost in 1968, but our nomination is probably secured in the meanwhile. No one is going to challenge the sitting President.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
B
I have always voted to help build future bridges. You can't get good results by silently dropping an issue and hoping later that everybody believes you when you tell them they owe you one. Let's make drat sure everybody is good and certain what hands they are eating out of.

Plus anybody we consider to be a mentor can't be all bad.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
B

Generate some goodwill in congress from conservatives by agreeing to budget cuts which can be called back on later when needing to push through civil rights reform.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I can't decide on B or C, so

D. Show someone our massive wang already

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Xenophon posted:

Gotta save that one for when we really gently caress up and need a quick Anthony Wiener Scandal.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
C. Simply because of the lack of better alternatives.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Xenophon posted:

A, because it is at least a metaphorical wang showing.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
A

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
A. Weakness is not what we need to exhibit right now.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

A

If we're not showing Jumbo to the entire Senate on the floor while doing this, we're already hosed.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
B, but make sure he knows he owes us.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
B. What's a couple billion more or less.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
A, gently caress Byrd

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
C, gently caress tax cuts forever.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Can we raise the taxes instead?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fronz posted:

Can we raise the taxes instead?

D, 100% top marginal tax rate and announce full communism in a live televised speech.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

vyelkin posted:

D, 100% top marginal tax rate and announce full communism in a live televised speech.

I change my vote from C to D. Full communism now directed by the first Chairman of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of America, LBJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
C

• Locked thread